Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Viral Warfare posted:

How playable is it, is it one of those games that tries really hard to be realistic and simulationist and just winds up being absurd/buggy/broken? Price tag looks really high

Honestly, it is all of those things (most obviously, it's overpriced) but also it is fun and playable, I think. I wasn't telling people to buy it, just using the internal politics thing as an example of what I like in strategy games. Has a lot in common with vicky 2, though; hell, it's even got newspapers.

Though if it does go down in price sometime I think it's worth picking up

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
I agree with the sentiment that Vicky2 and CK2 make you feel like a part of the narrative where you actually care. EU4 feels like an exercise in anonymous blobbing and Stellaris is more of the same. In fact Stellaris takes it to a whole new level. I don't think I could care any less about my empire or my randomly generated adversaries. Beeline for techs, blob, endgame, restart, ad nauseum.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Victoria's a bit of an ancient mess with horrible mechanics now though. Could use a revamp rather badly.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Victoria 3's focus absolutely can't stray from economics though. There's a reason wars suck to fight in V2 and why they're bloody as hell and have a huge impact on a country's economy: because that's how the 19th century worked.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

Victoria 3's focus absolutely can't stray from economics though. There's a reason wars suck to fight in V2 and why they're bloody as hell and have a huge impact on a country's economy: because that's how the 19th century worked.

Victoria without the economics would basically just be EU set in the 1800s. The economics and internal politics are the defining features of the series.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Viral Warfare posted:

How playable is it, is it one of those games that tries really hard to be realistic and simulationist and just winds up being absurd/buggy/broken? Price tag looks really high

If I recall correctly I played one of the earlier games in the "series" and I spent most of my time as Obama trying to seduce the wives of every national leader I could find.

It's a pretty terrible game tho.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Victoria without the economics would basically just be EU set in the 1800s. The economics and internal politics are the defining features of the series.

Yeah, pretty much this. It was a defining period in European history that spawned movements that shaped and are present in Europe's economic and political landscape to this very day. This should be Victoria's central theme.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Totally agree, I just think Paradox is going to have a hell of a time making an economics simulator that is fun. And unfortunately the V1/V2 style of fun isn't mass-market enough to fit in with modern Paradox design philosophy or their customers now.

I mean, not to say they've made everyone filthy casuals, but they have to find out how to somehow make economics accessible in the least grognardy way possible.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

mackintosh posted:

I agree with the sentiment that Vicky2 and CK2 make you feel like a part of the narrative where you actually care. EU4 feels like an exercise in anonymous blobbing and Stellaris is more of the same. In fact Stellaris takes it to a whole new level. I don't think I could care any less about my empire or my randomly generated adversaries. Beeline for techs, blob, endgame, restart, ad nauseum.

I dislike Vicky2 and CK2 because their game systems aren't very interesting and mostly loved by people who can't hack it in real games.

gently caress stories and black box systems and random garbage.

(EDIT: That probably came off as harsher than I thought but I much prefer the EU4 style to Vicky/CK2 and I believe Stellaris has basically the advantage of neither game.)

Panzeh fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 3, 2016

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

EU4 is more like a boardgame, and as such feels more like a game where CK2 and V2 feel more like simulations.

I'd honestly be fine with V3 going either way. The biggest thing though is that I cannot really see how you can go down the simulation way and also make it feel transparent or interactive. The economy in the era is literally about the invisible hand of the market, so regardless of how well it's made, if the economy is transparent and easily accessible to the player it will feel out of place.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

YF-23 posted:

EU4 is more like a boardgame, and as such feels more like a game where CK2 and V2 feel more like simulations.

I'd honestly be fine with V3 going either way. The biggest thing though is that I cannot really see how you can go down the simulation way and also make it feel transparent or interactive. The economy in the era is literally about the invisible hand of the market, so regardless of how well it's made, if the economy is transparent and easily accessible to the player it will feel out of place.

The invisible hand of the market is transparent and easily accessible - Vicky does not really use the invisible hand of the market though.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

YF-23 posted:

You can't really - that's kind of the point of simulations though. They're built around using computers to do things that would be way too complex for a human to handle while playing a board game (not that there aren't some obscenely complex board games out there, but like 90% of the complexity of those games would vanish if they were video games and just had the computer handle all the paperwork). Game systems don't have to be transparent to be fair - they just have to work how you logically expect they SHOULD work. The main failing with a lot of games in this style isn't the systems themselves but the documentation - descriptions of things being out of date or just plain wrong giving people the wrong impression about what is happening when they use ability X.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Even with good documentation that will result in an economic system where you could easily say "this is a system that was fun for the developer to make, not for the player to play". The best you could do is make it something the player doesn't feel he has to understand by giving them other things to do, but then you also have the problem that the economy feels less important if you don't have to deal with it quite as much.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Well, if I were to design a economic system for Vicky 3 it would work like this:

Goods are sold on the world market to the highest paying customer, but there are certain modifiers:

-If sphered, everyone outside the sphere gets a 50% malus (=> has to pay double), everyone in the sphere except for the sphere owner gets a 25% malus (=> has to pay 50% more). This additional income goes to the sphere owner.
-Tariffs have to be paid by the customer
-Logistics cost have to be payed by the customer (not sure if this should be included)

GaussianCopula fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Jun 3, 2016

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
paid

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Panzeh posted:

I dislike Vicky2 and CK2 because their game systems aren't very interesting and mostly loved by people who can't hack it in real games.

gently caress stories and black box systems and random garbage.

(EDIT: That probably came off as harsher than I thought but I much prefer the EU4 style to Vicky/CK2 and I believe Stellaris has basically the advantage of neither game.)

Eh, I don't think Victoria 2 and Crusader Kings 2 are much alike in this regard.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I wonder if "simulation" as an ideal isn't kind of a red herring. If Vicky's systems for economy, population, and politics are supposed to be simulations of their real-life counterparts, there is really only the faintest resemblance. That isn't a knock against Paradox, it's just a fact that gigantic social systems are really hard to understand and predict for anyone. What does count against Paradox is that the resulting simulations are basically taking tons of programmer and CPU effort for no real benefit - the computer gets to have all the fun, as they say. I hope we'll see less emphasis on """realistic""" systems in the game, in favor of historically flavorful and fun mechanics.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

GaussianCopula posted:

Well, if I were to design a economic system for Vicky 3 it would work like this:

Goods are sold on the world market to the highest paying customer, but there are certain modifiers:

-If sphered, everyone outside the sphere gets a 50% malus (=> has to pay double), everyone in the sphere except for the sphere owner gets a 25% malus (=> has to pay 50% more). This additional income goes to the sphere owner.
-Tariffs have to be payed by the customer
-Logistics cost have to be payed by the customer (not sure if this should be included)
Having transportation costs be included would be a natural way to make infrastructure matter more on a grand scale, and would justify expanding on that part of the game in terms of how it relates to for example warfare too. You could have basic infrastructure improvement like you have now, improving transportation within a state, but on top of that you could add a proper strategic layer of infrastructure linking regional markets together and allowing rapid transit of armies along the same corridor. Sort of analogous to how you plan out forts in EU4, except designed to give your armies increased mobility rather than hinder the enemy's. (And of course the construction of these, being partially a military matter, should always be possible for the player no matter the economic policy.)

The above would then result in the basic added cost of goods, based on how connected the start and end point are, and on top of that you'd then add tariffs and/or subtract subsidies. Which I don't think should be a simple fixed number really, when it comes to sphere members. I'd basically have a subject interaction screen which allows you to determine internal tariffs between you and your sphere members/puppets/protectorates in the same fashion you'd do it for your own country toward anyone else. To different degrees depending on your control over the country of course, so perhaps a country which was only weakly sphered could only have its tariffs towards you (and your subjects if you so desired) reduced, while one that's solidly yours could have it stripped away entirely, while you'd be able to set the tariffs (toward you, subjects, and other countries) of puppets just as freely as you can your own.

Expanding on those parts, where the player can meaningfully plan out how they can improve the economy of their country, while stripping away needless detail (Does the game really need 30 different types of goods for the AI to get confused about?) could I think maintain the feel of the setting while making it more accessible to a greater player base.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Drone posted:

Totally agree, I just think Paradox is going to have a hell of a time making an economics simulator that is fun. And unfortunately the V1/V2 style of fun isn't mass-market enough to fit in with modern Paradox design philosophy or their customers now.

I mean, not to say they've made everyone filthy casuals, but they have to find out how to somehow make economics accessible in the least grognardy way possible.

EU4 is pretty complex though? I mean, the combat system and the trade system at least are very far from simple to understand

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Elias_Maluco posted:

EU4 is pretty complex though? I mean, the combat system and the trade system at least are very far from simple to understand

By comparison, there is literally nobody who understands how Victoria 2's trade system works except the guy who created it, who apparently no longer works at Paradox and has fallen off the face of the Earth.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Drone posted:

By comparison, there is literally nobody who understands how Victoria 2's trade system works except the guy who created it, who apparently no longer works at Paradox and has fallen off the face of the Earth.

No he still works here, he doesn't understand it either.
Implementing something means you understand the individual parts, but you have to understand that the world market code ties in to every single thing almost in the game making it very hard, in essence emergent behavior from several modules doing their own independent thing. This in return means an actual overview to explain why the economy crashed at this specific instance becomes much more complex to deduce.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

For me, CK2 is pretty explicit in the stories it can tell, whereas with EU4 I tend to fill in the blanks myself, and I kind of love both.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Groogy posted:

No he still works here, he doesn't understand it either.
Implementing something means you understand the individual parts, but you have to understand that the world market code ties in to every single thing almost in the game making it very hard, in essence emergent behavior from several modules doing their own independent thing. This in return means an actual overview to explain why the economy crashed at this specific instance becomes much more complex to deduce.

Much like the real economy.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Athaboros posted:

I would read an LP of this.

anyway ck2 is cool but conclave is irredeemable. explain yourselves pdox

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Didn't somebody actually do an LP of it at some point? The UI looks so familiar.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Yeah I remember that as well.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I'd very much like to read that LP. Also lol at "loutish state".

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

corn in the bible posted:

anyway ck2 is cool but conclave is irredeemable. explain yourselves pdox

Why do you hate Conclave so much? I feel like it's the only decent CK dlc since old gods. AE and coalitions are dumb as hell but they came in the patch

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Empress Theonora posted:

Didn't somebody actually do an LP of it at some point? The UI looks so familiar.

Because it's part of a longish game series that incrementally "improves" with each release. The UI doesn't seem to change much outwardly though.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Empress Theonora posted:

I did an LP of one of the much earlier games in the series yes. It was during the great archive failure though so it's gone forever

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

corn in the bible posted:

I did an LP of one of the much earlier games in the series yes. It was during the great archive failure though so it's gone forever

Wasn't it this? I can read that just fine.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
e: wrong thread

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

As someone who formerly worked in journalism, this hurt so much to read that I died and am now a ghost.

Edit: Jesus christ did no one pay attention in English classes?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, that's the one!

Ah yeah, that's the stuff. This is the web content I signed up for.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

TheMcD posted:

That's the one. I thought it was gone! Anyway, while the fundamental game is still similar to that (GPS2) it mostly works a lot better in the modern version. Plus you can play as the opposition or an insurgency, which is neat.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Empress Theonora posted:

Yeah, that's the one!

Ah yeah, that's the stuff. This is the web content I signed up for.

I'd totally pay :10bux: or something just for the humor value, too bad it's $50 and has some sort of lovely limited activation 3rd party DRM.

gently caress you, no.

EDIT: I wish someone competent would compete in Paradox's gamespace. It'd be good for everyone, I think.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I wouldn't have nuked Texas if Congress hadn't okayed their independence

e: as far as I know, the steam version of gps4 is not limited activation like the previous one was (which is why I never bought it, even on sale). I can try and find out though I guess

Actually, 2 was limited activation as well, but I paid like two bucks for it in a used bookstore, so that was OK.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 3, 2016

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

I was so completely charmed by the fact that after you nuked Texas you could offer its president a nice cup of coffee.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

I love that the LP was basically just a series of vignettes since it seems impossible to stay in power no matter what you do. A Good Game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Athaboros posted:

I love that the LP was basically just a series of vignettes since it seems impossible to stay in power no matter what you do. A Good Game.

I still love that in almost every case the player lost power for an incredibly stupid reason, too, even if they'd done other things that were way worse. Ireland's government fell for trying to ban Satanism; the United States started World War III and the President was deposed by Republicans who were rioting over troop withdrawals from Iraq.