Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I was gonna say the Leave campaign's argument is basically the Dad's Army titles, then I found out they got there first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

LemonDrizzle posted:

"gently caress it, we can't win the economic argument so let's just go for pure racism and lies"

https://twitter.com/odysseanproject/status/738355702889078785

Good reasons to oppose Turkish accession: Occupation of Northern Cyprus, treatment of the Kurds, denial of the Armenian genocide, political corruption in the Erdogan government, general human rights record.
Reasons people oppose Turkish accession: MUSLAMIC RAY GUNS.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Jippa posted:

It's so nice today, I wish we had real summers in this country, it makes me feel a million times happier.
It's poo poo in the South East (well, more so than usual). It's been like 10C and cloudy for days. I blame those shifty Eurocrats and their weather systems, coming over here and stealing are summer.

edit: but i agree sunny days are a good thing and make everyone happier.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Yeah this is super we're all enjoying the unseasonably hot temperatures for the nth year in a row don't think of the broader implications oh God we're all hosed

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Nah it's going to open up a whole lot of new habitable land in Greenland, Canada, and Siberia who will give us our famous warm welcome as refugees.

I thought Britain was going to freeze due to global warming because of the Atlantic conveyor or the polar vortex or something.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Guavanaut posted:

Atlantic conveyor
Wasn't that sunk by the Argentinians? Thanks General Galtieri, for saving us from the glaciers.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Don't hold me to this because I'm no scientist but I believe it will in the long run because the ice caps will melt and that'll dilute the oceans somewhat which will likely stop the gulf stream (which relies on a pretty exact ocean balance). As that is one of the things that keeps us warm for our latitude, we'd likely end up with a much colder climate.

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006
Good. British people are so unbelievably poo poo at warm weather they don't deserve any.

When the last 'heat wave' the local supermarket's concession to 'barbeque weather' was not to get in salads and kofte, but to extend their range of family sized lasagna to be an entire aisle. The hot pie and lasagna aisle.

Why the gently caress would you cook hot food (that can only be eaten hot) in your already too loving hot house?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The hot pie & lasagne aisle sounds like paradise tbh

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
is it a single lasagna the length of an entire aisle because if so yes please

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
As long as the other side of the aisle is a pie.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/DavidAllenGreen/status/738398104861478916
https://twitter.com/DavidAllenGreen/status/738727128083091460
The writer (tweeter?) is a practicing lawyer and writes the rather good Jack of Kent legal blog, for what it's worth.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

is that £20k all in? not per election?
i despair

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Heh, apparently people aren't that easily fooled.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
If we Brexit, I fully expect the media to run down the street pushing Boris and Nigel out of the way in a desperate bid to reach Corbyn's doorstep and say it's all his fault

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

If we Brexit, I fully expect the media to run down the street pushing Boris and Nigel out of the way in a desperate bid to reach Corbyn's doorstep and say it's all his fault

'Why didn't the Labour Remain vote appear?'

Jeremy Corbyn weak leadership on Europe may have given Leave the edge it needed.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

peanut- posted:

Heh, apparently people aren't that easily fooled.

:wtc:

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

He began his speech by ridiculing the idea that leaving will cause economic collapse - which is the strongest argument remain has - and then basically explained that the real actual EU is a bit poo poo but he'd support a different one. I mean, the theme of his speech was "another Europe is possible", so it's understandable if people aren't sure whether he thinks the Europe they're voting for on June 23 is any good.

I'm not saying anything he said was actually wrong though.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

The 25% who said "don't know" are the only sensible ones imo. Corbyn's actual personal opinion on the leave debate (rather than the party line he promotes) is ambiguous at best and that's entirely okay.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
silly Corbyn, you're not supposed to be honest!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mam's voting leave because "It's time britain took back britain."

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

https://twitter.com/DavidAllenGreen/status/738398104861478916
https://twitter.com/DavidAllenGreen/status/738727128083091460
The writer (tweeter?) is a practicing lawyer and writes the rather good Jack of Kent legal blog, for what it's worth.

It's good that he's mentioning a legalistic perspective; from a political perspective, a conviction of election fraud would make the MPs' position untenable.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did anyone think that there was a legalistic perspective for triggering a byelection? I didn't think you could actually boot an MP out for anything short of long jail sentences causing them to be unable to attend parliament to be honest, they can't even resign as far as I know.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

OwlFancier posted:

I do wonder what would happen with these people if Leave were to win and the country immediately failed to get less brown.

Probably elect Labour on a platform of CONTROLS ON IMMIGRATION

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

She assures me it's not about hating immigrants but "we let too many people in who shouldn't be here and already have criminal records"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sounds a lot like Britain's old policy re: Australia. Or Australia's old policy re: Britain perhaps.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

She assures me it's not about hating immigrants but "we let too many people in who shouldn't be here and already have criminal records"

Ah yes, "I'm not racist, but"

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

TinTower posted:

It's good that he's mentioning a legalistic perspective; from a political perspective, a conviction of election fraud would make the MPs' position untenable.
maybe I'm being too pessimistic but studiously ignoring any and all negative press until people forget about it seems to have worked for them most of the time for the last 6 years

like if the tabloids got themselves into the sort of frothing rage they usually reserve for filthy leftists not singing the national anthem then it would be game over but I just don't think it's going to happen

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

LemonDrizzle posted:

"gently caress it, we can't win the economic argument so let's just go for pure racism and lies"

https://twitter.com/odysseanproject/status/738355702889078785
I'm pretty sure Turkey aren't? :shrug: Turkey WANT to join the EU in order to reap the benefits of the system but their human rights records have been legendarily monstrous and beyond contemptible, so if they were allowed in there would be an uproar in Brussels for certain.

So it's currently being debated I believe and not a certainty, but I am pretty sure the EU are going to say "listen stop treating people like utter poo poo with your church-and-state bullshit because we don't do that here", because EU are powerful enough even in this climate to tell a country to gently caress off.

Actually curious question, is Russia in the EU at all?

OwlFancier posted:

Did she mean "we let too many criminals into Britain" or did she mean "we let too many criminals into parliament"? :v:

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 3, 2016

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

ThomasPaine posted:

Don't hold me to this because I'm no scientist but I believe it will in the long run because the ice caps will melt and that'll dilute the oceans somewhat which will likely stop the gulf stream (which relies on a pretty exact ocean balance). As that is one of the things that keeps us warm for our latitude, we'd likely end up with a much colder climate.

There have been simulations done which model the effect of having no Arctic ice cap and they came to slightly surprising results - the jet stream won't go away it will just get more amplified i.e. more wavy. This is due to low and high pressures will be on average stronger, which results in the extreme weather being stronger as well. What effect that would have on the UK is that we probably are more likely to go from cold to hot more than we have historically, instead of the normally settled weather we do have.

FYI. On the note of the ice caps there is a chance the Arctic could be in effect ice free this year, the ice melt is beyond the previous records by significant margins so this year will be a good indicator long term what having no arctic ice will do to the weather.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

FinalGamer posted:

They're not in the EU or any greater economic area, trading zone, or free movement area.

They are in the ECtHR jurisdiction though. They've been accused of ignoring it a lot though, but a high proportion of the cases heard in the court are from Russia or surrounding states. Except Belarus, which plain is not in it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah turkey are apparently miles off meeting the criteria of being able to join and nobody will vote for them, it's scare tactics.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

She isn't even particularly racist, she just thinks the worst of everyone and god knows there's disproportionate amounts of blame being shoveled on immigrants/foreigners/muslims/terrorists/all literally the same thing why even make the distinction amirite, and she doesn't seem interested in questioning it. So she's racist but, like, as a function of a more general misanthropy.

She takes cynicism to a level where it sort of loops back round into some kind of inverse idealism. I really don't understand my mother.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

FinalGamer posted:

I'm pretty sure Turkey aren't? :shrug: Turkey WANT to join the EU in order to reap the benefits of the system but their human rights records have been legendarily monstrous and beyond contemptible, so if they were allowed in there would be an uproar in Brussels for certain.

So it's currently being debated I believe and not a certainty, but I am pretty sure the EU are going to say "listen stop treating people like utter poo poo with your church-and-state bullshit because we don't do that here", because EU are powerful enough even in this climate to tell a country to gently caress off.

Russia? lol

I'm pretty sure that everyone has a veto over new members anyway.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Did anyone think that there was a legalistic perspective for triggering a byelection? I didn't think you could actually boot an MP out for anything short of long jail sentences causing them to be unable to attend parliament to be honest, they can't even resign as far as I know.

There are, IIRC, two ways election fraud cases can be tried:

• Election court petition, which voids the election entirely. The last time this happened was in 1923.
  • Crown Court following corrupt practices charge, which disqualifies an MP from membership of the House of Commons. The last time this happened was in 1997.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

OwlFancier posted:

I got to sit through a wonderful "discussion" at work yesterday about how that no good ECHR prevents us from hanging all the paedophiles, and how the speaker would quite happily take a job tying the noose and pulling the lever. Which is like, wow, yeah, totally an opinion it's appropriate for any kind of healthcare worker to express out loud, that we should start murdering sick people because rehabilitating them is too expensive and inconvenient.

What started this was mention of a previous incident where the sexual health doctor I work with expressed pity towards convicts, which in my experience seems to be a popular hot button subject with nurses who tend to immediately go off on a "but what about the victims???" rant.

(tangent: casual bikechat with a different nurse capping off with "Think Bike? They should tell bikers to Think Car!! :roflolmao:". I'd ask Namtab what it is that makes nurses go funny like this but I think I can guess)

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

His position is the least honest of any of the main figures of this referendum.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
it is sort of funny how Cameron has jumped all over the immigrants bad bandwagon because he wants to appeal to racists and what have you and is now being hosed by the very obvious fact that there isn't much you can do about immigration from the Eu when you're in the Eu

poor strategic thinking imho

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What is your guess because nurses being very specific brands of mental is kind of weird to me and I've noticed it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
fairly constant exposure to horrific injuries and dying people is my guess

• Locked thread