Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

how do you track that stat

It records anonymous analytics vis gameanalytics.com (you can turn it off in options if you don't want me to spy on your permadeathing)

145,818 total new game starts.

89 completions of "Earl of Omonporch"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't even own qud yet and i'm not worried about that sort of thing in roguelikes anyway, no worries

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Unormal posted:

3,001,938 snapjaw scavengers killed.

Unormal posted:

So an average of 20.5 snapjaw scavengers killed per game. Seems kinda low.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So an average of 20.5 snapjaw scavengers killed per game. Seems kinda low.

Only ~45,000 completions of bringing Argyve his first knicknack. :getin:

Hactar
Aug 8, 2004

Coup de Grace
It’s iPhone only unfortunately, but it’s a shame not to see anyone talking about Imbroglio, it’s by the creator of 868-HACK and it’s got some really neat ideas:

The deal is, you’re in a 4x4 grid with a small maze and you have to get to the purple crystal. When you get it, your score goes up by 1, you heal a little, and another maze and crystal is created.

The interesting part is, each tile is a weapon card, and when you attack an enemy you use the weapon you’re currently standing on. Killing enemies with a weapon slowly powers the tile up, so you have some interesting decisions to make, like rushing the crystal or taking a roundabout route to try and finish powering up a weapon, or taking an extra hit of damage to get some extra weapon levels.

And the extra interesting part on top of that, is that you can lay out the weapon grid yourself before you start the game, so you can set up your own tactics. You can also see what layout people on the leaderboards are using.

There’s quite a few more details to it on top of this which I could go into, but that’s the basics!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Hactar posted:

It’s iPhone only unfortunately, but it’s a shame not to see anyone talking about Imbroglio, it’s by the creator of 868-HACK and it’s got some really neat ideas:

The deal is, you’re in a 4x4 grid with a small maze and you have to get to the purple crystal. When you get it, your score goes up by 1, you heal a little, and another maze and crystal is created.

The interesting part is, each tile is a weapon card, and when you attack an enemy you use the weapon you’re currently standing on. Killing enemies with a weapon slowly powers the tile up, so you have some interesting decisions to make, like rushing the crystal or taking a roundabout route to try and finish powering up a weapon, or taking an extra hit of damage to get some extra weapon levels.

And the extra interesting part on top of that, is that you can lay out the weapon grid yourself before you start the game, so you can set up your own tactics. You can also see what layout people on the leaderboards are using.

There’s quite a few more details to it on top of this which I could go into, but that’s the basics!

Oh interesting. Michael Brough, the author of 868-Hack, makes some games with interesting mechanics. I'll have to check this out. 868 also released on Steam so if this does well enough maybe it will show up there.

Fake edit:

Lol. Google on Imbroglio:
"noun

an extremely confused, complicated, or embarrassing situation."

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Hactar posted:

Grabbed it this morning, based on your post! It's fun! Feels like a board game. Maybe specifically because the hand drawn graphics remind me of the copy of the Amazeing Labyrinth I had as a kid.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Yeah, it's a superb little game with some neat ideas. Every unit (player included) has dual health bars and emptying one kills the character. This means Cubes, with 4 health and 1 mana, die in one hit to every blue weapon but can take up to 4 hits from red weapons meaning you dance around the field naturally to eliminate threats. What is cool about this is that every monster type has a fixed area they spawn from so eventually you start laying out the board to account for that.

I unlocked all the characters but I'd love to hear more about it. Some of the cooler items are locked behind later characters -- the whetstone, red weapon that deals 1 damage and upon hitting max level goes to 0 damage, but increases damage of all other weapons in the row by 1, is one of my favorite.

The creator. Michael Brough, wrote up his design process and put it online. It's a fun read. Part 1, other two parts are on the blogspot.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Owned a smartphone for two years and Sproggiwood is the first game that I've found appealing.

End up uninstalling most phone games within ten minutes

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Jackard posted:

Owned a smartphone for two years and Sproggiwood is the first game that I've found appealing.

End up uninstalling most phone games within ten minutes

Go play Hoplite as well. It's great.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I feel like you guys would like Card Crawl too. It's a card game but has a lot of the similar qualities / game feel as other roguelikes. Been playing it a lot on my phone lately.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Vertigon posted:

The website fairies are telling me that Madjack has graciously given AutoFire a bump! I coulda sworn that I had an SA account from the early 2000's but a few bucks later and it's newbtown for me.

The 7DRL really got me into the idea of a sophisticated Autoduel homage combined with the thoughtful combat decisions of the original Car Wars, Roadwar 2000, and roguelikes in general. It's been eating up most of my spare time lately.

This week I've been working on the randomized overworld for moving between cities and outposts. I chose to meld the tile-based world with Unity terrain and detail elements. I do need to get in some highways in there, but here's an update:

Re: Vertigon's Car Wars/Roadwar 2000/Autoduel roguelike Autofire

http://www.patricklipo.com/randomprojects/autofire-a-roguelike-in-7-days/

Traditional games had a long derail that went into Food Trucks competing with one another to a) deliver awesome culinary food b) steal customers from each other c) resolve the bottom line with missiles and chainsaws.

The following may be inspirational or irrelevant. Cheers.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3565139&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=317

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, that's what I've used before now. The ones that unzip to expand out further basically fit the square size perfectly.

They basically make me think of this food delivery company here in London called Deliveroo.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The deliveryman lays on his back, his belly baking in the hot sun, beating his legs trying to turn himself over. But he can't. Not with out your help. But you're not helping.

Helical Nightmares posted:

The rise of specialized food trucks with truly radical ideas about cuisine has been a great thing.

There is a game in this somewhere.

Edit: Ninja Burger/Twisted Metal mash up.

Xelkelvos posted:

Area control with multiple restaurants/trucks under your employ. Each has a specific type of cuisine which affects payout and level of control in an area. Restaurants are fixed where they're built, but can pull in more money than the mobile trucks. Both can have up to two types of cuisines (i.e. Fusion) to try and maximize appeal or adapt to changing tastes.

SaviourX posted:

That food truck game sounds like something I am going to be into. Maybe make a design challenge here and over in BGG?

O/T: Canada has donair (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doner_kebab#Canada) in every mid to large city, which is a kind of greek/leb fusion of things. Along with shawarma; it rules.

Echophonic posted:

Maybe Food Chain Magnate will get a food truck expansion.

Why do I have this image of a food truck outside a Dungeon between the hours of 8-9 and 12-1.

And a lich and beholder socializing in a queue, with a neo-otough behind staring at a food run list.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

The Space Food Truck game seemed really promising, as it was basically just a standard deckbuilder in video game form. Unfortunately, the design is horrific and even more of a random crapshoot than even games like Legendary/Ascension.

Its also far too easy to wind up in a death spiral early on, as there are few to no ways to thin or remove bad cards from your deck, and its possible to lock yourself out of the ability to leave your current location and become unable to purchase cards that are dead filler, making your draws even worse. In response to the feedback, the designers saw people getting stuck with too many useless filler cards in their hand, and decided that obviously the useless filler was too attractive, and that must be why players kept buying them. So they made them even more detrimental in addition to clogging up your hand.

Tl;dr its a game made by people who copied the idea of a deckbuilder but have no ability to design a game.

Ominous Jazz posted:

Please kickstart my new game about Goblins running illegal food carts while being pursued by fine dining paladins I will make miniatures.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Hactar posted:

Picked this up, since I've enjoyed the creator's other stuff. Very interesting so far, but also a bit overwhelming; so many weapon types, so many options!

The art style is extremely charming.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
So kismet is a real force evidently.

On the day I posted about Recettear, I got the following email.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digitalsun/moonlighter

quote:

From Square Enix Collective.

Moonlighter is an action-RPG game with rogue-lite elements about Will, an adventurous shopkeeper that secretly dreams of becoming a hero. To earn the daily bread, he needs to venture into the dungeons near his town, defeat strange enemies and obtain loot to be sold at his shop.

The Collective community loved this pitch when it was in the Feedback phase, so now it's on Kickstarter, will you Help Make Something Awesome?

kickstarter posted:

We want the player to have a lot of fun exploring dungeons, defeating enemies and getting more powerful, but also to worry about questions like: How much money should I ask for this item? Should I keep or sell this artifact? Should I invest my money on more shop space or potions? Which weapon should I upgrade? How do I get enough money for that?

So looks like they are remaking Recettear. Sports a 'rogue-lite' dungeon. No idea if it will be any good.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Unormal posted:

Only ~45,000 completions of bringing Argyve his first knicknack. :getin:
Can you arrange your data to exclude games which blow up on the launch pad like that?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Unormal posted:

It records anonymous analytics vis gameanalytics.com (you can turn it off in options if you don't want me to spy on your permadeathing)

89 completions of "Earl of Omonporch"

I got one! :toot:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

PleasingFungus posted:

Picked this up, since I've enjoyed the creator's other stuff. Very interesting so far, but also a bit overwhelming; so many weapon types, so many options!

The art style is extremely charming.
If you tap the star icon you can look at high scores and steal those muthafuckin' boards for yourself (if you've unlocked all the associated weapons). It's pretty great way to kickstart the process of sculpting a board since you can take something you know works and now "why is my 4x malign wand 4x crossbow 4x confusion cloud 4x cursed blade strat not working".

Clubs deal 2 red damage after one level up which is solid. Rimeclaws offer a pretty consistent way to kill snakes in one hit. Vampiric Spear is amazing for keeping yourself topped off even if you have no way to curse enemies, and Shields give a great survivability boost while also dealing 2 damage after a few feeds. Those are all pretty good weapons to start off with. A blink dagger or a mystic whisk are both great options for corners to get you out of bad situations, and blink dagger is hard to level up, but has one of the most powerful survivability effects. I didn't understand the wording at first, but it gives you more options of where to teleport to as it levels up.

One of my favorite combos is Echo Harp + Whetstone, since Whetstone makes the harp deal 2 damage twice, meaning an instant kill for any target if there's only one monster on the board. There's also some truly ridiculous hijinks you can get up to with Witchpact blade since the effect can repeat multiple times in one turn, but I haven't figured out the Curse playstyle yet.

Anyway, hope this helps, and gently caress snakes forever.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I absolutely love it when games have books in them that actually have some writing to them, as finding lore in games is my favorite part.

As for my favorite book in Qud so far, it's the one called Aphorisms About Birds, wherein the anonymous author is terrified of them. "Some birds breathe fire. My meaning here is plain.", etc etc. It's great!

Is there a list of books in Qud somewhere yet? Do any other roguelikes have books like it? The closest I can think of off the top of my head is Dungeonmans' amusing book descriptions, but it's not quite finding a book that just has a short story in it or something funny/weird.

Love Aphorisms About Birds. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Qud is the only roguelike that has books that are approaching Elder Scrolls territory.

I always chuckle when I explore the Dungeonmans library and I come across a bunch of 'dumb roguelike ideas' or whatever the phrasing is. :allears:

What I really like about Qud's Across Moghra'yi, Vol. III: Oth, the Free City is there are a bunch of terms that as of yet are undefined in Qud. What are these combs? Are they like giant honeycombs cities are built in? What are 'esper-bandits', 'windweirds', and 'voidcanters'? Will we see them in Qud?

Will we eventually see ghost sap in the rust-caves?

Are books Hand of Luke's way to crack the whip at Unormal to add more content?

Speaking of here is another :black101: QUD :black101: book. I think this is an older one.

On the Origins and Nature of the Dark Calculus

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 4, 2016

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Love Aphorisms About Birds. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Qud is the only roguelike that has books that are approaching Elder Scrolls territory.

I always chuckle when I explore the Dungeonmans library and I come across a bunch of 'dumb roguelike ideas' or whatever the phrasing is. :allears:

What I really like about Qud's Across Moghra'yi, Vol. III: Oth, the Free City is there are a bunch of terms that as of yet are undefined in Qud. What are these combs? Are they like giant honeycombs cities are built in? What are 'esper-bandits', 'windweirds', and 'void '

Will we eventually see ghost sap in the rust-caves?

Speaking of here is another :black101: QUD :black101: book. I think this is an older one.

On the Origins and Nature of the Dark Calculus

Oh man I love the Math Book and have pondered doing something with related concepts if Unormal ever releases a mod-friendly iteration. :haw:

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
I believe the current version is mod friendly.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's actually pretty moddable but it's not documented anywhere yet. Any of the xml files in streamingassets/base can be modded by putting files of the same name with the new entries in %savepath%/mods/%modname%

and you can add new tiles with images of the right name in the textures subdirectory of your mod. I'll document it in a wiki somewhere someday.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Just a sec, makin a nude molerat with tits sprite...

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Unormal posted:

Yeah it's actually pretty moddable but it's not documented anywhere yet. Any of the xml files in streamingassets/base can be modded by putting files of the same name with the new entries in %savepath%/mods/%modname%

and you can add new tiles with images of the right name in the textures subdirectory of your mod. I'll document it in a wiki somewhere someday.

:saddowns:

Huh, okay. Very cool.

Maybe I'll poke at figuring out how maps / spawn population pools / quests!? work.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 4, 2016

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:saddowns:

Huh, okay. Very cool.

Maybe I'll poke at figuring out how maps / spawn population pools / quests!? work.

One protip for mucking around is to bind the wish command and use the wish "reload" which will hotload the configuration files. That won't change existing items that have already been spawned based on precious blueprints, only newly fabricated ones, but it still is a heck of a lot smoother than restarting the game every time.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Unormal posted:

It records anonymous analytics vis gameanalytics.com
What... what is this? I should be using this. Dungeonmans just straight emails me.

Vertigon
May 22, 2016

Subtlety is overrated.

Re: Vertigon's Car Wars/Roadwar 2000/Autoduel roguelike Autofire

http://www.patricklipo.com/randomprojects/autofire-a-roguelike-in-7-days/

Traditional games had a long derail that went into Food Trucks competing with one another to a) deliver awesome culinary food b) steal customers from each other c) resolve the bottom line with missiles and chainsaws.
The following may be inspirational or irrelevant. Cheers.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3565139&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=317

This is an amazing treasure trove, my friend, I will dive in. Sláinte.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe

madjackmcmad posted:

What... what is this? I should be using this. Dungeonmans just straight emails me.

:stare:

Yeah, there's lots of good analytics tools (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-analytics-vs-google-analytics-vs-gameanalytics-vs-other-solutions.299460/ etc..). Gameanalytics isn't super amazing or anything but it's free and it has a dead simple HTTP interface to integrate.

Unormal fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 4, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Started brainstorming joke spells (literally) for a stand up comedian roguelike, send help

quote:

Pun: Strikes an opponent with a devastating play on words, but not very effective if they hear it coming.

Observation: Flexible and can be used in any situation, but fails more often than other jokes.

Self-depreciation: Injure your reputation for a joke that always succeeds. Becomes less powerful with repeated use.

Story: A joke with a long setup that delivers a powerful punchline. Can be interrupted by heckling.

Dark Comedy: A forbidden art. Lobs a joke that explodes into morbid humor on impact. Can cause harm to your reputation if you are too close when used.

Riposte: Returns incoming heckling back to the sender. Not as effective against opponents with less inhibitions.

Non-Sequitur: Attempt to confuse your opponents with nonsense, dealing minimal humor.

Reference: An unoriginal joke that is strong, but makes you more vulnerable to heckling.

Offensive Quip: A forbidden art. Make an offensive statement to instantly eliminate an opponent, at the cost of permanently lowering your reputation.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Make dark comedy have an invisible cooldown and have it backfire if you try casting it early, displaying the message "Too soon".

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Floodkiller posted:

Started brainstorming joke spells (literally) for a stand up comedian roguelike, send help

This might work well as a subsystem of the Seinfeld Rogue-like.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Self-deprecation should just hinge directly on your reputation for power, which will make it self-limiting.

Maybe some kind of Personal Attack, which requires knowledge of your target? Like when they make jokes about tax dodging to Jimmy Carr.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Make dark comedy have an invisible cooldown and have it backfire if you try casting it early, displaying the message "Too soon" "Aflack gets a new voice for the duck".

Fixed

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

that hieroglyphic roguelike with no words is 50% off this week http://store.steampowered.com/app/434880/?snr=1_7_7_weeklongdeals_150_2

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Would you like to see a list of jokes told y/n

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Jokes should be generated using gearheads chat system

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
i may be wangatta, but im always not thinking about tv

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Are you the dude I've been trying to bind? Your basement is hosed.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Isaac posted:

Would you like to see a list of jokes told y/n

Would you like your jokes explained? (y/n)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Floodkiller posted:

Steal: You like to 'appropriate' high quality material from other comics, but you may be randomly jumped by 1-3 comedians.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Ranks include: Office Quipster at the bottom, moving upward through Open Mic Night Guy, all the way to Headliner, but with possible dead ends as Open Mic Night Emcee or Television Series Joke Writer.