Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

turdbucket fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jul 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

MarcusSA posted:

Is this the place where we can talk about Romancing SaGa 2? Because yeah this game is kicking my rear end...

You bought a game with SaGa, specific caps, in the title. This is like going to a gun range and knowingly sitting next to the guy with an illegally-modded fully automatic assault rifle and complaining that you keep getting tagged with hot brass

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

You bought a game with SaGa, specific caps, in the title. This is like going to a gun range and knowingly sitting next to the guy with an illegally-modded fully automatic assault rifle and complaining that you keep getting tagged with hot brass

Well I thought I knew what I was getting myself into...

Clearly I had no idea.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

So uh, at what point in FFX is it appropriate for me to begin sidequesting? I tried doing stuff after getting the airship but I keep running into the dark Aeons who just deal all nines to everyone at the moment (and most of them break the damage limit while doing so just to insult me), so that's not happening. Is this like the Tales games where I'm supposed to march up to the final boss only to then very pointedly not fight it, and instead leave to do stuff? It does seem like most of the bonus content will be harder than anything on the main path so that would make sense.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Amppelix posted:

So uh, at what point in FFX is it appropriate for me to begin sidequesting? I tried doing stuff after getting the airship but I keep running into the dark Aeons who just deal all nines to everyone at the moment (and most of them break the damage limit while doing so just to insult me), so that's not happening. Is this like the Tales games where I'm supposed to march up to the final boss only to then very pointedly not fight it, and instead leave to do stuff? It does seem like most of the bonus content will be harder than anything on the main path so that would make sense.

You're at the right spot, there's just a couple of dark aeons scattered about who will totally screw up your day if you go down the wrong path.

Do yourself a favor and look up where they are. (Also, look up the airship coordinate things because I honestly don't know where those locations are hidden in the game, if at all.) They're an addition for the EU/International/HD release so they're all kind of crammed in normal places. Some are more avoidable than others, but you'll really just want to save often at this point.

Also worth mentioning there is no real "point of no return" in FFX. There's a final save point before you hit the endgame but the whole of the world is still open to you even when you're at that save. The last dungeon has some of the best enemies for beefing up, so if you feel stuck just progress in the story a bit.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

You're at the right point for sidequesting I think. If there's a dark aeon blocking your path your best bet is to pay Yojimbo to kill them in one hit with Zanmato. You won't be able to put up a legitimate fight against them unless you do lots of grindy stuff with the monster arena (+ if you do that it'll make you way overpowered to the point where you'll one hit the final boss)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Eh, the Dark Aeons are kind of different from most optional super bosses since they were added in the second version of the game and sometimes crop up in very inconvenient places, like there's two items in Besaid that should be easy to get but thanks to Dark Valefor ending up where it does they're a pain in the rear end if you don't back track at a specific time. Honestly a lot of the side stuff in FFX is so awful and annoying to do I'd beeline straight for finishing the game.
Barring that, use a guide to see what you can get and wether it's worth it, since you have the airship you can do pretty much anything that doesn't involve Dark Aeons.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Help Im Alive posted:

You're at the right point for sidequesting I think. If there's a dark aeon blocking your path your best bet is to pay Yojimbo to kill them in one hit with Zanmato. You won't be able to put up a legitimate fight against them unless you do lots of grindy stuff with the monster arena (+ if you do that it'll make you way overpowered to the point where you'll one hit the final boss)

Stomping the final boss is what makes it fun though! :haw:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The White Dragon posted:

But what about The Magical Realms of Tir na Nog: Escape from Necron 7 - The Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie - Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah, you can really tell how tacked on the Dark Aeons are. I was extremely confused when visiting Mushroom Rock Road, and suddenly these three weird monsters just kinda show up with no dialogue, engage me in battle and proceed to destroy me to tiny little pieces literally before I can even make a move.

And I was afraid of the case being that the only real answer to the big bosses is to grind grind grind. Oh well, I'm not averse to grinding and the PC version does have the very handy 4x speed option so I think I'll get around to it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Dark Aeons require serious loving grinding, there's a reason that achievement for maxing out everyone's sphere grid is there. Also look up a grinding guide there's more efficient ways than just killing normal enemies forever.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's a lot of grinding. Like, double your total play time a lot.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Alternatively you can get Yojimbo, pay him a bunch of money and he'll one shot them for you

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So cheat the gently caress out of it if your on pc, pretty much.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Alternatively you can get Yojimbo, pay him a bunch of money and he'll one shot them for you

I'm not sure that's how it works. I remember when I played FFX with a Gameshark forever ago and had infinite gil and even when I gave him a ton of cash he didn't use Zamnato.

There's all sorts of crazy mechanics and factors to it. I glanced at the Gamefaqs guide once but then I stopped reading it because gently caress that poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He has like a 'friendship' level based on how much you use him and how much money you've already paid or something obscure like that?
Anyway there are ways to game the system so you can get Zanmato for relatively cheap 100% of the time, just look on YouTube.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I used Yojimbo exactly two times in my last run of FFX + got Zanmato both times from paying 6000 gil after using Yuna's Grand Summon

Maybe I just got lucky

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think I read that he has a much higher chance to use it if his overdrive is full

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah if you summon on overdrive and then just give him a lot of Gil it seems to work pretty consistently

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

I like doing silly poo poo and I managed to get every single celestial weapon powered but gently caress the dark aeons

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Also gently caress trying to max out the entire sphere grid with everyone. It took me roughly 200 hours of grinding it for me to realize I wasn't having fun, and then I just beat the game

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's not even worthwhile, TBH.

FFX's postgame and optional battles are among its least engaging pieces of content. To unlock the monster arena battles you have to go and catch X amount of monsters all over the world which is actually fun and interesting, since you get great prizes and bonus bosses for doing this. But the bosses are just so super-powered that you need to be at max level to even stand in the ring with them and most of them then don't really demand complex strategy or a knowledge of the game's mechanics, they just require high enough numbers.

Contrast to a game like Digital Devil Saga, where the bonus bosses were very powerful and had high stats, but you couldn't beat them with raw power, you had to mitigate the damage they dealt and find ways to disperse their powerful attacks. There's a lot of strategy and thought and each one requires a great knowledge of the game's mechanics, knowing which skills to load up with, building an idea unit...

There's really no satisfaction to beating an Original Creation in FFX 'cause you have to grind so much to even do so and in the end, the fight isn't very interesting.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Amppelix posted:

Get Yuna's Nirvana fully powered up. This is really easy, and by far the easiest celestial weapon to power up, as long as you got the destruction sphere treasure from every temple. If you have that, you can literally beat the rest of the story with just Yuna.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Fister Roboto posted:

Get Yuna's Nirvana fully powered up. This is really easy, and by far the easiest celestial weapon to power up, as long as you got the destruction sphere treasure from every temple. If you have that, you can literally beat the rest of the story with just Yuna.

Fun fact: I just finished FFX for the first time, and Yuna's is the only one I didn't get powered up.

Because they put two dark aeons in the way of where you need to go if you missed the sphere treasures the first time through. :shepicide:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Seriously Yuna is a god drat beast once you can power up Nirvana. She gets a ton of speed and even more magic than Lulu, and then her grid portion leads straight into Rikku's, which means even more speed and magic. If you really want to embarrass the post-Yunalesca bosses, teach her Haste, Mental Break, Focus, Doublecast, and Flare. She will literally be able to solo everything.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Just take her down a physical path and have Bahamut punch things to death.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

theres a yojiimbo faq that explains the math if you want to make sure you are paying him the minimum amount for a certain chance at zanmato

if you just summon him consistently as soon as you get him and pay him 2 gil per attack then you can get his friendship rate high enough by endgame though that you dont have to pay him much for a high chance and then you can just savescum the big bosses

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The game showers you with so much money that I see little reason to pay less than like 500 gil to him on any summon. Also, the chances only increase every time you double your money so if you want to be really efficient you can look up the breakpoints and pay only in those. I think they were powers of 2, so 256 will be better than anything from 128-255, and so on.

voltcatfish posted:

Also gently caress trying to max out the entire sphere grid with everyone. It took me roughly 200 hours of grinding it for me to realize I wasn't having fun, and then I just beat the game

Yikes, that's a large amount of hours. Were you using the method all the guides recommend?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yojimbo can't dismiss himself for giving him a meager amount of money right

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Amppelix posted:

Yikes, that's a large amount of hours. Were you using the method all the guides recommend?

On PS3 I got the platinum with 99 hours on my file I think (I had reached the final dungeon somewhere around the 50-55 mark) It's a pretty long grind. I think X-2's trophies took 65 hours

I think the thing that surprised me the most was how long you spend just on the sphere grid screen. Like you'll do the tonberry trick to get 99 sphere levels and then just spending those levels takes forever

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Baal posted:

No, but it's worth paying him at least 1024 and preferably 8200 or so.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They should've made a mechanic where he actually leaves the summon pool if you pay him 1 gil

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Baal posted:

Yes, if you choose the pay option and pay nothing. He also hates that way more than anything else you can do, it reduces your compatibility like a lot.

I'm getting all this from here by the way http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/643146-final-fantasy-x-x-2-hd-remaster/faqs/69037?page=13#section479

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Well i assumed meager was over 0 lol

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So it's been forever since I played FFVII and even when I did, I never bothered with Enemy Skill because I just didn't see the point. However in the multiple difficulty mods I've played of VII, Enemy Skill has been a lifesaver.

However, there is one aspect of ES I think was weakened from vanilla VII but I'm not sure. I could swear I saw an LP where a player just used Magic Hammer on all the bosses and totally neutered them. The one in particular I 'm thinking of is the two-headed dragon at the top of the ice cliffs. Was it actually that good in the original or am I misremembering? All I know is that it is one of the things the mods always make pretty much worthless.

Also in my last run of VII I was really irritated when eventually I just "couldn't Sense" anything. I figured this was some intentional design, to keep things difficult. But nope - according to one modder I was just reading, it is literally impossible to display a HP value over 65,000 or else it overflows and shows a wrong figure. What the gently caress. Good design, Square. You made a glitch/bug/whatever that even modders can't do anything about.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yuna's the single best character in FFX because there's no wrong way to build her. You could stick her in her traditional healer role. Or make her a magical beast. Or take her down Strength and watch your Aeons destroy everything.

Rikku and Wakka break the game, but Yuna needs the least specific effort.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

NikkolasKing posted:

So it's been forever since I played FFVII and even when I did, I never bothered with Enemy Skill because I just didn't see the point. However in the multiple difficulty mods I've played of VII, Enemy Skill has been a lifesaver.

However, there is one aspect of ES I think was weakened from vanilla VII but I'm not sure. I could swear I saw an LP where a player just used Magic Hammer on all the bosses and totally neutered them. The one in particular I 'm thinking of is the two-headed dragon at the top of the ice cliffs. Was it actually that good in the original or am I misremembering? All I know is that it is one of the things the mods always make pretty much worthless.

If nothing else, I'm pretty sure Magic Hammer can normally be used on bosses, if that's something the difficulty mods are changing.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Also in my last run of VII I was really irritated when eventually I just "couldn't Sense" anything. I figured this was some intentional design, to keep things difficult. But nope - according to one modder I was just reading, it is literally impossible to display a HP value over 65,000 or else it overflows and shows a wrong figure. What the gently caress. Good design, Square. You made a glitch/bug/whatever that even modders can't do anything about.

Two things -

65535 is the maximum value you can store in a... 16-bit? variable. They likely kept it to a single figure for memory constraints. It could also be good design though - anything with more HP than that is a big deal!

IIRC Schizo is magic-heavy, that's why bringing the Hammer down is so effective. Like every other FF game, good skills are situational.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah, magic hammer was secretly pretty fantastic. It drained 100 MP per use, and most enemies had less than that. Even a lot of tough bosses only have like 200 MP, and use MP for a lot of their special abilities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

The White Dragon posted:

Don't diss the burp guns. They are really loving fun to use, in a private setting.