Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The answer to "I am bored 8 hours a day" is EVE Online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sepist posted:

Side note, does anyone know of an easy to configure monitoring tool that does sound alarms on poo poo like high disk space or a process not running? These guys are trying to reinvent the wheel asking me to build a custom monitoring "command center" from the ground up when I think the simple solution is a nagios plugin.

Zenoss

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Custom built mess of Powershell scripts that are set to run on a schedule.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Methanar posted:

My boss, the IT projects manager, is not privileged to having any admin credentials to the network. Those belong to the incumbent. When I asked WTF it was hushed down and I got the sense that I shouldn't ask about it again. That pilot project with the thin clients isn't actually my project but just one of the dozen things sitting in limbo with the incumbent that has been around for 15 years that I offered to help with. Going to my boss and antagonizing a situation where I'm obviously unwelcome where he probably doesn't have the authority to act on it anyway seems like a bad idea.
I've just been idle this whole week because I had finished the first steps of my own assigned project to get this place off of icewarp and onto Office 365. To take it further than what I've got is big endeavor and needs to be properly discussed, the meeting where I will lay out what needs to be done and what the costs, risks, and benefits and some perceptions of mine (this place is not even remotely close to being mature enough to properly handle ADFS) isn't until Monday.

I was just really disappointed/shocked at how hostile offers of help had been received

Then you're working in a lovely, toxic place that you'll learn nothing and go nowhere at.

If you can't have an honest, direct discussion with your boss about changing processes then you should either 1) get the gently caress out of there, or 2) just collect a paycheck and do some consulting remotely while you're at work.

because you're hosed.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

go3 posted:

Encouraging suicide seems a tad extreme.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

go3 posted:

Why settle for boring, every day spreadsheets when you can have multiplayer spreadsheets?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Thanks Ants posted:

Zabbix is on my list of things to look at that aren't Nagios but I have little experience with using/configuring it.

Wait, you can configure audible alarms in Zabbix?! Can someone tell me how please?

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

This, except use PS Remoting or WMI so it's centralized to one server with a bunch of XML config files for each thing you want to monitor.

System Center Operations Manager
IBM Director

Wait, yeah, write your own if all you want to do is monitor disk space and services.

vRealize w/ VmWare is pretty nice for general troubleshooting but not alerting.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Powershell has audible alarms!

code:

Add-Type -AssemblyName System.Speech
$Talk = New-Object -TypeName System.Speech.Synthesis.SpeechSynthesizer
$Talk.Speak('Critical Error. This is affecting production')

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

code:

:aaaaa:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

code:

I need to get PS remoting set up at my office. Between this and the PS Clippy thing...

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

go3 posted:

EVE Online: Turning 8 hours of boredom into 12 hours of boredom.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

code:

:awesome:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Now I just need to figure out how to change language and automated tech support is go.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Not really the same thing, but I know a few of my friends haven't filed homestead exemptions on their houses for property tax.

In CA the homeowner exemption is about $70 in tax savings. Compared to MN it can be up to a 40% reduction in property taxes. In some states there is no tax savings so they could just be used to how it is where they are from originally.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Inspector_666 posted:

Encouraging suicide seems a tad extreme.

He's not saying he should move to Benghazi to do so.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

LochNessMonster posted:

Too soon.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

LochNessMonster posted:

Dude.

:wtc:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

LochNessMonster posted:

I've maintained that Vile Rat would probably want people to make fun of him even in dying, but that's just nonsensical.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

psydude posted:

Why settle for boring, every day spreadsheets when you can have multiplayer spreadsheets?

I started playing EVE as a hobby so I could stop constantly thinking about work and the endless stream of side projects I get tasked with, like making a custom web app to replace some stupid bulky spreadsheet.

Fast-forward 2 years and I was once again making a custom web app to replace a stupid bulky spreadsheet... for EVE.

EVE IS REAL :ccp:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

code:
You can also add $Talk.Volume = 50 or something, which is helpful if you're trying to run this on someone else's computer in order to drive them insane.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

code:

This is the best thing in the world. Scheduled tasks for everybody!

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I haven't posted in or followed in this thread since my days when I was first getting my career in IT started but I remember you lot seeming like a pretty smart group.

For a variety of reasons I am currently looking at moving on from my current position on the network team for a software vendor. I've actually had a surprisingly difficult time finding something new within my skillset given that I'm in a fairly major metropolitan area (Portland, OR) but I finally have a good solid bite from a small ISP.
At least thus far they don't seem to mind too terribly that my experience is alnost entirely with interior routing protocols- specifically EIGRP- instead of the BGP they almost certainly use.
As I've been doing my research on the company I've been realizing more and more that I really don't know what the warning signs are with these smaller companies. It looks to me like they resell a lot of services for other providers in the area and looking at their office on Google maps they really are quite small, but from speaking with one of their managers for a phone interview it does sound for sure like they have their own physical infrastructure so if does seem like they are the real deal.

From everything I can see these guys look like a good fit for me right now but I really want to go into this with my eyes open. Any advice?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Come hang out in #oregoons on synirc.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Pendent posted:

I haven't posted in or followed in this thread since my days when I was first getting my career in IT started but I remember you lot seeming like a pretty smart group.

For a variety of reasons I am currently looking at moving on from my current position on the network team for a software vendor. I've actually had a surprisingly difficult time finding something new within my skillset given that I'm in a fairly major metropolitan area (Portland, OR) but I finally have a good solid bite from a small ISP.
At least thus far they don't seem to mind too terribly that my experience is alnost entirely with interior routing protocols- specifically EIGRP- instead of the BGP they almost certainly use.
As I've been doing my research on the company I've been realizing more and more that I really don't know what the warning signs are with these smaller companies. It looks to me like they resell a lot of services for other providers in the area and looking at their office on Google maps they really are quite small, but from speaking with one of their managers for a phone interview it does sound for sure like they have their own physical infrastructure so if does seem like they are the real deal.

From everything I can see these guys look like a good fit for me right now but I really want to go into this with my eyes open. Any advice?

Seconding that you come hang out in #oregoons on synirc, and you can PM me if you want - I work for an ISP in the PDX area that made the transition to Cloud Solutions and would be happy to chat.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

anthonypants posted:

You can also add $Talk.Volume = 50 or something, which is helpful if you're trying to run this on someone else's computer in order to drive them insane.

An old coworker used to come in super early and hide an EvilTron around the office (TLDR it's a little speaker that randomly makes creepy noises like a creaking door or "I can see you", just barely loud enough to hear). He'd move it every couple days so by the time someone was close to catching on, it was gone. It was glorious. Over the course of a month everyone started asking each other "hey did you hear something weird in the conference room? It was like dripping water but I could never find it" "Nah didn't hear that, but I swear my cube mate is talking to himself more" etc. The whole place was slowly descending into madness.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

oh, you mean Nagios on Windows?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Docjowles posted:

An old coworker used to come in super early and hide an EvilTron around the office (TLDR it's a little speaker that randomly makes creepy noises like a creaking door or "I can see you", just barely loud enough to hear). He'd move it every couple days so by the time someone was close to catching on, it was gone. It was glorious. Over the course of a month everyone started asking each other "hey did you hear something weird in the conference room? It was like dripping water but I could never find it" "Nah didn't hear that, but I swear my cube mate is talking to himself more" etc. The whole place was slowly descending into madness.

I am now sorely tempted to get an EvilTron to plant in my NOC for general amusement. We're so quite most of the time that it should be quite entertaining if it's trigger timer isn't too short :unsmigghh:. It's a drat shame you can't set it on a timer or clock though.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

code:

I once snuck this into a script that my coworker was reviewing and it scared the everliving poo poo out of him. A++++ would code again.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

code:

Enter-PSSession -ComputerName computer -Credential user

$Talk.Speak('Never going to give you up. Never going to let you down. Never going to run around and desert you.')

You need some group policy to allow remote execution of powershell and blah blah blah, but yes, it works.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sickening posted:

Enter-PSSession -ComputerName computer -Credential user

$Talk.Speak('Never going to give you up. Never going to let you down. Never going to run around and desert you.')

You need some group policy to allow remote execution of powershell and blah blah blah, but yes, it works.

And just to show you how much of an rear end in a top hat I am, I am currently sending justin beibers "oh baby" to one of my desktop guys for being a dick to his coworker today.

$Talk.Volume = 100
$Talk.Speak('You know you love me, I know you care. Just shout whenever, and I will be there. You are my love, you are my heart. And we would never ever ever be apart. Are we an item. Girl quit playing. Were just friends. what are you saying. Say theres another and look right in my eyes. My first love broke my heart for the first time. And I was like. Baby, baby, baby oh. Like baby, baby, baby no. Like baby, baby, baby oh. baby, baby no. I thought youd always be mine. mine.')

Sickening fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 3, 2016

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Finally, a worthwhile use for powershell.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Arsten posted:

This is wrong. I will grant two caveats: IANAL and that my employer experience is limited to three states, but all three of those states are "at will" states, which are the most lenient to the employers.

A "for-cause" termination is a direct and reasonable detriment to the employer. Documented "poor performance" (three write ups for "being bad" in general terms doesn't count. I've been directly ruled against for this) does not mean jack to the labor board or unemployment bureaus if you apply for unemployment and the company attempts to reject unemployment payments for you.

For reference, examples of "for cause" are: Theft with actionable evidence - e.g. terminating you because a case of coke went missing in the 5 minutes you are alone with it doesn't mean your termination was "for cause". Video of you walking the case of coke out the door without stopping at a register, however, IS "for cause".

Detrimental performance with actionable evidence. This is almost always sabotage. You threw sabot into your loom workstation. Note, that this has to be evidence-backed - again just the employer going "well, his computer was always needing to be repaired by IT and it was harming performance!" isn't actionable evidence.

There are a few items that aren't terribly high on the "actionable evidence" level needed: Multiple people filing complaints of physical threats, multiple people filing complaints of sexual harassment, and/or multiple witnesses to :airquote:terroristic utterances:airquote: tend to make the UE bureau rule towards the company.

I'm also not a lawyer nor a manager and my experience is strictly limited towards the US Midwest for about a decade. That's not the best sample size but I've had the opportunity to be just under the Exec. Manager / Co-Owner and my mother who's now retired was the site manager for hospitals / nursing homes. I've learned a great deal from both of them professionally and one of things I caught onto was the "The Myth of unemployment after getting fired". Neither of them had no issue fighting against previously terminated direct reports. Out of a few dozen terminations the only ones I recall that received unemployment was when the co-owner didn't show up to the UE hearing because the schedule interfered with his golf outing.

"There always something wrong with his computer! He must have been breaking it!" isn't going to fly but a simple printout of a user's consistently late morning sign-activity is certainly going to be found more solid. Other notes such as "3/9/2014 - 3:34PM Bob Contoso used inappropriate language with our client Fabrikam. Bob was warned his behavior was unprofessional in person and through email." and with several more such as these notes, putting the offender on a Performance Improvement Plan Bob's unemployment petition will likely fail.

This isn't a binder's worth of documentation.

Arsten posted:

When terminated for any reason, file for unemployment. If challenged by your previous company, speak with a UE lawyer about your chances to win - and be honest with the UE lawyer. It'll cost you less in the long run. :v:

I wouldn't disagree either but try not to get fired from your employer if you're able to help it. It wouldn't care to gamble on calming unemployment after termination.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

You're also assuming that a reference's personal contact info won't change in 10 years. The *cough-linkedin-cough* comment is pretty much on the nose here, but consider that LinkedIn started in 2002, only really caught on recently, and my resume stretches back a lot longer than that.

Right but how often does everyone change their personal phone number or email? Beyond that, unless your applying for some Exec / C-Level Position what employer that invested in contacting references you worked with over ten years ago?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

"There always something wrong with his computer! He must have been breaking it!" isn't going to fly but a simple printout of a user's consistently late morning sign-activity is certainly going to be found more solid. Other notes such as "3/9/2014 - 3:34PM Bob Contoso used inappropriate language with our client Fabrikam. Bob was warned his behavior was unprofessional in person and through email." and with several more such as these notes, putting the offender on a Performance Improvement Plan Bob's unemployment petition will likely fail.

That would be "Binders full" of information. If you make that series of notes, you have to back it up with evidence. Do you have a printout of the email discussing this with Bob with you? And, while a time clock record of being constantly tardy is useful, you need evidence of corrective action to go along with it. If you just have a series of notes going "in person" and no evidence backing up that some sort of corrective action plan, then the company will usually get ruled against.

If you don't have that binder full of evidence on why he was fired, Bob's getting UE and what you noted is illustrating exactly what my point was: Have evidence on everything you did prior to termination. If you get into a he said-she said at the UE hearing, the company loses by default in most states.

When you say "The Midwest" you include a lot of land that is handled completely differently. In Illinois and Wisconsin, for example, you can terminate for-cause for almost anything you have documented - unless you're unionized, in which case the union contract is supposed to stipulate what constitutes cause. In Kansas and Iowa, they have lists of for-cause situations. If you fall outside of that list (or don't have it documented :v: ) it's not for cause.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
You can play .wav files remotely too.
code:

Invoke-Command -ComputerName bob-PC -Credential (Get-Credential) -ScriptBlock {(New-Object Media.SoundPlayer "\\server\white_and_nerdy-System_of_a_Down-SOAD.wav").PlaySync() }
Forever.

code:
 Invoke-Command -ComputerName bob-PC -Credential (Get-Credential) -ScriptBlock
{

While($true)
    { 
    $random = (get-random -max 2000 -min 1000) 
   (New-Object Media.SoundPlayer "\\server\white_and_nerdy-System_of_a_Down-SOAD.wav").PlaySync()
    Start-Sleep -s $random
    }

}

Methanar fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 4, 2016

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

I once snuck this into a script that my coworker was reviewing and it scared the everliving poo poo out of him. A++++ would code again.

Try setting $Talk.Rate to -10 next time. Does anyone know where to get additional voices? I've got David and Zira, but I bet it would sound awesome if there was a Javier or something.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Arsten posted:

That would be "Binders full" of information. If you make that series of notes, you have to back it up with evidence. Do you have a printout of the email discussing this with Bob with you? And, while a time clock record of being constantly tardy is useful, you need evidence of corrective action to go along with it. If you just have a series of notes going "in person" and no evidence backing up that some sort of corrective action plan, then the company will usually get ruled against.

If you don't have that binder full of evidence on why he was fired, Bob's getting UE and what you noted is illustrating exactly what my point was: Have evidence on everything you did prior to termination. If you get into a he said-she said at the UE hearing, the company loses by default in most states.

When you say "The Midwest" you include a lot of land that is handled completely differently. In Illinois and Wisconsin, for example, you can terminate for-cause for almost anything you have documented - unless you're unionized, in which case the union contract is supposed to stipulate what constitutes cause. In Kansas and Iowa, they have lists of for-cause situations. If you fall outside of that list (or don't have it documented :v: ) it's not for cause.

If you consider that a binder's worth I understand but to me it's no more than 20-30 pieces paper. A corrective action plan is the same a performance improvement plan. Yes, the Midwest includes a lot of different states with wildly different regulations but overall my experience has shown me if you're fired collecting unemployment is an uphill battle.

On personal level, given how life may throw unexpected curve balls I'd err on the side of cation and wouldn't give out the advice to anyone that if they're fired they'll be able to collect unemployment. I'd tell them to talk to a lawyer, always apply but don't hold your breath and having 6-months savings is absolutely essential.

I think this horse has been beaten to death and it's time to move on. Excellent discussion. :)

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

If you consider that a binder's worth I understand but to me it's no more than 20-30 pieces paper. A corrective action plan is the same a performance improvement plan. Yes, the Midwest includes a lot of different states with wildly different regulations but overall my experience has shown me if you're fired collecting unemployment is an uphill battle.

On personal level, given how life may throw unexpected curve balls I'd err on the side of cation and wouldn't give out the advice to anyone that if they're fired they'll be able to collect unemployment. I'd tell them to talk to a lawyer, always apply but don't hold your breath and having 6-months savings is absolutely essential.

I think this horse has been beaten to death and it's time to move on. Excellent discussion. :)

My experience has shown me, more often than not, employers simply don't have their poo poo together. But I'm sure that's because we work in wildly different company environments. I always recommend filing because of that experience and then, if denied, talk honestly with a UE lawyer.

And no discussion is complete until you get blood from a stone!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

My new job's dress code is basically no flip-flops and shorts have to cover the knees. This is just bizarre. I worked at a pizza place with a stricter dress code.