Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

abagofcheetos posted:

I am absolutely creating a contract to murderize the shopkeeper that kept snitching on me for turning off the power to the bartenders fan outside the exclusive club area.

I like that some random shop keeper sees you turn off a fan, causes a huge ruckus, and ends with a club guard pulling an assault rifle on you. It's like "chill out game I just turned off a fan."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

MinibarMatchman posted:

I have heard absolutely zero reports on sales numbers for the episodes and season passes thus far, I don't know if that bodes ill for future content or not. Also depends on whether or not people ever get the gently caress over the episodic delivery and how it infringes upon their gamer e-honor.

Is anyone still complaining about the episodic nature? I haven't had or read any serious complaints with the game after Sapienza dropped, except that the persistent online nature is still a huge steaming pile of poo poo. At least now they give you the chance to reconnect. I wonder if they'll drop the completely unnecessary online component for the GOTY/compilation/disc release.

Has the game been cracked for PC or the online component been hacked out? The only torrent I see for it (just now looking) is for the alpha, which I guess is probably only a lovely version of Paris.

Actually it still really bothers me that 100% of characters in the game speak English and only English. Seriously guys get some goddamn multinational voice actors to run at least some of your lines.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RBA Starblade posted:

Thanks guys, I have a pretty beefy pc so I'll give the starter pack a shot on PC and see how I like it. Anything I should keep in mind compared to Blood Money (which I was rear end at but that's half the fun)?

Like blood money, costumes are pretty important. Take your time, each level will be divided into sectors that only certain people are allowed into. So like on paris, you'll quickly learn that most of the outdoor areas you can walk around as anybody, but the upper floor requires you to be a waiter or techie or bodyguard, and then the top floor requires you to be a bodyguard or a special type of waiter.

So explore the area that is safe fully, then find a way to get a disguise to get to the next area, then explore that safe area fully, etc.

Also be aware that within certain costumes, there are people who will recognize that you aren't who you are supposed to be. For instance, if you disguise as a bodyguard, most everybody will be chill with you, even other bodyguards, but there are like, head bodyguards which will recognize that you're not supposed to be a bodyguard. You can either use stealth and distraction to sneak around those few head bodyguards, or you can change costumes. The special type of waiter is also allowed on that floor, and because the head bodyguard isn't managing the waiters, he won't actually recognize that you're not a waiter! However, there might be other waiters who do recognize that you're not a waiter!

Learning the NPC roles and paths is half of the game. Then from there you just have to learn all the special opportunities to change people's behavior and kill them in fun ways.

The F1 menu will show you a lot of opportunities, if you need help leave the game setting for notifications on FULL and it'll kinda lead you around to some of the opportunities (though others are still kinda hidden). If you'd rather have the full Blood Money experience and discover it all yourself, turn notifications to MINIMAL and they won't tell you nearly as much until you find them yourself.

Saladman posted:

Is anyone still complaining about the episodic nature? I haven't had or read any serious complaints with the game after Sapienza dropped, except that the persistent online nature is still a huge steaming pile of poo poo. At least now they give you the chance to reconnect. I wonder if they'll drop the completely unnecessary online component for the GOTY/compilation/disc release.

I've still seen several of my friends complain about the episodic nature, but whenever I ask them why they don't seem to have a good answer. It just bugs some people for some reason, they just assume by default that if its episodic it must be money-grubbing or something, but its not.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I mean, I kind of get it. I paid $cashmonies up front for the whole thing, without knowing how good it will be, or if they can stick to the level-a-month schedule. But they made the right noises before release, so I went all-in. Paris reminded me a little of the Blood Money Christmas party level, which I thought was kind of eh, but Italy pretty much confirmed that this was Blood Money 2: Assassination Boogaloo. Marrakesh isn't perfect, but it's no Chicago Library, not by a long shot.

My biggest complaints at this point is that we can't change the default load out (because drat is the lockpick more useful than coins), and we can't start of with more than a few outfits. Let me start in the Italian morgue as a vampire magician, damnit!

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

My main complaint is no suitcase collapsible sniper rifle. It would break some of the levels but c'mon! At least let us use it after you've beaten the level once.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wizard of the Deep posted:

My biggest complaints at this point is that we can't change the default load out (because drat is the lockpick more useful than coins), and we can't start of with more than a few outfits. Let me start in the Italian morgue as a vampire magician, damnit!

You can totally swap coins for lockpick as a starting loadout can't you?

Unlocking the vampire magician outfit as a starting outfit would be a nice reward.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Zaphod42 posted:

You can totally swap coins for lockpick as a starting loadout can't you?

Unlocking the vampire magician outfit as a starting outfit would be a nice reward.

You can absolutely swap out coins for lockpick, yes. You can also swap out the fiber wire for another starting tool as well. Your starting gun always has to be a gun, but you can unlock additional ones to select from.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Trillhouse posted:

My main complaint is no suitcase collapsible sniper rifle. It would break some of the levels but c'mon! At least let us use it after you've beaten the level once.

Someone mentioned this being part of a survey IO ran? It'd be cool as a mastery level 20 item I think. There was something really badass about walking out of a level in blood money with your suit and briefcase and not being chased.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

You can totally swap things out. I'm talking about changing the DEFAULT, so I don't have to swap things around every time I replan. I'm always going to take the Silverballer instead of the starter gun. I'm always going to take the lockpicks instead of the coins. But there's no way (that I know of) to make those the defaults.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

I mean, I kind of get it. I paid $cashmonies up front for the whole thing, without knowing how good it will be, or if they can stick to the level-a-month schedule. But they made the right noises before release, so I went all-in.

That was your decision though, you could have been playing the same Paris level as everyone else but for a pretty minimal investment of $15. It wasn't a Star Wars Battlefront situation where the only way to play the game was to lay out the full 59.99 and hope that the content released later would make it a more complete experience.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Basebf555 posted:

A key thing they need to really stay on top of is keeping the releases on a strict, regular release schedule. I now look forward to a new level dropping every month, and it keeps the game fresh and in my mind as something I want to keep playing. If they get lax with it and start giving us vague release windows that end up getting delayed, and we have 2-3 month gaps between releases, that will be a major annoyance and kill some of my motivation to continue paying attention to the game.

I don't care how long it takes for new stuff to come out so long as they make an effort to outdo themselves each time. Fortunately the series is setup in a way that allows for them to go to practically any location they can dream of so that is at least a ton of creative freedom when it comes to a starting point for each update. In this case it shouldn't be hard to come up with situations a design team would actually love to work hard on at bringing to life.

I think by sticking to a rigid release dates you are only going to see more valid complaints like this...

Saladman posted:

Actually it still really bothers me that 100% of characters in the game speak English and only English. Seriously guys get some goddamn multinational voice actors to run at least some of your lines.

...because deadlines.

Thief fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 2, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

You can totally swap things out. I'm talking about changing the DEFAULT, so I don't have to swap things around every time I replan. I'm always going to take the Silverballer instead of the starter gun. I'm always going to take the lockpicks instead of the coins. But there's no way (that I know of) to make those the defaults.

Ah, now I see what you mean. I don't mind having to pick the lockpicks so it makes sure I really want those, but it is annoying having to swap to the silverballer every time.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just think of the English speakers everywhere as a version of how MGS3 worked, it's just 47 understanding it. They're speaking whatever language.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Zaphod42 posted:

Ah, now I see what you mean. I don't mind having to pick the lockpicks so it makes sure I really want those, but it is annoying having to swap to the silverballer every time.

I wish you could start with no gun, it's semi-annoying to have to find a place to drop the pistol before getting frisked

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

frank.club posted:

I just think of the English speakers everywhere as a version of how MGS3 worked, it's just 47 understanding it. They're speaking whatever language.

It'd be funny if they started doing a lot of multi-language details and people complained it wasn't consistent with previous episodes.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

That was your decision though, you could have been playing the same Paris level as everyone else but for a pretty minimal investment of $15. It wasn't a Star Wars Battlefront situation where the only way to play the game was to lay out the full 59.99 and hope that the content released later would make it a more complete experience.

Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with the view point; I just see where they're coming from.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

wyoak posted:

I wish you could start with no gun, it's semi-annoying to have to find a place to drop the pistol before getting frisked

You actually can :thumbsup: although its kinda hidden. There's a button you can press to de-equip anything in your starting loadout. I wanna say F? It shows up at the bottom of the screen.

You have to go back to the loadout screen, not the "pick something" screen. You highlight or mouse over the weapon and press F or whatever and you'll remove the weapon.

Having to ditch a weapon definitely feels wrong.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with the view point; I just see where they're coming from.

Where are they coming from? I'm not seeing the logic in this viewpoint. If someone had paid full price for the game and then regretted it, the fault would be 100% their own because there was an option to pay $15 for the exact same content.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

I meant in the sense of "general discomfort in the concept of episodic gaming" viewpoint.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hitman has been the only time I've ever played an episodic game that's worked.

HL EPISODES :qq:

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn
i like the developing story line so far. it's very vague and makes no sense when you see it but each time a new level is released it leaks a bit more of the story than last time and things start to make sense.

Also, the way the episodes are released go well with the story and atmosphere that you are just called up when they need you and you don't have any idea what's coming next.

I've put about 45 hours into the first 3 episodes and i feel like if i had the option to just blow through the game in a sitting like blood money it would have made the game less valuable imo

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dr_0ctag0n posted:

i like the developing story line so far. it's very vague and makes no sense when you see it but each time a new level is released it leaks a bit more of the story than last time and things start to make sense.

Also, the way the episodes are released go well with the story and atmosphere that you are just called up when they need you and you don't have any idea what's coming next.

I've put about 45 hours into the first 3 episodes and i feel like if i had the option to just blow through the game in a sitting like blood money it would have made the game less valuable imo

weirdly enough. Marrakesh is probably my favorite "level story" of any hitman game except curtains down. to sound retarded. it feels like poo poo that might really happen in the real world. some dickhead general works with a shithead sociopathic banker. banker robs the country blind and general secretly helps him escape using mercs, then stashes him in his consulate, meanwhile he has dudes fermenting a government overthrow by using a front of a liberation/social justice organization that will lead the social uprising then he waits for a spark so he can take over. and all of this is stopped by killing two dipshits and no one will ever no the wiser.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Dapper_Swindler posted:

weirdly enough. Marrakesh is probably my favorite "level story" of any hitman game except curtains down. to sound retarded. it feels like poo poo that might really happen in the real world. some dickhead general works with a shithead sociopathic banker. banker robs the country blind and general secretly helps him escape using mercs, then stashes him in his consulate, meanwhile he has dudes fermenting a government overthrow by using a front of a liberation/social justice organization that will lead the social uprising then he waits for a spark so he can take over. and all of this is stopped by killing two dipshits and no one will ever no the wiser.

I feel the same way. I liked that you could hear the marks talk about the story too, especially as the masseuse. The subplot of having a group of people making fake propaganda was cool too. Everything really tied together nicely. Also setting up the toilet kill by having two soldiers get caught talking poo poo about the general was awesome.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Trillhouse posted:

I feel the same way. I liked that you could hear the marks talk about the story too, especially as the masseuse. The subplot of having a group of people making fake propaganda was cool too. Everything really tied together nicely. Also setting up the toilet kill by having two soldiers get caught talking poo poo about the general was awesome.

it felt like you were walking in and ending a coup in an airport fiction/clancy novel. it also has my favorite execution in any of the hitman games. you sit in chair as a prisoner. then when he leans into gloat or whatever. you stand up and snap his neck. to sound like sick gently caress it felt well done. all of this dipshits grandiose plans just laid to waste with one quick twist of the hands and no one will even notice.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Watched a soldier take a piss in the shisha bar restroom and was very disappointed that there was no penis.

VERY disappointed.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm an hour in, just got to Paris. This game is incredibly cool and a lot of fun! Even the fuckups are great.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it felt like you were walking in and ending a coup in an airport fiction/clancy novel. it also has my favorite execution in any of the hitman games. you sit in chair as a prisoner. then when he leans into gloat or whatever. you stand up and snap his neck. to sound like sick gently caress it felt well done. all of this dipshits grandiose plans just laid to waste with one quick twist of the hands and no one will even notice.

I'm very sad there seems to be no way to knock out the general, switch him with the prisoner, and have him shot by his own men.

It doesn't really make any logical sense and is far more convoluted than any reasonable plan, but it would've been really cool.

Same with not being able to get the lady to kill the biochemist in Sapienza, that would've been pretty cool.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Cacator posted:

Watched a soldier take a piss in the shisha bar restroom and was very disappointed that there was no penis.

VERY disappointed.

lol the dick in silent assassin was a historic moment

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

HORMELCHILI posted:

lol the dick in silent assassin was a historic moment

I will give them this, the piss stream was nicely rendered

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

I never understood why we needed to give the lady in sapienza her DNA sample from the safe

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Jintor posted:

I'm very sad there seems to be no way to knock out the general, switch him with the prisoner, and have him shot by his own men.

It doesn't really make any logical sense and is far more convoluted than any reasonable plan, but it would've been really cool.

Same with not being able to get the lady to kill the biochemist in Sapienza, that would've been pretty cool.

My biggest disappointment is there being no way to get Strandberg thrown to the protester crowd. That would have been perfect poetic justice.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Basebf555 posted:

A key thing they need to really stay on top of is keeping the releases on a strict, regular release schedule. I now look forward to a new level dropping every month, and it keeps the game fresh and in my mind as something I want to keep playing. If they get lax with it and start giving us vague release windows that end up getting delayed, and we have 2-3 month gaps between releases, that will be a major annoyance and kill some of my motivation to continue paying attention to the game.
It takes way more than a month to make these levels, they've almost certainly all been nearly done since before the game first released.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

it felt like you were walking in and ending a coup in an airport fiction/clancy novel.

Did you listen to the dialogue from the old school headmaster on the roof? He's thinking aloud while writing the plot to his new book and its exactly that. I think someone even uses the phrase "airport fiction" (maybe the couple talking outside in front of the store).

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I have to say, despite the new Hitman being the game which gives the least amount of poo poo about the story out of the whole series, it ironically manages to have what I think is the most interesting. I'm very curious to see where the overall story of the game goes and what the Shadow Client's goals are.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Cacator posted:

VERY disappointed.

Burst out laughing in work. Nice.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I have to say, despite the new Hitman being the game which gives the least amount of poo poo about the story out of the whole series, it ironically manages to have what I think is the most interesting. I'm very curious to see where the overall story of the game goes and what the Shadow Client's goals are.

Likewise. It's crazy, but any Hitman game could EASILY have no story and just be a random string of random assassinations and that'd be great! Yet here we are with Hitman and their world building just adds an extra little level of spice and flavour that really makes it standout.

MORE daydreaming here but...

I was thinking about rival assassins today. Specifically how the "Instinct" vision works with 47 and the minimap. Like if there were rival assassins and they wouldn't appear on the map or in instinct mode because, like you, they're trained to pick out the sounds and smells etc that construe "instinct" and would be countering it.

I mean sure you could just turn those things off from the get go but what else am I going to think about sitting her avoiding work?

That's probably the one thing I DID like about Absolution. So the Fetish Nuns were ridiculous, yeah, but I did like the fact it felt like "The Warriors" at times. You had the Nuns and them 3 Irish Hunter brothers and I think there was another gang too? I can't remember.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I think that's part of why it works this time around. It's taking more of a backseat to the individual missions so it's not as heavy-handed as previous games. Absolution was the worst about it but the original game and Hitman 2 both ended up trying too hard to tie all the hits together and it was just like "ugh I don't caaaaare".

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Manwithastick posted:

I never understood why we needed to give the lady in sapienza her DNA sample from the safe
Because she knew her partner was keeping something secret in the safe and wanted to know what it was. She then freaks out when she sees he's so crazy and paranoid that he's started to collect DNA from her to test it. It's just a way to change her walk pattern slightly so you can use it to blow her up.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I think that's part of why it works this time around. It's taking more of a backseat to the individual missions so it's not as heavy-handed as previous games. Absolution was the worst about it but the original game and Hitman 2 both ended up trying too hard to tie all the hits together and it was just like "ugh I don't caaaaare".

Well, there's only been three missions so far. How much plot development was there three missions into Blood Money?

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 3, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm surprised there's any plot at all to be honest. Though it's funny they keep dancing around 47's goofy origins. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Trillhouse posted:

This and a human shield mechanic would make this game truly great. Being able to grab a dude and use him as a hostage from the "Fake Surrender" prompt would do a lot to help get out of messy situations, and would always feel badass.