Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

DarkSol posted:

I've got plenty of solid fuel for both the burner inserters and the boilers for all 30 of them. I have ten boilers for ten steam engines, each fed from a separate pump per ten boilers.

I'm thinking it may be a bug, because it just started all of a sudden.

I am definitely sure.

Check out this power graph.

Everything looks fine here. Your prducers cut out because you're producing way more than you're consuming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Dr. Stab posted:

Everything looks fine here. Your prducers cut out because you're producing way more than you're consuming.
If you look at the graph on the right, the orange flatlines at its max for a bit while blue drops to 0. That's consistent with running out of steam power when demand was highest.

Again, check the boilers and temperature.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Dr. Stab posted:

I guessing I am missing something then, because the "consumption" and "production" metrics in the top left are not intuitive at all. If what you're saying is true, shouldn't those metrics be swapped. In that my power consumption is a fraction of the power produced?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

DarkSol posted:

I guessing I am missing something then, because the "consumption" and "production" metrics in the top left are not intuitive at all. If what you're saying is true, shouldn't those metrics be swapped. In that my power consumption is a fraction of the power produced?
Yes, it's completely non-intuitive and should just be a single bar. Consumption always equals production -- you don't produce the power unless you can use it right then and there.

So what you want is "consumption" to always be full and for production to be not quite full during the night when you run out of accumulator storage.

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

DarkSol posted:

Your current production is not the same as your max potential. You'll never produce more power than you consume. If your factory is fully powered with 50% of your generators running, then they'll only run at 50%.
But still, I agree with ShadowHawk, check your water temp. If your engines get water <100C (ideally), they won't output at 100% efficiency. The ideal setup is, I think, 13 boilers to 10 engines, without getting into electric pump wizardry.
E:f;b

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

DarkSol posted:

I've got plenty of solid fuel for both the burner inserters and the boilers for all 30 of them. I have ten boilers for ten steam engines, each fed from a separate pump per ten boilers.

I am definitely sure.

Your solar power is covering your usage.

Switch the graph to 5s view and you will see that. The 10h view is just that, average usage for the past 10 hours real time.

Look at the blue line in your graph (solar) it exactly matches the reduction in your steam boiler (orange line) output.

Phssthpok
Nov 7, 2004

fingers like strings of walnuts

Solumin posted:

That's 127 items you need to craft in order to get an assembler. Unless the recipes that make 2 items only count as crafting 1 item (copper cable and wood) in which case it's only 99 crafted items, which is much more reasonable.
Have I missed anything?

Jabor posted:

So that's a perfect 100, leaving 11 discretionary crafts. (Probably an iron axe + a mix of furnaces and burner mining drills to start things off.)

You also need to manually craft the first Oil Refinery, because it can only be made in Assembly Machine 3, which requires oil products. There was some discussion about it on page 90 of this thread.

I got up to logistic bots in such a game, but don't know if my progress will count toward the achievement.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

DarkSol posted:

I am definitely sure.

If you are truly running out of power during both the day and night, ie assemblers and inserters are grinding to a halt, you might have accidentally split your networks and your solar isn't reaching your steam power and vice versa. Disregard if you got that graph by clicking a pole, but if you hit P, try clicking the poles near the steam engine and the solar panels and seeing if the graphs match.

The graph makes it look like you're pegged out at night regardless, so as folks say you can probably squeeze a little more out of existing steam engines by adding more boilers to get to the perfect ratio, while waiting for enough accumulators to ratio up to your solar panels.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

That pic only shows 9 steam engines connected to the network. It should show 30, right? Check your poles and power wires. A screenshot of your steam engine layout might help.

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

Boogalo posted:

That pic only shows 9 steam engines connected to the network. It should show 30, right? Check your poles and power wires. A screenshot of your steam engine layout might help.

Well, hilariously, right before I took that screenshot, I pulled down all but nine, trying to figure out what's going on. I'm going to try the extra boilers and hot water tanks ideas when I get home first, before getting everyone involved in my potential fuckup more than they already have. Oh, and add many more accumulators.

Fake edit: Do accumulators need to be right near the solar panels or can they be anywhere in the power network?

Second fake edit: There are a lot of things in Factorio that aren't really intuitive, but it's insanely addictive. :stonklol:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

DarkSol posted:

Well, hilariously, right before I took that screenshot, I pulled down all but nine, trying to figure out what's going on. I'm going to try the extra boilers and hot water tanks ideas when I get home first, before getting everyone involved in my potential fuckup more than they already have. Oh, and add many more accumulators.

Fake edit: Do accumulators need to be right near the solar panels or can they be anywhere in the power network?

Second fake edit: There are a lot of things in Factorio that aren't really intuitive, but it's insanely addictive. :stonklol:

the ratio of things you want on steam lines is 1 pump: 14 boilers: 10 engines. don't connect all your engines in a huge blob, run exactly that off of each pump and when you hit 1:14:10 build a new pump and set everything on that one.,

kaxman
Jan 15, 2003
Accumulators can go anywhere in the electrical network. The standard rule of thumb for steam power is one offshore pump to 14 boilers to 10 steam engines. Steam engines will only operate when solar panels alone cannot fulfill the power demand. If solar + steam is not enough, then the accumulators will start to discharge. Same in reverse, accumulators will only charge once all other power consumers are satisfied. IIRC the rule of thumb for solar is to have around 20% more panels than accumulators.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Does Bob's mods change the ratio with the upgraded boilers and engines?

The upgraded steam power is one of my favorite things about the mod - makes it viable to cover the world in soot from my endless stacks of boilers.

A power armor module that burns coal or solid fuel for power would be amazing. Spit out pollution wherever you are!

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Dirk the Average posted:

Does Bob's mods change the ratio with the upgraded boilers and engines?

The upgraded steam power is one of my favorite things about the mod - makes it viable to cover the world in soot from my endless stacks of boilers.

A power armor module that burns coal or solid fuel for power would be amazing. Spit out pollution wherever you are!

Only in so far as the boilers are more efficient and you therefore need less of the higher mark ones per 10 engines. The engines all still seem to remove 6 water per. The power increase is probably done by fudging the temperature internally (or similar).

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Are there any mods that just add an additional tier or two of solar/accumulators? I've played with a couple of the mods that add nuclear power, and neither really worked for me, but I would like an option to continue upgrading my power grid rather than just jamming more panels and accumulators in vast fields. I also don't really want a huge add-on that requires a restart, I'd rather just have something that I can plug and play into an existing save.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Outta curiousity for anyone that actually looks at the story end of the game, what's the point of the rockets? I thought the whole gimmick was you crash landed losing all of your supplies to prepare for rockets/colonists arriving, what are you sending into space?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mGdL4XKXew

Also, enjoy this guy's rockets.

scaevola
Jan 25, 2011

mastermind2004 posted:

Are there any mods that just add an additional tier or two of solar/accumulators? I've played with a couple of the mods that add nuclear power, and neither really worked for me, but I would like an option to continue upgrading my power grid rather than just jamming more panels and accumulators in vast fields. I also don't really want a huge add-on that requires a restart, I'd rather just have something that I can plug and play into an existing save.

Factorio Basic/Extended seems ok to me at least. It's got a lot of other stuff as well, but it's fairly modular, so you can grab just the solar panels/accumulators. (Gets you extra poles/substations as well, but I guess that's easily ignorable if you'd like to.)

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=19836

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Azhais posted:

Outta curiousity for anyone that actually looks at the story end of the game, what's the point of the rockets? I thought the whole gimmick was you crash landed losing all of your supplies to prepare for rockets/colonists arriving, what are you sending into space?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mGdL4XKXew

Also, enjoy this guy's rockets.
I think the current idea is you are launching a mapping satellite to identify places for colonists to land/identify the extent of the biter infestation.

Teasers and the roadmap have shown that eventually, you start building things in orbit.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

zedprime posted:

I think the current idea is you are launching a mapping satellite to identify places for colonists to land/identify the extent of the biter infestation.

Teasers and the roadmap have shown that eventually, you start building things in orbit.
Might want to start by identifying the extent of human infestation on our planet first. Those pests breed like crazy.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

DmitriX posted:

Might want to start by identifying the extent of human infestation on our planet first. Those pests breed like crazy.

Yah but at least they don't bite!

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

GenericOverusedName posted:

Yah but at least they don't bite!

I assure you, those vermin can both bite AND spit.
They even have hives, with dedicated spawning facilities!

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

zedprime posted:

I think the current idea is you are launching a mapping satellite to identify places for colonistsinvaders to land/identify the extent of the biter infestation native civilization.

Factorio: Alien Blight Simulator.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Bunch of hippies in the Factorio thread? Mods?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
You don't really need to worry about the biters until they form XCOM against you.

where is my patch, factorio, where is it

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

Good news! they released v 0.12.35!
It fixes exactly 1 bug!

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Evilreaver posted:

You don't really need to worry about the biters until they form XCOM against you.

I like the biters, but In really looking forward to playing against an AI factory, pillaging their trains, raiding their factories for materials and hardware. Perhaps adopt a scrap like mechanic, that allows destroyed assemblers/machines to drop generic resources like copper wire and circuits, but also perhaps unique resources that permit unique tech. And being able to watch the factories grow and tech up.

So in addition to fighting off the local biter vermin, you grow from smashing your coal burning neighbors, to pillaging growing electric mining/smelting/refining operations with shotgun armed guards, to finding sprawling megafactories guarded by tank platoons, power-armored guards, and laser defenses, that protect caches of high tech weapons, ammo, or unique research packs.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Dalaram posted:

I like the biters, but In really looking forward to playing against an AI factory, pillaging their trains, raiding their factories for materials and hardware. Perhaps adopt a scrap like mechanic, that allows destroyed assemblers/machines to drop generic resources like copper wire and circuits, but also perhaps unique resources that permit unique tech. And being able to watch the factories grow and tech up.

So in addition to fighting off the local biter vermin, you grow from smashing your coal burning neighbors, to pillaging growing electric mining/smelting/refining operations with shotgun armed guards, to finding sprawling megafactories guarded by tank platoons, power-armored guards, and laser defenses, that protect caches of high tech weapons, ammo, or unique research packs.

Okay, you've sold me. This sounds like an excellent progression.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Lou Takki posted:

Okay, you've sold me. This sounds like an excellent progression.

No wait, I'm not done -

Maybe instead of crushing your slightly slow neighbors, you hook up a rail train full of research/advanced circuits/alien artifacts, and they pay for at a negotiable rate in oil/coal/steel, which their inserters load up in your train (up to pre-agreed limits, of course!), which you bring back home - supplementing your poor resource deposits in one area.

Or hey, they put a bounty on wiping out that annoying patch of acid spotters nearby, which they gleefully place out in storage chests by their rail stop when you're done.

God, I wish I had more time to code. This all sounds so awesome.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Dalaram posted:

God, I wish I had more time to code. This all sounds so awesome.
You could take a little time and just code my idea (which I forgot what it is hold on lemme hit the question mark on myself...)

Ah, right, battle bots!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3629545&userid=92008#post458188108

Everyone builds their factory separately but they can buy into bigger and better biters to fight your opponents' fighters in an arena! Essentially a way to make competitive MP something that's fun and interesting instead of the sorta poo poo-shoot it is right now. I'd make it myself but, like you, have no time for coding and even less patience for learning how the heck to make Factorio mods.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 2, 2016

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
We just need trains with guns.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Also cows with guns

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

zedprime posted:

Bunch of hippies in the Factorio thread? Mods?

I'm not saying it in a bad way. I just think it's important to go in with your eyes open.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My co-player suggested train cars with buildable slots, so you could put chests, turrets, an assembler, etc on a flatbed.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Evilreaver posted:

My co-player suggested train cars with buildable slots, so you could put chests, turrets, an assembler, etc on a flatbed.
This is a neat idea.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.

Stereotype posted:

We just need trains with guns.

Big guns. :getin:

Might make for a good gameplay trade-off between mobility and firepower.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Bhodi posted:

This is a neat idea.

Factorio: Snowpiercer edition.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

How much of my factory can I replace with children?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Ego Trip posted:

How much of my factory can I replace with children?

First you need the dictatorship exploitation mod, then it scales with your whip production.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Ratzap posted:

First you need the dictatorship exploitation mod, then it scales with your whip production.

Please note that whips require leather, so you might run out of children if you overproduce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

DmitriX posted:

Please note that whips require leather, so you might run out of children if you overproduce.

Just make more children and get leather from them