Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I wasn't talking to you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh gently caress

OH gently caress

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Oh, poo poo.

Ohhhh... shiiiiiiiiit.

MrAristocrates posted:

Oh gently caress

OH gently caress

Yeah

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I think that up until now

God Mode has been a misnomer

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
hell yes whoa :rock:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Guys this poo poo is going to get SO REAL

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Those 2 scenes with the minigun SUV were hilarious. Like B movie cheese. Once again the Samaritan agents were as competent as the scene demanded. Made the 2 deaths seem cheap and unsatisfying.

Root trying to help Shaw was so :3:

Finch is angry :getin:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Is there a preview for next episode ?

Fuccccck. This episode.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
preview: well that escalated quickly

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'd like to thank the people who watched the Canadian airing for draining any tension whatsoever from the episode.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Holy mother of loving gently caress poo poo god drat motherfucker

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Regy Rusty posted:

I think that up until now

God Mode has been a misnomer

Yeah, Finch with God Mode is going to be horrifying. Reese and Root just know how to hurt people, Finch has been taking systems apart since he was 13.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Finch is about to go Ben Linus on everyone's asses :unsmigghh:

Please Eat A Vegetable
Jun 26, 2002
Lord of Primate Booty
'Can you hear me?'
Gut punch.

*cuts to Fusco and Coco Puffs*

Goddammit.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

HorseRenoir posted:

Finch is about to go Ben Linus on everyone's asses :unsmigghh:

I was thinking more John McAfee. I mean, he already spent his afternoon in a meth lab. :v:

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I noticed the preview never showed Finch at all. I imagine he's going to be loving poo poo up somewhere while Team Irrelevant work to figure out what is happening in DC.

Which I hope results in a Control cameo!

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Goddamn that was an episode. I swear, it felt 3 episodes crammed into one.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

JossiRossi posted:

I noticed the preview never showed Finch at all. I imagine he's going to be loving poo poo up somewhere while Team Irrelevant work to figure out what is happening in DC.

Which I hope results in a Control cameo!

It did right at the beginning, just after the drone.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I missed the preview, I'll have to check it out whenever CBS puts the episode up.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Echophonic posted:

I missed the preview, I'll have to check it out whenever CBS puts the episode up.

It's already on the YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-lzD-GszhQ

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Neat, thanks!

I dunno if we'll see Control. I don't like the possibility she's been broken by Samaritan.

In return, here's a 100 Episode thank you from the cast. :3:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0mTX3NA9P8

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm also confused because supposedly they are working with an "open system". What does that mean? Because I thought that would mean that they have access to all the information the Machine has to determine where the threat is coming from and who it is targeting. Apparently not because they spent most of the episode making wild incorrect guesses about who the target is and why. What does the "open system" mean, then?

I don't think they've ever been totally explicit about it, but my impression is that it means full access: not just communicating like they have been this season, or getting operational information and targets like Root used to, but being able to make decisions about the Machine's priorities and how it should achieve them.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I think it's Finch being a hard-headed son of a bitch and refusing tools because they violate his ethics. Root got all the information she wanted when asking the open system. Harold just refused to rely on it at all, since he planned on closing it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I don't think it's open access yet just that the system is no longer being deleted each night. I think Root was pushing Harold to take off the restraining orders. It's fully open meaning it's fully aware and isn't deleted each night ,but it still has some restrictions. Root wants Harold to remove those restrictions which is what I think he will do.

That's my take on it. Machine is fully aware but still inside a "cage".

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The open system does mean they can pry whatever information they want out of it, but given Finch's rules, he probably chose to keep doing things the old fashioned way and only use the open system for emergencies.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah that's the impression I got as well was that the machine finally wasn't being murdered every single day at midnight and that if they wanted to could get more information, but Finch doesn't want it that way.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I don't think it's a subtle distinction. Samaritan is an open database. Anyone with access can run queries, track people, mark out hits. The Machine is closed (to most people, anyway), it has all the same information, but the idea is that you can only interact with it as designed via the relevant numbers protocol and Ingram's failsafe. It's the difference between being able to talk to the dude in the Chinese Box and the door being locked.

It definitely seems that the erasure methods aren't being repeated, I'd agree with that. I mean, they weren't before, but now it's not even requiring a workaround.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
This goddamn episode. Holy poo poo. Root becomes God.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

I thought the Machine stopped being murdered every night the moment Finch's virus changed her system, way back on S2.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Ignis posted:

I thought the Machine stopped being murdered every night the moment Finch's virus changed her system, way back on S2.

Also this.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Ignis posted:

It did, yea.

They were very explicit about showing the open system just meaning they could directly ask the machine things: Locating Reese, Finch talking to it directly a few times, Root asking about Shaw, etc. Communication isn't limited to just getting a no info number, they just don't use it non stop because it's a "Get out of writing free" card. And or Finch is just way too stubborn.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Finch turning into a badass is amazing. Shaw is going to go on a rampage at some point I think.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

So it's not a trick? She's really gone, for good :ohdear:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Holy poo poo.

Was Finch saying he was involved with Nixon and Watergate?

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Mustache Ride posted:

Holy poo poo.

Was Finch saying he was involved with Nixon and Watergate?

I'd need to rewatch but I think he was trying to say his 'treason' was committed around the same time that Nixon was loving around with the FBI and such re: Watergate, so the rules they used to determine that Finch committed treason were already faulty stemming from the very people who make/execute them. A hearty "gently caress your 'rules'". (IIRC that was when he hacked into...something...in college, in a flashback in season 2 or 3 or something that I can't possibly remember more details off of the top of my head.)

Dracorion
Jul 23, 2013
I'm pretty sure his big treason was hacking ARPANET?

God the cruelest thing is that after spoiling us with two episodes a week, the next three are all once a week.

That said I cannot wait to see Finch tear poo poo up.

HardKase
Jul 15, 2007
TASTY
OK I want to see Finch get mad, and the machine get even.

But can we talk about the action sequences?

Not your strong suit person of interest.

Not even close to your strong suit.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Did the Machine choose a name for herself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Mraagvpeine posted:

Did the Machine choose a name for herself?

I'd imagine that the angle it's taking is that the Machine and Root are now one and the same. It chose Root's voice, so it stands to reason it also chose Root's name.

(Shaw will live and this season's set up that she can just slap on some VR glasses and go sim-mode anytime she wants Root to annoy her in the future.)

• Locked thread