Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

ShadowMar posted:

man, the new Hitman™ level is fun and cool. it's also very beautiful. i think the episodic format actually worked out well tbh though i can also understand waiting for all of them to be out.

I'm one of those Hitman players who likes all the levels available at once so that I can play it at whatever pace I feel like instead of replaying one level over and over and over again in different ways before moving on. I like to blind run each level in order and then go back to individual levels to try different ways, and I like having the whole selection of levels at once.

So I'll probably be waiting until the entire game is released before buying the rest of the game beyond the first part. It means I'll have to wait longer for more Hitman but I'm treating it like I do the Telltale games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

sauer kraut posted:

I'd connect my poo poo if it unlocked Witcher 3 on Steam :smith:

This right here

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

This GOG thing is pretty nice, and as others have said I wish there was a reverse thing for Steam. Also, while I'm wishing, I wish I could activate CD keys for old games on Steam like Blizzard allowed on battle.net for Starcraft, Warcraft 3, Diablo 2, etc. I still have the discs for Quake 3 Arena, Unreal Tournament, Knights of the Old Republic, Baldur's Gate and a whole bunch of other poo poo on my shelf and it would be nice to get rid of them.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

owl_pellet posted:

This GOG thing is pretty nice, and as others have said I wish there was a reverse thing for Steam. Also, while I'm wishing, I wish I could activate CD keys for old games on Steam like Blizzard allowed on battle.net for Starcraft, Warcraft 3, Diablo 2, etc. I still have the discs for Quake 3 Arena, Unreal Tournament, Knights of the Old Republic, Baldur's Gate and a whole bunch of other poo poo on my shelf and it would be nice to get rid of them.
Origins lets you do it for EA games. I got both Mass Effects and Alice 2 on Origin through using my boxed copy keys.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
God drat Human Resource Machine really served up a whopper with the last optional program: find the lowest prime factors for a number. By contrast, the last mandatory program was 'sort a list of variable length'.

I can formulate a few strategies, but writing that much code in the client's editor is really tedious. It doesn't help that you can't comment the code without drawing with the mouse :(

I'm aware that I can write the code in notepad, but I still have to monitor and debug in the environment, so I need to add the silly mouse-drawn comments.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
What.

What are you talking about?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Lonjon posted:

What.

What are you talking about?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/375820

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

1. Banished

A good city builder is often the kind of game you can relax with. It's like an ant farm or a fish tank, you have a certain level of input, but from there you just watch nature take its course. Banished is a deceptively relaxing game, with its pastoral themes and gentle, lilting soundtrack. Beneath the inviting exterior however is a persistent test of your planning abilities, one that can have you sweating before you know it.

"Banished" refers to the tiny group of country folk you start the game with, a group of exiles in a wild, untamed land. From a humble start you help them assemble food, shelter, and comfort for themselves against the harsh winters. This is a personal-level game, similar to Tropico or Children of the Nile, where you can follow each individual resident from their house to their work and back. You'll also find elements of the Anno games, with each home and structure having its own inventory of goods that must be balanced against the consumption of the ever-growing population.

This is where the game can make you panic, because I wasn't kidding about the harsh winters. Your people need food, firewood, clothes, tools, medicine, and other goods and services to survive and prosper, and their needs change by season. When winter comes you'll see a run on the food and firewood stores that can quickly leave people starving and freezing if you haven't adequately prepared. Shortfalls can be extremely hard to recover from, because farms are planted and harvested by seasons, orchards take years to grow from saplings, and your livestock ages as your residents do.

Once you master the balance of goods for your populace, the rest of the challenge is up to you. Banished gives you access to all the buildings right up front, only gating them behind required quantities of the basic building materials. You can have your people farming, fishing, herding, hunting, gathering, brewing, trading, and so on in just a few years, and then aside from the seeds and livestock you have to trade for, you'll have seen everything. From that point on the challenge is entirely in balancing your resources as your village expands indefinitely. The margins get thinner and thinner and curveballs like nomads joining your community en masse can throw off your plans, but the basic rules of expansion do not change.

The magic of the game is that you'll play for a few hours, set up a perfectly functional town with all the buildings and services, put it down... and then find yourself coming back to expand again and again. The quaint graphics and simple mechanics make it a delight to simply keep building out further and further. There are no scenarios or campaigns, just you and the random maps to fill, and even without anything pushing you forward to fill them you might find yourself inclined to do just that. Banished ended up being one of the more addictive city builders I've played, making up for simplicity with more than enough charm.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

sliderule posted:

God drat Human Resource Machine really served up a whopper with the last optional program: find the lowest prime factors for a number. By contrast, the last mandatory program was 'sort a list of variable length'.

I can formulate a few strategies, but writing that much code in the client's editor is really tedious. It doesn't help that you can't comment the code without drawing with the mouse :(

I'm aware that I can write the code in notepad, but I still have to monitor and debug in the environment, so I need to add the silly mouse-drawn comments.

git gud :c00lbutt:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

I feel someone needs to heap praise on Khimera: Destroy All Monster Girls, because it is basically a slightly lower budget clone of Shovel Knight with a little Mega Man heaped in to allow you to steal boss skills. It's pretty good! My biggest gripe with it is it has an ugly font... and I will forgive that because the game is fuckin' free, y'all. Get on that.

I thought it was great but dropped it because the attack hitbox is too wonky. You have to get right up in their grill to attack enemies but if they touch you you're done4

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm digging the Witcher III so far, even though I keep unexpectedly falling off cliffs. I only wish you could set custom trackers to specific waypoints, or at least have the direction show up on your minimap. That would be great, I keep having the toggle the map now to see if I'm going in the right direction.
I also got cheated out of 350 xp because I stumbled onto something early and it automatically skipped a few quest steps. :qq:

Other than that, good game, just had my audience with the Emperor.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

owl_pellet posted:

Pretty sure it will for some old games. It's hit-and-miss, but I've gotten some mid-00 releases to be accepted.

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!

sliderule posted:

I just finished that one last night. The program did not end up as complicated as I thought. A useful tip is that I never needed a Prime number greater than 19.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tropico 5 is a really huge improvement over the others, I'm impressed. I was about to fail a mission because I had chosen more democratic values, as well as had a tidal wave of immigration (250 guys, when the population at the time was 600) the people didn't like me enough to vote for the correct choice because of trivial things like "homeless" and "dying of plague" (I love it literally refers to voting for you as voting correctly), and the campaign setup is such that failure means you'd probably have to go back a few missions to retool the island. The mission itself was research enough tech and build a nuke. Panicking, I finally see the answer to all my problems. It was so simple: Martial Law. So I turned that on, the economy collapsed almost over night (but not enough that it wouldn't eventually let me win as it dwindled to nothing from unrest and a large portion of it going into my slush fund), rioting and rebellions start, and half of the army rebels, but fortunately, the half that remained with me was the half with the aircraft carrier, so I bombed them into submission with only minor civilian casualties and exploded buildings.

What a good game. My only complaint is that some objectives can instantly gently caress you if you're not aware in advance of them, and some rewards have a random chance to be good or also just essentially doom the game if you're not ready.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Ouch, if Steamspy is accurate, Banner Saga 2 has sold about 1/10th the first game.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Tropico 5 is a really huge improvement over the others, I'm impressed. I was about to fail a mission because I had chosen more democratic values, as well as had a tidal wave of immigration (250 guys, when the population at the time was 600) the people didn't like me enough to vote for the correct choice because of trivial things like "homeless" and "dying of plague" (I love it literally refers to voting for you as voting correctly), and the campaign setup is such that failure means you'd probably have to go back a few missions to retool the island. The mission itself was research enough tech and build a nuke. Panicking, I finally see the answer to all my problems. It was so simple: Martial Law. So I turned that on, the economy collapsed almost over night (but not enough that it wouldn't eventually let me win as it dwindled to nothing from unrest and a large portion of it going into my slush fund), rioting and rebellions start, and half of the army rebels, but fortunately, the half that remained with me was the half with the aircraft carrier, so I bombed them into submission with only minor civilian casualties and exploded buildings.

What a good game. My only complaint is that some objectives can instantly gently caress you if you're not aware in advance of them, and some rewards have a random chance to be good or also just essentially doom the game if you're not ready.

protip: never send your dynasty members to negotiate with the rebels

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Davincie posted:

protip: never send your dynasty members to negotiate with the rebels

It's only given me two of them so far and that option never popped up, but I'll keep it in mind. Also the two of them showed up in a devil outfit and an angel outfit, at random. The angel looks like she's 70.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

victrix posted:

Ouch, if Steamspy is accurate, Banner Saga 2 has sold about 1/10th the first game.

I'm not surprised, I don't think many people ended the first game with a burning desire to know what happened next.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pretty sure it will for some old games. It's hit-and-miss, but I've gotten some mid-00 releases to be accepted.

There used to be a list of games you can redeem on the Steam support knowledge base, but that article doesn't seem to exist anymore on their current page about retail cd-keys: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7480-wusf-3601

I did find a copy of the original list at http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/415/can-i-register-a-retail-boxed-copy-of-a-game-with-steam , dated 02-05-2012. Some of these are Steamworks games so obviously they've always only been available on Steam, but there's some other stuff there as well.

I also found this updated list that has more games that supposedly work at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1n1Dvs99M_pvGkO_J4Vcq-xORlYifo6GvOfpEI88B4c0/pub?output=html but I haven't tried any of them. It's from https://www.steamgifts.com/discussion/LArHg/steam-redeemable-list .

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

victrix posted:

Doesn't necessarily means the game is terrible (Sorcery 3 has a similar rate compared to 1-2, despite being even better). Still, wonder why?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

I finished Witcher 2, and was pretty happy with my choices. I couldn't bring myself to kill Letho, and the image of Vernon and Anais traveling through the countryside like Arya and The Hound surprisingly cute. :unsmith:

Unfortunately, the Witcher 3 runs like poo poo on my computer. It's playable, but nowhere near good, even with literally every setting on minimum and my resolution the lowest I could set it. The dialogue gets out of sync with character's mouth movements all the time and it's real jarring. :smith:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

It's only given me two of them so far and that option never popped up, but I'll keep it in mind. Also the two of them showed up in a devil outfit and an angel outfit, at random. The angel looks like she's 70.

you can fully customize the look of your dynasty members, but tbh you never see them from up close anyway so its not worth bothering with. also don't forget to use your swiss bank account to upgrade them, each dynasty member can be upgraded to level 5 for some decent increases

Ohhai
Apr 5, 2011

dmboogie posted:

I finished Witcher 2, and was pretty happy with my choices. I couldn't bring myself to kill Letho, and the image of Vernon and Anais traveling through the countryside like Arya and The Hound surprisingly cute. :unsmith:

Unfortunately, the Witcher 3 runs like poo poo on my computer. It's playable, but nowhere near good, even with literally every setting on minimum and my resolution the lowest I could set it. The dialogue gets out of sync with character's mouth movements all the time and it's real jarring. :smith:

You might want to try messing with these;
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/12/
http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/247/

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Oh sweet jesus, thank you. Time to pretend I'm playing a PS2 port. :)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

Doesn't necessarily means the game is terrible (Sorcery 3 has a similar rate compared to 1-2, despite being even better). Still, wonder why?
Because Banner Saga 1 was poo poo? Art was pretty and the story concept neat but goddamn that was some of the worst turn-based combat I've ever seen.
So people who played the first one won't want to buy it and people who didn't won't want to buy a sequel and wait for it to end up in a bundle or 90% off.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
Tried out one of two new schools that I'd not seen in the 3DS Senran Kagura games, and I'm already in love. 7 pronged sword and dark energy?

Please, yell at me more :swoon:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hmm, OK 2K

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

victrix posted:

The first game sold me because I was under the impression that it would be a multiplayer TBS game, like Duelyst or Poxnora. But then it turned out to be something different

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Davincie posted:

you can fully customize the look of your dynasty members, but tbh you never see them from up close anyway so its not worth bothering with. also don't forget to use your swiss bank account to upgrade them, each dynasty member can be upgraded to level 5 for some decent increases

Yeah I wish they did more besides be a manager and sometimes get random events. I also miss the election speeches from 3 and 4.

I played 4 for only a couple missions because it was so identical to 3, did it actually add anything new? I don't remember, but kind of want to replay either 3 or 4 after I finish with 5.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

"Enhanced interaction" :pervert:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
I guess we hit the limit of titty releases for today so Z2 got moved to tomorrow?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

Oh man, Sorcery 3 is really good that's sad :(

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Ninkobei posted:

The first game sold me because I was under the impression that it would be a multiplayer TBS game, like Duelyst or Poxnora. But then it turned out to be something different

People remember Poxnora? Man I remember ads for that all over websites a decade ago.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah I wish they did more besides be a manager and sometimes get random events. I also miss the election speeches from 3 and 4.

I played 4 for only a couple missions because it was so identical to 3, did it actually add anything new? I don't remember, but kind of want to replay either 3 or 4 after I finish with 5.

the main game just added a few buildings making it not really worth it if you already have 3. the expansion, modern times, added a lot of stuff though. most of that stuff is still in tropico 5 however, so i can't say its worth going back for unless you want to just enjoy the campaigns (which are still fun).

thankfully 5 actually added a fair amount of content with the more involved military gameplay and multiplayer, though there's a few buildings and such i missed from 4

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Davincie posted:

the main game just added a few buildings making it not really worth it if you already have 3. the expansion, modern times, added a lot of stuff though. most of that stuff is still in tropico 5 however, so i can't say its worth going back for unless you want to just enjoy the campaigns (which are still fun).

thankfully 5 actually added a fair amount of content with the more involved military gameplay and multiplayer, though there's a few buildings and such i missed from 4

Thanks, I think I have Modern Times and I was really just going to go back for the campaigns like you said so I think I'll go ahead and do that once I've finished 5's off. I'm on the second set of islands so it'd be a bit yet, and I can always pick up the dlc later.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Will I get another chance later in the story to play Gent against the guy in Vizima? I just finished White Orchard and I'm playing Gwent against the guy here and the son of a bitch keeps playing multiple hero cards in every game. In the last game I played, he dropped three different hero cards, and I have yet to get even one hero card in my deck.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

^^^ Yes you can return at any point after you leave. He is impossible to beat your first time through.

Ninkobei posted:

Do you mean on kickstarter or something? Because Banner Saga had an entire separate f2p multiplayer thing come out like a year before the first game. It was really cool and fun.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Hmm, OK 2K

Well that's one way to make sure you can't refund it.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

kater posted:

^^^ Yes you can return at any point after you leave. He is impossible to beat your first time through.

Do you mean on kickstarter or something? Because Banner Saga had an entire separate f2p multiplayer thing come out like a year before the first game. It was really cool and fun.

Yeah it seemed like they just dropped development of the f2p multiplayer after a month, and they added a bunch of pay2win crap. For that first beta-early release phase it was actually really good and balanced, even if the tournaments weren't structured well. As soon as people figured out the meta and started to cheese everything, it became dull and uninteresting to me though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Spaseman posted:

Will I get another chance later in the story to play Gent against the guy in Vizima? I just finished White Orchard and I'm playing Gwent against the guy here and the son of a bitch keeps playing multiple hero cards in every game. In the last game I played, he dropped three different hero cards, and I have yet to get even one hero card in my deck.

The only Gwent cards you can lock yourself out of are in tournaments. So if you absolutely have to complete your Magic deck make sure you save before those (they're obvious, you won't randomly get into one by challenging someone in a tavern).

• Locked thread