Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

GazChap posted:

Why are they storing user data in Program Files and not the cunningly named UserData folder, like pretty much everything else does these days?

People don't know how to delete files from there I guess :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

peter gabriel posted:

Peggy sue peggy sue oh my darling i love you
Oh peggy my peggy sue
I am going to sue, oh sue sue sue oh Peggy I am going to sue you ooh ooh oh
I hate you all and I'm going to loving sue ooh ooh uh ooh ohh

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

GazChap posted:

Why are they storing user data in Program Files and not the cunningly named UserData folder, like pretty much everything else does these days?
Because they understand games development.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
10 for the Developers: Episode 08
May 2, 2016

This is Forrest Stephan, Developer's entire contribution to the first 15 minutes of this episode:

Forrest Stephan:
Yeah.
Yeah.
Aw it's INCREDIBLE
Yeah.
Yeah yeah and down...
Yeah.
DESERT OR SUMTHING

...and how deep do you go with the design do you have it were when you go to that location it's always raining or do you do it were there's actually some kinda weather happened I mean so I think there's a lot of, uh, things to solve with uh, with the weather

No absolutely I've seen it's awesome
Yeah.
Yeah.
Yeah.
JAH-NA-RAYSHUN

Yeah be cool the artist's still making the assets so the fidelity will be there right it's just a matter of this procedural tech deciding where to populate the uhm PLANTS and the ANIMALS right, I don't see any reason that we can't have the same visual fidelity that we have in the rest of the game

Yeah.
Yeah.
Yeah.
It's just...
I think so...

just have to be smart about how you author your art and as long as you go for you know a very technical practical approach and optimised approach I think uh uh it's really quite...

Yeah.
Yeah.
Yeah.
Yeah.
Yeah. Well you know, s'just a matter of MAKE EVERYTHING AS MODULAR AS POSSIBLE th-then you know who knows what you can do right
Uhm with the right gameplay code

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

SomethingJones posted:

She's a backer and a hopeful fan.

I've grown to respect her - she does her best to get answers from Ben regarding ships that people have paid for, and those questions are coming from backers. She's actually the ONLY person taking ship questions directly from backers and putting them in front of the employee that, according to CIG, is the man in charge of the ships. Jared doesn't even bother asking Ben anything other than meaningless drivel any more.

She has done more to expose Ben as a loving clueless idiot than anyone else (apart from Ben himself). Also the backers who are sending her these questions (this is a recent thing) are I believe in for substantial $$$

It's very difficult for me to accept that anyone can sit down, take ten minutes, look at Ben's answers to Batgirl's questions, and seriously think about sending any more money in CIG's direction.

I think those are good points but at this stage it's obvious that what little they can deliver is going to be terrible. If she really cared about the whales in her organisation more than her "friends" at CIG (I believe she's well aware of what's going on) she'd just stop doing the videos. If she tried more difficult questions :lesnick: would just find himself "busy" elsewhere and it wouldn't achieve anything, the most visible thing she could do to wake the backers up is just say she's not going to do it anymore and will reconsider if CIG put anything out worth playing.

There's no real doubt about it failing anymore, the only thing CIG could do to keep doubt alive is close two studios, say they are changing game engines and push release back to 2020.

AP fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jun 3, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

GazChap posted:

Because it was ok¹ the last time Chris made a game, in the Win98–XP days and no sane or sensible user works with a restricted profile do they? Only silly *nix users and server managers do that, right?

It's not as if an entire Windows generation caused years of complications because incompetent fucktard developers failed to adjust for this some 10 years ago, but eventually learned that they had to do it or they would no longer be allowed on the platform…

If it weren't so desperately sad, it would be kind of funny how every last idiotic idea in this attempted project can be traced back to software techniques and design paradigms that were slowly growing obsolete in the mid-to-late '90s. It's almost as if the project lead being out of the industry for a decade and a half, and still demanding full control of every aspect of a project, has some hideous consequences for the quality of product.

¹ “ok” meaning it was idiotic and the mark of unintelligent, shortsighted, and amateurish programming, but at least the OS wouldn't complain about it.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 3, 2016

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

SomethingJones posted:

Bensday with Batgirl and Ben Episode 54
Jun 2, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-mC29J1NiE&t=1377s

@22:57

Q:
So the 890 JUMP is still going to be available when the game goes live, right? Is it still something that your're going to hold in limited numbers and have you jump through hoops to get?

Ben Lesnick, Developer:
Yeah it ah, it ah... it is limited numbers in the world also it'll be prohibitively expensive, it's STUPID... it's STUPID... SUPER luxury yacht, ahm... there's a freudian slip... and it's a super luxury yacht, they produce them in limited numbers...
I'd love to see Ben jump thorough hoops on fire.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Ben wrote his masters on game development. He doesn't remember what it was called... Videogame Development something...

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

AP posted:

I think those are good points but at this stage it's obvious that what little they can deliver is going to be terrible. If she really cared about the whales in her organisation more than her "friends" at CIG (I believe she's well aware of what's going on) she'd just stop doing the videos. If she tried more difficult questions :lesnick: would just stop appearing and it wouldn't achieve anything, the most visible thing she could do to wake the backers up is just say she's not going to do it anymore and will reconsider if CIG put anything out worth playing.

I think she's aware of what's going on too. This is were the YouTube 'thing' comes in, as she is building a YouTube channel. I think a lot of backers are stuck like this, they know they'll get subscribers and plays and generate comments with SC, but frankly Pgabz got more hits in 2 hours with his latest video than Batgirl got in 24 hours with this latest video.

She's started putting videos up of Dovetail's Flight School, which is still in beta, built on the FSX engine. Perhaps a sign that the old SC stuff isn't doing so well?

At some point she'll have to realise that nobody wants to listen to Ben, he doesn't have a clue, and no one really wants to sit through that poo poo even when CIG do it. When CIG do it on Twitch it's providing background noise for a chat room, where everyone can shill imaginary spaceships and push their referral codes - happened to me every single time I've been in one of those chats.

So what will she do? Keep the Ben thing going to try and grow a YouTube audience? Ditch the Ben thing and grow an audience with an actual game?

If she really genuinely had any respect for the backers she'd either nail some hard questions on Ben or stop doing it altogether, and to be quite honest I think she'd be a better YouTuber without all the SC baggage.

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Decrepus posted:

Ben wrote his masters on game development. He doesn't remember what it was called... Videogame Development something...

"International Videogame Development" by Ben Lesnick

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Risc1911 posted:

One of the biggest German StarCitizen Fansites and Radio goes offline.

Source: German (translation below)

Greetings Star Citizens.

As you've probably noticed the amount of updates by Star Citizen News Radio has dropped significantly. The reason for this, among other things, is that Mera and I have increasingly lost interest in Star Citizen. We are both Golden Ticket Owners and have been with SC from the very beginning. Unfortunately it became increasingly clear that at SC promises of CIG and the reality are very far apart. Of course, we know that there currently is an Alpha but we also see that SC has big problems at every nook and cranny, and it is very difficult to eliminate those. As we know, this is not only our opinion, but also many other Backers of the first hour think this way. Also, the constantly increasing commercialization displeases us both CIG (permanent concept sales) and in the SC "Fan Area", and the behaviour of individuals from the community toward people such as AngryBot (threats against him and his family). This can not be tolerated. People, SC is just a game. No more and no less.

A fan page like Star Citizen News Radio requires a very high time and effort to keep constantly updated (Search News, translations) but we are currently not ready to make this commitment for Star Citizen. Of course we are also aware that with the end of SCNR the (probably) only and really critical and independent from clans, organizations and CIG, German speaking SC Fan page will go offline and therefore we have long hesitated to take this step. We have invested much time and money in this project and therefore it is really not easy to announce the end of SCNR.

We now want to thank all the SCNR SC fans that helped to build one of the largest German fan sites. Of course we want to thank those who have supported us over the past three years with news, translations, their knowledge and commitment to us. We deliberately refrain from naming them all individually, because it would be very sad if one of them would fall through the cracks, and this could happen too easily with the large number of them.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO ALL OF YOU!

Fly save!

By the way. This news does not seem to have made it to the General forum at CIG so far that I can see. Just a site run by 2 crazy guys eh?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

SomethingJones posted:

I think she's aware of what's going on too. This is were the YouTube 'thing' comes in, as she is building a YouTube channel. I think a lot of backers are stuck like this, they know they'll get subscribers and plays and generate comments with SC, but frankly Pgabz got more hits in 2 hours with his latest video than Batgirl got in 24 hours with this latest video.

She's started putting videos up of Dovetail's Flight School, which is still in beta, built on the FSX engine. Perhaps a sign that the old SC stuff isn't doing so well?

At some point she'll have to realise that nobody wants to listen to Ben, he doesn't have a clue, and no one really wants to sit through that poo poo even when CIG do it. When CIG do it on Twitch it's providing background noise for a chat room, where everyone can shill imaginary spaceships and push their referral codes - happened to me every single time I've been in one of those chats.

So what will she do? Keep the Ben thing going to try and grow a YouTube audience? Ditch the Ben thing and grow an audience with an actual game?

If she really genuinely had any respect for the backers she'd either nail some hard questions on Ben or stop doing it altogether, and to be quite honest I think she'd be a better YouTuber without all the SC baggage.

Will this post fit in a YouTube comment?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Do you think Ben gets jealous every time someone rolls their eyes at his answers to their questions during these videos?

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
drat it I got completely sidetracked by that Shmorky thread and now there's 1200 posts in this one that I don't have time to read, I'm gonna guess that I didn't miss much though.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Semisponge posted:

drat it I got completely sidetracked by that Shmorky thread and now there's 1200 posts in this one that I don't have time to read, I'm gonna guess that I didn't miss much though.

where's the shmorky thread?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
ABLE TO USE CONSTELLATION PILOT SEAT WHILE IT'S OCCUPIED

quote:

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

1. Approach the Constellation pilot seat while another player is seated in it, actively flying the ship.
2. Attempted to position yourself as close to the pilot seat as possible while looking for the 'use/interact' prompt to appear over the pilot seat.
3. Keep re-positioning yourself until you can get the 'use/interact' prompt to appear over the pilot seat.
4. Press the 'use/interact' key to attempt to sit down in the pilot seat while the other player is still seated in the pilot seat.

ACTUAL RESULT
The Constellation instantly explodes, killing the current pilot in the seat, and leaving you stranded in space.

EXPECTED RESULT
It should not be possible to sit down in the pilot seat while it's occupied by another player.

Peter, I have a mission for you.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rB-vGOyiiKg

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Risc1911 posted:

One of the biggest German StarCitizen Fansites and Radio goes offline.

Source: German (translation below)

Greetings Star Citizens.

As you've probably noticed the amount of updates by Star Citizen News Radio has dropped significantly. The reason for this, among other things, is that Mera and I have increasingly lost interest in Star Citizen. We are both Golden Ticket Owners and have been with SC from the very beginning. Unfortunately it became increasingly clear that at SC promises of CIG and the reality are very far apart. Of course, we know that there currently is an Alpha but we also see that SC has big problems at every nook and cranny, and it is very difficult to eliminate those. As we know, this is not only our opinion, but also many other Backers of the first hour think this way. Also, the constantly increasing commercialization displeases us both CIG (permanent concept sales) and in the SC "Fan Area", and the behaviour of individuals from the community toward people such as AngryBot (threats against him and his family). This can not be tolerated. People, SC is just a game. No more and no less.

A fan page like Star Citizen News Radio requires a very high time and effort to keep constantly updated (Search News, translations) but we are currently not ready to make this commitment for Star Citizen. Of course we are also aware that with the end of SCNR the (probably) only and really critical and independent from clans, organizations and CIG, German speaking SC Fan page will go offline and therefore we have long hesitated to take this step. We have invested much time and money in this project and therefore it is really not easy to announce the end of SCNR.

We now want to thank all the SCNR SC fans that helped to build one of the largest German fan sites. Of course we want to thank those who have supported us over the past three years with news, translations, their knowledge and commitment to us. We deliberately refrain from naming them all individually, because it would be very sad if one of them would fall through the cracks, and this could happen too easily with the large number of them.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO ALL OF YOU!

Fly save!

They are not the German "INN" and the title makes it sound like a business has shut down. It was a fan run info site, sucks that they are quitters, but what ever. Posting this here is just more DS cronies trying to stir the poo poo. Check OP's history...

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Ben Lesnick is the Director of Community Engagement, Online Strategy, and Starships and therefore is the authority on starships especially when engaging with the community online.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

He does something similar at the end of his newest video.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

SomethingJones posted:

if she really wanted to get hits and build an audience she would have DS every week right after ben. a one sided conversation with fud isnt a conversation. i respect her greatly but it becoming very apparent how this is going, why not jump both sides and play it out?
and if cig back out roast their rear end every time. ya it will bad for a few weeks but what will it be like when she gets accused of aiding and abetting.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Do a debate between DS and Ben. Don't tell Ben.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

G0RF posted:

The Facepunch Star Citizen Thread fights back emergent lucidity

It's an interesting last few pages. Worth reading, given the eruptions we're seeing in several watering SC holes...

Oh hi

No doubt now I've posted in this thread, one of them will pick up on this and claim it as proof that I'm a Derek alt or something.

It's really crackers how obsessed they are with Derek. He is the literal Star Citizen bogeyman.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

lazorexplosion posted:

SomethingJones is a national treasure.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hezzy posted:

It's really crackers how obsessed they are with Derek. He is the literal Star Citizen bogeyman.

It's because Chris made him the Great Satan in his response to the Escapist. I don't know if it's intentional or not, but by vilifying Smart in response to an article that doesn't even mention him Chris made it so that backers can justify blaming DS for everything. I've had countless backers bring him up as if merely linking me to DS invalidates any argument I have.

Because in their minds it does.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It's because Chris made him the Great Satan in his response to the Escapist. I don't know if it's intentional or not, but by vilifying Smart in response to an article that doesn't even mention him Chris made it so that backers can justify blaming DS for everything. I've had countless backers bring him up as if merely linking me to DS invalidates any argument I have.

Because in their minds it does.

One of them was posting on the Discord about how you were playing Stellaris and they were saying to come in and wreck of your game.

Elix also expressed frustration at the fact that it is illegal to send me death threats. They're dumb kids with too much money. I calculated how much he had put into it and IIRC it was nearly 2k.

Funny you should mention about linking any criticism with DS, that was the main argument for the first two or three pages.

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

SomethingJones posted:

Q:
Is that a far aways out, like after Citizencon or or might we see that before?

Ben Lesnick, Developer:
I don't think you'll see it before Citizencon but we'll probably be working on around then

Q:
Cool! And big things happening in between Gamescon and Citizencon?

Ben Lesnick, Developer:
I'll be in EUROPE for two weeks, so... hopefully not... ah...
But! We ah, we have DRAGONCON all set up! Ahm, you're gonna have a COOL (mumble) room, CIG there, ah...

Q:
Sandi?

Ben Lesnick, Developer:
Sandi will be there... Sandi... not Justin, Tyler and uh... Pete Mackie

So wait going to E3 is a waste of time but having a setup for Dragoncon is totally cool?

(Also he'll be in Europe for TWO WEEKS)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Hezzy posted:

One of them was posting on the Discord about how you were playing Stellaris and they were saying to come in and wreck of your game.

Elix also expressed frustration at the fact that it is illegal to send me death threats. They're dumb kids with too much money. I calculated how much he had put into it and IIRC it was nearly 2k.

Funny you should mention about linking any criticism with DS, that was the main argument for the first two or three pages.

LOL. Wreck my game? Maybe that explains the idiot kid who was making GBS threads up our voice channel a few weeks ago. I feel grief.

As a rule whenever a backer brings up DS as an insult to me I just declare victory and move on.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Tippis posted:

I think I got at least 7 different bingos at once from that. :stare:

:lol::lol::lol:

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
What's so bad about not using the hidden user folder?

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Hezzy posted:

Oh hi

No doubt now I've posted in this thread, one of them will pick up on this and claim it as proof that I'm a Derek alt or something.

Yes. It's very bizarre.

There are reasonable people there, yet they seem more than happy to serve as prisoner and jailer in a psychological prison.

Note to Facepunchers: You've built a jail cell out of fallacies and false dichotomies. If you like being your own jailer more than you long for freedom, well, keep clinging to them. If you'd rather walk away, put them aside and stroll right out.

You deserve better, guys. Honestly.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ShredsYouSay posted:

What's so bad about not using the hidden user folder?

Nothing at all, if you're on Windows 3.0 or Commodore 64 or some similar single-user system from the '80s.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

"He looks like some kind of demented teletubbie".

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
Ben Lesnick, Developer, on the 890 JUMP:

"...it'll be prohibitively expensive, it's STUPID... it's STUPID... SUPER luxury yacht, ahm... there's a freudian slip... and it's a super luxury yacht, they produce them in limited numbers..."

- from Bensday with Batgirl and Ben Episode 54 @ 22:57
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-mC29J1NiE

Sandi Gardiner, Vice President of Marketing since she was a little girl, on the 890 JUMP

"Oh… gosh… I like a lot of them. I’m gonna go with the 890 JUMP. That’s not the one I would fly by myself… but just the whole concept of it… It’s like just, you know, hangin’ out with friends on a space yacht."

- from Meet the Devs: Sandi Gardiner Sep 1, 2015 @ 9:19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEdWwDPK9oY

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

intardnation posted:

if she really wanted to get hits and build an audience she would have DS every week right after ben. a one sided conversation with fud isnt a conversation. i respect her greatly but it becoming very apparent how this is going, why not jump both sides and play it out?
and if cig back out roast their rear end every time. ya it will bad for a few weeks but what will it be like when she gets accused of aiding and abetting.

That's a very good point and I hope she reads it as well. Twice.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Dante80 posted:

They are not the German "INN" and the title makes it sound like a business has shut down. It was a fan run info site, sucks that they are quitters, but what ever. Posting this here is just more DS cronies trying to stir the poo poo. Check OP's history...

Are you taking the piss ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Oh and since this is the thread for crowdfunding suckers:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/udoo/udoo-x86-the-most-powerful-maker-board-ever/?src=ws1

Looks pretty cool. Udoo are pretty well regarded and have decent community support, so I think this one won't get star marinated. I haven't read up on what it's actually capable of, but it sure sounds like it could manage to do on-the-fly transcoding

So what are these? They look like the computer versions of those trailers tiny houses that people build.

Sum Mors fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jun 3, 2016

• Locked thread