Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I declare myself the King of Thursday.

My previous entry requirements still stand. I'll work something out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainmail Onesie
May 12, 2014

LoserWinner
of "Thunder Dome!
*cued entrance music*

In.

I'm a fool with a death wish gambling man, so I'll take a sebmojo flashrule too.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
In.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Chainmail Onesie posted:

*cued entrance music*

In.

I'm a fool with a death wish gambling man, so I'll take a sebmojo flashrule too.

:siren:flash rule::siren: No character may speak

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

crabrock posted:

ok you can have it too. man you sure got me angry.

gently caress you crabrock gimme a flash rule.

Profane Accessory
Feb 23, 2012

In.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I'm in, because I'm addicted to losertars. Now flash me like I'm on a late evening stroll through an empty park.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
In for Wednesday - Or if that's full, Thursday I guess.

And :toxx: cause I failed to submit last week

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

What the hell. Gimmie a flash rule, seb.

clearly nothing can go wrong with this plan

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Paladinus posted:

I'm in, because I'm addicted to losertars. Now flash me like I'm on a late evening stroll through an empty park.

:siren:flash rule::siren: your story is set in the mesosphere

C7ty1 posted:

What the hell. Gimmie a flash rule, seb.

clearly nothing can go wrong with this plan

:siren:flash rule::siren: zoo/divorce

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 31, 2016

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I clearly have problems communicating along the lines of that adverb.

seb. Flash me. Flash me good.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Gimme a flashrule as well sebmojo. Its not like its going to make my first entry any worse.

Mr Gentleman
Apr 29, 2003

the Educated Villain of London

Thanks!

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I'll take a flash rule as well, I need something to blame for my terrible story.

Also thanks for the crits!

Siddhartha Glutamate
Oct 3, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
will a judge please flash me, please?

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
Week 199 crits, part 2 of 3

Cold Morning

Plot: Jeri goes grocery shopping in a post-apocalyptic hellscape. She’s trying to ignore that her family’s dead.

The first paragraph of this isn’t engaging at all, and this was one of the duller stories overall this week. It would help if Jeri had a clearer goal here, but the first two thirds of this story feels like filler, because the story’s built entirely around the twist. And there’s definitely emotional energy around the twist that makes me feel like you’ve got a seed of a good idea here, but I wish you’d funneled into it with a more energetic plot. As is, this story feels plodding and aimless, and the words spent on the setting might be better spent confronting Jeri with an obstacle, or racheting up the tension around her family.

Doldrums

Plot: Captain John Harding led his ship to disaster. The crew mutinies and his friend Kimball attempts to hang him, but when there’s a sliver of hope, Kimball cuts him down and they contemplate the coming storm.

Thoughts: This was elegantly structured and paced. The story juggles a lot of elements here, but manages to create a sense of impending dread, develop a relationship between the captain and Kimball, and give us reasons to feel sorry for the captain and hope he doesn’t get hanged. I’m especially impressed with the depth in the captain and Kimball’s relationship, and also the way you’ve channeled the culture and mood of the ship. Definitely one of my favorites this week.

Cocytus

Plot: In a post-apocalyptic hellscape, three people try to find a place to settle.

Thoughts: I’m interested in the dynamics you have between your characters, and I think my favorite parts of this story are the parts that capture the irritation of spending so much time in close contact with the same people. And I think this is a well-thought out concept, but I wish that it’d been mobilized into something a little tighter: a story about these people facing a more pressing crisis, maybe. The problem is that this story isn’t very immediate, and your middle section of traveling and exposition really drags down the energy of the good elements here.

Falling to pieces

Plot: In the zombie apocalypse, the protagonist tries to find his lover before his body falls apart.

Thoughts: This really revels in its grossness to the point of blunting any other impact. The grossness is at least well-written, but I didn’t really care about our hero’s quest, so the story kind of fell apart for me. It’s cool that the protagonist seems to care that he’s falling apart, so there’s some grounding to this story, but the images are so grim and cartoonishly violent that the attempted emotional stakes can’t really take hold. I’d prefer to see the protagonist facing a challenge to him encountering a bunch of gross stuff – that’d at least give this some pulp appeal.

I Have Evolved My Progeny As It Pleased Me

Plot: The protagonist is a reality researcher, whose research gets cancelled. An atomic weapon is about to go off. Also, there’s like psychic cyborg aliens or something. I kind of wish that this had DMed so the podcast would do a close read of this but I’ve got too many stories to crit to suss out what the Fatestry is, or what kind of reality actually exists in the world of this story, or what the scions have to do with this galactic war.

Thoughts: Even though this piece too dense with jargon and ideas for me to make narrative heads or tails of it, I was really struck by the tone. I found the sense of loss and hopelessness really affecting, even if I had trouble wrapping my head around the broader concepts here. It’s just that the story is too conceptually thick for it to cohere into anything compelling, and the more I try to suss out exactly what’s going on here, the more confused I get. That’s OK, because I really enjoy the narrative voice, especially the sense of loneliness and loss from the protagonist.

The Rest Is Violence

Plot: Casey is a crooked cop. But he draws a line at raping 12 year olds. This makes him a wanted man.

Thoughts: In judge chat, one of my co-judges mentioned that it was a little mawkish that the story opens with a relevant social issue before turning into a noir story. I think this is a well-paced noir story, but yeah, it definitely makes me a little squeamish that this story uses child rape and police brutality as fodder for fairly disposable pulp action. We don’t learn a lot about Casey as a protagonist, and I think it would help if we knew a little more about his moral code. As the story stands, it seems shaped by the plot; I’d be interested in a version of this story where Casey’s moral code shapes the plot instead.

Check Engine Light On

Plot: Ray, who’s missing a hand, and Satyam struggle to keep their damaged ship alive.

Thoughts: My primary issue with this story is the way it doles out exposition. Here’s the main offender:

“It turns out that when you use knockoff reality TV as the sole funding source for your colonisation project, your mighty research vessel ends up being designed modularly by fifty different contractors and integrated by shitheads.”

This isn’t the kind of information you want to introduce three-quarters of the way through your story. The reality TV part is really jarring, since it’s never referred to again, and I have no idea how or why it’s funding a colonization project. Then there’s a reference to a “murder weapon,” which I’m assuming is what the protagonist is calling the faulty piece of machinery that cut off his hand, but which had me thinking the first time I read this story that he was maliciously attacked.

That said, I enjoy the kind of hopelessness here, which is more apathetic than despairing, and I like the details you’ve included about the relationship between Satyam and Ray. Aside from the distracting extraneous details, the prose is strong, clear, and evocative, and I hope you keep submitting to the dome.

I’m sorry, but you’re hosed

Plot: To earn his father’s favor, a son tortures an old friend who wronged his father.

Thoughts: The monologue doesn’t make any diegetic sense as something this character is actually saying – it’s stuffed full of “as you knows” and exposition that would be totally unnecessary. It’s corny and goofy, which is a shame, because there’s a good handle on voice, and I like the thoughts and ideas as something your character is thinking to himself. The emotions the character is experiencing, the way he’s trying to justify his own actions, or the way he’s willing to go so far for the smallest bit of approval from his father – this is all good stuff! But in this second person form, the story comes off as cheese when it’s aiming for gravitas.

My Brother’s Keeper

Plot: Resentful of being the good child in the family, the narrator knocks down his severely mentally ill brother with his car and struggles with the guilt.

Thoughts: There’s some very human horror in this story, which I appreciated, and the creeping guilt of the narrator kept this story tense. I don’t think the last section is necessary, though, as it’s mostly information we could infer from the other sections you’ve included. The story walks a narrow line, but I think it succeeds in letting the reader sympathize with the narrator’s plight while still granting that he’s a terrible person.

There’s a lot of little quibbles I have with this story, and I’d like to give this a line crit next week. But I think this story is really successful in its tone.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Maugrim posted:

e: out like a useless bitch who can't write

:siren: there's a space in the Tuesday group :siren:

Someone better grab that slot! Or you can let them rot and get the bad flashrule.

Anyone can grab the Tuesday slot, even if you've already picked a day. Switching days is still otherwise verboten.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avFq9errZCk

in.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo
nvm

take the moon fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jun 1, 2016

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

You can only do this if you find someone to take your Monday slot, since Monday already got its benign rule. Meanwhile someone else is still free to claim Tuesday.

Actually looking at Twist's post, he got to it already. Sorry buddy, you're stuck with your fair and open-ended flsh rule :smith:

Sitting Here fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jun 1, 2016

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Sitting Here posted:

You can only do this if you find someone to take your Monday slot, since Monday already got its benign rule. Meanwhile someone else is still free to claim Tuesday.

me, it's me, I'm claiming Tuesday

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
:siren: TUESDAY GOONS HERE IS YOUR FLASHRULE :siren:

That's ZeB, Sparks, Newt, a friendly penguin, CANNIBAL GIRLS, Ent, Chili, Mistaya, Chernabog and Twist

Since you hit the max, you get the nice rule.

Pick up to 4 words from this completely arbitrary list. You get 50 extra words for each one you use, up to a max of four(4). Because this is a flash rule, you have to pick at LEAST one, which means you get 50 extra words minimum.

brouhaha
euphoric
eleemosynary
euclidean
embrocation
avuncular
obsequious
syzygy
vituperation
crepuscular
callipygian
diffident
eclectic
grawlix
groak
picayune
apricity
anodyne
ambrosia
catawampus
babushka
lackadaisical
phantasmagoria
excogitate
gestalt
kerfuffle
perspicacious
callithumpian
crapulous
zaftig
monsterful
desuetude
pursuivant
nugatory
persiflage
mellifluous
consanguineous
tantamount
ameliorate
juxtapose

BONUS DEAL: Anyone who :toxx:es this week can pick one(1) word from this list and FORCE one(1) other entrant to use it. Again, that's ANYONE who :toxx:es, and they can inflict the word on anyone else who's in this week.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

IRC posted:

newt|work>
can you roll mine randomly, blood queen?

grawlix
nugatory
mellifluous
vituperation

+200 words for newtest leper.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Chernabog posted:

I'll take a flash rule as well, I need something to blame for my terrible story.

Also thanks for the crits!

:siren:flash rule::siren: someone is crushed to death by an avalanche of ironic consumer goods

Titus82 posted:

will a judge please flash me, please?

:siren:flash rule::siren: your protagonist has narcolepsy

Carcer posted:

Gimme a flashrule as well sebmojo. Its not like its going to make my first entry any worse.

:siren:flash rule::siren: three characters, two secrets, one crime

Hammer Bro. posted:

I clearly have problems communicating along the lines of that adverb. seb. Flash me. Flash me good.

:siren:flash rule::siren: drunk in charge of a warship

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Wednesday is for war

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

:siren: flash rule::siren: two souls chasing each other down the same drain. CAN'T BE DEPRESSING.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

I think I'll finally have a home tomorrow. In for this week, phonepostin from the Best Western Bayou Inn and Suites, LA. I haven't written a word in a week. Gimme some thunder, judges.

take the moon
Feb 13, 2011

by sebmojo

Sitting Here posted:

BONUS DEAL: Anyone who :toxx:es this week can pick one(1) word from this list and FORCE one(1) other entrant to use it. Again, that's ANYONE who :toxx:es, and they can inflict the word on anyone else who's in this week.

:toxx:

flerp must use the word zaftig

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Oh yeah, flash rule. Any judge, any rule. I'm too burned to be more specific. Gimme a challenge

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Wednesday is for war

Carl Killer Miller posted:

I think I'll finally have a home tomorrow. In for this week, phonepostin from the Best Western Bayou Inn and Suites, LA. I haven't written a word in a week. Gimme some thunder, judges.

Wednesday is full, so I'm adding you both to the Thursday flashrule group. Carl, I'm sure mojo will happily flash you.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Carl Killer Miller posted:

:siren:flash rule:siren: your story takes place on an ancient titan

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Tyrannosaurus posted:

Wednesday is for war

And your word is crapulous.

I knew I'd have my revenge. I just didn't know it would be so soon.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
:toxx:

I'm giving flerp the word zaftig again so he has to use it at least twice, good luck bro

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006

Marshmallow Blue posted:

And your word is crapulous.

I knew I'd have my revenge. I just didn't know it would be so soon.

Aight

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I want to thank everyone for the kind and accurate words used to critique my awful story.

I would also like to throw myself to the piranhas and declare myself IN this week. I will dutifully await my sentence.

Dr. Kloctopussy
Apr 22, 2003

"It's time....to DIE!"
In for Week 200

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
:siren: MEGABRAWL UPDATE :siren:

To prevent procrastination and to space out the reading I'm going to have to do, I'm adding a flash rule for everybody:

If you get your piece in significantly earlier than the deadline and you win your brawl, you will receive bonus words in the following round, commensurate to how early you were.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

IRC posted:

QuoProQuid>
heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeey, someone give me a flash rule for this week because im spinning my wheels plot-wise
(please)

Hello friend I see you are in need of some assistance

Oh I see you are a Monday signup

Flashrule: "Man agonizes over his paseo"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sitting Here posted:

Hello friend I see you are in need of some assistance

Oh I see you are a Monday signup

Flashrule: "Man agonizes over his paseo"

lol that's not a flash rule

this

:siren:flash rule:siren: story takes place between breaths

is a flash rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007

sebmojo posted:

lol that's not a flash rule

this

:siren:flash rule:siren: story takes place between breaths

is a flash rule

if you read the goddamn thread for once you'd see I was sticking to the dumbass flashrule scheme some idiot thought up for Monday signups

Christ you buffoon

anyway, QPQ you get both

• Locked thread