Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
If you don't care about it being too plane-like: vertical takeoff lifting body with SRBs to get off of Kerbin may fit the bill.

Radial thrusters just ahead of the CoM to tip the vehicle horizontal after vertical landing on the Mun, then back up after refueling.

Enough balance/control authority to scrub off speed and steer in to a parachute landing at KSC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

If you don't care about it being too plane-like: vertical takeoff lifting body with SRBs to get off of Kerbin may fit the bill.

Radial thrusters just ahead of the CoM to tip the vehicle horizontal after vertical landing on the Mun, then back up after refueling.

Enough balance/control authority to scrub off speed and steer in to a parachute landing at KSC.

Interesting... Sounds good. Thanks!

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Cubey posted:

Rather than Squad making new planets themselves, they should just integrate Outer Planets into the base game.

Why not a KerbalFriendshipdrive to allow them to travel to different solar systems

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TheresaJayne posted:

KerbalFriendshipdrive
:3:

Unimpressed posted:

What I'd love to see (and I know it's not going to happen), is a partially random solar system. So maybe we know enough about Mun and Minmus but everything else is different in every save. So you have to observe the other planes, and send probes and satellites not to gain some points in science to unlock parts, but to know enough about the planets and their moons to be able to land there.
This + more stuff to do on the actual planets + the occasional space goober is my ideal.

Basically I want Kerbal Space Exploration Program.

No Kerbals's Sky

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

TheresaJayne posted:

Why not a KerbalFriendshipdrive to allow them to travel to different solar systems
Just make sure you don't get friendship interdicted.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

At least until your friendship drive dumps .you right between two binary stars and your craft overheats and explodes

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Luneshot posted:

At least until your friendship drive dumps .you right between two binary stars and your craft overheats and explodes
Just fire a heatsink.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I've been watching Scott Manley's 'Kerbal Spaceships Are Serious Business' series and really dig the way technology is progressing from early jet aircraft to rocket planes to early probes and capsules, instead of just starting right off with manned rockets. I want to try a similar run, but I also want to use the Kerbol system instead of the real solar system, and the mods he's using require Real Solar System as a dependency. Is there a similar realism/progression-overhaul mod that doesn't require RSS?

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I know this sounds condescending but it's the first step: did you turn on ascent guidance?

It would probably help if you took a screenshot of your utilities and ascent guidance settings. Utilities settings can mess up everything because the autopilot will adhere to them no matter what.

The rocket moves over fine when I press the yaw keys.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Mister Bates posted:

I've been watching Scott Manley's 'Kerbal Spaceships Are Serious Business' series and really dig the way technology is progressing from early jet aircraft to rocket planes to early probes and capsules, instead of just starting right off with manned rockets. I want to try a similar run, but I also want to use the Kerbol system instead of the real solar system, and the mods he's using require Real Solar System as a dependency. Is there a similar realism/progression-overhaul mod that doesn't require RSS?

Maybe the realistic parts would get into orbit too easily on Kerbin. You can use realism overhaul without real solar system.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

pisshead posted:

Do you have any roll authority?

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

pisshead posted:

Maybe the realistic parts would get into orbit too easily on Kerbin. You can use realism overhaul without real solar system.

Yeah, but the career-mode progression mod he's using, that redoes the contracts and tech tree to incorporate Realism Overhaul, does require RSS, and I'm wondering if there's a similar mod that makes career mode progression a bit more realistic while still letting me use the default solar system.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

OddObserver posted:

Do you have any roll authority?

I can roll it with the keys via the aelirons, very slowly at launch but with greater authority at higher speeds, but the autopilot keeps flicking from one roll side to another on the needle in the bottom left of the screen.

edit: If I manually roll the rocket so the target is 'up' on the navball, then mechjeb seems to pitch it over manually. It still has problems rocking back and forth rolling the rocket throughout the flight.

pisshead fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 1, 2016

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
Here's a quick question: in realism overhaul, how do I get fuel to the RCS thrusters that are on the side of a fuel tank for the main engine?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^^
That should just work, but did you remember to configure the engine type for the RCS jets to be for the fuel type yoo want, and similarly for the tanks? Might also need pressurized tanks (service module or fuselage), I guess. I usually just sick some small spheres with RCS fuel near the engine, and RCS quads on the tank and it works fine as long as I remembered to configure everything.

Wait, hang on, this looks like Realism Overhaul with Real Solar System? Yeah, MJ seems to have difficulty with control there sometimes, perhaps because there are no magical reaction wheels. I think having some RCS seems to help, but I don't have an exact grasp on when its attitude control gets wonky with RSS ---- I won't trust it's launch autopilot there anyway, though; it doesn't seem to do so hot with lower TWR upper stages, or for that matter with ullage and ignition limitations (though that's usually manageable). I did actually find Smart A.S.S Surf and HVel+ modes helpful for launches when it does work, as it can do pitching over way smoother than me.

Also 100km would be to low for orbit there...

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 1, 2016

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
you can also have it display the target and set sas to follow the target indicator and it works better a lot of the time honestly.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
I had the same problems with the same rocket on Kerbin. I know it's too low for orbit, it's not powerful enough to get that high anyway I'm just learning RO/RSS/Mechjeb.

Putting RCS tanks onto the main tank worked, even though the engineer's report said they weren't getting the fuel. In fact I can use the RCS wherever the fuel is, even if it says I don't need it.

Adding RCS for roll solved the problem, now it turns when it should. Now I just need to solve my horrible rocket design.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

Mister Bates posted:

Is there a similar realism/progression-overhaul mod that doesn't require RSS?

I have been using Unmadded before Manned

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
What're the good KSP Let's Plays? I'm interested especially in ones that focus on Colonization since that's something I'm hoping to do in my career game eventually. That's still a bit off though, because I only just got around to landing on the Mun and Minmus (running simultaneous missions) with my first-gen biome-hoppers last night.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
I have better luck with mechjeb when I just use it to put a target on the navball, and use SAS to follow the target. So why doesn't mechjeb just use SAS instead of spazzing about?

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Mister Bates posted:

Better Than Starting Manned.

Don't actually get that one

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Use a tanker in kerbin orbit instead of killing yourself making a space plane with 1200 dv in orbit. If you really want to make it refuel itself you can then go to minimus. From there you can set up any interplanetary transfer you want, and even fall back to Kerbin for a cheap oberth maneuver.

There's still no reason to use a plane for interplanetary trips though. The only place it will be useful is Laythe.

I gotta get back into this game and actually complete an interplanetary mission if I want to give advice about this. :sigh:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

pisshead posted:

The green text by the AoA limiter is saying that this is affecting that autopilot's behavior. Try changing AoA limit to 10 and see what it does.

Other than that I can't say, the picture is so dark I can't see what the vehicle is like. My first thought would also be a control authority issue, since you're way off course already.

As a general piece of advice, you should always have the Q-limiter turned on and set to default unless you're landing or taking off on another planet.

Share the ship file?

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 2, 2016

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007
I've worked around it now, I just use mechjeb to set the target than use SAS to the target, it's way smoother than MJ autopilot, and MJ always fucks up the staging anyway.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hullcam appears to be working again so I may be able to go back to my career save! :neckbeard:

^^^^
Hmmm, normally I'd go to bat for Mechjeb but it's been awfully squirrely since 1.1

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You know, getting a familiar angle on the vehicle you can really see how tiny Kerbin is compared to footage from Earth.

Nose down... I'm sorry the game is just so pretty with scatterer. I have to install the rest of the pretty mods.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 2, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It works! And now I get to experience the wonders of nothing is labeled.

What the hell is this doing floating over here?

Guess I needed the docking port. :downs: Welp, that clears up the mystery of the missing UP-4.

There are still some problems with the save...

:sigh: Arko wasn't as efficient as the newer tugs but still represented a significant investment.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 2, 2016

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012
Something that bugs me about 1.1 is that the stock toolbar is on the right side of the window now. Is there any way to move it to the top right like how it used to be?

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
I've been using unmanned before manned the last few months, definitely a great mod that makes sense.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

pisshead posted:

I've worked around it now, I just use mechjeb to set the target than use SAS to the target, it's way smoother than MJ autopilot, and MJ always fucks up the staging anyway.

Welp, sounds weird to me. MJ is probably wobbling your rocket as it comes up against the AoA limit, the default ascent profile is pretty aggressive about pitching over.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Mister Bates posted:

Venn's Stock Revamp. I don't actually know if it complies to what you're describing, but gently caress it why not. Alternatively you could join the Flowerchild cult and get BDSM (or BTSM I forget). Say what you will about that weirdo, he didn't put opt out tracking metrics that phoned home to his server full of KPOP photos and copywrited a hexagon.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Warbird posted:

Alternatively you could join the Flowerchild cult and get BDSM (or BTSM I forget). Say what you will about that weirdo, he didn't put opt out tracking metrics that phoned home to his server full of KPOP photos and copywrited a hexagon.

isn't btsm still only for 1.0.4 ?

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

Heads up for a new mod called Kerbalism. I have been starting a new career and put around 60h in it, and it has been a great experience so far.
It basically adds all together: life support, signals, radiation mechanics, malfunctions.
The best part is that you can configure it as you want by creating your custom set of rules.
It makes the game much harder tough

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Which life support?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Which life support?

It has its own.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

Welp, sounds weird to me. MJ is probably wobbling your rocket as it comes up against the AoA limit, the default ascent profile is pretty aggressive about pitching over.

I think MJ always wants to make quick, hard movements, whilst SAS prefers slower ones. You can tell when the attitude needles in the bottom left are wildly oscillating back and forth, when holding it in one direction would make it move.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

Which life support?

OddObserver posted:

It has its own.

Well you can possibly use some other life supports and disable that mechanism in Kerbalism. Or you can create your own using the custom rules

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

pisshead posted:

I think MJ always wants to make quick, hard movements, whilst SAS prefers slower ones. You can tell when the attitude needles in the bottom left are wildly oscillating back and forth, when holding it in one direction would make it move.

I think that's the AoA limiter, the interface is telling you the limiter is impacting control.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Anyone else experienced ships from earlier saves just disintegrating in 1.1 like my tug up thread? The picture doesn't do it justice, a couple of the aerospikes were spinning around their mounting points. Without any thrust or input.

I have to say, I think Kerlin is in an attractive configuration right now.

I don't think I'll ever get tired of first person in this game. When I'm not a poor grad student I have to get a VR setup.

Back in my career save with the good old PLOP. It's so derpy, and yet it has 1500 m/s dV. It's a great runabout for Kerbin system. I love it. Propulsive landing on Kerbin too, believe it or not. The parachute is just a backup. They updated HGR thermal values though so I'll have to test re-entry on Kerbin again.

Count the individual spacecraft in the shot.

I just loving building spaceships!

Val loves spaceships too.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
I've had updating Ven's revamp turn labs into station destruction machines (and also do things like make things mounted on them magically fly off the pad when preparing to launch), but I doubt your tug had an MPL.

Edit: wait, HGR on 1.1? Though latest Tantares does have some nice analogues of Soviet parts, too...

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jun 2, 2016