Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Suprfli6 posted:

MG Golf (mggolf.com) bought the remaining stock of Callaway's SR3 balls and has them for $19.95 a dozen, brand new. Just in case any of you guys play that ball and want to stock up on it. I assume the Chrome Soft is doing so well that they decided to just keep pushing it and abandon their other models.

Appreciate this. Picked up 2 dozen. I wonder how it compares to the HEX Tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kameh posted:

Appreciate this. Picked up 2 dozen. I wonder how it compares to the HEX Tour.
I've tried the Hex Black and the SR2, and I think you'll like the SR3.

Callaway's lineup changes even more than TaylorMades though, so it's hard to keep track of what's a rebadge and what's an actual new ball.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
I'm getting close to finishing up my first year of golfing and this is what I'm using.

Driver: Ping G2 11 degree (got it for 40 bucks off ebay)
Irons: Adams Idea A12OS hybrid set, 4-6H, 7-9 Iron, Pitching and Sand Wedge
Putter: Cleveland classic 2i putter

tl;dr Everything is starting to feel really good (especially the hybrids, the 5H is an awesome club) except for my pitching. Once I get to 100 yards or less, I feel like I'm just guessing on how to hit and which wedge to use, and the distance feels totally random. Sometimes I will half swing with the Pitching Wedge from 60 yards and drop it right on the pin, sometimes I will do a quarter swing from 30 yards and blast it over the green.

It is really frustrating and the main thing I want to fix, but upon researching I have realized that there are a lot of different theories and ideas out there. I've also realized I'm hitting my pitching wedge with the same kind of swing I would my 9 iron, as opposed to a different, specific swing. Dave Pezl 4x3? Clock face? How many wedges? I'm assuming I should adopt some kind of better technique pitching/chipping swing, and the idea of having the same tempo swing that I adjust by grabbing a different wedge and/or increasing my backswing seems great.

I've also been reading back in this thread and seen things like "I use my Cleveland 588 58 degree wedge for everything 100 yards and closer". Do I just practice with one versatile wedge a lot or adopt some kind of multi wedge/backswing distance system?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Like you said, there really isn't one correct way. I use my 58 degree vokey for everything but feel like I should start practicing some other clubs. I carry it ~100 yards with a full swing and spend enough time hitting 50 yard shots to know how large of a backswing to take, everything else is just feel. I don't think it's the best way to do it but it's what I'm most comfortable and consistent with.

I just got home from a round, the course was surprisingly not very crowded. Started on the back and joined up with three guys I caught up with, had 7 pars, one bogey, and one double with some frustrating birdie lip-outs. They left after the 18th and I played the front by myself. 7 bogeys and 2 pars for a disappointing 80. I was getting hungry and walking in 85 degree heat isn't great either so I was playing too fast.

UnionCarbide
Apr 17, 2005

D:
I managed to sneak out to play 9 at the course that's about 10 minutes away from me (http://www.diablohillsgolfcourse.com/). +2 through the first 4 :woop: . . . +11 after 9. :argh:

Still happy with the round considering my hilarious handicap, though.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

cheese posted:

I've also been reading back in this thread and seen things like "I use my Cleveland 588 58 degree wedge for everything 100 yards and closer". Do I just practice with one versatile wedge a lot or adopt some kind of multi wedge/backswing distance system?

Sounds like you're quoting me.

Anything around the greens (<10 yards) is going to be my highest lofted club, my 58*. I've learned how to hit different shots with it, and I'm very comfortable attempting to hole a chip shot, not just trying to get it up and down for par.

For longer distances, if you play one wedge inside 100 yards like I do, then you have to rely on "feel," which is basically how far back you have to take it, and how aggressive you are through the ball. Couple this with how open or closed the face is, whether you want the ball to release a bit or stop (or even suck back), and wind conditions, you've got to practice a lot with one club to be confident in your ability to hit the shot when you need to.

I know a lot of folks recommend learning the clock system, or at least a half swing - 3/4 swing - full swing with 4 wedges: PW, GW, SW, LW. This should, based on my own yardages, get you 12 yardages from 135 to 45. Some might overlap, but different clubs will produce different flights (e.g. a half PW might go 65 yards like a 3/4 SW but a much lower and more stable trajectory than a 3/4 SW, etc.)

That being said, I don't really do that. I'll probably drop my 3i this summer, replace it with a 54*, and learn 50%, 75%, and 100% yardages for my 4 wedges (PW, 50*, 54*, 58*).

Point is, I can hit the green inside 100 yards with my 58* 95% of the time. But having set yardages is the difference between a 25 footer for birdie and a 5 footer for birdie, you know?

/rambling

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Josh Lyman posted:

I've tried the Hex Black and the SR2, and I think you'll like the SR3.

Callaway's lineup changes even more than TaylorMades though, so it's hard to keep track of what's a rebadge and what's an actual new ball.

I really liked some of Callaway's offerings in years past, especially the Tour iz, ix, and is balls. And, as we've discussed, the Chromesoft+ is incredible.

Looking forward to trying them this summer.

Somebody on reddit (?) recommended going to TJ Maxx for Bridgestone e6 balls because they're currently $20 / dozen, and there are two special editions: the USA edition and the Azalea (Masters) edition. The USA ones have an American flag on them, and the Azalea balls have...an azalea on them. I couldn't find the USA ones, but I did pick up a dozen of the Azaleas. e6 is a pretty decent ball for $20 brand new.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Isn't Houston windy as poo poo? Have you ever tried hitting an 8-iron low and "only" 100 yds for fun? It's sort of good training for Bandon Dunes and Carnoustie and poo poo like that where hitting it high is just going to do bad things. I read in his bio that someone asked Hogan what club he hit 150 and he showed them with like 4 different clubs with completely different trajectories.

I'd think higher handicappers should just go Pw/50/56 and use the 50 for everything between 40-100 and learn how to dial it down. I have many 20+ hcps in my league and they all try way too many hero shots with lob wedges that always chunk/skull and burn them.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 31, 2016

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~
I have a 64° wedge that is the most fun of any club in my bag

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So I think Speith and Day have something with their long iron off the tee on shorter par 4s.

I put my 4 iron back in my bag for my round on Saturday, I took it out because I have a 4 hybrid that I was using and figured I didn't need it. Man was I wrong!

I can hit it 255-265 with a 5-10 yard draw consistently off the tee all day long. Nothing like not having to worry on tighter/shorter par 4s about missing fairways anymore or using driver/3 wood and leaving it at an odd yardage into the green.

Growing up when I couldn't hit a driver or 3 wood I use to tee off with a 3 iron and forgot how awesome it feels to pure a long iron off the tee right down the middle of the fairway.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Keyser S0ze posted:

Isn't Houston windy as poo poo? Have you ever tried hitting an 8-iron low and "only" 100 yds for fun?

Oh sure, you gotta learn to play in the wind if you wanna shoot good scores around here. I have a 100 yard 7 iron shot down pretty well that I use if I'm in the junk or under the trees. It's useful.

mattfl posted:

4 iron...255-265 with a 5-10 yard draw consistently off the tee all day long.

Dang dude, that's seriously Tiger long. Maybe longer.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

I play 4 iron off the tee all the time, especially when there's a narrow landing area. It's good course management for sure :)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

Dang dude, that's seriously Tiger long. Maybe longer.

Last time I got fitted for my driver my swing speed was averaging around 117. To be fair, this is playing on decently hard fairways so I'm sure I was getting quite a bit of roll. But I can remember at least one hole, that I just looked at my scorecard and the hole was 361 and I had around 115 left to the front of the green where the pin was. I probably over estimated by 5-10 yards. I really need to get some sort of club/distance tracker so I can find out really what I'm hitting everything.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I find Google Earth to be pretty useful for that, along with my laser. I was considering Arccos or Game Golf too but I have a feeling I would end up not taking the time to look at the round afterwards and clean up the data. Plus most of my rounds I'm playing multiple balls and practicing stuff.

I just played the back nine at my home course, started with seven pars and finished with two birdies. I am disappointed the sun was setting so I couldn't play the front. I've never been able to sustain a round like that for all 18 holes and it felt like this might have been the one. The 17th hole is a straight par four, 340 yards down hill, and my drive was on the slope behind the green. It must have missed the hole by no more than a foot or two as it rolled past, lol.

I know my club face is too closed so I correct for it on my downswing and cannot hit fades to save my life except with my driver. This leads to the occasional hook, especially with longer clubs. I feel like I should try to fix this but at the same time I'd hate to start fighting a two-way miss. I'm debating whether I should get a lesson for the first time ever or just stick with what is working (for the most part).

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 1, 2016

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

The answer is always a lesson

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

mattfl posted:

Last time I got fitted for my driver my swing speed was averaging around 117.

Sheeeeet. I average 105, topping out at 108, and I'm the longest in my group by 50 yards. They think I'm God-tier in scrambles. Of course, they think they're 250 yards, so I must be 300 yards on the fly.

I wish. :sad:

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Kameh posted:

Sheeeeet. I average 105, topping out at 108, and I'm the longest in my group by 50 yards. They think I'm God-tier in scrambles. Of course, they think they're 250 yards, so I must be 300 yards on the fly.

I wish. :sad:

I hear the following quite often from friends/older guys I get paired up with and stripe one 290+ down the fairway, also because I'm usually much farther down the fairway than them.

gently caress you
rear end in a top hat
You suck
When I was younger I could hit it that far
Wish my back could still do that
Must be nice to be young

I had one older guy try to hit as far as me one round and I think he threw his back out by the 3rd or 4th drive and gave up lol.

It's also funny seeing guys try to swing as hard as I do and top the poo poo out of the ball too, had one guy who claimed he played to a 5 handicap this past weekend do that a few times on the tee. He talked a lot of poo poo and was clearly not a 5 handicap when he wound up shooting in the high 90s/low 100s for the round, he wanted me to keep score for him as he was going to enter it for a handicap and gave up on that after 9 after he shot 49 lol.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

It is pretty funny playing with people on a course they're unfamiliar with, and seeing them be completely mystified when their drives don't carry the bunkers or hazards that are 200 yards out, despite their insistence that they usually carry it 250. I don't come across many people that hit their drivers past me and 250 carry is a pretty good shot for me. 290-300 total on a flat hole is my absolute limit barring helpful wind or a cart path.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 1, 2016

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Long irons off the tee are fantastic. If you have the time or money look into one of the driving/utility irons that each company is putting out and you will love it. Also want to echo what was said before and keep with the fewest number of wedges. There is only like two situations that a 60 can do that a 56 can not.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

CHAMPION

Suprfli6 posted:

It is pretty funny playing with people on a course they're unfamiliar with, and seeing them be completely mystified when their drives don't carry the bunkers or hazards that are 200 yards out, despite their insistence that they usually carry it 250. I don't come across many people that hit their drivers past me and 250 carry is a pretty good shot for me. 290-300 total on a flat hole is my absolute limit barring helpful wind or a cart path.

I'm right there with you. If I catch one right, I can carry 260, but I'm not looking to carry some junk longer than that. Any drive over 270 is acceptable, and any drive over 300 is special enough that (because I'm still a little bit of a snob) I'll definitely track the drive to pad my stats, knowmsayin?

I get those "I could hit it like that when I was younger / had a better back," but I have a very quick backswing, so my swing perhaps looks more violent than it is.

Edit: When I play a championship length course from the tips, I'm looking to shoot something around the course rating. A lot of the bunkers 270-290 yards out that the PGA pros carry are where my good drives go if they're just offline. Anything less, and my drive will stop short.

Always reminds me how much better they are.

Kameh fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 1, 2016

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Unknownmass posted:

Long irons off the tee are fantastic. If you have the time or money look into one of the driving/utility irons that each company is putting out and you will love it. Also want to echo what was said before and keep with the fewest number of wedges. There is only like two situations that a 60 can do that a 56 can not.

Right now I carry 4 wedges

60 Nike VR Pro - Use this mainly for chipping off the fringe/close to the green and 30 yards or so in
56 Titleist Vokey - 110 and in
50 GW Mizuno JPX 825 - 140 and in
45 PW Mizuno JPX 825 - 150 and in

I could probably do away with the 50 and use my PW for 110-150 distances.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Unknownmass posted:

My set PW is 46 degrees and I use 50/54/58 SM5s currently, I used to have just 52/58 but the courses I play are fairly short so having smaller gaps in the 100-130 range helps me more than another club at the top of my bag that I wouldn't hit at all in most rounds. If I was going to play a longer course I'd consider switching back though.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Unknownmass posted:

There is only like two situations that a 60 can do that a 56 can not.

I would honestly recommend the exact opposite. I like having more short game options, and I'd much rather have a specific club(that I can swing ~100%) in the 100-140 yard range(I de-loft my irons a bit so my 60 degree is 110 - 115 full swing).

If I only carried one wedge(it would be a 56), but I wouldn't have a 130-140 club, or a <120 club. Those a prime scoring areas! Anytime I have <135 into the green I know I have a chance at a birdie.

Also, from the rough around the green I MUCH prefer to have a 60 degree than a 56.

I played my first round in probably 10 months this past weekend. I was....rusty. Amazingly, the first 4-5 times I pulled out my driver I hit absolutely beautiful drives, long and straight. Then I must have realized that I don't normally hit my driver straight and really struggled with it on the back nine. Shot a 78, 36/42. Front nine was ridiculous. Bogied the first hole after topping my tee shot, then eagled the par 5 2nd hole by holing out from 60 yards :psyduck:. Should have actually shot one under on the front, but I had a 5 foot par putt lip out on the 8th hole :(.

Overall I was pretty happy with how I played, I'm out of golf shape though, was not rotating my hips well and it showed with a lot of pulled/snappy iron shots. Can't complain about shooting a 78 though, was expecting more like an 85.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Anyone here use any R15 clubs? Specifically a 3 wood? I used to hit a RBZ Tour Spoon (13*) that I got stupid cheap from a Tmade Staffer, however it didn't really fill the 3 wood roll because I could hit it almost as far as my driver and my 3H was the go-to 'fairway wood' if it was needed. I can get a R15 3wood, brand new for $110, which seems like a pretty solid deal since they retail for about $160 still.

I played golf on Sunday afternoon with a buddy of mine and had to borrow his lovely ping driver and ping 5w a couple times. They must have been 20 years old and he just replaced the shafts on them last year or something. Shot a 87 though and had a ridiculous 2ft birdie on a par 3 that was playing 218 into the wind. Hit a ridiculous fade with his 5 wood that landed pin high and stopped dead, the ball had to be removed from almost a 1 inch deep hole, greens were really soft on the back 9 apparently. Really need to get a driver, that guy with the cheapo M1 has been MIA for a week now :(

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

DoctaFun posted:

I would honestly recommend the exact opposite. I like having more short game options, and I'd much rather have a specific club(that I can swing ~100%) in the 100-140 yard range(I de-loft my irons a bit so my 60 degree is 110 - 115 full swing).

I completely understand what you, Mattfl, and Suprfli6 are saying as I am in the same camp and carry 4 wedges. I was replying very late to someone who has been playing a year asking about getting more skilled/confident with the 110 and closer distance. The three of you are quite good at golf and if I remember this thread from years past Docta, you were competing at a high level. I would imagine you have swung each of your wedges more then a player of 1 year has swung all of their clubs combined. What helped my short game the most was only using my 47 PW and a 56 sand wedge for anything about 140 out or less. After a season or two of this I was pretty confident with different shots and then moved to more wedges. But this is golf, do what ever you want as long as you have fun.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
Also it was slow at work today and going through golfwrx I found "tiger-stepping" wedges. Has anyone tried this? I need to put new shafts in my wedges and the idea of extreme soft-stepping them to add more spin is intriguing.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Any of you guys in the Chicagoland area and feel like golfing tomorrow? Got the day off and would really love some company as I try to break 100 :v:

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Sataere posted:

Any of you guys in the Chicagoland area and feel like golfing tomorrow? Got the day off and would really love some company as I try to break 100 :v:

Man I wish. I was looking for golfing buddies in Chicago and never had good luck. I just moved to Louisville a week ago though, so I'm out.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Unknownmass posted:

Also it was slow at work today and going through golfwrx I found "tiger-stepping" wedges. Has anyone tried this? I need to put new shafts in my wedges and the idea of extreme soft-stepping them to add more spin is intriguing.

There are times I really want more spin, but really it's because the greens I play on are rock hard and cut too short for the species of grass they are. I'll open the face on my 58 degree and make perfect contact some times, where you can hear the ball fizzing through the air because of how fast it's spinning, and it'll still roll out 5 yards past its pitch mark. Today I played a different course thanks to a GolfNow Hot Deal and the greens were firm but had been watered and were receptive due to being some other species of grass, and almost all of my approaches were stopping next to their pitch mark or backing up a bit. So in my case I could add thousands of RPMs of backspin and still not be able to fire right at most of the pins on my two home courses, as frustrating as that is. They're easy courses overall but the greens are small and fast and have a lot of slope.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Paul Proteus posted:

Man I wish. I was looking for golfing buddies in Chicago and never had good luck. I just moved to Louisville a week ago though, so I'm out.

I just got back from playing nine and kind of feel like never golfing again. I can't afford lessons and I can't stop arm swinging. It really drives me nuts that I have the flexibility to bring my hips back at a 90 degree angle with no effort, but once I get out of my back swing it's all arms. Nothing says gently caress golf like not being able to get your driver 150 yards with any consistency.

Sataere fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 2, 2016

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
A little over two months ago I started a new job that happens to be in the golf industry. The place in LA that I started taking lessons at a few years ago has been blowing up and it went from one guy in a little bay by himself inside of a fitness facility to him moving into his own space with 3 teaching bays, a gym, and a club fitting/building department.

I've been fairly close with the owner/founder since he started (I was like his 5th client) and he just brought me on as their GM since they need business people to actually help them expand at this point. The job's all good and cool and everything, but the point of this story here is that I now have access to a bunch of awesome golf poo poo and it's pretty rad.

My office is in a separate location that was only housing the club building shop and storage space with offices above it, but we just finished turning the warehouse space into a ridiculous $150K hitting bay that we're using to demo our custom simulator installs and for club fittings for VIPs. That means I get to walk downstairs and hit balls on a Trackman with a Swing Catalyst 3D motion plate in the ground whenever I feel like it. I'm sure you guys all know what Trackman is, but Swing Catalyst is a balance and force plate in the ground that measures weight transfer, ground force, and a shitload of other things during the swing and maps it through software that syncs up with the video cameras and Trackman data. We're actually the only place in the US currently with their 3-D balance plate, so their plan is to send a bunch of tour pros to our facility to capture their data.

On top of that I now have two Golf Digest Top 100 club fitters at my disposal, as well as elite level golf coaches and golf fitness trainers. I haven't done it yet, but part of my deal is that I get whatever new equipment I want for free whenever I need it, so I'm going through the whole fitting process next week to replace everything in my bag. We carry all of the major brands plus Miura, PXG, Edel, Bettinardi, Tour Edge, Fourteen, Gauge, and a bunch of other boutique stuff.

It's pretty sweet having all of my golf expenses wiped out since it's all work related now and comped. I just need to keep the company from going bankrupt and this could be a nice long term gig.

I had some time the other day to mess around and went through the Trackman combine, which is an awesome way to practice. You get 3 shots at 10 different targets in order - 60y, 70y, 80y, 90y, 100y, 120y, 160y, 180y, and Driver. Then you go through and do it again from the beginning another 3 times each. You get a score for every shot based on distance from the pin (and carry/total distance/straightness for the driver). When you're done it puts everything in a nice report and uploads your results to their website where they track everything on a global leaderboard.

Overall Results

I was on fire on the 120y target

And for the life of me I cannot hit a stupid driver well indoors. I lose 5+mph club head speed and hit wildly offline shots every goddamn time I try to hit the driver inside, even though I have no issues at all with any other club. I don't feel cramped, but something in my brain is telling me that I'm going to hit the wall that's 10 feet away from me in my backswing and I tense up.

Anyway, EnsGDT, you should come check us out since you're in LA - www.ugp.la is the website.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

Sataere posted:

I just got back from playing nine and kind of feel like never golfing again. I can't afford lessons and I can't stop arm swinging. It really drives me nuts that I have the flexibility to bring my hips back at a 90 degree angle with no effort, but once I get out of my back swing it's all arms. Nothing says gently caress golf like not being able to get your driver 150 yards with any consistency.

I might suggest the group lessons at the Skokie sports park. They won't get you too far, but i got some basic tweaks and it was like 100 for four lessons. I thought they were well worth it. They have more advanced group lessons after the intro ones that assume cover more, but I didnt get to take them.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

BCRock posted:

A little over two months ago I started a new job that happens to be in the golf industry. The place in LA that I started taking lessons at a few years ago has been blowing up and it went from one guy in a little bay by himself inside of a fitness facility to him moving into his own space with 3 teaching bays, a gym, and a club fitting/building department.

I've been fairly close with the owner/founder since he started (I was like his 5th client) and he just brought me on as their GM since they need business people to actually help them expand at this point. The job's all good and cool and everything, but the point of this story here is that I now have access to a bunch of awesome golf poo poo and it's pretty rad.

My office is in a separate location that was only housing the club building shop and storage space with offices above it, but we just finished turning the warehouse space into a ridiculous $150K hitting bay that we're using to demo our custom simulator installs and for club fittings for VIPs. That means I get to walk downstairs and hit balls on a Trackman with a Swing Catalyst 3D motion plate in the ground whenever I feel like it. I'm sure you guys all know what Trackman is, but Swing Catalyst is a balance and force plate in the ground that measures weight transfer, ground force, and a shitload of other things during the swing and maps it through software that syncs up with the video cameras and Trackman data. We're actually the only place in the US currently with their 3-D balance plate, so their plan is to send a bunch of tour pros to our facility to capture their data.

On top of that I now have two Golf Digest Top 100 club fitters at my disposal, as well as elite level golf coaches and golf fitness trainers. I haven't done it yet, but part of my deal is that I get whatever new equipment I want for free whenever I need it, so I'm going through the whole fitting process next week to replace everything in my bag. We carry all of the major brands plus Miura, PXG, Edel, Bettinardi, Tour Edge, Fourteen, Gauge, and a bunch of other boutique stuff.

It's pretty sweet having all of my golf expenses wiped out since it's all work related now and comped. I just need to keep the company from going bankrupt and this could be a nice long term gig.

I had some time the other day to mess around and went through the Trackman combine, which is an awesome way to practice. You get 3 shots at 10 different targets in order - 60y, 70y, 80y, 90y, 100y, 120y, 160y, 180y, and Driver. Then you go through and do it again from the beginning another 3 times each. You get a score for every shot based on distance from the pin (and carry/total distance/straightness for the driver). When you're done it puts everything in a nice report and uploads your results to their website where they track everything on a global leaderboard.

Overall Results

I was on fire on the 120y target

And for the life of me I cannot hit a stupid driver well indoors. I lose 5+mph club head speed and hit wildly offline shots every goddamn time I try to hit the driver inside, even though I have no issues at all with any other club. I don't feel cramped, but something in my brain is telling me that I'm going to hit the wall that's 10 feet away from me in my backswing and I tense up.

Anyway, EnsGDT, you should come check us out since you're in LA - www.ugp.la is the website.

Congrats, sounds like a great gig. Hope everything works out for you guys, I wish there were more places like this.

I do the same thing with my Driver--indoor or outdoor driving range bays doesn't matter, cramped or not--it just doesn't feel right.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

BCRock posted:

Dude, that is awesome. I'll happily stop by!

You should hit up my fitter, Bob Williams, and have him stop by. He lives in Pasadena.

His website: http://www.pasadenaclubfitter.com/

He's a badass with some incredible club fitting knowledge and experience. I golf with him most Sundays, and he's really, really awesome and good at fitting.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I think I've heard Bob's name thrown around before. I'll check him out.

The two guys we have are badass too. Our head guy who's been around since the start a few years ago was on the Ping tour van and then ran the club building department at KZG before joining UGP. The other guy we just hired was the head fitter/builder at the Roger Dunn in West LA for the last 15 years.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

That's awesome.

I think I'm booked up for a while, but when are good days? Also, if you guys open a Pasadena branch let me know so I can work out at that motherfucker hahaha

poo poo maybe I'll drop the film industry and help run it with ya :)

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

EnsGDT posted:

poo poo maybe I'll drop the film industry and help run it with ya :)

That's what I did. I'm making half as much money and working a lot more hours, but now I don't need to make up an excuse to take the day off and golf, and nearly all of my golf expenses are taken care of, so it sort of evens out.

We're open Mon-Thu 6am to 9pm, Friday-Sunday 7am to 5pm. Everything is appointment only, but we give tons of tours to people who just want to check it out as long as you call ahead. Just PM me if you want to come in and I'll give you my email and get you set up.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Unknownmass posted:

I completely understand what you, Mattfl, and Suprfli6 are saying as I am in the same camp and carry 4 wedges. I was replying very late to someone who has been playing a year asking about getting more skilled/confident with the 110 and closer distance. The three of you are quite good at golf and if I remember this thread from years past Docta, you were competing at a high level. I would imagine you have swung each of your wedges more then a player of 1 year has swung all of their clubs combined. What helped my short game the most was only using my 47 PW and a 56 sand wedge for anything about 140 out or less. After a season or two of this I was pretty confident with different shots and then moved to more wedges. But this is golf, do what ever you want as long as you have fun.

That's totally fair, I maybe jumped in a bit quick there. I wouldn't recommend for a beginner to just buy 4 wedges on day one. I had great luck by just adding a 56 degree sand wedge to my bag and using that for everything around the green and anything within whatever distance in the fairway.

I think as you get comfortable and more consistent with your ball striking and yardages is when you should think about adding more 'scoring range clubs'.

Sorry, I've been just skimming this thread lately as I don't get to golf match anymore :(, jumped in there a bit quick :).

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
I rock 13 clubs including a 60degree Vokey & no 3 or 5 wood.

I typically just use a 56 & open the face or change my stance and the 60 degree is only really used to go over a tall tree in front of me or maybe a steep faced bunker. Majority of shots around the green are with the 52 degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Picked up a 60 degree Cleveland 588 Rotex from the local play it again sports for 30 bucks (well used, the bottom of the black club head has had all the black worn away) and spent the afternoon chipping balls in the park. Really fun and by the end, I was getting really reliable 15-20 yard chips with a 9:00 oclock backswing and a nice smooth, relaxed swing. Popping it right up in the air and instantly dying in the fairway length grass. Good poo poo!