Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which game are you excited for this month?
Yes
No
Only two times a day
View Results

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

In Training posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_in_the_Lake there's actually quite a few films throughout history that have done first person narrative, it's generally just an hard way to shoot a movie and still have it look interesting.

Yeah I've seen lady in the lake, there's some amazing cinematography in there. Rear Window is also fantastic.

We've had some first-person filmmaking and some great long-shots, but nothing quite like Hardcore Henry.

Strange Days had a really fantastic first-person sequence which was even better than Hardcore Henry, but it didn't last very long.

Children of Men isn't exactly first person but its still my go-to film for amazing cinematography. And Birdman managed to make the entire film seem like one continuous take, which was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You may have seen it but if you want a cool single take film Russian Ark is pretty fantastic, as is Metal Gear Solid V - All Cutscenes [HD] - YouTube

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

In Training posted:

You may have seen it but if you want a cool single take film Russian Ark is pretty fantastic, as is Metal Gear Solid V - All Cutscenes [HD] - YouTube

Counterpoint: Russian Ark is not that good outside of its gimmick.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

in russian ark all the dinosaurs wear tracksuits

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Paladinus posted:

Counterpoint: Russian Ark is not that good outside of its gimmick.

The idea that time travel is linked to the different physical spaces in lieu of editing for similar effect is pretty cool, and it's pretty impressive to see all the different performances unfolding and overlapping as the film continues. I like it

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Are there any big dramatic Oscar winning movies that'd make a good video game adaptation? Like, you sorta have had Titanic games before, but I mean, you couldn't really make a video game out of Precious, could you? No cell-phone adaptation of Birdman?

Mad Max: Fury Road was a Best Picture nominee and The Hurt Locker won Best Picture.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Kins posted:

I remember the EA adaption of The Godfather from the start of last generation being decent. Not amazing, but it helped fill the open-world void before GTA4 and had some fun gimmicks like analogue punching during fistfights.

I loved how the rackett mechanic worked in 2. basicaly you had a small army and after taking over rackets. you had to defend them. i would always put a poo poo ton of guards at every rackets. and then goons from rival mobs would show up. once and while with named dudes. it felt like an rts. it was cool.

Palpek posted:

I love anti-piracy ideas like these. The invincible scorpion enemy from Serious Sam 3, Dragon Quest 5 starting boat never making it to land, one of the Talos Principle's elevators locking the pirate inside. Game Dev Tycoon has the best meta option where at some point the pirate is informed that too many people are pirating the developed game and the in-game studio then goes bankrupt fast.

i always liked the batman one where you couldn't glide.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Motto posted:

I'm looking forward to

(Zero Time Dilemma)

Much less excited for people getting inevitably weird about spoilers.

You mean spoilers like Nanako Dojima is Zero?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

In Training posted:

The idea that time travel is linked to the different physical spaces in lieu of editing for similar effect is pretty cool, and it's pretty impressive to see all the different performances unfolding and overlapping as the film continues. I like it

It's essentially a glorified advert for the Hermitage, rather than an actual film. It looks nice, sure, but it lacks in substance. But hey, if it's managed to convince some people to visit Russia, it's cool by me.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

Mad Max: Fury Road was a Best Picture nominee and The Hurt Locker won Best Picture.

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King is a record-holder for movie awards. Not sure if that counts

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Found a guy on Craigslist selling his PS3, 3 controllers, and a shitload of games for $160. The PS3 looks like it's in great shape and I could use the spare controllers. Trying out Demon's Souls on PS Now made me wanna play it for real very badly. :v:

edit: Here's the full list of games copied/pasted right from the listing

quote:

Call of Duty Black ops2 (Almost brand new scratchless)
Fifa 13 ( Scratchless. A good estimate would be played only 15 times
Need For Speed Most Wanted ( Almost brand new scratchless)
Devil May Cry (Almost brand new scratchless, Played hardly 5 times)
Injustice Gods Among Us (Almost brand new scratchless, played 3 times because I finished the game)
Uncharted Drakes Fortune( Played only once)
Uncharted 2 Among thieves (Brand new SEALED never played)
InFamous (Played once)
InFamous 2 (Brand New Sealed)
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Limited edition, comes with extra cars and other bonus features(The only used game I bought but the CD is scratchless).
Need for Speed Rivals (Brand new condition)
Gran Turismo 6(Brand New Sealed)
Grand Theft Auto IV (Scratchless)
Batman: Arkham City (The only one with minor scratches)
Red Dead R edemption (Almost brand new, scratchless)
Metal Gear Solid 4 (Scratchless)

The only games in there I own are the Uncharteds on my PS4 so it's definitely a net gain for me.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 3, 2016

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Phantasium posted:

E3 motherfucker

The past 5~10 E3 conventions have been garbage. I don't know why people are still excited for it unless you're going there irl for the experience, like as a tourist attraction.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Love Stole the Day posted:

The past 5~10 E3 conventions have been garbage. I don't know why people are still excited for it unless you're going there irl for the experience, like as a tourist attraction.

We just pretend to like it to piss you off. Hell, that's the whole reason the convention's still going on.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

CJacobs posted:

Found a guy on Craigslist selling his PS3, 3 controllers, and a shitload of games for $160. The PS3 looks like it's in great shape and I could use the spare controllers. Trying out Demon's Souls on PS Now made me wanna play it for real very badly. :v:

Seems like you'd easily pay that much for just the games, even though they're getting a bit old I suppose. On the other hand if you don't like driving games that cuts out a big chunk

mostly to make fun of it, watch Giant Bomb make fun of it, and occasionally to let myself get fooled by a starry eyed preview for some bullshit I'll never see again in that state

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

2014 was pretty good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Sony reveal of last guardian/Shenmue 3/FF7HD was insane

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

The only games in there I own are the Uncharteds on my PS4 so it's definitely a net gain for me.

That sounds like a stolen PS3 with the price and the amount of sealed copies.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FutonForensic posted:

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King is a record-holder for movie awards. Not sure if that counts

The EA LotR hack and slash games were good for what they were at ye time. And their LotR FFX clone was really mediocre but the devs trash-talking Square in promotionap interviews was hilariois, like the guy who made the generic orchestral music for the game talking about wanting to make his kid stop playing FF because the music was so bad or bragging about how their game would be better than FFbecause they could use actual movie footage instead of cutscenes.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

In Training posted:

The Sony reveal of last guardian/Shenmue 3/FF7HD was insane

It was one of the best magic tricks I've seen, to show an audience next to nothing and still win the day. Did Shenmue even get properly kickstarted?

At least FF7 appears to be A Real Game, but appearances can be deceiving.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm considering buying a PS4 now that the WiiU is basically being EOL'd. Figures that I'd only get a new console once it's already on its way out :saddowns:

I'm mostly looking at PS4 because of Overwatch and the fact that I only have a Mac for anything computery. I do wanna play DOOM as well, but I'm not very conscious of what other games the PS4 has aside from Dragon Age and, like, Jackbox.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It was one of the best magic tricks I've seen, to show an audience next to nothing and still win the day. Did Shenmue even get properly kickstarted?

At least FF7 appears to be A Real Game, but appearances can be deceiving.

Shenmue got funded before the conference was even over, and I still believe in Last Guardian 2016

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah? There was some weirdness with stretch goals and rewards for slacker backers, but it got funded almost immediately.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Grapplejack posted:

That sounds like a stolen PS3 with the price and the amount of sealed copies.

It didn't look like it to me, the guy said he just got a new job and didn't have time to play it anymore. He became a normie wage slave and left the world of videogames behind. smh

edit: I also doubt the games are really as scratchless/brand new as he says they are, I can tell he's kinda doing that thing where people talk up the freshness of their stuff so that you'll want to buy it more. But that's okay, as long as they work I don't really care.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 3, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

don't buy a PS4 for Overwatch, unless you really enjoy the input handicap

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also everything they've detailed about FF7HD in the year since has made me way more interested in it

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was watching a Twitch stream the other day and found out about this game, which is pretty similar to that Kickstarted Friday the 13th game from last year. It's called Dead by Daylight and its a 4v1 game where one player is a Jason Voorhees style murderer and the other players are like camp counselors or whatever trying to do certain objectives and get out alive.

Steam Store - http://store.steampowered.com/app/381210/

Twitch stream of the gameplay (just skip around and watch it)- https://www.twitch.tv/strippin/v/70138642

It's pretty cool for a concept and if a game actually pulls it off well I can see that being a fun game to play with some people.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

I'm considering buying a PS4 now that the WiiU is basically being EOL'd. Figures that I'd only get a new console once it's already on its way out :saddowns:

I'm mostly looking at PS4 because of Overwatch and the fact that I only have a Mac for anything computery. I do wanna play DOOM as well, but I'm not very conscious of what other games the PS4 has aside from Dragon Age and, like, Jackbox.

Bloodborne
Until dawn
Ratchet and clank
Edf 4.1
Dragon quest heroes

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Unfunny Poster posted:

I was watching a Twitch stream the other day and found out about this game, which is pretty similar to that Kickstarted Friday the 13th game from last year. It's called Dead by Daylight and its a 4v1 game where one player is a Jason Voorhees style murderer and the other players are like camp counselors or whatever trying to do certain objectives and get out alive.

Steam Store - http://store.steampowered.com/app/381210/

Twitch stream of the gameplay (just skip around and watch it)- https://www.twitch.tv/strippin/v/70138642

It's pretty cool for a concept and if a game actually pulls it off well I can see that being a fun game to play with some people.
drat, bunch of big names streaming that right now https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Dead%20by%20Daylight

edit: too lazy to quote and i get sniped :v:

Crinklepouch
May 30, 2016

Its a good day to do what has to be done by me and help my brother to defeat the enemys.
It's high June

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Real hurthling! posted:

Bloodborne
Until dawn
Ratchet and clank
Edf 4.1
Dragon quest heroes

Also Nuclear Throne if they don't want to play it on their macbook. DS3 too. Are there even OSX versions of DS?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CrashCat posted:

drat, bunch of big names streaming that right now https://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Dead%20by%20Daylight

edit: too lazy to quote and i get sniped :v:

Yeah it definitely seems like a streamer friendly game to play with friends and have fun with.

Seems like my kinda game to be honest.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Unfunny Poster posted:

Yeah it definitely seems like a streamer friendly game to play with friends and have fun with.

Seems like my kinda game to be honest.

Oh, neat. There was a vampires vs. hunters Half-Life mod that I used to play, that this reminds me of. All dark-rear end night time maps, with a lot of high-up places and stuff that the vampire team could use to take advantage of their stealth and mobility powers.

Anyway, I'm not surprised that the streamers love this. It's like a much more thematic version of that secret murderer mode in Garry's Mod that blew up like a year ago.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

deadly_pudding posted:

Oh, neat. There was a vampires vs. hunters Half-Life mod that I used to play, that this reminds me of. All dark-rear end night time maps, with a lot of high-up places and stuff that the vampire team could use to take advantage of their stealth and mobility powers.

Anyway, I'm not surprised that the streamers love this. It's like a much more thematic version of that secret murderer mode in Garry's Mod that blew up like a year ago.

Reminds me of The Hunted mod for half-life, where one person was an invisible monster and the other people had to try to shoot him down before he stabbed them all. Except mixed with survival horror like Amnesia where you have no way to fight back against the monster and can only run and hide.

Also kinda reminds me of The Ship, which was like the secret murderer Garry's Mod thing you mentioned. Or Bloody Good Time, which was basically Ship 2.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Trouble in Terrorist Town was super good fun times if you could find a server that wasn't children and didn't had you download 10 gigs worth of stuff just to play secret murder fun times.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
TTT is great fun, I occasionally redownload GMod to play it sometimes. When I'm the traitor I love dicking people over by frantically yelling "IT'S F-" (unpress mic button) "IT'S HIM-" as I'm killing them. Works every time. :allears:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

CJacobs posted:

TTT is great fun, I occasionally redownload GMod to play it sometimes. When I'm the traitor I love dicking people over by frantically yelling "IT'S F-" (unpress mic button) "IT'S HIM-" as I'm killing them. Works every time. :allears:

I like servers that have the headcrab launcher, because if you time it right you can shot a giant pod filled of headcrabs at someone and they'll get kill by the impact of the pod before the headcrabs even come out.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Zaphod42 posted:

Reminds me of The Hunted mod for half-life, where one person was an invisible monster and the other people had to try to shoot him down before he stabbed them all. Except mixed with survival horror like Amnesia where you have no way to fight back against the monster and can only run and hide.

Also kinda reminds me of The Ship, which was like the secret murderer Garry's Mod thing you mentioned. Or Bloody Good Time, which was basically Ship 2.

It was The Hidden. :goonsay: only because I played the poo poo out of it. Being the Hidden was such a drat rush whenever you were able to take out the other team even though they tried to watch each other's backs.

Edit: It seems there was a "The Hunted" mod for HL2. But it's 2 equal teams instead of asymmetrical vs.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/thehunted

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 3, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The GMod game was Trouble in Terrorist Town. It's a pretty fun game to play.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
So tomarrow i am going to a nerd convention for the first time ever. my gf invited me and apparently she is cosplaying. i am not. anyway what should i expect at these places. i have heard they smell awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think the best part about TTT was sticking around with the same group for a couple matches because people who are good at the game make use of all the game's tricks when they end up as the traitor, it keeps things fresh. I was once chasing a guy who I saw with the traitor knife out and he went around a corner. I knew he was waiting right there because I'm not that dumb, but I had forgotten that you can also throw the knife with right click. Just as I started to back off he tossed it, rebounded it off the wall, and hit me square in the head. :allears:

• Locked thread