Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
Look I warned you all, and it's far enough back where you can't see it.

Your the ones who wanted to believe in a false idol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

ColHannibal posted:

Look I warned you all, and it's far enough back where you can't see it.

Your the ones who wanted to believe in a false idol.

If a solution works it isn't a dumb one. A++

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anyone have one of those sit/standing convertible desks with built in power strips/etc?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

ColHannibal posted:

Built a new desk and changed some colors around

http://imgur.com/a/xkehe

Are those sleeved cables? Where did you get them?

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Bonobos posted:

Are those sleeved cables? Where did you get them?

I went with mimic cables.

Little pricey but I love the look too much.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

Nephzinho posted:

Anyone have one of those sit/standing convertible desks with built in power strips/etc?

You can get a carriage on this one that has a power strip: http://www.nextdesks.com/store/terra

But it's not like, exposed plugs from the desk side.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

ColHannibal posted:

I went with mimic cables.

Little pricey but I love the look too much.

I don't normally judge people for purchase but...the prices on these cables...

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Photex posted:

[/

[quote="Photex" post="460631296"]

You don't want to know about my keyboard.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

ColHannibal posted:

You don't want to know about my keyboard.

a keyboard I can understand the cost, but those cables man, are they at least gold tipped to provide faster data transfer?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Photex posted:

a keyboard I can understand the cost, but those cables man, are they at least gold tipped to provide faster data transfer?

Lol, compared to what a troubling number of rich idiots will pay for speaker wire or headphone cables, $30 for a braided USB dealie is a mouse's fart in a hurricane.

It's more than I'd pay, sure, but it's also not 'lol expensive.'

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Photex posted:

I looked into doing it myself and may in the future but the individual pieces and tools come out to about the same due to MOQs.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

ILikeVoltron posted:

You can get a carriage on this one that has a power strip: http://www.nextdesks.com/store/terra

But it's not like, exposed plugs from the desk side.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99022526/
+
http://amzn.com/B00K8ZMVZ4
=
$502.83

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

I'm sure the nextdesk people create good products and whatnot, but I was thinking the same thing yesterday. Looking at their website, it has all the bravado of a start-up and/or hipster cafe, where everything is artisanal, hand-crafted, premium, patent-pending, innovative technology; cf. the "Artisan Bar" of "precisely bent" aluminium or a lot of products that look remarkably similar to Ergotron stuff, just with grander sounding names, let alone the "SecondStance™ anti-fatigue standing mat", which is, of course, "backed by science".

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome
Since we are talking about desks, friend of mine sent me this, no idea on the quality but the price difference is quite a lot.

https://www.autonomous.ai/desk

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

I finally replaced all my monitors at once, so they're not all different sizes and heights.

The rightmost monitor is connected to both the Windows desktop (Pancake) and the OSX laptop (Quesadilla) via different inputs, so I can either do two screens for the PC plus one screen for the Mac, or have all three screens for the PC for widescreen gaming.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I like that you made a fancy diagram just to explain that simple configuration ;)

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

SEKCobra posted:

I like that you made a fancy diagram just to explain that simple configuration ;)
This except without the playful wink (French Fries) and I'm actually sarcastically (Kale) making fun of him.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

Bill Barber posted:

This except without the playful wink (French Fries) and I'm actually sarcastically (Kale) making fun of him.

For a second I got really confused about (Kebab) but then I remembered the post and thought it was really (Straciatella).

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

I guess that's fine if you don't mind re-buying a desk every time you move.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

P.D.B. Fishsticks posted:

I finally replaced all my monitors at once, so they're not all different sizes and heights.

The rightmost monitor is connected to both the Windows desktop (Pancake) and the OSX laptop (Quesadilla) via different inputs, so I can either do two screens for the PC plus one screen for the Mac, or have all three screens for the PC for widescreen gaming.

No Target Display Mode option? I guess it barely works on anything?

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

Haven't even tried, but I'm not sure that it would help me here in any case – I don't need to have another computer use my MacBook's built in screen, and the external monitor has multiple inputs anyway, so it's not hard to toggle between sources on the on-screen menu.

The bigger pain is that apparently nVidia's surround has no memory of monitor arrangement, so every single time I toggle it on or off I have to rearrange the displays in the settings.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

niss posted:

Since we are talking about desks, friend of mine sent me this, no idea on the quality but the price difference is quite a lot.

https://www.autonomous.ai/desk

We have these at work and they are perfectly adequate sit/stand desks.

Honestly, if you're not moving them up and down several times a day you could save some money and just get a manual one instead.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Krailor posted:

We have these at work and they are perfectly adequate sit/stand desks.

Honestly, if you're not moving them up and down several times a day you could save some money and just get a manual one instead.

Don't get the ones with the touchscreen controls - they're twitchy as hell and if you walk past them you risk the desk deciding to go 'OKAY LETS GO ALL THE WAY UP/DOWN!' and dump your poo poo all over the floor. Source: yeah, done that.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

How do you integrate it all with that sick Aiwa jambox?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

HEY NONG MAN posted:

How do you integrate it all with that sick Aiwa jambox?

drat, got my hopes up. Looks like a Philips. Aiwa makes me all nostalgic.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

HalloKitty posted:

This reminds me, when I bought my first car it had a crummy Aiwa MP3-cd player. I ended up keeping it because I was poor and it still worked, though really slowly. I didn't learn until I replaced it that it was one of the first in-car MP3cd players on the market, made all the way back in 2000. Surprised the little bastard worked at all.

e: drat, looking at this made me realize how old I am :(

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, some Philips stereo I got a decade and a half ago but it still works so why change it? It's just got an RCA line in so I just connect that to the mixer out, which is again way more than I need for the sole purpose of letting two computers use the same speakers at the same time, but it was cheap and it works.

Since I'm already being teased for overzealous diagramming of simple concepts, I may as well double down:

P.D.B. Fishsticks fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 16, 2016

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
God bless you.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
The bad thing about that isn't that you made a diagramm, but that the cabling on that diagramm ist still such a mess that it's not very functional.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Man, who uses PS/2 anymore.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

ijyt posted:

Man, who uses PS/2 anymore.

What's wrong with it, frankly?

I don't have it on my board, but I don't see anything wrong with using it.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Yeah, some Philips stereo I got a decade and a half ago but it still works so why change it? It's just got an RCA line in so I just connect that to the mixer out, which is again way more than I need for the sole purpose of letting two computers use the same speakers at the same time, but it was cheap and it works.

Since I'm already being teased for overzealous diagramming of simple concepts, I may as well double down:

:yikes:

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

what kind of poor doesn't have a printer scanner combo

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

HalloKitty posted:

What's wrong with it, frankly?

I don't have it on my board, but I don't see anything wrong with using it.

And isn't PS/2 actually still better for keyboards anyway, in that it supports more simultaneous key presses?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hope you never have a power surge...

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

GreatGreen posted:

And isn't PS/2 actually still better for keyboards anyway, in that it supports more simultaneous key presses?

There's no limit on how many keypresses you can detect on USB really.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

GreatGreen posted:

Do you often face plant into your keyboard to hit all the keys simultaneously?

P.D.B. Fishsticks
Jun 19, 2010

SEKCobra posted:

The bad thing about that isn't that you made a diagramm, but that the cabling on that diagramm ist still such a mess that it's not very functional.

The "every layer visible" export there is a mess – it's much easier to read if I turn off the Power layer especially – but I did actually use the diagram to figure out where to bundle and route my cables.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

GreatGreen posted:

It's such a non-issue in TYOOL 2016; plenty of USB keyboards have some version of n-key rollover, which typically allow greater than 10 key presses simultaneously; unless you're doing some kung-fu poo poo with your fingers or smashing two keys with every finger, it's not gonna matter. The other poo poo like buffers and latency are dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
There are some keyboard enthusiasts out there that rival audiophiles in their mania.