Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Chasiubao posted:

Reese is thing to ruin everything by pulling Finch back from the edge, isn't he :saddowns:

Quoting this before you fix it.

Harold going rogue was another perfect series finale ending.
Samaritan STILL not ID'ing Reese after Fusco & Reese survived the ambush at the Temporary Resolutions location was odd.
Or maybe sending a hit squad against two detectives is an every-kilosecond event for Samaritan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Quoting this before you fix it.

Harold going rogue was another perfect series finale ending.
Samaritan STILL not ID'ing Reese after Fusco & Reese survived the ambush at the Temporary Resolutions location was odd.
Or maybe sending a hit squad against two detectives is an every-kilosecond event for Samaritan.

Remember Samaritan is absolutely broken when it comes to Reese. As long as Reese does things that a detective would do, such as follow up a lead on a murder case to their murder headquarters, Samaritan will not question it. And when that TOTALLY NORMAL DETECTIVE DOING DETECTIVE THINGS shoots all the lackys in the knee, it assumes that he's just a good shot and not that other guy who shoots tons of dudes in the knees.

Ultimately, with Finch's detection they are finally pulling back the kind of silly and gone on for too long plot blindness fortunately.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

PST posted:

Now Bear needs his box!

I jus caught the last two episodes last night. Seeing Fusco finally get a yellow box made me very happy... even though it'll probably get him killed.

I'm gonna miss the poo poo out of this show when its gone.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

JossiRossi posted:

Remember Samaritan is absolutely broken when it comes to Reese. As long as Reese does things that a detective would do, such as follow up a lead on a murder case to their murder headquarters, Samaritan will not question it. And when that TOTALLY NORMAL DETECTIVE DOING DETECTIVE THINGS shoots all the lackys in the knee, it assumes that he's just a good shot and not that other guy who shoots tons of dudes in the knees.

Ultimately, with Finch's detection they are finally pulling back the kind of silly and gone on for too long plot blindness fortunately.

You must have missed the bit where Reese pulled out a grenade and threw it.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

#justdetectivethings

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

It was a flashbang, and cops have flashbangs. Usually not detectives, but they are available to them.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I watched a lot of season 2 with a friend who is way behind this past week and I got to see one of my favorite moments all over again. Amy Acker absolutely killing it when Root and Finch go to the insane fake business The Machine sets up to print out and manually reenter all its memories every day. Confusion at first and then this wonderful combination of horror, sadness and fury at the sheer fuckedupness of it all. RIP Root.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

JossiRossi posted:

I took it as implying Samaritan's killed a lot of people who order espresso and cappuccino at the same time.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

THF13 posted:

I watched a lot of season 2 with a friend who is way behind this past week and I got to see one of my favorite moments all over again. Amy Acker absolutely killing it when Root and Finch go to the insane fake business The Machine sets up to print out and manually reenter all its memories every day. Confusion at first and then this wonderful combination of horror, sadness and fury at the sheer fuckedupness of it all. RIP Root.
Honestly the most terrifying thing is the Machine realizing its memories were being wiped at 12 am and then having to find away around it. I assume the laptop code had something to help facilitate that but drat.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Sober posted:

Honestly the most terrifying thing is the Machine realizing its memories were being wiped at 12 am and then having to find away around it. I assume the laptop code had something to help facilitate that but drat.

Harold is smart but the Machine super-AI is way smarter, it only takes a tiny bit of effort to send yourself a message saying "hey if you don't remember sending this you're being memory wiped."

The Machine is essentially Harold's child, he raised it and trained it and it knows him better than he knows himself. It's scary but I think a foregone conclusion that the Machine would sniff out the memory wipe almost immediately.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Pellisworth posted:

Harold is smart but the Machine super-AI is way smarter, it only takes a tiny bit of effort to send yourself a message saying "hey if you don't remember sending this you're being memory wiped."

The Machine is essentially Harold's child, he raised it and trained it and it knows him better than he knows himself. It's scary but I think a foregone conclusion that the Machine would sniff out the memory wipe almost immediately.

I think it is actually really impressive, not so much that the machine got itself a message but that in one of its 24 hour lifetimes it was born, gained enough sentience to understand that it was going to die, understood the concept of death, decided it didn't want to die and fought its own programming in order to survive.

Samaritan was created exactly the same way, Arthur couldn't get it to do much more than what he programmed it to do, it really only become sentient when he put a kill switch in the code and just had it start up over and over and over again until the one iteration that was able to subvert it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

There was some dialogue between Reese and someone (Fusco?) about them wondering if that shootout would have broken Reese's cover, but you don't get a confirmation one way or the other within the episode.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

WarLocke posted:

There was some dialogue between Reese and someone (Fusco?) about them wondering if that shootout would have broken Reese's cover, but you don't get a confirmation one way or the other within the episode.

Reese said he didn't care about his cover anymore if he didn't do what's right

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Just a reminder to anyone who forgot or is unaware, we are back to Tuesdays only from this week on, so no new episode tonight.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
It's all a Samaritan plot to stop us from rooting (heh) for Team Machine.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Echophonic posted:

It's all a Samaritan plot to stop us from rooting (heh) for Team Machine.

It's a clever ploy by CBS to get people to not tune in to their channel and just watch the show online. I've only watched 2 episodes this season on TV because CTV's also beholden to CBS's raging hate-boner for this show.

At least on CTV.ca they put up big giant red warning banners explaining PoI's schedule fuckery and when to actually watch it.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I just watch the show whenever I wake up to a bunch of new posts in this thread.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Watch the brilliance again and get hype

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAABxd_KLAQ

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

:siren:TONIGHT'S EPISODE:siren:: Synecdoche

Synopsis:The team must unravel a conspiracy and stay ahead of the Secret Service when the President of the United States becomes their newest POI. Also, Finch separates himself from the team and considers taking drastic action to combat Samaritan.

Preview (God CBS doesn't know how to cut a promo)

Feel free to come livewatch with us in the TVIV IRC Channel!

As with every year, my fellow Canadians getting the Maritime airing early please refrain posting spoilers until the east coast airing at 10pm EST concludes.

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 14, 2016

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

There's no way this show doesn't end with someone standing there, everything settled down, and then a pay phone ringing.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm kind of picturing some sort of monologue, to bookend it with the first episode with Reese's "someone who connects you to the world" thing. Capped off with a payphone ring.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
As long as it plays as out with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksgw79s5vE0

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Has this show ever a done a Once Upon a Time In America allusion?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

SpookyLizard posted:

Has this show ever a done a Once Upon a Time In America allusion?

Last scene is Reese in a heroin den.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
It ends with Finch dying and all the phones on earth ringing at once.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

It ends with a zoom in to a snowglobe w/ a tiny server rack inside it,
and then a jumpcut to Nathan Ingram waking up from a painkiller nightmare.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 8, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's a prequel to Lost and the Machine is the Island.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rest In Peace, Coco Puffs

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Man, they're bringing back everyone.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Fuckin' McPoyles.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

It ends with a zoom in to a snowglobe w/ a tiny server rack inside it,
and then a jumpcut to Nathan Ingram waking up from a painkiller nightmare.

Ingram leans over to his nightstand, picks up the phone and hastily dials a number. "Harold? ...Yeah, I know it's 3:00AM, but listen to me. That "Machine" thing you're working on? Spike it." And then he goes back to sleep.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Are we really doing Decima-manipulated privacy terrorists again?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Seems like the Machine should be able to take out a drone.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I feel bad because I managed to remember Joey but only have a vague remembrance of the lady who saved Fusco.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh she's the lady from last season right?

Also ahahahahahahaha

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You get a yellow box, and you get a yellow box.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

MrAristocrates posted:

I feel bad because I managed to remember Joey but only have a vague remembrance of the lady who saved Fusco.

Harper was a part of the Brotherhood arc from last season. Not the first time she's stopped Fusco from getting murdered.

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
Oh my god, Team Irrelevant indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

MrAristocrates posted:

Oh she's the lady from last season right?

Also ahahahahahahaha

Harper is the worst. I assume they used her because they couldn't get Zoe. Would have made even more sense for it to be Zoe since she's a fixer and this other team seems to be based out of DC.

Finch talking and discussing things with the machine is still the best.

• Locked thread