Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
who will "win" E3
This poll is closed.
Sony 29 14.22%
Microsoft 17 8.33%
Nintendo 30 14.71%
Oculus 24 11.76%
Valve 35 17.16%
Sega 69 33.82%
Total: 101 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Microsoft

The success of the current generation consoles has surprised analysts, many of whom predicted mobile and PC to dig into console popularity. Despite Xbox One seeing gains over the Xbox 360 out of the gate, sales are now likely 1/3 of the competition. Microsoft is again trying to bring the Xbox experience over to PC with a new app store platform that everyone hates.

AMD, having made all the GPUs in all the consoles is also trying to take some of that console success back to the PC. They've announced a card that sounds about as powerful and energy efficient as a GTX 970, but for only $199. together the two companies may expand the PC market.

Oculus

in a scene worthy of america's funniest home videos, Oculus' screen door simulator has run into a screen door. originally parading their dedication to Linux and open platforms, Oculus developed their own store, made it windows-only and locked it down with literal DRM so you can't play Oculus games on another headset. thankfully, they also hosed up production so badly it delayed thousands of pre-orders, giving everyone enough time to cancel their orders and get a Vive.

undeterred, Oculus has just about as much floor space as Nintendo and Microsoft at E3 and will likely announce some exclusive games that you need to literally sign in with a Facebook account to play.

Nintendo

nintendo has already announced they're making a new console, the NX. it's generally believed they won't be detailing it at E3, and that the only game they still plan to release on the Wii U is Zelda. however, they still bought a lot of floor space, nearly as much as Sony and MS, so what they will be showing there is a mystery.

Sony

like Microsoft, Sony will likely announce a refreshed PS4 model with true 256-bit fidelity and Blast Processing 2.0. gamers will naturally be mad that someone who paid more money for something more recently will be getting a better framerate than them, and also that their big brother ate all the cereal and pop-tarts.

Valve

after a 1 year delay, valve's Steam Machines have now been out for 7 months and Ars Technica calls the platform "dead on arrival". furthermore, the steam controller sucks and there hasn't been a half-life game in almost 10 years. these clowns don't even have E3 floor space and i include them in this post basically to shame them. how can you launch a console platform without having floor space at E3? don't they at least have a responsibility to their partners to do some marketing? not to mention their VR platform.

OK, now you're caught up on the video game information, :just post:

EDIT: Thank you "fuzzy momma" for this graphic!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i hope there's lots of funny awkward mistakes during the keynotes and poo poo

Sunday

EA - 1PM PST - Youtube, Twitch

Bethesda - 7PM PST - Youtube, Twitch

Monday

Microsoft - 9:30AM PST - Youtube, Twitch (you should probably watch WWDC instead though, at 10AM)

Ubisoft - 1PM PST - Youtube, Twitch

Sony - 6PM PST - Youtube, Twitch

Tuesday

Nintendo - 9AM PST - Youtube, Twitch

PleasureKevin fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I can't think of a single interesting thing that's going to be shown this year. It's probably going to be a montage of everything that was in last year's E3 that was going to release this year but instead has been delayed to next year. Burn the whole thing down.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

it's more about the opportunity to laugh than anything

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
i love public relations

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

Oculus

in a scene worthy of america's funniest home videos, Oculus' screen door simulator has run into a screen door. originally parading their dedication to Linux and open platforms, Oculus developed their own store, made it windows-only and locked it down with literal DRM so you can't play Oculus games on another headset. thankfully, they also hosed up production so badly it delayed thousands of pre-orders, giving everyone enough time to cancel their orders and get a Vive.

undeterred, Oculus has just about as much floor space as Nintendo and Microsoft at E3 and will likely announce some exclusive games that you need to literally sign in with a Facebook account to play.

the best part of the oculus saga was still when they took all of the kickstarter money, built up the company and then sold it to facebook for several truckloads of money making the founders even richer while the backers got nothing except for broken promises.

valve wins e3 by default since the only winning move is not to play

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 4, 2016

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

The_Franz posted:

the best part of the oculus saga was still when they took all of the kickstarter money, built up the company and then sold it to facebook for several truckloads of money making the founders even richer while the backers got nothing except for broken promises.

if you need any more proof that money corrupts people, look no further than palmer "pie king" luckey. google's co-founders survived much longer, trying to eliminate all middle management and stuff like that, and having the "don't be evil" slogan. palmer luckey on the other hand buckled right away. he used to be your average down to earth brony con attendee who wore no shoes and took part in topless pie eating contests, now he's shaking hands with microsoft and Facebook and buying up exclusives with hardware DRM.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

hard to pay rent in good vibes

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

here is the floor plan btw

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

john carmack is a facebook employee

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

unless e3 is tiny this year thats not the whole floor plan

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Triglav posted:

unless e3 is tiny this year thats not the whole floor plan

That's the west hall where most major hardware people are set up

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
did you guys get your badges this year?

i started my own company and was still able to get a badge.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

will you be our eyes and ears on the ground?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yospos video game reporter

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
coming to you live from the place with the video games.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

scored an interview with a marketing developer, here's what they said

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

just ignore e3 and play overwatch or dota2*

*pity mention for smythe

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Triglav posted:

scored an interview with a marketing developer, here's what they said

looking forward to hearing about how companies are leveraging new paradigms to synergise with vr which will enable new brand engagement experiences

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
they're gonna resurrect kentia hall and fill it with anime titty vr games

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

PleasureKevin posted:

Valve

after a 1 year delay, valve's Steam Machines have now been out for 7 months and Ars Technica calls the platform "dead on arrival". furthermore, the steam controller sucks and there hasn't been a half-life game in almost 10 years. these clowns don't even have E3 floor space and i include them in this post basically to shame them. how can you launch a console platform without having floor space at E3? don't they at least have a responsibility to their partners to do some marketing? not to mention their VR platform.

OK, now you're caught up on the video game information, :justpost:

it is highly pleasurable to me that fat retard knife collector gabe newell's linux turdbox failed harder than the gizmondo

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Their plan all along was to make Half-Life 3 SteamOS exclusive

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
rip valve killed by dots

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

DuckConference posted:

just ignore e3 and play 1993-2005 PC games

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Beast of Bourbon posted:

did you guys get your badges this year?

i started my own company and was still able to get a badge.

get me a badge next year and i will come get drunk with you and smythe

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Can we expect any giant enemy crabs this year? If so, how hard will it be for us to flip them over so we can hit their weak points for massive damage?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
something something my posting

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo this year's actually the 10th year anniversary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH2w2l1JTs4&hd=1

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
hell, make it this year

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Migishu posted:

Oh poo poo this year's actually the 10th year anniversary

despite this, the PS3 managed to beat the Xbox 360 in sales somehow. doesn't look like MS is having luck closing the PS4 gap.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Constant Hamprince posted:

it is highly pleasurable to me that fat retard knife collector gabe newell's linux turdbox failed harder than the gizmondo

it's what happens when you have a bunch of people inside your company each going off in their own often conflicting direction, with no overall goal, strategy, or direction for the company.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

despite this, the PS3 managed to beat the Xbox 360 in sales somehow. doesn't look like MS is having luck closing the PS4 gap.

the 360 was launched back when ms management still made some good decisions. the ps3 was launched by a bunch of old japanese guys who didn't realize that the not-japan parts of the world weren't frozen in 1995.

it took a few years but the management-competency situation reversed itself.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 4, 2016

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
can't wait for ea's ceo to come out onto the stage and do his supervillain schtick

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

something interesting about the AMD announcement the other day. they said Ashes of the Singularity ran better on 2 RX480's than on a GTX 1080. they said the price of a 480 is $199. and in their price comparison they said 2 Crossfire RX480s is "under $500". however, why no just say $400 or $398? probably because they were using 8GB cards instead of 4GB, and the cards come to more like $460, not the $400 some people are assuming.

Doc Block posted:

it's what happens when you have a bunch of people inside your company each going off in their own often conflicting direction, with no overall goal, strategy, or direction for the company.

i have to admit the Vive is pretty good, though. someone at Valve also said Oculus is licensed Valve technology?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

The_Franz posted:

the 360 was launched back when ms management still made some good decisions. the ps3 was launched by a bunch of old japanese guys who didn't realize that the not-japan parts of the world weren't frozen in 1995.

in what way were they frozen in 1995? i thought it was great they had wireless controllers (with rechargeable batteries!), Wi-Fi and a hard drive included. Xbox 360 actually had no hard drive somehow, which was the best part of the Xbox OG.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

wisdom

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

PleasureKevin posted:

in what way were they frozen in 1995? i thought it was great they had wireless controllers (with rechargeable batteries!), Wi-Fi and a hard drive included. Xbox 360 actually had no hard drive somehow, which was the best part of the Xbox OG.

thinking they could charge whatever they wanted to because "we're sony!", psn seemingly as an afterthought, ken kutaragi's obsession with goofy architectures and developing the system in a vacuum thinking that people would put the same amount of effort into working around the ps3's lovely architecture as they did with the ps2 because, again, "we're sony!".

edit: oh, and telling a lot of smaller publishers with simpler titles to gently caress off because their games "didn't show off the power of the ps3". sony didn't give a poo poo about indie developers until they saw ms making bank from titles like super meat boy and braid.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jun 4, 2016

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

all very good points

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

Grimey Drawer

The_Franz posted:

edit: oh, and telling a lot of smaller publishers with simpler titles to gently caress off because their games "didn't show off the power of the ps3". sony didn't give a poo poo about indie developers until they saw ms making bank from titles like super meat boy and braid.

Then Microsoft treated indie devs as garbage. Sony then jumped in and said "We'll take care of you" and there you go

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Migishu posted:

Then Microsoft treated indie devs as garbage. Sony then jumped in and said "We'll take care of you" and there you go

well, i'm not sure but it seemed like Sony treated them like royalty and Microsoft looked bad in comparison. apparently they even -gasp- admitted to making a PS4 and asked them what they wanted in it, whereas microsoft was like "we don't comment on rumours and speculation" type stonewall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
gently caress being the last post on a page

• Locked thread