Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

HGH posted:

So Zero Escape 3 has a Steam page up now.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/311240/

i love this series exactly as much as i hate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

HGH posted:

Even more anime titties? What did we do right to deserve this new golden age?

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Steam Thread: Anime Titties and Bear rear end

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Turfahurf posted:

Maybe it's been discussed before but this thread moves too fast for me to keep up, but what are people's thoughts on the DLC for This War of Mine that dropped recently? It seems like it adds a new layer of gameplay and a thick layer of depressing subject matter which is good, but it also kind of sounds like it's just a lot more micromanaging without much else added.

I wouldn't have thought that game could get much more depressing, but woo-boy, they went and added kids :stare:

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

I wouldn't have thought that game could get much more depressing, but woo-boy, they went and added kids :stare:

I don't think I can play that game ever again.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Joe Gillian posted:

Anime Titty Thread: Some steam

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

IIRC, the kids always stay at the base and the main new mechanic is that not only do they need food and sleep, but kids also need some form of entertainment to keep from getting depressed/acting out even worse than the adults.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Croccers posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/485890/
Summer Sale
Experience Summer Sale without losing money. Buy games that you like or those that you don’t.
Be the cool guy that owns every game in store. Customize your game as you like. Change colors and widget locations. Don’t like default game color. Then CHANGE it without any microtransactions.
Non-stop SUMMER SALE even in winter, autumn and spring.

for some reason this needs a 500MB download

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I know some folks in this thread have enjoyed my stories about the steam hat economies, Idle Thumbs just released a compilation of the various emails I've sent in to them with breakdowns and stories around tf2 and such trading. It's a good listen if you're curious, the steam marketplace is a weird one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF52sL2wi1c&hd=1

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Captain Invictus posted:

I know some folks in this thread have enjoyed my stories about the steam hat economies, Idle Thumbs just released a compilation of the various emails I've sent in to them with breakdowns and stories around tf2 and such trading. It's a good listen if you're curious, the steam marketplace is a weird one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF52sL2wi1c&hd=1

My goodness.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Captain Invictus posted:

Hey, can you tell me if there was any noticeable impact from the authorization requirement on the Steam market? People waiting 2 weeks to post an item etc.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Palpek posted:

Hey, can you tell me if there was any noticeable impact from the authorization requirement on the Steam market? People waiting 2 weeks to post an item etc.
If you don't enable the authenticator, then it triggers the 15 day hold on listings. This actually caused a fairly significant increase, initially, in the prices of lower-end items, as less people were willing to list in the first place stuff that wouldn't be worth the extra confirmations via the authenticator, so a lot of 5-10 cent items rose to as high as 20-30 cents each. That may not seem like much, but that's tripling in price, at least, for trading cards, of which you usually need 7-10 of to make a steam badge, making it much more expensive to raise steam levels in a lot of cases. Nowadays it seems it's calmed down a lot, and the 5-10 cent items are now around 10-15 cents, but generally most things rose in price a slight amount across the board. The rate of sales, well, I haven't studied it, so I couldn't say, but I do know a lot of folks have just not bothered selling stuff anymore thanks to the obnoxiousness of the 2-factor authentication for even 4-cent listings(which net the seller a penny after fees), which of course raises prices by decreasing supply. I still think they should do a timed authentication rather than individual authentication, but whatever. I'll list stuff, then pop on a video and tap at the confirm button on my phone for like ten minutes while it slowly confirms everything.

That being said, if you do not have an authenticator, there is Winauth which allows for using a Steam download for it to attach a Google Voice number to, which lets you authenticate stuff without having a smartphone if you're unable to get one.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

HGH posted:

Welp if it's released on the 29th then I extra don't need to get a PSTV for this game. Let's do this. :getin:

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I seem to remember Mafia 2 being recieved fairly poorly, is it worth £3.99?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's an okay game, it's reception was more about all the side stuff being stripped out to sell as DLC, there's very little to do outside the story path unless you stump up more cash. The main game is reasonably fun for that price.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Just wanted to throw out a thank you in here to a couple people. juliuspringle sent me LostWind which looks like a really stylish platformer, and Yakiniku Teishoku just sent me a bunch of Hidden Object Games that I didn't already have. Hidden Object Games rock. Thanks guys.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

That being said, if you do not have an authenticator, there is Winauth which allows for using a Steam download for it to attach a Google Voice number to, which lets you authenticate stuff without having a smartphone if you're unable to get one.

Can you tell me a little more about this? Is this really something where I wouldn't need a tablet or smartphone at all? I can just do all of the authentication stuff via the PC?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

PowerBeard posted:

Wait, seriously. :stare:

I suspect that this may go F2P very soon with a few microtransactions to boot.

I think somebody posted earlier in the thread that the ORIGINAL Witcher has more people playing it right now than Battleborn :stonk:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

il_cornuto posted:

I seem to remember Mafia 2 being recieved fairly poorly, is it worth £3.99?
It is a decent game if you realize it isn't an open world crime game, its a third person shooter with driving through a city map.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Joe Gillian posted:

Why not both?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
The 2nd Animendment - The Right to Bear Asses

Edit: Apparently, Onechanbara is coming out at 7 PDT today. 10 PM Eastern for a steam release? These guys are killing me.

Morter fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 2, 2016

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Guy Mann posted:

Why not both?

Some of us are holding out for a Collect 10 Bare Bara Bear Asses sidequest.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

FirstAidKite posted:

Can you tell me a little more about this? Is this really something where I wouldn't need a tablet or smartphone at all? I can just do all of the authentication stuff via the PC?
Yep, this is absolutely the case. Keep in mind this does not protect you if your PC gets compromised, however, it's not really 2-factor authentication so far as you're logging in through the same device for both steam and the authenticator, so if you get your PC compromised they may be able to get access to your steam account. The point of the phone authenticator is to have two separate devices so you're able to keep your stuff safe in case something goes wrong on your PC.

If you're okay with that, here is a guide for setting up a Winauth authenticator.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=581563653

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Shima Honnou posted:

Doesn't Battleborn already have microtransaction poo poo in it? It's already set up for F2P just needs the price adjusted.

Why the gently caress do people keep saying this, the heroes are not unlockable through microtransactions unless something changed very recently

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

We found one of the five Battleborn players

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Turtlicious posted:

What's up with Witcher 3? I tried it once a few months ago, and I didn't get the hype. I've played 1 and 2 which were jank incarnate, and 3 has a million quests that all have voiced lines, but are still variation on "go collect bear asses" I remember that I had to hunt down a werewolf, and it just wasn't fun, I got lost a few times, and the witcher sense wasn't helping me at all.

Does it get better, or is the first area supposed to be passed through, not 100% completed.

Is getting berated a fetish for you or something?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Even more anime titties? What did we do right to deserve this new golden age?

But neither Lotus, Clover or Alice are in the third game. And Mira is probably a serial killer, she gives that kind of vibe.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

Yep, this is absolutely the case. Keep in mind this does not protect you if your PC gets compromised, however, it's not really 2-factor authentication so far as you're logging in through the same device for both steam and the authenticator, so if you get your PC compromised they may be able to get access to your steam account. The point of the phone authenticator is to have two separate devices so you're able to keep your stuff safe in case something goes wrong on your PC.

If you're okay with that, here is a guide for setting up a Winauth authenticator.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=581563653

In the podcast you mention you have a lot of actual physical goods from DOTA2, TF2, CSGO stuff you bought for digital goods, do you sell those as well or is that too much of a hassle to ship?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It must really suck to be a Gearbox employee and be working on the DLC for Battleborn knowing full well that all your work is going to be played by a few thousand people at the absolute best.

On the other hand it must have been great being the character designer who got a paycheck for shamelessly copying the gentleman steampunk robots from Sir, You Are Being Hunted and calling it a day.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

1. Banished

2. StarTopia

Somehow we made it through the 90s and 00s without a truly classic space station simulator. You would think Deep Space 9 fans or Babylon 5 loyalists would have pulled something together, but really all we have is StarTopia. Despite the novel premise I never really got into this one as a kid, it being more Dungeon Keeper than I had hoped. Revisiting it now I see where it deserves a lot more attention than it got, and also why it was so overlooked.

StarTopia sets you up as the administrator of a classic donut-shaped space station. The first thing that may throw you off about your position is that you're not actually building the station, just filling the interior. Each station is sliced into a dozen sections with three decks each, a service deck, a leisure deck, and a bio deck. You construct buildings within these cavernous spaces that provide all sorts of services to your visitors and residents. These are anything from space motels and bathrooms to research labs and penitentiaries. Most structures can only be built on a specific deck, and in fact you can't build anything on the bio deck, just adjust the landscape for growing different plants.

The result is a game that plays much more like Dungeon Keeper in space than a proper space station builder. Each visitor to your station is simulated, and you can watch them walk around, spend money, and see what they like and dislike about your digs. They also have stats that apply to their job if you hire them, as many of the buildings you build must be staffed. Hiring can be pricey if you go for talented employees, and in fact the economical side of the game can be quite difficult to keep balanced. You need a healthy mix of basic services, entertainment, industrial production, and trading to keep flush with cash, which is actually energy that keeps your station humming as well. There's enough going on to find yourself overwhelmed just keeping up with the basic operation of your station, to say nothing of garbage piling up or spies planting bombs around the place.

There's a five-part tutorial that'll teach you the basics of the interface, and then a ten-mission campaign that drills down on the different aspects of stations. You might have to run a medical station, or a trade hub, or take over a derelict station from squatters. The first five are almost like an extended tutorial, but the latter half can be intensely challenging. A mission will generally take you about an hour but the more difficult ones might need several restarts, their striking difficulty almost requiring foreknowledge of the mission's quirks. If none of that sounds appealing there is an incredibly customizable sandbox mode where you can set victory conditions and individual difficulties to your whims.

The basic 3D graphics have held up surprisingly well over the years, from picturesque views up the curves of your station to the little details on each of the aliens. Sound design also remains up to the task, with plenty of understated sci-fi effects and an inviting soundtrack. The big thing that might throw people off is how incredibly British the presentation is, with a dry AI assistant and plenty of off-color humor in facilities like love nests and space discos. Honestly it feels like a sim set in the Hitchhiker's Guide universe, and if that sounds like a good time then you'll get plenty of mileage out of StarTopia. And even if it doesn't, there's a clever, if not perfect, management game to be had.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

pentyne posted:

In the podcast you mention you have a lot of actual physical goods from DOTA2, TF2, CSGO stuff you bought for digital goods, do you sell those as well or is that too much of a hassle to ship?

I've sold some of it but the majority is still in boxes. If you're interested, I've got a thread where I'm selling them among other things for dirt cheap. I still have a few large boxes with like 150 giant winged donkey balloons in them, I tried donating them but since the bags were opened to get the item card, they wouldn't take them, and the party supply store I talked to wound up going out of business before anything happened, so...they're still here.

I'm actually going to be sending a mailbag to the Idle Thumbs guys with a variety of dota stuff in it(among other things) because I know at the very least Sean loves that poo poo.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
So i'm finally getting around to setting up the mobile auth so i can eventually start selling poo poo again, and oh my god this is loving awful.

First it kept telling me there was an error with my Steam Guard status. I googled, and it turns out i had to turn off my wifi, click the link, and then turn my wifi back on and click retry.

Then i got to the page where it said they had sent me an SMS, but i didn't get one. So i clicked resend, and got the SMS with the code...

And then the code doesn't work. I try to hit resend again, but they just send me the same code. The one that doesn't work.

Valve is really garbage at making functional software

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Deakul posted:

Is getting berated a fetish for you or something?

Maybe he just needs to meet Yennefer then.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I got the best doctors. they got the best tools. they're gonna do the best surgeries in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LehSs8pw3BQ

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Freak Futanari posted:

And then the code doesn't work. I try to hit resend again, but they just send me the same code. The one that doesn't work.

Valve is really garbage at making functional software
I had that exact problem. Eventually solved the problem by fiddling with my system clock - making sure it was automatically updated rather than manually set.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I thought the whole mobile auth thing was great because I never really gave a poo poo about trading and now its discussion has been seriously stifled as people devote themselves to more worthwhile endeavors

Keep doing good work Valve!

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Xander77 posted:

I had that exact problem. Eventually solved the problem by fiddling with my system clock - making sure it was automatically updated rather than manually set.

Already tried that, didn't work.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I love it because people who don't want to bother listing stuff now just sell their stuff to me instead :getin:

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Terminally Bored posted:

It's a really good semi-casual puzzler. I'd rate it above 100000000/You Have To Build A Boat even. And the dev is still updating it.

In other news, Defender's Quest is getting an HD upgrade this month:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEarmXpMag8

It's free for everyone who bought the original. People into tower defence games should jump on this poo poo pronto, easily top 5 (maybe even 3) of the genre on Steam.

seconding this, I make sure to give it a plug every time I notice it's on sale

fwiw, my top 3 TD games on steam:

GemCraft - Chasing Shadows - $9.99 - TD game with lots of leeway in how you go about each levels. Many different levels and ways to challenge yourself
Defender's Quest: Valley of the Forgotten - $14.99 - great tower-defense RPG, is getting a free HD upgrade soon
Immortal Defense - $9.99 - trippy sci-fi TD, turn up the GFX to melt your eyes

special bonus mention of Creeper World 3: Arc Eternal - $14.99 - sci-fi TDalike about stopping a relentless mass of blue ooze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

I got the best doctors. they got the best tools. they're gonna do the best surgeries in the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LehSs8pw3BQ

The person playing that has obviously never played a surgeon sim before, going by the way they're fumbling everything everywhere. Christ, get it together Polygon.

• Locked thread