Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Beginning to think Om might be angling some sort of royalist angle like 2 Micheal and company. Unite around the puppet heir and take down Jagganoth a notch or three. Except you know, the prophecy most of them have it wrong to begin with. Al - Yis - Un

This ball is going to get lively once the angels show up to the main event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Grognan posted:

Beginning to think Om might be angling some sort of royalist angle like 2 Micheal and company. Unite around the puppet heir and take down Jagganoth a notch or three. Except you know, the prophecy most of them have it wrong to begin with. Al - Yis - Un

This ball is going to get lively once the angels show up to the main event.
It's gonna be rockin' and then Mottom will yell "DRESS" again and White Chain and Juggernaut are gonna look fabulous :swoon:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I may be misinterpreting this but I think we're getting a book, finally.

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/737829813180735488

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
No misinterpreting, that's why the updates two weeks ago were ... one of the two didn't exist, because Abbadon said he was working on the bookstuff.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

New Page . Well, Mottom at least admits she's a coward.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
fun discovery: Kill Six Billion Demons is blocked at Taco Bell.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Yeah Allison! Get in there!

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Props to Allison for not buying any of that bullshit. I guess being a trope-savvy megadork paid off in the end, huh

e: seriously Mom Om how does the "otherwise Jaggs would destroy me" argument EVEN MAKE SENSE, do you plan at hurling your teapot collection crafted with the death sighs of a million virgins at the Big Guy once he comes barging in or what

actually i'd watch that nvm

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 1, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

in case we needed a reminder that Allison's pretty rad too

SexyBlindfold posted:

Props to Allison for not buying any of that bullshit. I guess being a trope-savvy megadork paid off in the end, huh

e: seriously Mom Om how does the "otherwise Jaggs would destroy me" argument EVEN MAKE SENSE, do you plan at hurling your teapot collection crafted with the death sighs of a million virgins at the Big Guy once he comes barging in or what

actually i'd watch that nvm

presumably effective command at the multiverse at some level still depends on bureaucracy and influence and more than just being able to think people into trees whenever you want, and the loyalty of her administrators depends on maintaining an image

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 1, 2016

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

in case we needed a reminder that Allison's pretty rad too

presumably effective command at the multiverse at some level still depends on bureaucracy and influence and more than just being able to think people into trees whenever you want, and the loyalty of her administrators depends on maintaining an image

I guarantee Om's party planners ain't got poo poo on Solomon David's Unbearably Boring Consolidated Civic Service, bureaucracy-wise

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Problems with the guest list has to be either Cio or the angels.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It could also be the Parade of Fools.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Or perhaps

wiegieman posted:

Both statements are true.

YS ATN VARAMA PRESH

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SexyBlindfold posted:

I guarantee Om's party planners ain't got poo poo on Solomon David's Unbearably Boring Consolidated Civic Service, bureaucracy-wise

The very fact that Solomon has his admittedly almost certainly still incredibly awful but far better to live in than hers empire instantly undermines any claim that she makes that there is no better path than this.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Well 'better' might be a very loose and relative term. I mean, there are obviously lots of people living high and swell in Mottom's realms, but they tend to be aristocratic types. Kings and Queens living under a Super-Pope that get to keep their chill as long as they pay up. David could be slightly fair to everyone around, but still be a crapsack existence in general.

Berk Berkly fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 1, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's possible most of the bureaucracy was inherited from Hastet Om's empire, and yes turning an administration of corrupt and cruel petty chiefs into one of honest and efficient managers is not an easy task; especially when said administration spans hundreds of thousands of worlds.

But she has had uncounted millennia to do that transition and she can handle assassination attempts better than most reformist politicians. Get rid of the worst guys at the top levels, introduce gradual changes, and in a couple million years it could become a mostly-fair empire where it's mostly-okay to live.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

It's possible most of the bureaucracy was inherited from Hastet Om's empire, and yes turning an administration of corrupt and cruel petty chiefs into one of honest and efficient managers is not an easy task; especially when said administration spans hundreds of thousands of worlds.

But she has had uncounted millennia to do that transition and she can handle assassination attempts better than most reformist politicians. Get rid of the worst guys at the top levels, introduce gradual changes, and in a couple million years it could become a mostly-fair empire where it's mostly-okay to live.

That said, she's the literal 'bearer of the name GLORY', and power in K6BD is all about acting by and preserving your name. She needs to put on a good show in a way that Sol doesn't.

She's literally powered by glamour.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cat Mattress posted:

It's possible most of the bureaucracy was inherited from Hastet Om's empire

Maybe the very very start, but she'd definitely already deposed him at the Pact of the Seven Part World when she took her slice of all the multiverse and a hundred thousand worlds.

Come to think of it, she might well have used the Pact to depose him.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jun 1, 2016

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

yeah she's clearly pretty full of poo poo here she's sort of the ultimate in unaccountable autocrats, but she could easily imagine herself as lacking the authority or the right kind of respect to do what some of her more forceful or respected peers can.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Darth Walrus posted:

That said, she's the literal 'bearer of the name GLORY', and power in K6BD is all about acting by and preserving your name.

I thought that was just a devil thing?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

It's entirely possible that she's tried and failed at reforms.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Who says she's not one? Besides, I reckon it applies to other folks as well. Names have serious power in this setting.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mottom is pretty clearly a human and not a devil

anyway i'm pretty sure devils want to do the opposite of preserving their names

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

If she wanted to truly reform, she'd PERISH the most corrupt kings and queens until the rest fell in line.

But that's hard work and she's got a cushy life, so she's just putting it off until next Sunday. But then Sunday is her day off....

Quantum Toast
Feb 13, 2012

atomicthumbs posted:

fun discovery: Kill Six Billion Demons is blocked at Taco Bell.

And here I thought Mottom would be their best customer.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Tollymain posted:

mottom is pretty clearly a human and not a devil

anyway i'm pretty sure devils want to do the opposite of preserving their names

their names are the limitations that define them, they want to maximize their freedom without losing all the form and will and personhood tied to the naming. And their names do decay, somehow, leaving them all decrepit like Vladok

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 1, 2016

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Renaissance Robot posted:

Devil names have their own specific mechanics but Names, in general, are pretty important. Especially a syllable of the name of god.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

MikeJF posted:

The very fact that Solomon has his admittedly almost certainly still incredibly awful but far better to live in than hers empire instantly undermines any claim that she makes that there is no better path than this.

- "This is all there is to ruling, girl. Sitting on top of a mountain of corpses, a pack of wolves below you. There is no other way."
- "Uhh what about Solomon David? He seems to run a pretty t--"
- "I mean yeah but he's a tool"

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

nimby posted:

If she wanted to truly reform, she'd PERISH the most corrupt kings and queens until the rest fell in line.

But that's hard work and she's got a cushy life, so she's just putting it off until next Sunday. But then Sunday is her day off....

She'd like reform, sure.

But the war in heaven was such that she could not afford a moment of self-imposed weakness in her domains.
And then the peace between the Seven was tenuous, at best, and any reforms would allow her rivals to carve up her holdings and cast her down.
And now, of course, there is Jagganoth.

There's always a good reason to hold off on reform until later. This is what it means to be ruled by fear.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

MikeJF posted:

id hardly call grinding people down under a Kafkaesque legalistic nightmare regime the "better" option, tbh

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

paranoid randroid posted:

id hardly call grinding people down under a Kafkaesque legalistic nightmare regime the "better" option, tbh

idk man personally I'd still rather be in California than the Congo

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

It might not actually be all that bad to live in Solomon's domain. This is from the Ask blog:

quote:

Solomon David is regarded as just, even-handed, and incredibly brutal by most of his subjects. As god-emperor of the powerful Celestial Empire, his dictatorship has uplifted countless societies and crushed countless more into dust. Most people live their daily lives with a high degree of safety, industry, and prosperity under his rule, if not freedom.

Assuming prosperity means "a decent standard of living", anyways. So as long as you don't cross the law, you might have a pretty alright life under his rule, as long as you're willing to abandon any impossible dreams of representative governance or any style of existence outside the prescriptions of his law.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
until you forget to pay a parking ticket and you get your head chopped off

Solomons probably, in all honesty, a "better" ruler than Mottom, but the "better" distinction kind of doesnt mean a whole lot when the choice is between draconian legalism and parasitic imperialism. Solomon is, id bet, ruled by fear as much as Mottom. particularly the fear that Jagganoth will find his old Myspace where theres pictures of him wearing flippy emo bangs and lists She Wants Revenge as his favorite band.

e. i wish i could find that vignette thats a riff on the Judgement of Solomon where everyone dies and the baby ends up a ward of the state.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 1, 2016

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mottom doesn't want reform, she's perfectly happy with her empire as it is now. Allison is right, these are just excuses she uses to justify her horrific actions.

Her realm wasn't just straight up inherited from her husband, we saw flashbacks of her as a demiurge. She's playing at being weak and powerless before her underlings but we've seen that she's not. Mottom fought in the war of the heavens and earned her right to rule over 111,111 universes, and she's doing with them what she wants. The only part that's legit is probably her fear of Jagganoth and the successor, but that just encourages her more to be gluttonous and enjoy her remaining time as much as possible.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I think you folks are forgetting the "destiny will twist you" bit that Mottom started off her talk with Allison. She's not saying there's no way she can change how she rules, she's saying that she is just as much a prisoner now as the ruler of 1/7th of creation as she was when she was abducted.

Think about it. When she was 13 or 14, she was a math nerd that loved cooking who also happened to have pretty hair. Then Hastet came, and everything she was able to call herself was discarded except for her hair. Being constantly raped as a child is bad enough, but she experienced a profound helplessness caused by the expectations of an extremely patriarchal society as Hastet's wife. Her wants and desires didn't matter one whit, she was The Glimmering Pearl Mother Om.

And she still can't escape that identity. Even in freedom, even possessing the power of a deity, she still can't find that little 14 year old girl that was ripped away. Fate my have provided nigh-unlimited power, but it couldn't restore to her the belief that she has control over herself.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 1, 2016

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

i wish i could find that vignette thats a riff on the Judgement of Solomon where everyone dies and the baby ends up a ward of the state.

quote:

Q. Anonymous asked:

In my travels, I came across an obscure, unconquered world. I was surprised to find a book which contained an account of the life of God-King Solomon David, who even in this backwater, which knew nothing of the Concordance or the Wheel, was regarded as a paragon of wisdom! To demonstrate this, it told the tale of two prostitutes who came before him with a babe, each claiming it as their own. The God-King rendered a judgement that amazed all who witnessed. How close is this tale to the truth?

A. Very true. I believe the well-known story was that Solomon offered to split the babe in two for fairness’ sake, and when the real mother began to cry, Solomon knew who was telling the truth.

In fact, I was recounted the true story of this incident by a traveling peddler. Solomon was very kind to both women and listened to their concerns, leaving them with the promise of the assignment of a high imperial clerk to their case. The clerk quickly determined in no time at all through the well-organized imperial intelligence service that one of the prostitutes had a liason with a minor but decorated officer of the third legion some time ago. Questioning the officer uncovered very quickly the true identity of the baby’s mother, who were notified and brought to one of the world courts at haste. It had scarcely been a day.

Since lying in the court is a serious offense, the false mother was sentenced and executed later that day. Since copulating with an acting officer is a serious offense, the true mother was sentenced to six months of hard labor, her child was taken as a ward of the state, and her lover, the officer in question, was discharged from the imperial military, had his citizenship revoked, and died of complications from syphilis a year later, or so I hear.

The true mother is doing better, I’ve heard she is a clerk now, and her education was paid for by the crown.

She will still never get her child back.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
The more of Mottom that we see, the more I get the feeling Abaddon got at least some inspiration from the accounted life of Cixi.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/cixi-the-woman-behind-the-throne-22312071/?no-ist
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empress_Dowager_Cixi

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Begemot posted:

Mottom doesn't want reform, she's perfectly happy with her empire as it is now. Allison is right, these are just excuses she uses to justify her horrific actions.

Her realm wasn't just straight up inherited from her husband, we saw flashbacks of her as a demiurge. She's playing at being weak and powerless before her underlings but we've seen that she's not. Mottom fought in the war of the heavens and earned her right to rule over 111,111 universes, and she's doing with them what she wants. The only part that's legit is probably her fear of Jagganoth and the successor, but that just encourages her more to be gluttonous and enjoy her remaining time as much as possible.

Oh, I wouldn't say she's perfectly happy with it. She utterly detests what she sees as the necessities of her rule.

If Mottom was presented the option to snap her fingers and reform her empire into something a tiny bit less luxurious for her but that isn't reliant on universal conquest to function, she would do it in a heartbeat.

But there are no guarantees that her reforms will not trigger a time of weakness, that someone else will not see it as a moment to strike, that the reforms will be less total than she might prefer, and she will have sacrificed that fraction of luxury for nothing.

Mottom is ruled by fear, and to the fearful, it does not matter how terrible the status quo might be if there is even the slightest chance that changing it might lead to something worse.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hiveminded posted:

The more of Mottom that we see, the more I get the feeling Abaddon got at least some inspiration from the accounted life of Cixi.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/cixi-the-woman-behind-the-throne-22312071/?no-ist
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empress_Dowager_Cixi

I really should have caught onto this sooner given that I studied Cixi not long ago. Now that you mention it I feels obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Aesma would tell Mottom to suck it up, become too pigheaded to care, and blunder headlong into enlightenment by wedgieing a nerd so hard it knocks the wheel of samsara off its axis for a moment