Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

pointsofdata posted:

Best work lunch chain, go!

Itsu or Tossed for me. Or Wok to Walk if there's one near you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Work has just moved to the City road side of Old Street. Someone got the quick and dirty on lunch options that are worth it? I like burritos.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Kaiho posted:

Work has just moved to the City road side of Old Street. Someone got the quick and dirty on lunch options that are worth it? I like burritos.

On Old St you've got a Nandos and a Bodeans right next to eachother.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I think having Bodean's for lunch on a regular basis might actually kill you, though. :v:

(Or at the very least, your trousers.)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Lemon-Lime posted:

I think having Bodean's for lunch on a regular basis might actually kill you, though. :v:

Tracksuit bottoms are valid for work. Bodeans also deliver.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I know I'm in the massive minority in this thread but think that Bodean's is largely garbage.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
If you are near Old St Whitecross St market has amazing lunch options. Luardos burritos are the best I've ever had.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Kaiho posted:

Arancini Bros has a branch around there, if you get the salad version it's tasty as hell and you can feel like you're being healthy and all that.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

The_Doctor posted:

Right? I love Taco Bell and have it all the time whenever I'm in the US, so to finally have some more here would be aces. I know there was one in Leicester Square in the late 80s/90s but it shut down due to low sales. Now with our broadened palettes, it would be a perfect time for them to hit up the UK all big again.

They'd have to compete with Chipotle and the other 3-6 chains in London now, even though they aren't quite the same. Have you been to a UK one? I don't know if they are even anything like the US ones.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

A UK Taco Bell? Yes, you responded to my post about it originally. It's pretty similar, although the menu is only about 1/3 the size of the American one. Taste is almost the same, but a little more bland. US Taco Bell has more of a spicy kick which I appreciate.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

Kaiho posted:

Steer clear of Mexican Express near Old Street station. It's like someone who had never eaten or seen a burrito described to them what one was over the phone.

You've got Burger Bear in the magic roundabout and Honest Burger nearby, there's a Bone Daddies opening soon near there too. Friends of Ours for brunch type dishes and v. good coffee though that might be a bit out of your way. I haven't been to Hill and Szrok yet but they have sub £10 lunch options and are meant to be great.

On a side note, I went to Rök Smokehouse in Shoreditch a little while ago for dinner and it was very very tasty.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

pantsfree posted:

Steer clear of Mexican Express near Old Street station. It's like someone who had never eaten or seen a burrito described to them what one was over the phone.

You've got Burger Bear in the magic roundabout and Honest Burger nearby, there's a Bone Daddies opening soon near there too. Friends of Ours for brunch type dishes and v. good coffee though that might be a bit out of your way. I haven't been to Hill and Szrok yet but they have sub £10 lunch options and are meant to be great.

On a side note, I went to Rök Smokehouse in Shoreditch a little while ago for dinner and it was very very tasty.

You should definitely go to Hill and Szrok and spend all your money there

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I would love taco bell in London. I'm a sucker for 'good' poo poo food. 90% plastic cheese and triple refined white bread buns in a burger, gently caress yes.

But, it'd die, nobody seems to want it. Instead wanting lovely chains just above the fast food bar like pizza express or giraffe.

That said, I think maccas could save themselves by just increasing the quality of their beef. A big Mac in Oz/NZ is actually edible and tastes of beef.

Kaiho posted:

I know I'm in the massive minority in this thread but think that Bodean's is largely garbage.

Bodeans is garbage. Not even 'good' garbage.

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 29, 2016

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Horse Clocks posted:

I would love taco bell in London. I'm a sucker for 'good' poo poo food. 90% plastic cheese and triple refined white bread buns in a burger, gently caress yes.

But, it'd die, nobody seems to want it. Instead wanting lovely chains just above the fast food bar like pizza express or giraffe.

I think it'd survive, the quality I had up in Nottingham was pretty decent. They certainly weren't scrimping on ingredients.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Lemon-Lime posted:

You'd die happy though.

You should be near a bunch of great vietnamese places near old street.

Pho is the one thing I can't get made well opp here in t'North

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

You should be near a bunch of great vietnamese places near old street.

Pho is the one thing I can't get made well opp here in t'North

Yeah, on kingsland road. A bit far for a lunch break, innit

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
What are the contenders for best burger? I had 5 Guys for lunch yesterday and frankly it didn't really live up to the hype. My top 3 are probably Dirty Burger/Bleecker St/Honest Burger, though I haven't tried Byron yet so that may well change.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
No opinion either way about 5 Guys burgers, but their grilled cheese is pro-choice.

The best one I can remember is Chickn Sourz but for beef burgers I like Bountiful Cow. They reaaaly like beef and it shows.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Heard good things about Meat Liquor's burgers, though on the one occasion I went there I had a chicken burger, which was incredible so I could believe the rest of the menu is up to that. I also have a great fondness for Five Guys, and I've had recommendations for Kua 'Aina off Carnaby Street.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Bleecker.

Tried Honest last week, awful chutney in there. Who puts chutney in a burger?

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 2, 2016

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Sorry to do this but I need some help with my awkward family. My parents want to have dinner in London tomorrow night. My Dad is fine but my Mum doesn't like fish or seafood, won't eat meat on a Friday and is a what I can only politely describe as enthusiastically thrifty. (She's a "I'll just share this starter with someone and then sip sparkling water and make everyone else feel guilty for ordering a main course" type)

My list of ideas so far

Wahaca
Masala Zone or similar thali type restaurant
Tapas somewhere???

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Just go to Zedel, it's the ultimate parental visit restaurant imo. Good food that isn't controversial, not too expensive, big impressive room that makes it feel like an occasion.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Heard good things about Meat Liquor's burgers, though on the one occasion I went there I had a chicken burger, which was incredible so I could believe the rest of the menu is up to that.

It's not, the chicken burgers are way better than the others.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

peanut- posted:

Just go to Zedel, it's the ultimate parental visit restaurant imo. Good food that isn't controversial, not too expensive, big impressive room that makes it feel like an occasion.

Good shout. Thanks.

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

It's not, the chicken burgers are way better than the others.

They've got a dedicated chicken liquor in Brixton as well.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

Heard good things about Meat Liquor's burgers, though on the one occasion I went there I had a chicken burger, which was incredible so I could believe the rest of the menu is up to that. I also have a great fondness for Five Guys, and I've had recommendations for Kua 'Aina off Carnaby Street.

I made a note of Kua Aina and Meat Liquoir for next week, Meat Liquor is the one one Welbeck street right? Any difference to MEATmarket in Jubilee hall or are they interchangeable?

Also want to see Canary wharf this time, and if possible grab a bite and enjoy it in cross rails roof garden, which I heard is fantastic. Any tipps on good sandwiches or on the go food in that area or what to avoid?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah avoid Canary Wharf, why would you want to go there? The Museum of London Docklands is alright, but apart from that the whole place is like being trapped in some dreadful airport.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
It sounded like it was worth seeing on the way to/from Trinity Buoy Wharf? Is it that bad?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I guess not if you're passing through, the station at least is cool. It's mostly just chain shops, boring shiny corporate buildings and an oppressively privatised dystopia feel though

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Crossrail Roof Garden is supposedly pretty good. Food-wise there's not much there, though, apart from the usual chains. You can walk up to Whitechapel for a good curry?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Canary Wharf station is fantastic to look at in a brutalist sci-fi archtiecture way (see it soon in Star Wars: Rogue One!)

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001

Julio Cruz posted:

What are the contenders for best burger? I had 5 Guys for lunch yesterday and frankly it didn't really live up to the hype. My top 3 are probably Dirty Burger/Bleecker St/Honest Burger, though I haven't tried Byron yet so that may well change.

I would at least like to submit rox burger in Lewisham for best burger. I think it's the highest rated place on TripAdvisor for a burger in London and it's just awesome.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Last question before my trip: The buddy I am going to London with would like to know whether there is something "unusual" we could find in London.
Not modernist cuisine cucumber soup balls in tomato foam with liquid pizza or deep-fried mars bars, rather something rare to find, like Peruvian guinea pig or genuinely good but rare to find Asian, for example Nepali or Tibetan or Caribbean takeaway or something.
Comedy option: is there a Bavarian restaurant in London?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Hopper posted:

Like the Bavarian Beerhouse?

http://www.bavarian-beerhouse.co.uk/

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Hopper posted:

Caribbean takeaway
I got a goat curry on Greenwich Market, I think that ship has sailed. Was very good though.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

Bierschenke is better for drinky drink outings, plus they have all you can eat sausage buffets.

If it's proper food OP is after, Delauny can't be beat. Best spatzle I've ever had.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Hopper posted:

Last question before my trip: The buddy I am going to London with would like to know whether there is something "unusual" we could find in London.
Not modernist cuisine cucumber soup balls in tomato foam with liquid pizza or deep-fried mars bars, rather something rare to find, like Peruvian guinea pig or genuinely good but rare to find Asian, for example Nepali or Tibetan or Caribbean takeaway or something.

There are a number of Horn of Africa, Ghanaian, Nigerian etc places all down the Walworth road. Would that fill the brief?

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

So slightly last minute request. Looking to book somewhere for next Friday evening.

It's a ten year (1st wedding) anniversary but due to work looking for places around Highbury/Finsbury Park type area though some travelling acceptable.

Anywhere particularly interesting that might have a table that people have been to recently?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

So slightly last minute request. Looking to book somewhere for next Friday evening.

It's a ten year (1st wedding) anniversary but due to work looking for places around Highbury/Finsbury Park type area though some travelling acceptable.

Anywhere particularly interesting that might have a table that people have been to recently?

My trustworthy chum raves about Primeur. Season is always good. Apparently Incontro likewise.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Tasting menu at Heirloom in Crouch End is wonderful for the price (£45).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

GiantAmazonianOtter posted:

Tasting menu at Heirloom in Crouch End is wonderful for the price (£45).

Ate there recently. Admittedly vegetarian option, but in this day and age a restaurant should do better than s bland spinach risotto with chanterelles (not a great combo texture-wise). A risotto is the most uninspired veggie alternative and it wasn't even done that well. Service was also a bit chaotic. The carnivores enjoyed it though.
We love Bar Esteban. Quite casual but terrific.