Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Asking for a friend, is Roman Reigns good or bad?

Please don't troll, this is a serious question for serious people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Yes

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Why should I tell him he is Good, any specific things I can say.

What about the haters?

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The quality of the haters should tell you how good he is.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
He's not a good wrestler. He's not a bad wrestler.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Food Court Druid posted:

He's not a good wrestler. He's not a bad wrestler.

He's the wrestler.

In all seriousness. He's not a bad wrestler, but he sits in one of the deepest pools of talent that WWE has ever seen, can't talk for poo poo and gets pushed to the top of the company because he has "The Look" or some bullshit. So we justifiably hate the guy because he's far above his station in and bores crowds to death on the regular, to the point that I was more invested in the Zac Ryder vs Miz match on the Raw after mania than I have been in any Roman match for years.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 1, 2016

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

4 star Roman is a good wrestler and is always ready for a nice gun fight.

pressedbunny
May 31, 2007

To A Brand New Galaxy
He is the 7 booked like a 10 so everyone thinks he's a 5. Or 4, I suppose.

ninety
Mar 13, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

(and can't post for 4 years!)

He's not good.

He's GREAT.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

Personally I think he wears a cool vest!

It has a logo on it so you can tell who he is too, though it's not very clear. I think the vest should just say "Roman Reigns"

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

Trip Larsen
Oct 4, 2006

My great-grandfather started Larsen Pork Products with little more than three pigs and a killing hammer. Today, I'm proud to say, we kill more pigs than pig hepatitis.
He would be very good if he was allowed to be an insecure, entitled heel. As it is now he's just an insecure, entitled corporate face of the company who is clearly the greatest and you should cheer him damnit!!! I did enjoy his matches against Styles though, putting aside the booking.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
His ceiling is "carryable by better wrestlers" so Reigns as a wrestler is really just mediocre. Like his personality. They've also been manipulating storylines and other wrestlers just so they can force him into the spot they want him, so Reigns as a concept is bad.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 1, 2016

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
roman reigns is history's greatest monster

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
I don't think he's terrible, no. He's capable of having a good match. Not a great promo, but whatever. It's his loving forced push that gets on my tits and the inability from Vince to see people don't like him

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dude has great matches 9/10 times on PPV and can't cut a promo. He should be the internet's favorite wrestler, but their racism won't let them get over their hero Daniel Bryan.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Ostentatious posted:

Roman Reigns

BOOOOO!

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1c7Q7eF0Cc

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

This guy is just PISSIN' all over us

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
hes fine but he's really fun to boo live because it's really fun to get to tell someone really big that they're bad at what they do and not really face any repercussions

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
he's not good, he's not bad, he's

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

He's a better wrestler than a lot of top guys have been. He's a worse top guy than a lot of wrestlers have been.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

kane's better

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

if you asked roman this question he would shift his eyes 15 degrees toward your direction and say "i don't" and then not bother to finish his sentence, which would have ended with the word "care." but he would later have a 4 star match with the next fantastic guy lined up for him so that's good

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The match where he loses the title, (whenever that may be), is going to immensely please the crowd and send them home happy, no matter who it is against, and no matter how fuckeried up the finish is. So by that metric he will be good one day.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

BrigadierSensible posted:

The match where he loses the title, (whenever that may be), is going to immensely please the crowd and send them home happy, no matter who it is against, and no matter how fuckeried up the finish is. So by that metric he will be good one day.

Sure but watching WWE champ Zach Ryder get squashed in a rematch the next day is going to suck all the air out of the room

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

pressedbunny posted:

He is the 7 booked like a 10 so everyone thinks he's a 5. Or 4, I suppose.

This, 100%. I don't think anyone thinks he would be anywhere near the WWEWHC picture if he were just average looking and had the same wrestling/mic ability.

Takes a lot to overcome looks. Like almost killing yourself a lot.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I usually don't make any real serious posts on these forums, and granted, I haven't watched a lot of Raw (i've watched two episodes since 2014), but that only adds to my enjoyment of the PPVs, of which I watch all of them. This is gonna be my thoughts on the subject.

Roman Reigns is a good to great wrestler and outside of his matches with Big Show and Kane, his main event matches have been all good, some even outstanding. He plays a great babyface in peril, which as a defending champion makes for real good heat, he has good fire, when he's not cutting promos he has an rear end-kicker aura about him, and I think that a majority of fans are actually behind the curve on him because he is a really dynamic in ring and out of ring performer. Look at the matches he's had with Lesnar, with Rollins, with Dean, with AJ, he's even had good matches with Bray, who himself doesn't have a stellar record. His match with HHH wasn't bad at all, and he was one of the reasons the Shield was as over as they were, because he was the monster of that group.

It really feels like contrarianism and some leftover resentment that Roman got the nod as "the guy" over Daniel Bryan, and with all of the injuries Bryan kept getting, I would have gone with that decision as well and I've been a fan of Bryan's for over a decade. I've been saying forever Roman is good and a good champion. His matches have shown it over and over, and will continue to show. He's already ahead of Cena in terms of match quality when Cena was having his first major run, and he also has a number of great foils to work with which is only going to add to the longevity of his career.

Yeah, he's pushed a lot, but why shouldn't he be? No, they didn't pick Dean who is probably a better promo and a better in-ring guy, but Roman is just as serviceable as he needs to be to be at the level he is. Should Dean be given a chance to run with the ball? He absolutely should, and I think he should have been given a chance before Roman was. Does that mean Roman is just objectively Bad and Should Fail as a main eventer? No, that's stupid, because he's deserving to be in the main event mix.

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002
Roman is a decent to pretty good wrestler who is the best monster heel WWE has made since Lesnar over a decade ago.

Unfortunately they try to shove him down everyone's throat as a baby face of the company, and while he can play a decent face in peril in a multiman, doesn't have a quarter of the charisma or speaking ability Cena has and they so desperately want him to be.

If they eased up on his being "The Guy" push and just made him an upper card heel the fans might eventually warm up to him as an Orton-esque #2 face in a couple years. Assuming the well hasn't been permanently poisoned like Sheamus by now.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Yorkshire Tea posted:

He's the wrestler.

In all seriousness. He's not a bad wrestler, but he sits in one of the deepest pools of talent that WWE has ever seen, can't talk for poo poo and gets pushed to the top of the company because he has "The Look" or some bullshit. So we justifiably hate the guy because he's far above his station in and bores crowds to death on the regular, to the point that I was more invested in the Zac Ryder vs Miz match on the Raw after mania than I have been in any Roman match for years.

Every other wrestler has the deepest pools thing going against him. He talks mostly fine minus a few trash fires about magic beans and that period last year where he'd change up his motivations weekly and ya, his catch phrase is kinda grating. "The Look" isn't a tangible quality but it ain't bullshit neither. He looks like a leading man from his thousand yard stare to his cleft chin to his narrow jaw and soft, pouty lips. Arbitrary? Learned? Whatever. People react to it. Often with resentment.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Roman has impressive talents as a wrestler, but they're overshadowed in a lot of ways by his peers.

For example, I think Roman's single greatest talent is a natural instinct for timing. He knows just when to react, just when to sell, just when to counter, just when to pop out his superman punch for the coolest looking shot, and that's a very rare and valuable gift. But is he as good at that as the absolute all time master of timing Randy Orton, or somebody with perhaps a lesser ability at timing for moves but a much greater ability for combining it with match psychology to manipulate the crowd like John Cena? Granted they're 15 year veterans at this point, but I would argue they were both better at those things at similar points in their careers to where Roman is now.

I think Roman's also quite good at making his offense look hard-hitting. His spears and apron boot and superman punch and tope and other various spots do have a certain visceral nature to them, and in some of his best matches like against Daniel Bryan or Brock Lesnar or even Bray Wyatt in the Cell he displayed a gift for, lacking a better turn, savagery. He can turn up the level of intensity and violence in a match with ease just using body language and facial expressions, and really make it feel more like a fight than a match. But is he better at that than Kevin Owens or Sami Zayn or Bray Wyatt or Dean Ambrose when he's not phoning it in? Again, those guys have years of experience on him, but based on tapes I've seen of them previously they were ALWAYS better than Roman at those metrics.

Roman is good looking in a traditional sense and beyond that simple handsomeness he has a "good look," a distinctive style that makes him stick in the mind. He also has good physical charisma and facial expressions. But either he doesn't know how to use them instinctively like Seth Rollins or the New Day guys do, or he's so hamstrung by the writers/bookers in how he MUST use them for his "character," (which seems to be trying to combine Aloof Too-Cool Kevin Nash with White Meat Superman John Cena even though those are contradictory) that it absolutely cripples his ability to get himself over on those alone.

And despite those strengths, Roman has terrible TERRIBLE weaknesses. His verbal charisma and talking skills are a black hole that makes AJ Styles look like The Rock, and AJ is infamous for being a bad promo. He promo style is like a carbon-paper copy of people who are much better than him and it makes him that much MORE awful. His ring psychology and generalship are in the toilet, which means that any time he's not wrestling one of the best in the world in those categories his matches are sloppy messes, and this is supposed to be the guy carrying the entire company on his back. His character is a giant mess that breeds resentment and disinterest like roaches, and his presentation continues to try to leech goodwill from The Shield, damaging them as a concept in perpetuity and him as a direct result of that resentment. His moveset is limited and his attempts to expand it have generally been dismal failures, exposing a fundamental lack of skill at the craft that may never be bridged, and while this has never stopped guys like Ultimate Warrior or Hulk Hogan from being mega-stars, the modern audience doesn't like it and that counts for a lot. The best way to make up for a limited moveset is to use feats of strength or technical sequences to make up for them, but Roman is really bad at both of those things, and when you have guys like Cesaro, Styles and Brock Lesnar to compare him to his lacking in those areas stands out even more.

In summation? Roman's not bad, but he's worse than pretty much everybody else that the booking places beneath him. He's a jack of SOME trades, a master of maybe one or two, and a failure at the rest, and he's surrounded by a wide variety of Masters that further expose his weaknesses. I like Roman despite everything, and I'll be the first to admit he's done his part to make a lot of great matches the last few years. But he's not what he should be for the spot he's in.

That's my story, kthanks.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Yes

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Never heard of him

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

JOHN CENA posted:

I usually don't make any real serious posts on these forums, and granted, I haven't watched a lot of Raw (i've watched two episodes since 2014), but that only adds to my enjoyment of the PPVs, of which I watch all of them. This is gonna be my thoughts on the subject.

Roman Reigns is a good to great wrestler and outside of his matches with Big Show and Kane, his main event matches have been all good, some even outstanding. He plays a great babyface in peril, which as a defending champion makes for real good heat, he has good fire, when he's not cutting promos he has an rear end-kicker aura about him, and I think that a majority of fans are actually behind the curve on him because he is a really dynamic in ring and out of ring performer. Look at the matches he's had with Lesnar, with Rollins, with Dean, with AJ, he's even had good matches with Bray, who himself doesn't have a stellar record. His match with HHH wasn't bad at all, and he was one of the reasons the Shield was as over as they were, because he was the monster of that group.

It really feels like contrarianism and some leftover resentment that Roman got the nod as "the guy" over Daniel Bryan, and with all of the injuries Bryan kept getting, I would have gone with that decision as well and I've been a fan of Bryan's for over a decade. I've been saying forever Roman is good and a good champion. His matches have shown it over and over, and will continue to show. He's already ahead of Cena in terms of match quality when Cena was having his first major run, and he also has a number of great foils to work with which is only going to add to the longevity of his career.

Yeah, he's pushed a lot, but why shouldn't he be? No, they didn't pick Dean who is probably a better promo and a better in-ring guy, but Roman is just as serviceable as he needs to be to be at the level he is. Should Dean be given a chance to run with the ball? He absolutely should, and I think he should have been given a chance before Roman was. Does that mean Roman is just objectively Bad and Should Fail as a main eventer? No, that's stupid, because he's deserving to be in the main event mix.

Sanguinia posted:

Roman has impressive talents as a wrestler, but they're overshadowed in a lot of ways by his peers.

For example, I think Roman's single greatest talent is a natural instinct for timing. He knows just when to react, just when to sell, just when to counter, just when to pop out his superman punch for the coolest looking shot, and that's a very rare and valuable gift. But is he as good at that as the absolute all time master of timing Randy Orton, or somebody with perhaps a lesser ability at timing for moves but a much greater ability for combining it with match psychology to manipulate the crowd like John Cena? Granted they're 15 year veterans at this point, but I would argue they were both better at those things at similar points in their careers to where Roman is now.

I think Roman's also quite good at making his offense look hard-hitting. His spears and apron boot and superman punch and tope and other various spots do have a certain visceral nature to them, and in some of his best matches like against Daniel Bryan or Brock Lesnar or even Bray Wyatt in the Cell he displayed a gift for, lacking a better turn, savagery. He can turn up the level of intensity and violence in a match with ease just using body language and facial expressions, and really make it feel more like a fight than a match. But is he better at that than Kevin Owens or Sami Zayn or Bray Wyatt or Dean Ambrose when he's not phoning it in? Again, those guys have years of experience on him, but based on tapes I've seen of them previously they were ALWAYS better than Roman at those metrics.

Roman is good looking in a traditional sense and beyond that simple handsomeness he has a "good look," a distinctive style that makes him stick in the mind. He also has good physical charisma and facial expressions. But either he doesn't know how to use them instinctively like Seth Rollins or the New Day guys do, or he's so hamstrung by the writers/bookers in how he MUST use them for his "character," (which seems to be trying to combine Aloof Too-Cool Kevin Nash with White Meat Superman John Cena even though those are contradictory) that it absolutely cripples his ability to get himself over on those alone.

And despite those strengths, Roman has terrible TERRIBLE weaknesses. His verbal charisma and talking skills are a black hole that makes AJ Styles look like The Rock, and AJ is infamous for being a bad promo. He promo style is like a carbon-paper copy of people who are much better than him and it makes him that much MORE awful. His ring psychology and generalship are in the toilet, which means that any time he's not wrestling one of the best in the world in those categories his matches are sloppy messes, and this is supposed to be the guy carrying the entire company on his back. His character is a giant mess that breeds resentment and disinterest like roaches, and his presentation continues to try to leech goodwill from The Shield, damaging them as a concept in perpetuity and him as a direct result of that resentment. His moveset is limited and his attempts to expand it have generally been dismal failures, exposing a fundamental lack of skill at the craft that may never be bridged, and while this has never stopped guys like Ultimate Warrior or Hulk Hogan from being mega-stars, the modern audience doesn't like it and that counts for a lot. The best way to make up for a limited moveset is to use feats of strength or technical sequences to make up for them, but Roman is really bad at both of those things, and when you have guys like Cesaro, Styles and Brock Lesnar to compare him to his lacking in those areas stands out even more.

In summation? Roman's not bad, but he's worse than pretty much everybody else that the booking places beneath him. He's a jack of SOME trades, a master of maybe one or two, and a failure at the rest, and he's surrounded by a wide variety of Masters that further expose his weaknesses. I like Roman despite everything, and I'll be the first to admit he's done his part to make a lot of great matches the last few years. But he's not what he should be for the spot he's in.

That's my story, kthanks.

RacistGuidingLight posted:

I didn't catch NXT this week, or any week, cuz NXT is bad, But I thought I'd pop in anyway just to say that I love cum.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Pretty much my thoughts as well, but you did a better job writing it than I probably would have.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Fenrir posted:

Pretty much my thoughts as well, but you did a better job writing it than I probably would have.

:words: is my specialty. Especially :words: most people won't read.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
He's good - not the best by any means, but good and always improving. That said, his booking and the writing for him are ungodly awful. I think that's why he's getting the backlash he's getting, because when he was in the Shield and had very few lines and everything they did made sense most people loved him. That said, until they do something with his character, I can't stand watching his segments anymore. The commentary team is also actively making him worse, more so than most of the other wrestlers.

Roman Reigns is a good wrestler undone by everything done to him by the people trying to make him into a star.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
He's alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peter Bazooka
Sep 29, 2005

This isn’t really anything I think I like.
Roman Reigns is good tag team wrestler.

• Locked thread