Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Goodbye Mark Skelton. May the gold shirt live on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
My grandad was in the Merchant Navy during the war and the worst thing that happened to him was heat stroke, the lucky bastard.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary

You might say that the topic of Derek on Guard Frequency... Smarts. :smug:

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
INN is the best NEWS SOURCE EVER!!!111!!!

But yeah, did the new TOS hit yet, or are they waiting until midnight when everyone is a sleep?

If they wait until everyone is asleep they can scam more people.

paarp

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

I don't u understand grandad chat, but want to be a part of push for 4000.

Both my grandads fought in ww2. One was an aircraft mechanic. When he died at 92 he gave me enough money to buy my first home and a thousand acres of cattle land in the South. Had to sell the house. Still paying taxes on the land. Thanks grandad!

Other grandpop taught me to shoot! I guess he was some kind of marksman. He's in photos at Normandy, and was in lots of history channel docs (photos) of that event. He wouldn't set up a target less than 100 yards. He was a hardass teaching us, tho. When he died he left me his long guns (bro got the pistolas). I got a scholarship for the bench rest team. Thanks grandpop!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mr.Tophat posted:

Pawn A3 to Conceirge B3 (200 EUC)

Free Mr.Tophat!

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Free Mr.Tophat!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
My granddad was in WWII

People say he was bad but I dunno he built a lotta roads

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Star Citizen Forever

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Is her point that Chris, Sandi and Ben are the best industry? Or that everyone else is the best and may get headhunted away except for the troika?

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

D_Smart posted:

The E.L.E is in progress. And it burns.

:f5h::fap:

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

My granpa was one of those guys. Ended up in the Waffen SS Totenkopf division, got a stomach ulcer for his trouble. I've been told some grand stories about deserting the Wehrmacht to join the Free French after the allied advance on Alsace as a kid, always wondered how much of it actually happened :v

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

G0RF posted:

Is her point that Chris, Sandi and Ben are the best industry? Or that everyone else is the best and may get headhunted away except for the troika?

My vote is that she believes both to be the case. It is simply that the Troika will never leave.

IE: All CIG staff are the best of the best and thus other companies are salivating at the thought of stealing them away. The holy Trinity however, will always stand firm in the face of temptation.

Synchronized fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 31, 2016

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

My grandfather died in Auschwitz when some douche-bag fell out of a guard tower and landed on him.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what
#freetophat

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Chocobo posted:

Please add this track to your cassette list:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkv4UVzZc4k

God I miss dank's mad riffs!

(What the heck is e.l.e. stand for?)

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

DoctorStrangelove posted:

My grandfather died in Auschwitz when some douche-bag fell out of a guard tower and landed on him.

My grandfather died in Auschwitz after a creatorium fire burning two douchebags.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

One of my grandads joined the army and manned a AAA gun guarding SHAEF in England, then later went to France after the D-Day landings (but still part of the overall invasion) and manned an AAA gun guarding an airfield.

My other grandad was an engineer & metallurgist and was deemed essential to the war effort and designed submarine parts.

sanctimoniousqfd
Dec 16, 2015

NTGhost" posted:

Hardware device dev has less to no software dev in it. firmware is mostly cookie cutter like blocks of ASM code.

Uh, the EdTracker I assembled for E:D, based on an MPU9150 and Arduino controller begs to differ... (Arduino's "sketch" language is C/C++)

e: gently caress knows why I chose that claim to invalidate before bothering to read the rest of that guy's bullshit...

sanctimoniousqfd fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 31, 2016

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
One of my great granddads served in the war, but I mentioned him. Died in a POW camp. Another one had a religious exemption because he was a Quaker minister and as far as I know he spent the war helping people build houses. The only other one I know anything about was a shady dude who started a company with his son, my grandad, to build houses out in California, and after getting a million dollar deal to do some subdivisions, took all the money and ran to Mexico. I don't know that it had anything to do with WW2, but it was certainly the most memorable thing he ever did. I can find out exactly where he fled to, if anyone at CIG needs suggestions.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

Derek Smart is my grand-dad, he fought in a war too. A different war though, in space.

also yes #freetophat

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

sanctimoniousqfd posted:

Uh, the EdTracker I assembled for E:D, based on an MPU9150 and Arduino controller begs to differ... (Arduino's "sketch" language is C/C++)

e: gently caress knows why I chose that claim to invalidate before bothering to read the rest of that guy's bullshit...

It's like saying designing a plane is strictly aerospace engineering and EE/MEs need not apply. Because it's right there in the name, see?? :downs:

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

Viktor posted:

God I miss dank's mad riffs!

(What the heck is e.l.e. stand for?)

Derek's code name for his ultimate weapon. The Extinction Level Event.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE
My grandad shot down a submarine by riddling the periscope with bullets from a fishing boat, the u-boat started flooding and they surrendered. The navy stole the credit by turning up in time for the surrender despite being over the horizon at the time of the shooting, he never forgave them.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

SurfaceDetail posted:

My grandfather died in Auschwitz after a creatorium fire burning two douchebags.

my grandfather died putting out the creamatorium fire in auschwitz

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

my grandfather fought in WW2, then retired to Argentina.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
My other grandfather was an RAF pilot, innit blud.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

My other grandad served on the Death Star :(

Ayn Marx fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 31, 2016

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Ayn Marx posted:

My grandad served on the Death Star :(

My grandad was on Alderaan, gently caress your grandad

sanctimoniousqfd
Dec 16, 2015

Justin Tyme posted:

It's like saying designing a plane is strictly aerospace engineering and EE/MEs need not apply. Because it's right there in the name, see?? :downs:

^ This.

I can't remember the last time I "wrote" assembler... scrutinized it to try to find bugs in extreme circumstances, sure, but even when I was writing device drivers and network boot GUIs on EEPROMs for network cards 12 years ago they were written in C...

sanctimoniousqfd
Dec 16, 2015

NTGhost posted:

Procedural Planets also, there was no one before 2012. they have to made this on there own. if you look at the "Demoscene" and you known what "Only written in ASM" means...you have a very little bit of glimpse of what insane stunt they try to pull of in Frankfurt or every other guy they stated "it's procedural generated". I can't plain think of any other way to do this expect in any kind of Assembler.

Wow, what is with this guy's fetish with assembler?

No, procedural generation can be implemented in ANY language... and Elite says hi from 1984 by the way (first use of the technique in games IIRC... e: apparently nope, that honour goes to Akalabeth for first to use a seed, or Beneath Apple Manor for RNG dungeon generation)!

sanctimoniousqfd fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 31, 2016

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard
http://reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4lpkst/cig_wont_present_at_pc_gaming_show_after_all/d3piz53
:allears:
"This is a good time to start complaining"
well r/starcitizen, now who had blinders on all the years?
:munch:

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

Synchronized posted:

Derek's code name for his ultimate weapon. The Extinction Level Event.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

"Memes by goons" best part of all that.

Synchronized
Jul 24, 2011
Tick Tock.

xxEightxx posted:

"Memes by goons" best part of all that.

The man has academic integrity. Cites all sources.

sanctimoniousqfd
Dec 16, 2015
Ugh...

VOADFR posted:

a Promise... really? They did not promise SQ42 by end 2016. At no point. And pushing a software release of thgis magnitude is not poo poo, it is just that too many people do not understand what is a AAA development.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4lpkst/cig_wont_present_at_pc_gaming_show_after_all/d3qi70u

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

I looked up the definition of denial and it says "Star Citizens"

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

sanctimoniousqfd posted:

I skipped that entire thing but thanks for forcing me to go back and read it what the gently caress.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
Granddad joined up for the great war and got sent home after a few weeks on account of being 14. He went back a year later and got given a plane to fly :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sanctimoniousqfd
Dec 16, 2015

TTerrible posted:

I skipped that entire thing but thanks for forcing me to go back and read it what the gently caress.

So much material there... so much...

How do these people get the money to back Star Citizen and support it with such drive(l)? I can't believe they are particularly competent in their every day jobs (assuming they require critical thinking to any degree)... Inheritances? Blind luck on the stock market?

sanctimoniousqfd fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 31, 2016

• Locked thread