Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Sure is a lot of trouble to go through in order to still gently caress relatives, just not blood-related.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Not to point fingers, but I sure do see a lot of stuff in threads about tlc (this one especially) where the poster preambles his thoughts with: "oh yeah, well, my wife/gf/whatev watches this a lot so I've seen a bunch". I feel if anyone I knew watched this show more than a time or two it would be impossible to not make fun of them.

To be clear though, Mormon-bashing is good and correct.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tlc knows what they're airing. These shows are modern freak shows and they present their subjects as such.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

The Learning Channel knows what they're airing. These shows are modern freak shows and they present their subjects as such.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

phasmid posted:

Not to point fingers, but I sure do see a lot of stuff in threads about tlc (this one especially) where the poster preambles his thoughts with: "oh yeah, well, my wife/gf/whatev watches this a lot so I've seen a bunch". I feel if anyone I knew watched this show more than a time or two it would be impossible to not make fun of them.

Please don't make fun of me on the internet. I'm a millenial and I don't know if I can take it. :ohdear:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

phasmid posted:

Not to point fingers, but I sure do see a lot of stuff in threads about tlc (this one especially) where the poster preambles his thoughts with: "oh yeah, well, my wife/gf/whatev watches this a lot so I've seen a bunch".

I unironically enjoyed watching Sister Wives. There's something comforting about it, how this polygamist family are just like any other normal family of unimportant dullards. It's just magnified because there's four marriages around Kodi and a thick cloud of politics between those women, and it really showcases how horribly lovely polygamy is. They're unhappy, they're trapped by their convictions that this situation is godly and correct, and it's just really hilarious to watch the show try to spin a very minor event into an episode-shaping cataclysm, like commercial teasers being all "YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT KODI SAYS TO HIS DAUGHTER" and it's just him being really awkward about how kissing outside of marriage can destroy your soul while the girl and her boyfriend look like they want to kill themselves :v:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

phasmid posted:

I fully admit that I get sucked in to this poo poo while my wife watches and I'm playing Rocket League in the same room, but goddammit is Sister Wives terrible. Just all around bad.

90 Day Fiancée is a more enjoyable trainwreck, BECAUSE it's a trainwreck.

gently caress this channel. It's watchable because it's overtly terrible.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah. I never got as much of a whitewashing vibe on Sister Wives as i did JIm Bob Express. SW makes it fully aware that dude ran from polygamist hate to las vegas and bought 3 super lovely mcmansions adjacent on a cul-de-sac to start his weird lil compound and everybodys super hot all the time and sweaty and just looks like theyre about to turn into a potato chip

Also please don't make fun of me on the internet oh nooo. haha you sat with your wife and watched some of her bad tv? you loving assbag. only the finest naruto dubs for me sir

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Sure is a lot of trouble to go through in order to still gently caress relatives, just not blood-related.

All of the taboo none of the forbidden fruit

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

We shouldve stopped the mormons when we had the chance

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
I'd rather have a mormon for a neighbor than a goon sorry baby

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Zahgaegun posted:

I'd rather have a mormon for a neighbor than a goon sorry baby

Lowtax was born on Kolob. What now?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
lol wrong thread.

skaboomizzy fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 2, 2016

glowstick party tonight
Oct 4, 2003

by zen death robot

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

To be fair, from everything ever said on that show, Meri actually talked Kodi into it. I think she came from a FLDS background but he didn't necessarily? Kodi's dad is FLDS now, though, and one of his sister wives is Janelle's mom. Janelle being Kodi's second wife.

I'm sorry you know this

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Lodin posted:

What does catfishing mean in this case? I thought that was when someone made a fake online account to impersonate someone.

I love the explanation for the term at the end of the titular (teehee) movie

"it's called catfish cuz they make your life interesting or some poo poo"

fake edit:

quote:

In the film, the husband of the "catfish", Vince, relays a story of how when live cod were shipped to Asia from North America, the fish's inactivity in their tanks resulted in only mushy flesh reaching the destination. However, fishermen found that putting catfish in the tanks with the cod kept them active, and thus ensured the quality of the fish. Vince made an analogy of how there are people in everyone's lives who keep each other active, always on their toes and always thinking, suggesting that people should always be alert while socializing through the Internet.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

There's only a few salt water catfish and they are all from tropical areas and cod are a cold water fish. And that's just for starters.

This story is fishy.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

There's only a few salt water catfish and they are all from tropical areas and cod are a cold water fish. And that's just for starters.

This story is fishy.

I dare say those cods are being...catfished

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've been around for about three different people summarizing the movie for others. I hate it despite never having seen it. Yes it sounds fake as gently caress.

man up
Jun 2, 2016

by Cowcaster
My mom grew up in a few relocation homes before she moved out. One was half a front floor of a house shared with another family and 1 bathroom. She had 3 sisters, the other family a bunch as well. From what I understand, she was really ashamed to be a welfare kid during the 1960s especially because she was smart enough to join things like the model UN etc. It made her really demanding to do better for herself and get what she wanted. I think in many ways going from a two bedroom apartment split by her 3 sisters + her and her parents, to the split front floor home location, and then some other equally small house really was a hosed up experience. Her dad beat her mom, there was alcoholism and cheating and poverty and anti-Semitism and in the end she made it out and never wanted to go back. This was after being a WW2 child refugee so I figure I'd tell this story. Especially seeing as how the top "anti-white privilege crusader" comes from a much nicer family and income than this situation and literally lives the little princess lifestyle whenever possible LOL

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

drat alex you are getting verbose

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to

Celluloid Sam posted:

Lol

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Celluloid Sam posted:

hosed up, if true

man up
Jun 2, 2016

by Cowcaster
ty

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Hope you got ten more bux for lowtax lol

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

the 230 page incest thread

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?
bim job

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Fat eresh

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme
JIIIIIM BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

90 Day Fiancée is a more enjoyable trainwreck, BECAUSE it's a trainwreck.

gently caress this channel. It's watchable because it's overtly terrible.

90 Day Fiancee is awesome. I like the goony guys who have to meet women from third world countries. And the couples who are 19 or so and don't even speak the same language, but have to get married so they can have sex.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

that jim bob poo poo is even more tedious than completely unironic posts about loving tlc reality shows I hope you are proud of yourselves

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Blue Train posted:

that jim bob poo poo is even more tedious than completely unironic posts about loving tlc reality shows I hope you are proud of yourselves
Jim Bob.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jim Bob!

Blizzy_Cow
Feb 27, 2006
When one burns one's bridges, what a wonderful fire it makes

Sir Jim of Bob

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Alan Smithee posted:

I imagine so was the husband. I mean he probably wanted a harem of heavy metal album cover beauties but got a 3 headed dragon bitching about minivans and coupons all day

What I wouldn't give for this to be a real thing in my hands right now:

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Jim Bob?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SEX BURRITO posted:

90 Day Fiancee is awesome. I like the goony guys who have to meet women from third world countries. And the couples who are 19 or so and don't even speak the same language, but have to get married so they can have sex.

Man, that Latin pop star who just up and threw away all of his popularity and fame so he could live with his gf in the States... Crazy. She should have moved there. Nicaragua, I think it was. Unbelievable.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Bobbity bobbity Jiiiiiim.

Jim Bob.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

SEX BURRITO posted:

I think The Lobster looks like a great movie.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I love when the mail order bride people get all bent out of shape when other people look on their "relationships" critically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

I love when the mail order bride people get all bent out of shape when other people look on their "relationships" critically.

The sexless marriage that 50-year-old woman is in with Mohammed is absolutely laughable, but I also feel bad for her, because she's so disillusioned, and probably severely depressed.

He's a loving waste, though.

• Locked thread