Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I have yet to find a long cook (36+) bag juice to be even close to appetizing/worth making into a pan sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

toplitzin posted:

I have yet to find a long cook (36+) bag juice to be even close to appetizing/worth making into a pan sauce.

I made simple herbed red wine sauce with the bag juice from 72h ribs and it was the only redeeming thing about the recipe IMO.

Dat dank jus

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

toplitzin posted:

Well yeah, you won't be extracting much gelatin from the meat because of the way you're cooking things. Depending on what you put in the bag, you could end up with something really good though. Like when I do lamb shanks I put some demi in the bag. Lamb imparts its flavor onto the demi, and all I have to do is reduce by half and mount in butter.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
http://u.cubeupload.com/dogmilk/KDI61F.jpg
http://u.cubeupload.com/dogmilk/VqSy6E.jpg
http://u.cubeupload.com/dogmilk/Spr05a.jpg
http://u.cubeupload.com/dogmilk/zItwgi.jpg

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
So far the only good bag juice I've had was from 72 hour short ribs, and that one is very nice.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I don't think I've ever had bad bag juice. 72 hour short ribs, 2 hour chicken thighs, 40 minute salmon, it goes into a pan sauce.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
The bag juice from Kenji's pork belly porcetta was a goddamn revelation.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I've noticed that juice from sous vide tends to "curdle" very fast (the protein goo that normally comes to the top when making a stock), but removing those protein curds has pretty good results.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The bag juice is always full of curds for me. How did you separate it?

edit: also how's your face?

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I just strain it with a small-ish mesh strainer, the curds are big enough to get caught up.

The protein curd actually doesn't taste bad, it's mostly an appearance thing... It can easily disappear in a creamy sauce for instance.

Face is nearly fully healed, they couldn't take out all the stitches on Tuesday but it should be good tomorrow. I'm discovering the real pain is not having front teeth. That nixes eating, and the concussion nixes riding. My two favourite pastimes. :(

Jan fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 26, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If I'm marinating some hanger steak overnight (primarily balsamic), do I want to cook it in the marinade or cook it naked or put in some fresh marinade or maybe it doesn't matter?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
For most bag juices, you still have liquid proteins that haven't maillarded. When you pan cook them, the liquid proteins curdle, and you get the flavors you would normally get from meat cooked under 212°F. Not necessarily a bad thing, but just be aware that this is what you're getting.

If you want to get a traditional pan sauce flavor, the kind that is made from maillarded fond, I think you'd probably have to cook all the water out until the proteins get a chance to brown, then introduce liquids back in.

The bag juice from a 72 hour short rib seems to get these maillarded flavors, using time instead of high temperatures to achieve them.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Question: my Anova will arrive soon, and I am looking into suitable water "tubs" that are the right size and help reduce heat loss from the water to keep the power consumption down.

I am looking into polycarbonate restaurant grade boxes atm, and there are delivery service polystyrene or similar material outer shells that are from fitting for GN standard boxes. A combo of the box + styrene would be ideal I guess but that would cost upwards of 60€ from what I can see.

Any tips (I am in Germany so US products are not an option unless sold in Europe with less than a 100% mark up)

Also what size should I go for? I will be doing 4-6 pieces of whatever meat at most so I was thinking a 20l-30l tub with one of those ikea extendable plate holders to keep bags apart for better flow.

Hopper fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 1, 2016

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

You want something around 11-12 liters. Cambro would be the most well known brand, or RubberMaid. Couldn't find them on Amazon.de If you have a restaurant supply place somewhat near, you should be able to find something similar for ~50 euro.

You could also buy a small cooler and just cut a hole in the lid, that works fairly well.

Dem Bones
Feb 25, 2005
Listen, I didn't face ten long tours against the goddamn 'bots to come back home and lift baby weights.
Current deal on meh.com is a refurb FoodSaver V2222 for $22 (+$5 ship).

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Thanks, I am now probably on a DEA watch list for clicking that link.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Hopper posted:

Question: my Anova will arrive soon, and I am looking into suitable water "tubs" that are the right size and help reduce heat loss from the water to keep the power consumption down.

I am looking into polycarbonate restaurant grade boxes atm, and there are delivery service polystyrene or similar material outer shells that are from fitting for GN standard boxes. A combo of the box + styrene would be ideal I guess but that would cost upwards of 60€ from what I can see.

Any tips (I am in Germany so US products are not an option unless sold in Europe with less than a 100% mark up)

Also what size should I go for? I will be doing 4-6 pieces of whatever meat at most so I was thinking a 20l-30l tub with one of those ikea extendable plate holders to keep bags apart for better flow.

https://www.amazon.de/ETS-Georges-David-S-679964/dp/B00G16WZPK seems fairly close to what I use.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
What's the going recommendation for a vacuum sealer? I was poking around on Amazon hoping it'd be obvious, but it really isn't. Bonus points if there's some kind of compostable bag situation I can get on, because wasting all this plastic is weighing on my conscience.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Rival sells much cheaper ones than Foodsaver that, as far as I've heard from SubG, work fine:
http://www.amazon.com/Seal---Meal-h...s=vacuum+sealer

Compostable bags not a thing.Here are two considerations to ponder:

- The most ecologically responsible you can be with sous vide bags is to wash and reuse Ziploc bags. Keep in mind that they may fail after repeated use and you'll never know when that is until they fail.

- Vacuum sealer bags are not very wasteful in the big scheme of things. Because they are thin material by design you can get a lot of use out of one roll which will be relatively small compared to many other plastic things you're throwing away on a daily basis.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You can reuse roll bags too if you make them longer than you really need.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Relax your conscience by knowing that if you get even 1 hosed up piece of meat from a dodgy bag that leaked you have caused far more ecological waste than all your sous vide trash for a year. Unless you are always going to eat your mistakes I guess.

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Well yeah, you won't be extracting much gelatin from the meat because of the way you're cooking things. Depending on what you put in the bag, you could end up with something really good though. Like when I do lamb shanks I put some demi in the bag. Lamb imparts its flavor onto the demi, and all I have to do is reduce by half and mount in butter.

Great suggestion but I just want to make sure, when you say demi you're talking demiglace? Beef?

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Yeah my $15 Rival sealer from that "woot" buy is still working as well as ever, probably averaging about 5-8 bags per month. I do always observe that warning about taking a 20 second pause between sealings, though, don't do one after another.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Hed posted:

Relax your conscience by knowing that if you get even 1 hosed up piece of meat from a dodgy bag that leaked you have caused far more ecological waste than all your sous vide trash for a year. Unless you are always going to eat your mistakes I guess.

Great suggestion but I just want to make sure, when you say demi you're talking demiglace? Beef?

Yep, demiglace.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
A little while back a couple people mentioned a Harbor Freight torch for searing off their puddle meats. Does anybody know if this is it?

http://www.harborfreight.com/electric-start-propane-torch-91061.html

Seems like I remember some talk about it being shaped like a gun or having some sort of design on it. Anyway, I think my gf is getting me a Bernzomatic and Searzall for my birthday so I want something cheap and functional to tide me over for a couple months.

edit: Ok I'm dumb. Thought it was a lot longer ago that the torch conversation happened, but turns out it was on the last page. Looks like the one I linked is what they were talking about.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 7, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Yep! I just want to add that it's been a wild ride over the past year or so, Sous Vide thread, but since I've given away my circulator as the prize in the latest ICSA tourney I'm going to have to give you up for now. Maybe one day I'll buy another Anova, but until then puddle on without me, comrades. :patriot:

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Anova wifi+BT on Amazon, $170. Drop the hammer on this, do you think, or wait for a better price? I'm not in a hurry but if this is as good as they generally get I might as well go ahead.

http://www.amazon.com/Anova-WiFi-Precision-Cooker-Black/dp/B01761T6V4

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

iirc father's day had a sale last year but I do not recall what it was.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I'm hoping they do. My birthday is Father's Day and my mom is asking me for gift ideas.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Mr. Wookums posted:

iirc father's day had a sale last year but I do not recall what it was.

Same price as this, $30 off.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
It should be there when I get home today :woop:

I figure I should probably plan on making something else for dinner so I'm not in a hurry to unpack it and figure out how it works, but something that's ready by 10pm and can go straight into the refrigerator to bring for lunch tomorrow might work. Any recommendations for a quick and easy first time SV recipe that reheats well?

e: I got a cookin' stick!

I'm going to try boneless skinless chicken breast, 150º for 2.5 hours, chill in an ice bath, then refrigerate and take one to work tomorrow.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 9, 2016

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

FoodSaver vacuum sealer on sale for 40 bucks today at Woot. I can't say I've ever used this model, but I have a different FoodSaver (the FM2000) and it's worked flawlessly.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Surprising no one, Anova has the Precision Cooker on sale for Father's Day for $30 off.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I just sous viddled with my Anova for the first time... mind blown.
Seriously, I expected it to significantly up my steak game but holy poo poo...
the 10€ steak I cooked rivaled much more expensive steaks I had in restaurants :iia:

Divine Blob
Mar 13, 2013
So judging from the posts here, and in our currently rerailed EVE thread, Anova is a pretty solid sous vide cooker?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I love my Anova but wifi is overkill.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I got my WiFi for 150€ in the spring sale. It was a price point I just could not resist. Going to Ikea today to grab that cardholder as a steak rack and an XL tub for making huge things. Plus I need to order polycarbonate tubs in 2 sizes to reduce heat loss.
I regret nothing.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hopper posted:

I got my WiFi for 150€ in the spring sale. It was a price point I just could not resist. Going to Ikea today to grab that cardholder as a steak rack and an XL tub for making huge things. Plus I need to order polycarbonate tubs in 2 sizes to reduce heat loss.
I regret nothing.

If you find a good source for PC tubs let me know tia.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

spankmeister posted:

If you find a good source for PC tubs let me know tia.

Where are you? I have done some research and found online retailers for restaurant equipment that sell what we call GN (Gastronorm) tubs. That's a standard for food safe combineable tubs of different sizes that come in stainless steel or polycarbonate for use in restaurant kitchens. You can get them in different heights and 200 mm high is apparently the way they go for viddling. I am getting a size 1/3 and a size 1/2 with ~7 and 11.5l volume respectively. You can also get lids for them that can be cut out for your device. That order of 2 plus lids will be ~ 25€.

Found a description in English: http://metos.com/page.asp?pageid=7,2

Note: funnily enough only the outside dimensions are standardized, volume can actually vary by manufacturer

Hopper fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Jun 22, 2016

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hopper posted:

Where are you? I have done some research and found online retailers for restaurant equipment that sell what we call GN (Gastronorm) tubs. That's a standard for food safe combineable tubs of different sizes that come in stainless steel or polycarbonate for use in restaurant kitchens. You can get them in different heights and 200 mm high is apparently the way they go for viddling. I am getting a size 1/3 and a size 1/2 with ~7 and 11.5l volume respectively. You can also get lids for them that can be cut out for your device. That order of 2 plus lids will be ~ 25€.

Found a description in English: http://metos.com/page.asp?pageid=7,2

Netherlands, and if my goons.xlsx is up to date you're in Germany and I order stuff from Germany all the time. Deutsch ist kein Problem. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug

namaste faggots posted:

I love my Anova but wifi is overkill.

I love the Wi-Fi. Nice to be able to get the water going before I head home from the trails/gym/whatever.

I was "reverse-searing" my meat (i.e. cook in oven at very low temp-around 250- then hard sear) before Anova and that was pretty great, way better than traditional cook, but then I got the Anova and holy poo poo did that up my game dramatically (specially for things like Chicken or short rib that typically are cooked at high temp or braised to poo poo).

The Anova works well and is very easy to clean. The only thing I would recommend is that if you have hard water, that you toss some vinegar in your cooking bath every once in a while, does a magnificent job of descaling everything (and scale build-up can block the temps sensor).