Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I just hit a billion dollars in it and I can't be bothered to rebuild my everything now that plastic has gone from a sprawling mess of oil and gas buyers to 1 per maker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

Aurora posted:

I think someone mentioned a good Idle to Rule the Gods guide in the last thread, anyone have it?

I've been using these three from the Kongregate forums:
God Power currency guide
Pet guide
Speed Run guide

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Falcon2001 posted:

You can also play at FactoryIdle.com, which I prefer (no big ads BS).

It's more a clone of the guy's last game, Reactor Idle. It's interesting but has some pretty big pacing issues...which isn't preventing me from playing it.

Yeah, I'm running into that. It hits the point where you have to stop and twiddle your thumbs while you build up a huge cash reserve way too early.

Ignoranus
Jun 3, 2006

HAPPY MORNING

dis astranagant posted:

I just hit a billion dollars in it and I can't be bothered to rebuild my everything now that plastic has gone from a sprawling mess of oil and gas buyers to 1 per maker.

I put it off for a while but found when I finally did it that the extra space you can use for more makers led to a significant increase in income. I found the laying out of the conveyors and poo poo to be kind of a satisfying process, though, once I understood hte directionality/splitting rules properly.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ignoranus posted:

I put it off for a while but found when I finally did it that the extra space you can use for more makers led to a significant increase in income. I found the laying out of the conveyors and poo poo to be kind of a satisfying process, though, once I understood hte directionality/splitting rules properly.

It's a boost of income but it's going to be literal days before you can do anything else. $billions at about $50k per second just ain't going anywhere fast.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Sage Grimm posted:

If I don't have reason to fiddle for an entire loving day in the early game, there's something wrong with the pacing.

Guy hasn't learned a thing from Reactor Idle.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Sage Grimm posted:

Guy hasn't learned a thing from Reactor Idle.

The other problem is that as you get bigger and bigger areas, it turns buying upgrades into a chore, rather than a puzzle. I've got the first two areas and the first area mostly unlocked but I can't be arsed to really do much since it would take like an hour or so to rejigger the whole area. I dunno if Reactor idle was better at this but I'm about to drop it and just come back much later.

Basically: the factorio-like concept of the game is pretty solid so he's got some good ideas, but the big problem is just how slow and painful it is. maybe having significantly less space would help or something.

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 31, 2016

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I don't understand why the Realm Grinder devs are hellbent on updating their game with ugly new pixel graphics rather than actual content and leaving well enough alone.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They're doing both and the art isn't delaying anything since it's contracted out to actual artists.

EDIT: Speaking of which http://www.kongregate.com/forums/8945-realm-grinder/topics/633976-realm-grinder-overhaul-news-part-3 "for now we can tell with a good degree of certainty that the overhaul will be launched during the month of June."

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:01 on May 31, 2016

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I don't understand why the Realm Grinder devs are hellbent on updating their game with ugly new pixel graphics rather than actual content and leaving well enough alone.

The new art looks great, sorry about your taste

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sindai posted:

They're doing both and the art isn't delaying anything since it's contracted out to actual artists.

EDIT: Speaking of which http://www.kongregate.com/forums/8945-realm-grinder/topics/633976-realm-grinder-overhaul-news-part-3 "for now we can tell with a good degree of certainty that the overhaul will be launched during the month of June."

That actually looks really good, and informative.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Aurora posted:

The new art looks great, sorry about your taste
Shrug, it doesn't change the gameplay at all so I'm probably disposed to hate it because it's new and different, you know?

Sindai posted:

Now THIS is good news. I actually thought they were doing both but doing the art in-house. I should probably also quit because getting to 177.8 No gems post-ascension is a huge pain in the dick and the next reincarnation will take 100x as much and long-run goblins are boring.

...is there hotter tech than long-run goblins I don't know about? I doubt it, but I'm still asking.

Poultron
May 26, 2006

It doesn't make me happy if you call me cute, you bastard!
Here's some hot tech: go outside to escape the madness of idle games

shs
Feb 14, 2012
I played the outside game once and tried to reincarnate but all that happened was I got locked in a padded room for a little while

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I keep shouting REINCARNATE in all caps but people just gave me weird looks, too.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Avocados posted:

Whats the best faction to overnight/idle with, at 950T gems and with titan+druid heritages?

Anyone? I'm at 37.5Qi gems now, and I really just want to idle for a bit. Problem is that both titans and druids hardly produce unless you're actively spell casting.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Avocados posted:

Anyone? I'm at 37.5Qi gems now, and I really just want to idle for a bit. Problem is that both titans and druids hardly produce unless you're actively spell casting.

Go angels and autocast tax collection. You won't make much progress towards gems, but you'll make progress towards spells cast (needed to unlock drow) and mana spent (needed to unlock better autocasting options). Save the gems for when you're able to be online and active.

In later Rs - or in R0 if you really go nuts casting poo poo - you can unlock enough autocasting tricks (priority order, different tiers of priority, wait until a minimum mana that you set before casting XYZ) that you can set up some pretty nice spell combos which let you have the benefit of being present without actually being present.

e: Actually, you're about at the point where you can/should unlock dwarves and drow (possibly not drow yet if you don't have the spells cast), so I'd do that first, then go dwarf/angel (sensible spellcasting when active, autocast tax collection when idle) once you get them unlocked. That actually would be good for gems, while still contributing to the drow and autocast unlocks.

Vil fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 1, 2016

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Shrug, it doesn't change the gameplay at all so I'm probably disposed to hate it because it's new and different, you know?

They have repeatedly confirmed that it will change gameplay because it will allow them to introduce new gameplay elements which they couldn't before.

quote:

Besides the eye-candy, the new interface will also open up a lot of options for new features and mechanics. Just to give a few examples, we will finally be able to add more spells, organize tabs in a better way and convey in-game information much more efficiently. We will share more visual samples and information over the next weeks!

quote:

Remember that the graphic update is not just for the sake of fanciness, but it will also open up many new options for game features, and we are really committing to make it worthy of your praise!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Poultron posted:

Here's some hot tech: go outside to escape the madness of idle games

https://img.fireden.net/tg/image/1447/73/1447731689669.pdf
Game starts tomorrow. Lots of us are already playing.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Do you know if you can cast Feign Sobriety at a higher level? Asking for a friend

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

In Trimps, does the Carpentry perk only apply if you buy a level when portalling? Because with the past two resets I haven't put any new levels into Carpentry since it's level 12 and it's getting expensive compared to how much Helium I'm getting, but my Huts haven't increased in how many Trimps they can hold and I don't know if that's intentional or if something is failing in some way.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

JavaJesus posted:

In Trimps, does the Carpentry perk only apply if you buy a level when portalling? Because with the past two resets I haven't put any new levels into Carpentry since it's level 12 and it's getting expensive compared to how much Helium I'm getting, but my Huts haven't increased in how many Trimps they can hold and I don't know if that's intentional or if something is failing in some way.

Uh, it should be working. My carpentry is at 3300% and my huts give me 204 trimps per.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Okay, so I figured out what's going wrong, if not why. For some reason when and only when I buy a level of Carpentry, my housing increases by the correct Carpentry percentage as applied to the original 3 Trimp Hut housing numbers as opposed to the current housing amount that the perk claims. I'm playing on https://trimps.github.io/ which I assume is correct since I can see that it's on version 3.3 which only hit last week. This is happening both with and without AutoTrimps, and with and without activating the Balance challenge. If anyone wants to try this out and see if maybe a different computer changes things somehow, here's my save file: http://pastebin.com/chUgLZvg

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

When I load your save, I see, relevant to Carpentry and Huts:

Carpentry 12 (1.1^12 ~= 3.13842 times base population).
Huts give 18.8 trimps apiece according to their tooltip.

3 (base) * 2 (UberHut) * 3.13842 (Carpentry) ~= 18.83057, which matches the tooltip when we account for its rounding.

If I respec and bump Carpentry to 13 (1.1^13 ~= 3.45x), huts report they now house 20.7 trimps apiece, which is still accurate to the math. At Carpentry 14 (1.1^14 ~= 3.8x), huts report 22.7. At Carpentry 15 (1.1^15 ~= 4.18x), huts report 25.0.

So yeah, looks fine to me - are these the same numbers you're seeing in these scenarios?

Granted, of course, your save has some 40k+ trimps and most of them are housed in things other than huts, but Carpentry also increases the total by a compounding 10% each time I increase it too. 41.5k (12) -> 45.7k (13) -> 50.3k (14) -> 55.3k (15).

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

So Idling to Rule the Gods launched on Steam, but the creator immediately realized that people will import their Kong save and unlock a zillion achievements. So he disabled that. :(

Sindai posted:

This is nice, I like how 'percentage of total income produced by this building' is on the button instead of the tooltip.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Back from a week away (pumped drowline to 90,000% :wtc:) and I'm still sat in R16 working my way toward e75 gems.

I see that demon is supposed to be better production than elf, but how long is the run supposed to take? I assume you spam HFB to stack that one research high enough?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Remember to save your game often!

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

Vil posted:

When I load your save, I see, relevant to Carpentry and Huts:

Carpentry 12 (1.1^12 ~= 3.13842 times base population).
Huts give 18.8 trimps apiece according to their tooltip.

3 (base) * 2 (UberHut) * 3.13842 (Carpentry) ~= 18.83057, which matches the tooltip when we account for its rounding.

If I respec and bump Carpentry to 13 (1.1^13 ~= 3.45x), huts report they now house 20.7 trimps apiece, which is still accurate to the math. At Carpentry 14 (1.1^14 ~= 3.8x), huts report 22.7. At Carpentry 15 (1.1^15 ~= 4.18x), huts report 25.0.

So yeah, looks fine to me - are these the same numbers you're seeing in these scenarios?

Granted, of course, your save has some 40k+ trimps and most of them are housed in things other than huts, but Carpentry also increases the total by a compounding 10% each time I increase it too. 41.5k (12) -> 45.7k (13) -> 50.3k (14) -> 55.3k (15).
Oh, so that's what it means by "more Trimps per level than the current amount". I got trapped thinking it'd add up 10% per Carpentry level (so in my current case 120%) to the current non-UberHut "base", so that even if I didn't buy a new level it would still improve that "base". Not entirely sure how I never realized that doing things that way would make the first ten levels of Carpentry actively harmful and thus my interpretation had to be wrong. Thanks for the explanation.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Is there a minedefense guide floating around somewhere? Getting a little lost around Alchemists.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The wiki linked at the bottom of the page isn't really a guide but it's pretty complete and includes all the oracle messages and their triggers. What does the oracle say?

You are probably at the pre-building stage where things go pretty slow because you need to wait for your alchemists to create thousands of thing X to unlock a major upgrade. If you know what to do but it seems slow that's normal.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Sindai posted:

The wiki linked at the bottom of the page isn't really a guide but it's pretty complete and includes all the oracle messages and their triggers. What does the oracle say?

You are probably at the pre-building stage where things go pretty slow because you need to wait for your alchemists to create thousands of thing X to unlock a major upgrade. If you know what to do but it seems slow that's normal.

Totally forgot about the oracle. Alright, I'm good.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

At R19 and research + challenge rewards is like being strapped to a rocket, drat

I go demon > dwairy > dwelf > greed forge from e35-e69 > lightning forge from e69-e72 > research U angels

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Done with archwizard! Took 11 days 14 hours, in R36.
Only trophy left now is the 750 iron stronghold one, which i am not sure how to get. I used a build i found a guide for but could only get 600, which is a very long way from 750.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ineptitude posted:

Only trophy left now is the 750 iron stronghold one, which i am not sure how to get. I used a build i found a guide for but could only get 600, which is a very long way from 750.
I assume you already have the challenge that makes your buildings count as more buildings, the Dwarf or whatever one. It's trivial post-ascension if you're willing to wait (because its requirements change), but if not just get to the end of your R and go neutral mercs with dwarf (1,2) for the multiplier reduction. I tried Goblin bloodline for even more cost reduction but ended up actually using old-Demon (the flat +mana regen), but Druid should work fine too, your goal is to go Tax Collection > mercs > Goblin's Greed > pay for upgrades with those FC > wait until 4:50 and jam all your spells at once and buy max Strongholds.

No gem power doesn't stop Goblin's Greed from keying off those, so you still get FC, and it's super cheap so you can Tax Collection for your first few FC to get Greed itself. Ruby Power isn't prohibited, so that can give you a few bonus assistants. Where specifically are you getting stuck?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ineptitude posted:

If you haven't already done so, do the dwarf challenges. Dwarf 5 makes every building count 20% more, so you only need 625 Iron Strongholds for it to count as 750.

Goblin bloodline of course. And if this is the same R in which you did archwizard and you haven't reincarnated since then, you'll have a pretty awesome grand balance that hits a lot of things, so take advantage of that. I'm pretty sure you can do this in a merc build (which would allow you to take that dwarf upgrade that also reduces building costs), but if not, I'd give druids a shot and failing that try titans after prepping lightning strike RNG (via checking forecast) so it'll hit some usefully productive things in the first 5 minutes.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Are there any "tricks" to playing Undead in Realm Grinder? I'm working on D25 Research (8 Hours Offline as Undead), but I'm trying to earn some money to buy some other researches before I shut the game off for a while and the gains from the spell combo I'm running now (all 4 spells with a millisecond to cast 1 TC) is just terrible.

nerox
May 20, 2001
On r27 on realm grinder, any good builds to generate lots of faction coins to upgrade research? My old goblin build is generating too slow for what they cost at this point.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Klungar posted:

Are there any "tricks" to playing Undead in Realm Grinder? I'm working on D25 Research (8 Hours Offline as Undead), but I'm trying to earn some money to buy some other researches before I shut the game off for a while and the gains from the spell combo I'm running now (all 4 spells with a millisecond to cast 1 TC) is just terrible.

Undead gets a bit better with some faction-specific researches (which you may or may not have unlocked yet) but otherwise no, it's not that great. It's built mainly around assistants (which are decent) and offline bonus (which is garbage). I think it's intended to be the faction you choose if you want to go offline without making basically zero progress, except faceless are a better choice for that scenario because of racking up Hive Mind time (which is one of the very few things - besides permanent unlocks - which helps across reincarnations).

So no, just go offline as undead and accept that it'll accomplish pretty much gently caress-all except for unlocking that one research (and any other researches downstream that depend on that one). Best to do that some time when you wouldn't be playing anyway, e.g. right before you go to bed for the night.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

nerox posted:

On r27 on realm grinder, any good builds to generate lots of faction coins to upgrade research? My old goblin build is generating too slow for what they cost at this point.

Titan is king of faction coin generation, especially once you finish the fourth challenge and Lighting Strike's faction coin production gets boosted. Just make sure you have enough gems to cover the gold cost, which isn't too hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Goblins are as good as it gets with the right research. It does start to take a while once you get up there in research but you just have to wait it out.

I'm pretty sure Titans can't compare to casting TC dozens of times per second, the challenge upgrade doesn't increase LS that much and faction coin find bonuses are additive so you can't stack that much from research.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 3, 2016