Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What is it with TV shows and yellow filters for Mexico? Everybody does it and it just seems lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

muscles like this? posted:

What is it with TV shows and yellow filters for Mexico? Everybody does it and it just seems lazy.

Ees so hot, ese

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Wait til you see Canadian shows, they fuckin love it

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Sober posted:

Wait til you see Canadian shows, they fuckin love it

lmao that part of Orphan Black s3 set in "Mexico" it was just all yellow filters and what I assume is a rock quarry.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I just started watching Moone Boy. Pretty good show man.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Spatula City posted:

lmao that part of Orphan Black s3 set in "Mexico" it was just all yellow filters and what I assume is a rock quarry.

I'm mainly complaining about it because even Person of Interest did it for a scene that was only a couple of minutes long and had plenty of other indicators that it took place in Mexico but nope, they had to put a yellow filter on it.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

I'm mainly complaining about it because even Person of Interest did it for a scene that was only a couple of minutes long and had plenty of other indicators that it took place in Mexico but nope, they had to put a yellow filter on it.

I love CSI's of filters (I really don't, I can't stand the show). Green for Las Vegas, Orange for Miami and Blue for New York (which is becoming as common as the Yellow Mexico trope). Do they do the same thing with CSI: Cyber? What's the color there?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

It's still hilarious how out of all the child actors the guy who plays Bran keeps aging at an astonishing rate while everyone else just kind of looks the same.

GreenNight posted:

Rickon looks like he's 15.

hcreight posted:

All of the remaining Stark children except maybe Jon look considerably older than they did at the start of the show. I mostly just have fun with the show's screwed up passage of time, like with Littlefinger's magic teleporting powers.

You realise this show has been on for 6 years yeah? What exactly would you have them do in a show that casts child actors?

Of course Jon doesn't look considerably older, he was a grown man when the show started.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

xcore posted:

You realise this show has been on for 6 years yeah? What exactly would you have them do in a show that casts child actors?

Of course Jon doesn't look considerably older, he was a grown man when the show started.

How I Met Your Mother filmed all the kids scenes at the start of production, therefore How I Met Your Mother planned their arcing better than GoT.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Kaizoku posted:

How I Met Your Mother filmed all the kids scenes at the start of production, therefore How I Met Your Mother planned their arcing better than GoT.

i don't think anyone who watched the end of himym can say anything good about it tbh

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Kaizoku posted:

I'm sure GoT would have too if every one of their scenes for the next 8 years consisted of sitting on a couch.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Spatula City posted:

A soundstage in Toronto, same as Mexico

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Man, what do I watch now that I'm done with Longmire?

I thought about The Americans, but I feel like that's gonna be really tense. I want something more chill. Like Longmire.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Snak posted:

I thought about The Americans, but I feel like that's gonna be really tense. I want something more chill. Like Longmire.

The Americans is phenomenal, but it is definitely not chill.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Need some more goon reviews on the following shows:

Peaky Blinders
Wayward Pines
Dark Matter
The Whispers
Defiance
The Shannara Chronicles
Humans

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

-Blackadder- posted:

Peaky Blinders
Wayward Pines
Dark Matter
The Whispers
Defiance
The Shannara Chronicles
Humans

Really good
Not good but occasionally fun nonsense
Boring, but I'm still watching it
Complete throwaway of a show
Very good
Interesting, but deeply-flawed
Boring

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

-Blackadder- posted:

Peaky Blinders
Wayward Pines
Dark Matter
The Whispers
Defiance
The Shannara Chronicles
Humans

The only one of these that I've seen is Dark Matter, and I've voiced my opinion lots of places about it, but here it is again:

I dig it. It's not breaking any new ground in terms of format or style. The dialogue writing itself is a bit weak, but it definitly scratches the "group of people on a space ship have adventures" itch that you have if you grew up watching shitloads of star trek and you like things like Firefly. It's got a pretty decent setting, and as the first season unfolds, there's more and more revealed about the setting and the serialized plot. It strikes a decent balance between episodic serial story elements.

If you like scifi, and you've got the stomach for mediocre/cheesy writing that you had to have to survive Star Trek and Babylon 5, you should watch the first season.

Otherwise, skip it. It's not breaking out of the genre dramatically or visually or anything like that.

karrethuun
Jun 6, 2011

-Blackadder- posted:

Peaky Blinders
Wayward Pines
Dark Matter
The Whispers
Defiance
The Shannara Chronicles
Humans

Wayward pines - first half of season is good.. 2nd half not so much, worst finale I've seen until the recent castle finale lol. Won't bother with season 2 most likely.
Dark matter is ok if you like cheesy sci fi
shannara is not that good. I'd only watch if you're a fan of the books or just a huge fantasy fan in general
Humans I thought was great and its only 8 episodes. I thought it was well acted, well written and did a great job with characters. Not for everyone; I can see how some might think its boring as its not very actiony/plot driven.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I thought Humans had an awesome start, okay middle and a dull end.

Dark Matter is just another "motley group of people that live on a spaceship together" show. If you want to watch another one of those, well, there you go.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jun 1, 2016

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh god, all of AMC's new titles will be streaming exclusive to Amazon Prime? I hope they loving improve their streaming service. It's basically unwatchable now, with terrible artifacting every 10 seconds. It's in perfect HD, except for 1 second out of every 10, where poo poo gets all hosed up. It's a terrible way to watch things.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

karrethuun posted:

Wayward pines - first half of season is good.. 2nd half not so much, worst finale I've seen until the recent castle finale lol. Won't bother with season 2 most likely.

I felt the exact opposite, the first half of the season felt like a z-grade attempt at being a mashup of The Prisoner and Twin Peaks that I mostly watched because it was so bad that it was funny but after episode 5 when they reveal what is up with the town it becomes a completely different show that I genuinely liked a lot more.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Snak posted:

Oh god, all of AMC's new titles will be streaming exclusive to Amazon Prime? I hope they loving improve their streaming service. It's basically unwatchable now, with terrible artifacting every 10 seconds. It's in perfect HD, except for 1 second out of every 10, where poo poo gets all hosed up. It's a terrible way to watch things.

Zero issues at all streaming prime. It's on par with Netflix quality.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Zero issues at all streaming prime. It's on par with Netflix quality.

Huh. Maybe it's the ps4 app? I have zero issues with Netflix or Hulu, but Amazon is garbage for me. I'll have to look into it.

Snak fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Jun 1, 2016

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Chris Evans is so much more punchable than Clarkson. I have never seen a host so terrible except for maybe Rush Limbaugh when he subbed for Pat Sajak.

No, this is incorrect

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Snak posted:

if you want the ultimate chill experience, and still want to stay in the police investigation genre, might I recommend Columbo?

Other chill things:
Life (let Damien Lewis's pretty eyes and calming voice soothe you)
The Great British Bake Off
Cosmos (either series)

ooooh, I got another good one: Foyle's War. Period British detective series set prior to, then during, then after WWII, with meticulous attention to period detail in sets and costuming, but also in social context. pretty chill, but at the same time unafraid to confront some harsh realities, as Foyle runs into corruption, government stupidity, and ugly things done for the sake of the war effort. Each episode runs 90 to 100 minutes though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Spatula City posted:

if you want the ultimate chill experience, and still want to stay in the police investigation genre, might I recommend Columbo?

Other chill things:
Life (let Damien Lewis's pretty eyes and calming voice soothe you)
The Great British Bake Off
Cosmos (either series)

ooooh, I got another good one: Foyle's War. Period British detective series set prior to, then during, then after WWII, with meticulous attention to period detail in sets and costuming, but also in social context. pretty chill, but at the same time unafraid to confront some harsh realities, as Foyle runs into corruption, government stupidity, and ugly things done for the sake of the war effort. Each episode runs 90 to 100 minutes though.

yeah, I might do Columbo. Foyle's War also sounds interesting. I wasn't looking for long episodes, but both of those would probably be good anyway.

Life is great, but I've already watched it all twice.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Kaizoku posted:

One of the examples, where sticking to the plan was a bad decision, it made the ending clash completely with the poo poo they did the last two seasons and seem tone deaf.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Snak posted:

yeah, I might do Columbo. Foyle's War also sounds interesting. I wasn't looking for long episodes, but both of those would probably be good anyway.

Foyle's War is fun. Sometimes the episodes are an interesting mystery, sometimes it's a period drama, and sometimes you just watch to see Foyle being grouchy. He does a wonderful grouchy, almost on the level of Vimes from Discworld.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Escobarbarian posted:

No, this is incorrect

Clarkson is a tool, but he can be entertaining. Evans doesn't even have that going for him.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's Britain's fault for creating Chris Evans. Wikipedia says he's one of the highest paid people on the BBC.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Just to let all you know, Powers is now available to those with Playstation Plus accounts in Australia and the U.K.

Because I assume availability is the only reason you all ain't watching this poo poo yo.

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

Snak posted:

Grantchester is good and worth it just for the friendship between the cop and the priest.

If you want to go waaay back watch some Perry Mason. It's much simpler and more measured than modern tv, but the performances are all good and you get some neat glimpses into early 1960s Los Angeles. Plus it's cool when you get to know the supporting characters and Paul Drake gets knocked out/talks about wanting food all the time, or when Hamilton Burger get frustrated from being out-lawyered by Perry again , or Tragg is being a dick.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Clarkson is a tool, but he can be entertaining.

This is more correct but still only around 50% correct

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Snak posted:

Huh. Maybe it's the ps4 app? I have zero issues with Netflix or Hulu, but Amazon is garbage for me. I'll have to look into it.

Most PS4 apps are terrible. Spend $30 and get a Chromecast.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Timby posted:

Most PS4 apps are terrible. Spend $30 and get a Chromecast.

Well, that won't really help with Amazon. But their streaming works flawlessly on a TiVo as well as Roku and FireTV.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I've had no issues with the Amazon or Netflix PS4 apps but I have a powerline adapter so I don't have to use the wireless on the console.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

That's just how Mexico looks. Just like how the entire planet was slightly sepia toned and kind of hazy in the 1970s.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

When I was like five or six, I literally thought the world was in black and white back in the old days. I'm glad the color filters are carrying that torch for a new generation of people who will think Mexico looks like Fallout 3.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Amazon doesn't let you chromecast because they and Google are in a perpetual slapfight. I've tried both Wii U and PS4 apps and they're pretty bad but I don't really have any other options if I want to watch it on my TV instead of my computer.

Capitalism sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Is there an Amazon Prime phone app that works on all android phones that you can at least use to stream to Chromecast? Or does Amazon still have the hilarious notion that people will buy Fire phones for that?

• Locked thread