Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
As far as a penetrating oil, nothing beats kroil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

always be closing posted:

Seconding this. Nothing beats the Panther Piss.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

gimpsuitjones posted:

are manual tyre machines worth a poo poo for just doing the odd tyre?

I use this HF "portable" tire changer because I have to do my own tires (tire shops will destroy 10" rims).

http://www.harborfreight.com/manual-tire-changer-69686.html

If you don't want to bolt it to your garage floor, you can use a wooden platform instead. I put half an old solid-core door on some 2x8 skids and use carriage bolts from below to secure the stand. That way I can diassemble it when not in use, just stash the sled against the wall with the changer.

Might not be so bad on normal size wheels, but mounting 10" tires will make a beast out of/loving destroy you.

One Day Fish Sale
Aug 28, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tamir Lenk posted:

Might not be so bad on normal size wheels, but mounting 10" tires will make a beast out of/loving destroy you.

It sucks on normal (well, 15") rims as well, but you get the hang of it. Try to break beads using something else, as doesn't take much to bend it with the built-in bead breaker. For mounting, it's worth buying a jug of rubber lube from the auto parts store. Helps in sealing rusty or pitted beads too.

Keep in mind you'll still need to balance your wheels somehow unless you're mounting trailer tires or something else you don't care about.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

One Day Fish Sale posted:

It sucks on normal (well, 15") rims as well, but you get the hang of it. Try to break beads using something else, as doesn't take much to bend it with the built-in bead breaker. For mounting, it's worth buying a jug of rubber lube from the auto parts store. Helps in sealing rusty or pitted beads too.

Keep in mind you'll still need to balance your wheels somehow unless you're mounting trailer tires or something else you don't care about.

I use this one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/portable-wheel-balancer-39741.html

I also don't find breaking the bead much of a hassle. Stretching the new bead over the rim without damaging the bead in the process (which will cause a sidewall bulge - AMHIFK) is a bitch

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Tamir Lenk posted:

I use this HF "portable" tire changer because I have to do my own tires (tire shops will destroy 10" rims).

http://www.harborfreight.com/manual-tire-changer-69686.html

If you don't want to bolt it to your garage floor, you can use a wooden platform instead. I put half an old solid-core door on some 2x8 skids and use carriage bolts from below to secure the stand. That way I can diassemble it when not in use, just stash the sled against the wall with the changer.

I bought a Coats 10-10 for $50 and never need to dink around with this poo poo again.

Moral of the story: hit up your local facebook gearhead/auto/autoparts trade sell and swap group, post that you're looking to spend like 1-200 bucks on an old beater tire mount/dismount machine, see what shows up. I got like a dozen offers within 50mi of me for anything from $50 to $400. Ended up getting the $50 machine, then a machine with more rim diameter and width capability popped up for $300 so I got that one and am selling the $50 one to another AI goon at cost when he is down here next.

Last decade's pro tier tire equipment is usually rotting in the back rooms and storage conex boxes of every mom and pop repair shop in the country. No one bothers listing it, but if you post up, they'll be more than happy to offer it to you for "get it out of my way and buy me beer this quarter" pricing.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

kastein posted:

I bought a Coats 10-10 for $50 and never need to dink around with this poo poo again.

Moral of the story: hit up your local facebook gearhead/auto/autoparts trade sell and swap group, post that you're looking to spend like 1-200 bucks on an old beater tire mount/dismount machine, see what shows up. I got like a dozen offers within 50mi of me for anything from $50 to $400. Ended up getting the $50 machine, then a machine with more rim diameter and width capability popped up for $300 so I got that one and am selling the $50 one to another AI goon at cost when he is down here next.

Last decade's pro tier tire equipment is usually rotting in the back rooms and storage conex boxes of every mom and pop repair shop in the country. No one bothers listing it, but if you post up, they'll be more than happy to offer it to you for "get it out of my way and buy me beer this quarter" pricing.

As I understand it, those machines are not friendly to 10" rims. v0v

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Most likely not. I didn't realize you wanted to put new tires on your snowblower with it :haw:

I believe my machine goes down to 12" but not sure.

(Mini?)

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

always be closing posted:

If its for getting bolts loose I swear by freeze off.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

kastein posted:

Most likely not. I didn't realize you wanted to put new tires on your snowblower with it :haw:

I believe my machine goes down to 12" but not sure.

(Mini?)

Tiny wheels for a tiny car

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Any ozone generator recommendations? I'd like to use it in our house even if I need to go one room at a time, and I assume whatever I use for that would clear out my pickup and celica no problem. Is there a size chart or anything out there to use?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

StormDrain posted:

Any ozone generator recommendations? I'd like to use it in our house even if I need to go one room at a time, and I assume whatever I use for that would clear out my pickup and celica no problem. Is there a size chart or anything out there to use?

The Amazon one for like $50 from a seller named something like Ozone Forever works great and will absolutely do a room at a time.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

meatpimp posted:

The Amazon one for like $50 from a seller named something like Ozone Forever works great and will absolutely do a room at a time.

That's what I was looking at, the bare bones one?

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 31, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah, i have that one and it seems to work for how cheap it is.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
The word is Ozone inside a house is potentially toxic and to be avoided.
https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/ozone-generators-are-sold-air-cleaners

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Mercury Ballistic posted:

The word is Ozone inside a house is potentially toxic and to be avoided.
https://www.epa.gov/indoor-air-quality-iaq/ozone-generators-are-sold-air-cleaners

That article didn't seem relevant to my use though, it's not for me to run at a low level while I'm inside, but to run for a short stint on full blast while I'm away and the house is empty. My home has picked up a funk that I want to zap out of it, so I'll run the ozone generator on a timer with a fan and get out, then reoccupy later when it has dissipated.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
What kinda funk is it? If it's a mildew or mold smell I'd be a little wary and maybe get some professionals out to see if there aren't bigger issues. If it's cigarettes you probably need to replace carpet, put on new paint, etc.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

StormDrain posted:

That article didn't seem relevant to my use though, it's not for me to run at a low level while I'm inside, but to run for a short stint on full blast while I'm away and the house is empty. My home has picked up a funk that I want to zap out of it, so I'll run the ozone generator on a timer with a fan and get out, then reoccupy later when it has dissipated.

Yep, that's the application and the way to do it. You don't want to breathe the poo poo, but it dissipates rapidly. Try 30 minutes in a closed room, then shut it off, go back into the room after it has an hour or an hour and a half to dissipate, then open the windows if you can.

It can make a really big difference.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 1, 2016

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

meatpimp posted:

I can make a really big difference.

This is life's biggest lie, if we're being honest.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

literally a fish posted:

This is life's biggest lie, if we're being honest.

I'm master of life's biggest lies. And master of typos, as well. :eng99:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A handy-dandy trick and plenty of innuendo, courtesy of AvE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lqDpy45UqE

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

A handy-dandy trick and plenty of innuendo, courtesy of AvE.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lqDpy45UqE

His videos only get better.

In took news I need strut spring compressors. Can someone recommend a decent brand? Its either someone recomends a decent one or the snap on guy gets a little more of my soul.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Harbor Freight 18ga nailer / stapler verdict: It drives staples, but it also leaks air. Not total garbage, but I'll be replacing it with something nicer when it breaks.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Safety Dance posted:

Harbor Freight 18ga nailer / stapler verdict: It drives staples, but it also leaks air. Not total garbage, but I'll be replacing it with something nicer when it breaks.

Take a look at Shop Fox. Heavy, but they are inexpensive and work.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I'm in the market for a nice new toolbox for work. Preferably something I can wheel over to the bike I'm working on, with a workbench/top that I can hammer and spray contact cleaner on. I've had my eye on something like this, http://www.garage-organization.com/Product/Beta-Tools-C24SA-XL-7-R.aspx

I started looking at the Hazet trolley, which is around the same price. That led me to the Beta version which seemed like the same thing for half the price. That led me to the box linked above. Still more than I'd like to pay, but I like the top since I spend most of my days pulling carbs.

Any suggestions for similar boxes? Beta horror stories?

lwoodio
Apr 4, 2008

El Jebus posted:

A special "Anti-Tilt" safety system prevents opening more than one drawer at a time, and unbalancing the cabinet

gently caress off toolbox, I'll open as many drawers as I want, and only close the rest half way.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
Found this today, figured someone here might be interested: Stanley 5-drawer rolling tool chest w/ 68 pc tool set for $98, with free shipping

If I was further along in my home buying process, I would be ALL OVER this poo poo, even though I already have everything in the tool set. It'd be great to toss into a roadside repairs kit for the car though. Walmart (ugh) but I feel like they can't be making any money on this, especially with the free shipping, so I don't mind putting this up.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

They look like the crap I saw when I was cab shopping, absolute garbage, beer-can thin, I wouldn't buy it for my kids play-tools (too many sharp edges), barely sturdy enough for my wife's craft kit. I've seen them for as low as £60 locally, I might consider one at £30 max. I'd guess the tools that come with it are as bad. If returns are free go for it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I paid $30 shipped for that lovely Stanley box with the tools in it and I feel like walmart swindled me a little. When people ask to borrow things I point them at it so it has probably saved my hundreds of dollars though.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

They look like the crap I saw when I was cab shopping, absolute garbage, beer-can thin, I wouldn't buy it for my kids play-tools (too many sharp edges), barely sturdy enough for my wife's craft kit. I've seen them for as low as £60 locally, I might consider one at £30 max. I'd guess the tools that come with it are as bad. If returns are free go for it.
Yeah, I have some of the cheapo Halfords ones, and the only reason I'm happy enough is that I got them half price, they arrived damaged, and they let me keep them with half off that.

If I were in and out them every five minutes they'd drive me up the wall, but for "secondary" storage, at 25% of the list price, they're ok.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Cakefool posted:

The tools look like wobbly crap that are worse than useless

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.
There aren't many options for cheap toolboxes that aren't poo poo. The 44" HF box gets great reviews and can get down to $300 with coupons. Throw some better paint on it and the people at work might not make fun of you too much.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

oxbrain posted:

There aren't many options for cheap toolboxes that aren't poo poo. The 44" HF box gets great reviews and can get down to $300 with coupons. Throw some better paint on it and the people at work might not make fun of you too much.

I just covered it with stickers from all the company's parts I've used. And others purchased on travels. And I never once had a person make fun of it at the two different shops it's been in. It now has the side locker and side drawer cabinet. It holds a lot and the only complaint I have was the chrome guards for the drawers aren't attached well at all and fall off.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've had my 44" HF tool box for 2 years now without issue. My poor thing is easily overloaded and it's been a champ. I've even moved with it once and it survived the trip just fine.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

meatpimp posted:

Trip report, set it up in the back room where the washer dryer and cat litter boxes live, room smells nice and ozoney, like I shot some ozium in there, and the adjoining rooms actually smell clear too. A room I sealed up as a control smells awful by comparison. And my cat hates being forced outside for two hours. Currently shocking the Celica and International, 15 minutes each.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Heleta just sent me an email with a coupon for 10% off. Stock up on cutting discs and abrasives!

June2016 is the coupon code.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Popping in to provide a heads up, HF strap wrenches are not very good. I stripped the cabling out of them trying to hold a shock piston in place while tightening the top screw to 30ft*lbs.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I was going to do my brakes this weekend, but just realized that I don't have an M14 triple square socket to use. What's a good, relatively inexpensive one I can get through Amazon Prime? I see individual ones in the $9-15 range and sets in the $20-30 range. At those prices, I'd lean towards getting a set in case I need another one in the future.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
For the triple square just get the best set on Amazon. I think vim tools makes a decent set. I am spoiled and bought a blue point stubby set that are amazing for alignment work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
IIRC, the Hazett set is the VW 'dealer special tool' set.