Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
I used to deftly weave around civilians but now that they splatter into meaty chunks, I just cant stop stomping them like ants :getin:
also big love to koenig "gently caress your shields lol" t. machinegun

dyzzy posted:

My main beef with big mechs/tanks right now: they're fundamentally limited in how far they can go because you just can't dodge all the poo poo that gets thrown your way at higher difficulty values.

This is why I love harvester, when it hits (if you're still undetected) every unit for miles around seems to dogpile into the crater usually just in time to eat the second volley. Helps thin out the insane crowds at higher difficulty to something you can probably handle with a decent secondary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

dyzzy posted:

My main beef with big mechs/tanks right now: they're fundamentally limited in how far they can go because you just can't dodge all the poo poo that gets thrown your way at higher difficulty values.

That doesn't matter when you have Krakens, though. :getin:

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
Any plans for a co-op mode?

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Having seen the intel for the Bombucha, I gotta follow that up with: Any plans for a space mode?

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

Jose Mengelez posted:

Any plans for a co-op mode?

No, coding our own engine was too prohibitive to develop, no multiplayer. If we made bank and/or got on the PS4 there's an outside chance for hotseat co-op, which I think would be a lot of fun actually, but I wouldn't expect it. Could take a while for the game to turn a profit. So please, tell your friends. We will continue to support the game and release free content updates.

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

Fish Noise posted:

Having seen the intel for the Bombucha, I gotta follow that up with: Any plans for a space mode?

What like Starcraft "space" maps? No, I don't think so. Future projects will more than likely be in the same universe though.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
What triggers the "Light Damage Bonus"? Just not taking many hits, or ending with good health or what?

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

gauss posted:

No, coding our own engine was too prohibitive to develop, no multiplayer. If we made bank and/or got on the PS4 there's an outside chance for hotseat co-op, which I think would be a lot of fun actually, but I wouldn't expect it. Could take a while for the game to turn a profit. So please, tell your friends. We will continue to support the game and release free content updates.

I just realized, bespoke local co-op, driver on the keyboard gunner on the mouse. A free hand each to drink beer/jerk eachother off.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I love that the maps are all handmade and not random, but also the way enemies spot and hear and run to you makes repeating the same mission still feel exciting and fresh. Best of both worlds.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

elf help book posted:

What triggers the "Light Damage Bonus"? Just not taking many hits, or ending with good health or what?

I think it's ending with an intact hull, shield damage only?

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope

Captain Foo posted:

I think it's ending with an intact hull, shield damage only?

You can take hull damage, but is a very low threshold, ~5% I think.

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

elf help book posted:

I love that the maps are all handmade and not random, but also the way enemies spot and hear and run to you makes repeating the same mission still feel exciting and fresh. Best of both worlds.

Thanks, handmade maps were definitely something we thought was going to be better for the game, too. Kinda over playing games with endless so-so randomly generated maps. IMO you end up with a lot of boring slop and then repeat set pieces.

Maps are quick to make for this game, too. Once you get the process, each of the campaign maps only had a few days in them, though several of the larger freelance maps are more elaborate, but they still don't take long compared to most other games. (like if you've ever tried building a tf2 map. That's fourteen years of your life, for a map nobody will play.)

Once we get the kinks out of the main campaign, and work on the first dlc, somewhere in there we will release the map editor.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

anthony patch posted:

You can take hull damage, but is a very low threshold, ~5% I think.

Cool. No matter what else happens, if I get that Low Damage or No Alarms bonus, I feel slick.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

gauss posted:

Thanks, handmade maps were definitely something we thought was going to be better for the game, too. Kinda over playing games with endless so-so randomly generated maps. IMO you end up with a lot of boring slop and then repeat set pieces.

Maps are quick to make for this game, too. Once you get the process, each of the campaign maps only had a few days in them, though several of the larger freelance maps are more elaborate, but they still don't take long compared to most other games. (like if you've ever tried building a tf2 map. That's fourteen years of your life, for a map nobody will play.)

Once we get the kinks out of the main campaign, and work on the first dlc, somewhere in there we will release the map editor.

Will there be Steam Workshop integration?

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

Basticle posted:

Will there be Steam Workshop integration?

We just lost one of our two coders, so no promises on anything basically. I should be able to do trading cards pretty easily though.

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007
I'm really enjoying your game, but I'm bad at it. The maps are really pretty.

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

Mirrors posted:

I'm really enjoying your game, but I'm bad at it. The maps are really pretty.

Thanks! I'm going to rejigger and expand the VR levels to help make sure that the many systems in the game are more obvious and known to the player, we've gotten a lot of goof feedback/streaming of the game has helped clarify some things, even over and above our experience in EA.

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007
Honestly, I didn't have any problems with the extreme basics. It's more like, I die a lot to stupid poo poo like forgetting what direction I'm pointed in and running into something explosive. Lots and lots of doing over.

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

Mirrors posted:

Honestly, I didn't have any problems with the extreme basics. It's more like, I die a lot to stupid poo poo like forgetting what direction I'm pointed in and running into something explosive. Lots and lots of doing over.

heheh, well that's something we want to restore to the tutorials. There used to be basically a rogue's gallery of explosives at the end of the tutorial level so you could look at them and remember a little when you saw them again in the middle of things. Stuff like that seemed way too on the nose to me, but now I think it's actually pretty helpful stuff. Things like how directional damage works, weapons penetration etc.

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene
Lots of stream stuff this weekend, in a few minutes Ezekiel_III will be playing Brigador for a four hour block. We'll be in there, come hang out.

https://www.twitch.tv/ezekiel_iii

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i finally beat that New Feeling level, after the initial rush which is a little bit of a crapshoot it's just a matter of keeping your enemies in front of you and, preferably, making them drive right through some smoke and under your boots

warcake
Apr 10, 2010
I dont know if im just being bad, but i cant figure out how to not end a run early on the spaceport levels in freelance. I blew everything up but the only place it would let me exit was the space ship thingy.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I feel silly for asking, but what is the deal with "Objectives Completed" in Freelance/Campaign? It's always zero, even if you completely crush a mission.

For Freelance (the few I've unlocked so far), even if I clear the whole run and get paid for EVERYTHING else (No alarms, structures, captains, garrison, depots). Nothing for Objective's completed.

Same for Campaign. I just swung by "Fly Blackbird" to get around to finally beating it with the Buckler A Grav. Cleared out everything, no alarms, job well done... and Zero for "Objectives Completed".

So uh, what's the deal? Are there later campaign missions where that is a thing? Is it a placeholder to be later implemented (like "Low Fly" on the controls)? It's not the end of the world or anything, I'm just wondering about this Zero Dollars entry on my paystub even when I don't suck.

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i finally beat that New Feeling level, after the initial rush which is a little bit of a crapshoot it's just a matter of keeping your enemies in front of you and, preferably, making them drive right through some smoke and under your boots

Ah yes, that one. I fell back on "gently caress it, let them come to me a the spawn" to give breathing room on the ready and waiting tanks and within earshot alarm callers on my Touro when I beat that. As much because I was unaware/forgot from EA that alarm dudes will dial 911 if you hurt them but don't kill them.

warcake posted:

I dont know if im just being bad, but i cant figure out how to not end a run early on the spaceport levels in freelance. I blew everything up but the only place it would let me exit was the space ship thingy.
Spaceports are "You went here because you are trying to leave and get paid" level, always. So you always save the spaceport for last.

I would assume it's as much map design limitations, as well as challenge mindset. If you could clean it out early and keep going, everybody would just beat the Spaceport ASAP and then continue with other maps until they feel the risk is too high. Instead of heading to the spaceport late in and seeing it guarded by their current difficulty level.

Right now it's tied to pilot modifiers. But for a good chunk of EA, ramping up difficulty in Freelance was the default.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 5, 2016

Mirrors
Oct 25, 2007
New Feeling is kicking my rear end over and over. I got metal health in like, three trys but I just die so fast every time.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

I've been playing with the Faker mortar on the Mog and its behavior is a little weird. Firing it alerts no one, but once it lands everyone rushes exactly to the spot you fired it from. Since everyone beelines there you can get then run and fire another mortar to catch them. It seems kind of braindead. I feel like if they reacted to the incoming mortar and tried to spread out or if they fanned out a bit to search for you it would feel better.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Section Z posted:

PS the Huss campaign loadout is sweet. 10/10 would be a danger to myself and others with a giant cannon and sweet focusing laser again.

Yes, yes it is.

Jose Mengelez posted:

I just realized, bespoke local co-op, driver on the keyboard gunner on the mouse. A free hand each to drink beer/jerk eachother off.

A friend and I used to play the Earthsiege games like this when I was a kid, though there was a distinct lack of jerking off except for this one time I got cougared in an internet chat room

anthony patch
Mar 20, 2008

nope

Internet Friend posted:

I've been playing with the Faker mortar on the Mog and its behavior is a little weird. Firing it alerts no one, but once it lands everyone rushes exactly to the spot you fired it from. Since everyone beelines there you can get then run and fire another mortar to catch them. It seems kind of braindead. I feel like if they reacted to the incoming mortar and tried to spread out or if they fanned out a bit to search for you it would feel better.

The problem there is if you put a large aggro radius on the firing of an arty weapon it makes it extremely difficult to hit targets-- especially for new players. Imagine firing an arty weapon at a group of stationary units and they immediately start moving-- would just feel like bullshit, especially for new players. Using artillery well is hard enough as it is. Arty across the board have much quieter firing sounds than impact sounds, and also deal far more damage than their cannon counterparts from the same class size. Otherwise people wouldn't use them.

I'd rather arty be a little cheesy and be something people actually use than something people just never use because it's too situational.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
My first four survivors: Costa, Reis, Giian, and Pires.

Seeing the start of the final campaign level for the first time felt incredibly surreal, and I am very pleased that I chose the Touro for that.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Hey Dev guys, Odetta Dunsmuir and Luis Leng have the exact same stats.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Give Luis $1 extra Victory Bonus to earn back that extra million spent eventually.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

anthony patch posted:

The problem there is if you put a large aggro radius on the firing of an arty weapon it makes it extremely difficult to hit targets-- especially for new players. Imagine firing an arty weapon at a group of stationary units and they immediately start moving-- would just feel like bullshit, especially for new players. Using artillery well is hard enough as it is. Arty across the board have much quieter firing sounds than impact sounds, and also deal far more damage than their cannon counterparts from the same class size. Otherwise people wouldn't use them.

I'd rather arty be a little cheesy and be something people actually use than something people just never use because it's too situational.

That all makes sense. It stuck out to me because it's the only instance where it feels like the AI has a god's eye view. They go from unaware to knowing exactly where you fired from once the explosion goes off.

Of course it doesn't matter how loud the mortar is if you strap it on a Swordfish and fire it from two screens away :haw:

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

Mirrors posted:

New Feeling is kicking my rear end over and over. I got metal health in like, three trys but I just die so fast every time.

Yeah, the beloved combo of New Feeling/Metal Health are getting a pretty serious tweaking, along with the tutorials. The on ramping for new players should be smoother.

edit: and in interest of getting the ramp steeper, later, some of the later maps will be made more difficult. Although Found Ghost is going to get some breathing room.

gauss fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 6, 2016

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Why not just add a load out that is very easy to pass it with? That way the original challenges can remain. I finally beat Metal Health this morning and it was really satisfying.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
The tutorial throws you off on how gorgeous the map art really is.

And then you break it all in a Huss :getin:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

re: mortar chat:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=460649004#post460649004

gauss
Feb 9, 2001

by Reene

Chinook posted:

Why not just add a load out that is very easy to pass it with? That way the original challenges can remain. I finally beat Metal Health this morning and it was really satisfying.

In my head balancing the maps, New Feeling is very easy with a Touro. But also because of the tutorial effect (starter vehicles I use in the tutorials must be lousy!) and overestimating average player ability by level 5, that's not the case.

New Feeling doesn't need a lot changed, mostly just spacing out the spawns more so that aggro doesn't completely dogpile you.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Metal Health I can see, but I don't remember having any real problems with New Feeling. After seeing those two levels mentioned I went back and gave them a second look. Metal Health I instantly remembered, and remembered it taking forever for me to beat (I eventually went with the railgun tank, sniped the houses, then instantly cycled camo and boost to get away) but New Feeling didn't jog any particular bad memories and I blew threw it in the Huss. Of course two levels away from beating the campaign I'm better now than I was then so I guess what I'm saying is get good scrub. :smuggo:

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
I really like small vehicles and it did feel great to beat missions in the Mongoose or the Party Van or whatever that tiny little agrav is, but gently caress the Troubadour. The recoil from its main gun isn't too bad but as soon as it takes a hit of any magnitude it just starts spinning like a top which is just annoying because even when you have full hitpoints, you can afford to get hit even less than in other vehicles. Blargh.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

omg the Banshee :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Did you guys intentionally hurry to release this game on Killdozer Day Weekend? Because that's a really, really awesome coincidence. :killdozer:

I may be an outlier in that I very much like how agravs handle, though I haven't tried them on the higher difficulties.

Will there be alternate faction playable powersuits? Like, will there be a corvid powersuit with a shield generator bolted on to make it playable? Mongoose rocks the house, of course, but the corvid designs are also really cool, and I haven't seen a spacer powersuit yet but I bet they're awesome too.

I do well with the cloak, but I'm probably missing something, what advantages does the smoke have?

The cement mixer scenery trucks are not full of cement.

Is there a mode where I can still play the story versions of Metal Health, with the groundskeeper killdozing the rich district, and that other one with Giancarlo having no ammo?