Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

It wouldn't be that difficult for the Apple TV to integrate an Alexa-competitor in the next update, right? My growing theory is that iOS 10/iPhone 7 will introduce a Siri that is "better" than Alexa and essentially axe the need for one if made possible to hook up speakers directly to the Apple TV without needing to be on the correct input on your TV, but also working while in the correct input. The Apple TV integration sounds more complex than when I had originally thought of the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't own an Echo, but I don't know what "better" looks like. Apple's ability to create useful AI assistants is always somewhat going to be hampered by it's refusal to store personal data remotely. If you want a voice to read Wikipedia articles to you aloud when prompted or talk about when the sports game starts that's simple enough. If you want stuff like "when is Barbara's wedding?" or "what's traffic like to the airport?" then that requires change. Even just adding the stuff the iPhone has now would require adding location detection etc to the ATV.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think Apple TV would need its own speaker just to provide feedback. Waiting for speakers/TV/receiver to power on just to ask the weather would be pretty miserable.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Craptacular! posted:

Even just adding the stuff the iPhone has now would require adding location detection etc to the ATV.

Having people enter their location once, likely by speaking their city or full address aloud, is probably not too onerous. ATVs don't move around as much as iPhones.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Even just adding the stuff the iPhone has now would require adding location detection etc to the ATV.
It runs iOS and has Wi-Fi. Core Location should be trivial to use assuming Apple exposes the API to developers. I have not looked at development for the new Apple TV yet, but there aren't really any technical reasons why an Apple TV can't determine your location with same accuracy as, say, a GPS-less iPad or MacBook.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I *think* the Regal Cinema app used location to find my local theater rather than needing a zip.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Laserface posted:

Is there a way to un-pair or prevent my iMacs silver remote from controlling the Apple TV? I use the silver remote to control the music/volume but it always turns on my Apple TV.

cover the ir port? the new remote is bluetooth

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Perplx posted:

cover the ir port? the new remote is bluetooth

Well, we can't be talking about the new Apple TV, since that remote is BT and you have to specifically pair them.

The older Apple TVs allowed you to lock it to a single Apple remote, so that only that remote could control it.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201254

However, if you're using a universal remote like a Harmony or something, you're poo poo out of luck.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

flosofl posted:

Well, we can't be talking about the new Apple TV, since that remote is BT and you have to specifically pair them.

It has an IR receiver.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CaptainCaveman posted:

It has an IR receiver.

Well, poo poo. My bad. I had checked mine and there's no way to lock it out on the ATV4. I just assumed because of that not being in options and the fact the controller it comes with is BT.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
So I just had some of that YouTube slowdown you folks were talking about. Not as bad as some of you but still de synced audio and video. A simple quitting of all apps seemed to help but why the gently caress is this thing getting worse and worse?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

flosofl posted:

Well, poo poo. My bad. I had checked mine and there's no way to lock it out on the ATV4. I just assumed because of that not being in options and the fact the controller it comes with is BT.

You can still pair Apple remotes to macs. https://support.apple.com/kb/PH19087?locale=en_US Do that and your remote will control only the Mac and not the ATV.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

kefkafloyd posted:

You can still pair Apple remotes to macs. https://support.apple.com/kb/PH19087?locale=en_US Do that and your remote will control only the Mac and not the ATV.

Well I did this but it still functions on the Apple TV (v4)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah isn't the lock for the reverse - it tells the machine to only accept instruction from the remote it's paired with, not tells the remote to only control that hardware.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Ah, I had it backwards then! My apologies.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

From the description, I thought we might be getting new screensavers every month but it just seems to be going back and forth between about 5 different ones. It's a shame, because they're really impressive (especially the top down cityscape) but I can't understand it taking a while to build a library up. I'm already as bored of them as I am the old apple animals screensaver though, and I'm now in the club of being pissed they don't have the ability to put your Flickr photos in. Even though that never worked that well anyway.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

EL BROMANCE posted:

From the description, I thought we might be getting new screensavers every month but it just seems to be going back and forth between about 5 different ones. It's a shame, because they're really impressive (especially the top down cityscape) but I can't understand it taking a while to build a library up. I'm already as bored of them as I am the old apple animals screensaver though, and I'm now in the club of being pissed they don't have the ability to put your Flickr photos in. Even though that never worked that well anyway.

Can you still use an iCloud shared photo library as your screen saver?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think that's an option, but I know Flickr are actively trying to bring it back. If they fail then I guess I'll move over to that, but my iCloud is full enough as it is and means having to go through a ton of files again.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Somehow my 32gb atv is full by having to a handful of to on demand apps and plex installed.

I'm guessing it's some kind of cache for plex but drat.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

That doesn't sound right at all.

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king
I would guess that full means “I checked storage in settings and it was being used” rather than some sort of warning about being full. The former should be true, as there's no reason to have unused storage when it could be used as a cache that can be emptied on demand. Much like those articles telling you to stream a big movie to “free up space” on iOS, when all that does is remove caches that would be automatically cleared when required anyway.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

No it popped up on boot saying I had no free space left. Plex reported only 12mb used but nothing else on there uses any significant amount of data.

I had crosstown road and pako installed at 100mb each or thereabouts and that's it. I am assuming something had a cache and it wasn't being reported as part of the normal storage for that app and since I use plex the most I figured it was that.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I've ditched pay TV and turned my Apple TV into my main media center by way of a HDHomeRun and the tvOS Channels app (cross-posted from the Cable Cutting thread)

I'll preface my situation with the disclaimer that my media needs may not meet anyone else's. It works for what I need it to. What I needed was the broadcast networks for live TV, DVR functionality, plenty of children's content, and a way to watch my own media collection.

My setup is:
-a 4th-Gen Apple TV
-an old antenna in my attic
-a HDHomeRun Connect
-the Channels tvOS app
-a Netflix sub
-the Plex tvOS app

The Channels app can pick up the HDHomeRun's signal and display the broadcast networks. It doesn't have a channel guide, per se, but it will arrange each network you favorite as a separate app/station/channel, show what's currently on each channel, and will advise what's coming up next (and how soon). It also buffers the channel (90 minutes max) your watching so you can mildly timeshift. It doesn't have a true DVR function (yet) but this lets you pause, rewind, and skip ahead.

The developers have really made a first class tvOS app. It's responsive, fast, and uses the most of the platform. It even smartly supports the Top Row function (shows your favorited broadcast networks and what they're currently airing) and makes shaking the remote mute audio (something I didn't even know I missed about using the remote that I now wish was standard). I did sacrifice DVR functionality but the Channels developers are working on a DVR solution (It's not in beta yet so it could be vaporware. But they're actively working on it so hope springs eternal).

Netflix serves up the children's content we needed and Plex handles the local media (substitute and/or add Hulu or Amazon or your streaming service of choice as well as Emby or whatever else is offered to manage local media collections).

As a bonus, if you've got someone with a pay-tv subscription and if you can get them to fork over their credentials, you can access pay-tv content via the cable channel apps from the tvOS app store. If it appeals to you, Food Network even offers live streaming of their network via their app (a couple of others do too) if you've logged in with a pay-tv subscription. And there's always Sling airplayed to the TV if you must have some cable networks.

The total costs were $150 for the Apple TV, $90 for the HDHomeRun Connect, and $25 for the Channels app, all one time costs. Then there's Netflix for $10 a month. So $265 all together. At my previous promo price of $71 a month for Dish, I'll break even in 4 months. But I was already in on the Apple TV and Netflix well before this and the antenna was left in the attic by a previous owner. So I'll make up for it even sooner.

I really wanted an all-in-one solution that revolved around the Apple TV and this is about as close as I can get without descending into home-brew solutions. It's amazing to be able to go from live tv to YouTube to Netflix to Plex to games with a push of one button and a swipe.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I haven't ditched pay TV, and do the same thing with all that and a Windows Media Center DVR recording things and then automatically converting them and putting them on the Plex server.

Channels DVR is likely vaporware, but if you aren't going to use Windows Media Center for reasons (it's abandoned software, it requires using Windows 7/8 since it was removed in Windows 10, etc) the people behind HDHomerun already have a basic DVR backend with aviewer app that is run inside Kodi. Go sideload Kodi onto your Apple TV and you're good to go.

I'm using Windows Media Center still mostly because I still want cable, and some channels are encrypted with DRM that only Windows Media Center (and the PS3 lol) are able to decrypt. Here it's Discovery Channel and WGN America, and we can't lose that because SOMEBODY in this house watches every Discovery Channel reality show about people working in a profession and saying "well..." a lot.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 5, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm pretty sure the HDHomeRun DVR software decrypts that just fine.

The software itself is pretty bad, though, and really ugly.

It's a total MS move to abandon and drop support for software that works well and is reasonably attractive (albeit out of place in a post-Metro world).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The Channels guys were supporting the HDHomeRun DVR stuff until recently. Sounded like the HDHR stuff isn't going well.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Endless Mike posted:

I'm pretty sure the HDHomeRun DVR software decrypts that just fine.
I had heard it didn't decrypt CableCard DRM. This is because getting certified requires paying other fees to CableLabs etc.

WMC was abandoned because it was a Bill Gates personal project (I think it spun out of the software used for his house.) DirecTV pulled their adapter support for it and the various forces of TV (networks, carriers, etc) probably leaned on Microsoft to just stop enabling people to own their own cable DVRs and instead go all-in to authorized streaming services on the Xbox One.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Eh. AppleTV with xFinity. Every show on the FoxNow app works. They load pretty quickly too. However when I click the icon for Last Man on Earth it goes to loading and doesn't do poo poo.

I have tried the usual, power cycling the AppleTV and Comcast router. And googleage. If goons can't help, is this an Apple issue, an XFinity issue, or FoxNow issue? Thank you. :)

e: I haven't tried a full reset of the Apple TV because my girlfriend is scared she won't have all the info to login again. But I don't think that's it since New Girl works fine.

e2: Oh yeah I've definitely logged in and out a bunch. Have to go to FoxNow/activate pretty regularly for auth. Have specifically done it with the app to try to fix that. I want to know what happens to Tandy and the gang.

fartzone_42069 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 17, 2016

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I've had a lot of issues where apps I haven't used in a long time that authorize with a cable subscription (CNN, NBC, etc) de-authorize if I haven't used them in a while. I try to load a show and either get kicked back to the menu or sometimes get a "no authz" error.

So try logging out and back in again?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hate it when ten of the bloody things all deauth at the same time.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Cable-provider log-in apps almost aren't worth using because they forget your information constantly.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ok whatever firmware update I just got wiped all my apps. I had to re-down load everything and re-activate all the tv ones. Annoying.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 31, 2016

I Am Crake
Mar 31, 2010

There is so much beautiful in the world if you look around. You are only looking at the dirt under your feet, Jimmy. It's not good for you.
No word on when Siri will be supported outside of the 8 languages that are available now? I feel like I'm missing a pretty big part of the functionality.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It's not a big deal. I haven't used Siri once, because Plex doesn't support it.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ok whatever firmware update I just got wiped all my apps. I had to redone load everything and re-activate all the tv ones. Annoying.

Oh so that's what that was.

I Am Crake posted:

No word on when Siri will be supported outside of the 8 languages that are available now? I feel like I'm missing a pretty big part of the functionality.

Siri is one of those things that is really nice when a use case comes up for it. However, that's pretty limited until they open it up more (to apps like Plex).

Dictation is the big thing I'd miss out on now if I didn't have it. Is dictation language-limited?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I haven't actually used Siri on aTV yet, only the cool voice-search thing they integrated into YouTube.

I found that I am not even remotely interested in other apps and things and I just use my new aTV like my old aTV, except I have a native Plex client. I guess that actually makes it a success in my eyes. It just blended into my entertainment system seamlessly and I forgot it exists.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's pretty good if you have a bunch of subscription channels that offer you films and shows on their apps and it's neat they'll steer you towards these other paid iTunes ones.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Finally broke down and updated to the new Apple TV. I can see the hate on some of the apps, like Netflix, being a bit harder to browse than the older app. But overall, I like it, I think it's a solid update and I'm very glad I waited a bit so most of the bugs are out. End of the day, more apps so it works for me.

Random thought: you can side load apps on the Apple TV, like how they have the way of putting a ROM emulator on. Any way I could side load the Amazon iPad app onto it?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Duckman2008 posted:

Random thought: you can side load apps on the Apple TV, like how they have the way of putting a ROM emulator on. Any way I could side load the Amazon iPad app onto it?

Not without the source, and even then you'd have to remove its use of UIWebView at the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Thwomp posted:

Siri is one of those things that is really nice when a use case comes up for it. However, that's pretty limited until they open it up more (to apps like Plex).

Dictation is the big thing I'd miss out on now if I didn't have it. Is dictation language-limited?

As I understand it, it's going to be very difficult to open up Siri to Plex because of the way it works on ATV. Apple keeps a database of a bunch of shows and movies, and Siri checks that database when you use her to search. It's up to all the services (Netflix, Hulu, HBOGO, etc) to submit their shows/movies to this database, and keep up with which ones are on which services. Because Plex can have so many weird obscure shows/movies in it, it's not really feasible for them to submit them all to Apple.

However, the easy workaround for this (and for being able to use Siri to search other apps where it's not feasible to add all the content to a database like YouTube or FunnyorDie) is to make it so I can ask "Siri, search Plex/YouTube/etc for King of the Hill", and it automatically opens to that app's search page and fills in the search term using dictation. This seems like it would be relatively easy to do, so hopefully they implement it soon!