Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Some guy quit on me in a match and now I've been stuck waiting for a ranked / casual for the past 15 minutes. Is that ragequit-and-both-players-get-a-cooldown thing actually true? Because I think I've been hit by it. Even a 5-bar search usually gets a match within 2 minutes, but 3-5 bar search has absolutely nothing.

Why is this game such a loving mess.

Both players getting punished is definitely real, but there isn't any cooldown for matchmaking until you hit 4 disconnects within 2 hours.

They just gave up somewhere down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Commissar Ken posted:

I'm pretty sure if they put Gief in SMASH he wouldn't have been bottom tier.

Technically you're wrong because SFV is already a spiritual Smash Brothers sequel.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Zand posted:

uh it was impossible to see potential in SFV after a certain point during the betas unless you were being willfully ignorant or had next to zero knowledge of FGs and SFV in general

so you aren't saying anything different, just zanding.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

SectumSempra posted:

so you aren't saying anything different, just zanding.

i dont know what the bold means. i didnt mark the exact day sfv started to look unredeemable on my calendar but i guarantee you it was after a certain point

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

the point was probably when were 3 patches in a row that boiled down to 'we nerfed everyone'

replace 3 with variable X depending on your level of faith in capcom

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Commissar Ken posted:

I'm pretty sure if they put Gief in SMASH he wouldn't have been bottom tier.

That would be Bowser actually and he's sort of in the middle.

There's a free play Third Strike cabinet at my locals and I want to learn it at home so I can play it when I'm not in bracket, is Fightcade easy to set up or do I have to torrent anything?

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.

Brosnan posted:

Even though it doesn't have loving CRAIG IN IT

It has an awesome costume for Yoshimitsu in it, so I'll pick it up for that at least.~

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

NecroMonster posted:

a monkey with wolverine claws and it farts fire

Is that what Ibuki is now

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

On a more positive note, this is some drat good street fighting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_N71pNmep8I

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Reiley posted:

That would be Bowser actually and he's sort of in the middle.

There's a free play Third Strike cabinet at my locals and I want to learn it at home so I can play it when I'm not in bracket, is Fightcade easy to set up or do I have to torrent anything?

I believe this has all the relevant roms: http://www.mediafire.com/download/logwca7phv1qp3h/SF3.rar
Just extract them into the roms directory of fightcade and bish bash bosh.

Also good choice on game, it's a good one.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zand posted:

i dont know what the bold means. i didnt mark the exact day sfv started to look unredeemable on my calendar but i guarantee you it was after a certain point

For me it was Beta 2 -> 3 because even though the actual quality drop was 1 -> 2 I was hoping it was a temporary change but when things got even more anemic in the 3rd round I realized what game I had bought

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

In Training posted:

For me it was Beta 2 -> 3 because even though the actual quality drop was 1 -> 2 I was hoping it was a temporary change but when things got even more anemic in the 3rd round I realized what game I had bought

Out of interest what was changed between beta 1 and 2? Just wondering why so many seem to think beta 1 was the best.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Bisse posted:

Out of interest what was changed between beta 1 and 2? Just wondering why so many seem to think beta 1 was the best.

Theres a 9 minute vesperarcade video just listing ryu nerfs between betas lol.

The first beta had higher damage and some interesting tech with a lot more potential links/combos. Then they took all that away.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bisse posted:

Higher damage mostly, and higher speed of matches. Still surprised nobody on PC has done like a Beta 1 Rebalance or something to try and emulate that first design.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Higher damage mostly, and higher speed of matches. Still surprised nobody on PC has done like a Beta 1 Rebalance or something to try and emulate that first design.

Yeah i forgot about the matching speed. You couldnt throw a punch in training before it found someone.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

The first beta had higher damage and some interesting tech with a lot more potential links/combos. Then they took all that away.
Just watched it. Wow, thats some sick nerfs

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

There was just more combo variety in the first beta too. For instance Ryu could do b.HK, cr.MP, LK Tatsu, EX Shoryu for a nice juicy combo but they now that combo is impossible in two parts (b. HK -> cr.MP and LK Tatsu -> EX Shoryu)

Iirc Ryu could also do all three EX moves in one combo too, which wasn't practical but was :krad: and again added variety.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Also I don't think they had that dumb thing in place yet where you have to jump forward to do air specials.

ROFL Octopus fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jun 1, 2016

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SFV is -

<-

My local friends went back to playing USF4 instead and we never looked back since.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Funny thing, the one character that was mostly unchanged from beta 1 to the final version of the game was Chun, and she's considered by most the best character in the game. She got some worse hitboxes, lost a cancel off her f+MP and V-Trigger links into st.MP, but that's small change compared to what some characters lost.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0yQHmGKhxo

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
im a noob silvder but what the h*ck do u do ag ainst constant light atks > throw . fukekn react techin them i sp impossible and when you predict tech oh look they werent gonna throw but fukning do some bullshit 005 dmg combo

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

im a noob silvder but what the h*ck do u do ag ainst constant light atks > throw . fukekn react techin them i sp impossible and when you predict tech oh look they werent gonna throw but fukning do some bullshit 005 dmg combo

Did you make that post by just rubbing your phone all over your face or something

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Stefan Prodan posted:

Did you make that post by just rubbing your phone all over your face or something

is that how capcom made the game?

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
It's definitely how I play this game. it gets results.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Real hurthling! posted:

All that and Ryu still hits like a truck now too

stiknork
Aug 3, 2006

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

do a late tech (tech after you would be blocking if they hit so it techs a grab or blocks another string)

this gets blown up by small frame traps and shimmys but everything gets blown up by something or else offense would be bad and you'd never land a hit

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

zooted heh posted:

It's definitely how I play this game. it gets results.

the brolylegs control scheme

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

NecroMonster posted:

is that how capcom made the game?
its how marn plays mika mirror match

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

You're getting owned by the shimmy, which gootecks invented.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

cloofish posted:

The Gootecks™ Shimmy™ Sponsored By Cross Counter and Full Sail University

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
So kawaii.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Hey I know this game sucks and nobody plays it but I've been trying to play goons in lobbies every night and mostly succeeding, so if you want to fight us be in Discord around 8 PST.

If you're bad don't be scared I'm bad too!

https://discord.gg/0qCZ0zmMPIzmGSzj

Mattavist fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 2, 2016

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/jun/01/combofiend-i-think-best-street-fighter-5-character-ken-hes-just-always-threatening/

Combofiend thinks Ken is the absolute best character in V. Thoughts? Ken's tier position has always been nebulous at best.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Mattavist posted:

Hey I know this game sucks and nobody plays it but I've been trying to play goons in lobbies every night and mostly succeeding, so if you want to fight us be in Discord around 8 PST.

This game has some problems but is still real fun to play :shobon: Let's do some more sets sometime!

Also, did y'all notice that we can finally actually see which people on our Favorite list are online/offline? Before, it never showed people being offline. This is the kind of thing I would've loved to hear about in their patch notes, but whatever!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Mattavist posted:

I'll try to join at some point this week. Playing a shitton of casuals at CB made me wanna tryhard this game more.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

im getting my recroommasters cabinet tomorrow so im going to be online a whole bunch this weekend too

also moving on from cammy, b/c as i think hobowithashotgun before she's really thin as a character. she has a specific purpose and does it pretty well but outside of that there's just nothing really out there outside of v-skill mixups and practicing instant-airs

kinda thinking necalli since there's not much to him either tbh

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012

cloofish posted:

mno shimm y is the movign back and forth. i mean when they light atk as if they re about do to some block string but then gehtey just throw u. react to taht poo poo? impsossible

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

mno shimm y is the movign back and forth. i mean when they light atk as if they re about do to some block string but then gehtey just throw u. react to taht poo poo? impsossible

Did SFV make you type this way? You might have a lawsuit on your hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

The unmoving shimmy.........