Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Fuckin' thing sucked.

I mean, it was kinda okay at parts but it was like a fuckin' Looney Tunes cartoon or some poo poo. Tonally it was flip flopping so violently I thought my neck was going to snap off. Jesse's actor mumbles everything, Tulip makes no sense, Cassidy's okay.

seth rogan stop ruining comic book franchises you fat gently caress

Preacher was dope and deserved better. Only good part was Arseface's mask thingy looks right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
ok

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
wow, a big man with big opinions. Lets see how you handle adversity of someone disagreeing with you. Not me bec I haven't seen it, but someone else is sure to provide a differing opinion and that's when we'll see what you're really made of.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

JiveHonky posted:

wow, a big man with big opinions. Lets see how you handle adversity of someone disagreeing with you. Not me bec I haven't seen it, but someone else is sure to provide a differing opinion and that's when we'll see what you're really made of.

that sounds scary i'm just gonna go to sleep goodnight jivehonky

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
I thought it was pretty good, but I never read or knew about our heard of the comic strip because I'm an adult. The guy who plays the preacher is pretty sexy.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
have you actually read preacher recently?

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
im more of a screecher

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
EEEEEEE EEEEEE eeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEE

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I mean, it was kinda okay at parts but it was like a fuckin' Looney Tunes cartoon or some poo poo.

preacher is basically an X-rated looney tunes comic book 75% of the time

Turdo
Jun 15, 2012

They tried to fit a whole lot of poo poo in that pilot.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

PBS Newshour posted:

have you actually read preacher recently?

lol they're still making new editions of that poo poo?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Weird way to introduce Irish vampire guy. Was that in the comic cuz I don't remember no James Bond airplane action

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

8-Bit Scholar posted:

that sounds scary i'm just gonna go to sleep goodnight jivehonky

goodnight Pamela. Sleep tight!

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
it looks like dumb network tv trash, op.

*watches billionth seinfeld rerun*

Turdo
Jun 15, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

Weird way to introduce Irish vampire guy. Was that in the comic cuz I don't remember no James Bond airplane action

Naw they conflated like every plot line and character so they would all be in that town.

Turdo fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 4, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Sheep-Goats posted:

lol they're still making new editions of that poo poo?

i meant "have you read it recently" in the sense preacher wasn't really dope and doesn't deserve better.

i haven't seen the pilot but i bet the shows ends up better than preacher.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I've never read Preacher (Or any comics really) but I found the pilot fun and enjoyable, but I'm a fan of watching Ruth Negga do anything, and Joe Gilgun is an amazingly talented rear end in a top hat on screen.

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

PCOS Bill posted:

I've never read Preacher (Or any comics really) but I found the pilot fun and enjoyable, but I'm a fan of watching Ruth Negga do anything, and Joe Gilgun is an amazingly talented rear end in a top hat on screen.

Ruth Negga is the bomb.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Also I tried to watch it streaming on amcs site so they could get me click money but man it was like trying to stream South Park Jesus vs Santa on real player

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PBS Newshour posted:

i haven't seen the pilot but i bet the shows ends up better than preacher.

So it's a reverse walking dead

Lemme know if preacher features a story arc where preacher yells ITS US OR THEM

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The real secret is that Preacher the comic isn't very good

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
chew is getting a tv adaptation

so at least we know exactly when tv is going to hit its lowest point

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Siljmonster posted:

So it's a reverse walking dead

Lemme know if preacher features a story arc where preacher yells ITS US OR THEM

the walking dead comic is actually worse than the tv show, that is what is amazing about the comic

kirkman is seriously one of the shitest writers out there who somehow remains successful

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Jun 4, 2016

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Preacher will suck until the Saint of Killers spinoff miniseries gets made.

love my preemies!
Sep 26, 2004

I bet someone said "there's a war coming" there's always a war coming :nallears:

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
did u just use the word 'tonally' in ur review of a seth rogan superhero show on cable??

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
do you know what does walking dead better than walking dead?

yeah, that is an archie comic. jughead's dog gets run over by reggie and dies. jughead can't take it so he brings it to sabrina the teenage witch asking her to bring the dog back to life. she does, the dog comes back wrong, bites jughead, and he starts infecting everybody.

the comic is played completely straight, has better characterization than the walking dead, and way way better art

here is archie killing his dad with a shovel

there is stuff with dogs in it that made me cry

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
its totally alright u know if u just say it completely sucks, or totally blows - whatever aligns with ur preferences i guess, then call it a day (and a piece of garbage on the way out)

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
just as long as betty and veronica are there and ready to show rear end i'm in

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Iron Prince posted:

just as long as betty and veronica are there and ready to show rear end i'm in

Archie Vs Predator is going to have what you want more likely

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Here's my impression of TV IV discussing this show over the next several years.

"This is the worst show ever made, anyone who likes it is a literal retard." *watches every loving episode*

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I think it is some sort of gimmick to get you to watch animated hijinks of food in theatres soon!

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

The pilot's tone is all over the loving shop, but it's key to look at it in terms of the source material. It's a big serious book about a cowboy going out to find God Almighty and take him to task, but it's also a book full of Big Chocolate Fists and cokehead angels and all kinds of goofy bullshit. This translates to the screen in a really weird way, but it was a weird book. The parts that worked worked really well, I'm not sold, I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes from here.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
Adapting this to TV is almost like adapting Metal Gear Solid to TV. Some thing's are gonna be different, just make peace with it.

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

PBS Newshour posted:

Archie Vs Predator is going to have what you want more likely

im in wheres the sign up sheet

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What a poo poo rear end OP

Dumps a turd thread in GBS and goes to sleep like a lil babby

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Iron Prince posted:

im in wheres the sign up sheet

its like 10-15 bucks if you want the hardcover on amazon but its not hard to find in oher ways hint hint wink wink

Fishy Joe
Apr 19, 2005
Eat at Fishy Joe's
was preacher the one where the starfaced man finds out he loves buttstuff? also maybe his gemitals got ate off

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Cowboy Pope posted:

The pilot's tone is all over the loving shop, but it's key to look at it in terms of the source material. It's a big serious book about a cowboy going out to find God Almighty and take him to task, but it's also a book full of Big Chocolate Fists and cokehead angels and all kinds of goofy bullshit. This translates to the screen in a really weird way, but it was a weird book. The parts that worked worked really well, I'm not sold, I'm looking forward to seeing how it goes from here.

Yeah, adapting Preacher was always going to be kind of tricky, because in comics you can just sort of get away with more...outlandish things...than you really can in real life. At least they are putting effort into giving this adaptation it's own identity, but by the end of the Pilot, I didn't feel like they got the "mood" that Preacher has. Which is a real shame because they even got the great Willie Nelson version of "It Was the Time of the Preacher" for the start.

Maybe the second episode will be easier to enjoy now that I've already gotten gobsmacked by all the changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
You read comics op. You're a loving idiot that enjoys lowest common denominator bullshit. It should surprise no one when a lovely work of fiction turns into a lovely television show.

• Locked thread