Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Tonnon v Halek at Metamoris (serious post)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGFU43epufA/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Kekekela posted:

Tonnon v Halek at Metamoris (serious post)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BGFU43epufA/

This is of course contingent on Metamoris 7 actually occurring.

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
As long as Metamoris has secured Tonon and can provide a heel for him to hook, Ralek's or otherwise, I will tune in.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I wonder if Garry has signed any paperwork yet

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
I think Garry is trying to tell us he would heel hook Ralek for free

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Same

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
At least we know 1 guy who competes at Metamoris 7 is going to get paid

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Mr. Pool posted:

this is the only thing that makes sense

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Mr. Pool posted:

it is better to give than to receive.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Is there a free way to watch IBJJF World's this week? I only want/will be able to watch a few matches so don't really want to pay.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Mr. Pool posted:

He's definitely on for the match.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

wait wait wait

So the G in a gi is facing the G(arry) with no gi?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CommonShore posted:

wait wait wait

So the G in a gi is facing the G(arry) with no gi?

One day, all grapplers will work for free.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

Yuns posted:

He's definitely on for the match.

I'm definitely ready to see some leglocky :munch:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just started taking classes at Ralph Gracie in Berkeley a few weeks ago. Been interested in BJJ for years as a result of various podcasters and such but what I think finally did it was my spirit animal Anthony Bourdain's recent Bay Area episode where he trained with Kurt Osiander in SF. Turns out I actually can train there too, as a result of my membership.

Been lifting 3x a week for about 1.5 years in my garage and do random outdoors stuff a lot so I'm in ok shape but good god, the warmups are intense. The other day it was like 5 sets of 20 different plyometric leg exercises after I had done squats that morning, I almost barfed.

I read the OP on this thread, which is great. I've been looking for some study material to learn the fundamentals due to being totally clueless. A brown belt I was rolling with the other day pointed out another good approach which would be to learn what not to do, as a supplement to learning what to do.

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a DVD series or whatever that would be useful. Also, books/etc.

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

soy posted:

Just started taking classes at Ralph Gracie in Berkeley a few weeks ago. Been interested in BJJ for years as a result of various podcasters and such but what I think finally did it was my spirit animal Anthony Bourdain's recent Bay Area episode where he trained with Kurt Osiander in SF. Turns out I actually can train there too, as a result of my membership.

Been lifting 3x a week for about 1.5 years in my garage and do random outdoors stuff a lot so I'm in ok shape but good god, the warmups are intense. The other day it was like 5 sets of 20 different plyometric leg exercises after I had done squats that morning, I almost barfed.

I read the OP on this thread, which is great. I've been looking for some study material to learn the fundamentals due to being totally clueless. A brown belt I was rolling with the other day pointed out another good approach which would be to learn what not to do, as a supplement to learning what to do.

Wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a DVD series or whatever that would be useful. Also, books/etc.

I personally don't think books are super useful for learning bjj concepts and DVDs cost money, so I recommend looking at Stephen Kesting's tutorials on youtube, he has a whole bunch geared towards new white belts.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Found some random white belt dummies playlist on youtube with some of his stuff, drat, the amount of info out there is staggering and awesome.

Going to be in LA next week on business and planning to drop in a 10th planet for a few classes while I'm there. :getin:

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

soy posted:

Going to be in LA next week on business and planning to drop in a 10th planet for a few classes while I'm there. :getin:

While you could do that, Jean Jacques Machado is in LA, as well as Xande Ribiero

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
if you're brand new and just starting out I don't think you're going to get any benefit from visiting other gyms

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

origami posted:

if you're brand new and just starting out I don't think you're going to get any benefit from visiting other gyms

Some post the creonte patch

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

origami posted:

Sure but if they are already in the area why not get more time in? :)

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

origami posted:

i think it would be virtually impossible to not at least get something out of visiting a gym if you're new

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Not only do I think it would be a waste for him I think it would be a waste of time for the gym too - but it looks like everybody disagrees with me so :shobon:

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

origami posted:

Not only do I think it would be a waste for him I think it would be a waste of time for the gym too - but it looks like everybody disagrees with me so :shobon:

I mean you realize that most gyms teach a fundamentals class right? So...Yeah.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Don't try to run before you can crawl. Just go to the same class with instructors who know you and can tailor instruction to your individual progress.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Speaking of videos, dvd's, yadda yadda yadda, is there a place that shows some good drills to practice when alone?

I'd like to add some basic drills into my warm-up before I workout, but would prefer to do more than just shrimp around.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Alfalfa posted:

Speaking of videos, dvd's, yadda yadda yadda, is there a place that shows some good drills to practice when alone?

I'd like to add some basic drills into my warm-up before I workout, but would prefer to do more than just shrimp around.

I've pulled a few things from this Jason Scully video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXjP50SOwK4

IT BEGINS
Jan 15, 2009

I don't know how to make analogies

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Don't try to run before you can crawl. Just go to the same class with instructors who know you and can tailor instruction to your individual progress.

Is visiting a class while you happen to be traveling really 'running'? I figure mat time is mat time, even if it's not as good as your home gym.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

IT BEGINS posted:

Is visiting a class while you happen to be traveling really 'running'? I figure mat time is mat time, even if it's not as good as your home gym.

It's also kind of annoying to go inflict your spazzy newb rear end on strangers

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
As a white belt, you're primarily going to be going to fundamentals classes and doing basic drills. Since that's going to be more or less the same at every school (and to the extent that it's not the same, the differences are largely going to go over your head) there's no point in travelling specifically to visit other gyms. But if you happen to be travelling anyway, there's nothing wrong with dropping in at a local gym to get some classes in. Mat time is mat time is mat time.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

fatherdog posted:

As a white belt, you're primarily going to be going to fundamentals classes and doing basic drills. Since that's going to be more or less the same at every school (and to the extent that it's not the same, the differences are largely going to go over your head) there's no point in travelling specifically to visit other gyms. But if you happen to be travelling anyway, there's nothing wrong with dropping in at a local gym to get some classes in. Mat time is mat time is mat time.

That is kind of what I thought when I was traveling. I just looked up BJJ gyms in the areas I were going to be staying at and found some with decent reviews that would let me drop in.

It didn't matter if it was a top school, I was going to be learning the basics and really just wanted some mat time. Not like I remember the exact specifics of those classes anyways.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

He's travelling and wants to get some mat time while he's away, he's perfectly fine.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I don't think people mind newbie visitors so long as they are safe when training, don't get in over their heads and are courteous.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 3, 2016

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I think y'all are forgetting how lovely and spazzy you were when you first started. For the first few months he should stick with the curriculum at his gym since they'll have a better idea of how he sucks. With that said - it's just rolling and nothing bad will happen if he does a dropin. It'll most likely just be a waste of time for everyone.

I seriously think folks have forgotten how terrible brand new people are.

Also...

Mechafunkzilla posted:

It's also kind of annoying to go inflict your spazzy newb rear end on strangers

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
my primary takeaway through five classes as a white belt has been having Nic Gregoriades making fun of my fat goon body. jiu jitsu owns, I should have started years ago.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

origami posted:

I think y'all are forgetting how lovely and spazzy you were when you first started. For the first few months he should stick with the curriculum at his gym since they'll have a better idea of how he sucks. With that said - it's just rolling and nothing bad will happen if he does a dropin. It'll most likely just be a waste of time for everyone.

I seriously think folks have forgotten how terrible brand new people are.

Also...

He can take a fundamentals class, nobody is gonna let him roll when it's open mat anyways.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

He can take a fundamentals class, nobody is gonna let him roll when it's open mat anyways.

I mean, there are definitely some schools that would, but anyone who's a regular at those schools is going to be well used to dealing with spazzy white belts on open mats

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've done open mat at the end of every class since my first. Fear my white belt spaz moves.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
I'm over a month into jiu-jitsu classes and pretty hooked.

All the people I've encountered have been top notch. Blue belts being insistant I drill slowly and precisely even talking me through a slow motion triangle while their face is turning red.

One minor annoyance is getting stuck with a girl partner for the class. Usually 2-4 girls show up but they never pair up, they always grab a dude right away. I guess they don't want to get paired up with a girl either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

kickascii posted:

One minor annoyance is getting stuck with a girl partner for the class.

Why?