Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I'm at R21 now and it seems the biggest timesinks at this point preventing me from steamrolling every R are the challenges (2 hours worth of spell duration this run, christ) and advanced researches needing 1000 of a certain spell to be cast or whatever.

Hopefully it gets better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

When trying to earn gems in the research phase (still R16 for the moment, but have unlocked most of the researches), should I be shooting for super long runs to let Vacuumancy and the other timed ones build up, or abdicating as soon as Vanilla Flavor Juice runs out?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Beasteh posted:

I'm at R21 now and it seems the biggest timesinks at this point preventing me from steamrolling every R are the challenges (2 hours worth of spell duration this run, christ) and advanced researches needing 1000 of a certain spell to be cast or whatever.

Hopefully it gets better?
The goal is to have enough mana regen that two hours of spell duration takes two hours and 1000 spellcasts takes 1000*spell duration. And then you only have to do them once and you're good to go!

(might not be feasible immediately, but Druidline goes a LONG way.)

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Klungar posted:

When trying to earn gems in the research phase (still R16 for the moment, but have unlocked most of the researches), should I be shooting for super long runs to let Vacuumancy and the other timed ones build up, or abdicating as soon as Vanilla Flavor Juice runs out?

If you've unlocked most of the researches, especially the 120s and 135s, you should be able to go with a standard abdicate -> make fast efficient progress -> repeat cycle. Putting it another way, if you actually had appreciable gem growth in the duration of your VFJ you might as well keep going with that method.

If some of the researches you're still missing are key ones for production though, you may not be able to do that.

In general, most of the time research will let you go with frequent abdication using bursty rush builds, but for certain unlocks and at certain gem walls you may need to go with the longer builds that take time to build up. If you can make progress with rush builds though, no reason not to do that, since it'll be faster.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
For what it's worth with research you should always be prioritizing getting whatever unlocks you can that r. You will have to get close to your old gen wall first sure but that should be easy. There's no reason to skip any research since that's the measure of progress after R16

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Also you have to get every research sooner or later to unlock trophies that give you significant upgrades anyway.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Thanks all. I ended up going with 15 minute abdications, eventually switching from a stagnating Fairy/Fairy to Elf/Titan which pushed through to the end. I'm currently working on a A120/W120 (6500 mana/250 assistants) run, which will leave me just with W50 (2 Days Evil), which I think I am just going to put off until a later reincarnation, since it only benefits Undead and isn't a prerequisite for any of the next couple of R's of research. That wise, or should I just stick it out for another day to finish it out?

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
So, I just did my first reincarnation, and something seems wrong.

Namely, I don't get any money.

My gems keep increasing- but my money is stuck at 2.938 No, which means I can't buy any more buildings. What is going on?

If I got bugged out I'm gonna be really disappointed, as I finally got premium gifts this morning.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
That's really weird. Does it persist if you reload the page?

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

Sindai posted:

That's really weird. Does it persist if you reload the page?

Yeah. Also, it seems to be updating in the background, because when I mouseover the number, the "Coins gained(This Game)" keeps increasing, but the big number never does.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Klungar posted:

Thanks all. I ended up going with 15 minute abdications, eventually switching from a stagnating Fairy/Fairy to Elf/Titan which pushed through to the end. I'm currently working on a A120/W120 (6500 mana/250 assistants) run, which will leave me just with W50 (2 Days Evil), which I think I am just going to put off until a later reincarnation, since it only benefits Undead and isn't a prerequisite for any of the next couple of R's of research. That wise, or should I just stick it out for another day to finish it out?

Well, if you do it now it'll take you one day, and if you do it later it'll take you two days.

quaunaut posted:

Yeah. Also, it seems to be updating in the background, because when I mouseover the number, the "Coins gained(This Game)" keeps increasing, but the big number never does.

Does it persist through abdication too? That should zero out your current coins, gifts notwithstanding.

Also your money could quite legitimately be that, but the reason you can't buy buildings is because you have it set to buy 100 or something, and 100 of any building is more than that. Check to see what the buy button is set to, and cycle it around to buy 1 or buy max.

Vil fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 4, 2016

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
For the first Goblin challenge ("Have Green Fingers Discount roll more than 1,000 seconds worth of production,") is there some sort of trick to keep your production low so it's easier to achieve, or is it literally just waiting long enough?

Edit: ...oh. The answer appears to be "Yes - just wait." :downs:

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 4, 2016

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Ghost of Starman posted:

For the first Goblin challenge ("Have Green Fingers Discount roll more than 1,000 seconds worth of production,") is there some sort of trick to keep your production low so it's easier to achieve, or is it literally just waiting long enough?

Edit: ...oh. The answer appears to be "Yes - just wait." :downs:

It's just wait, but it's not so bad. You have a 1/6 chance of achieving it every ten minutes, so on average it should take an hour. Compared to the first Undead challenge, which takes something like 13 hours, that's no time at all.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I think im like e2 from R3 (or R2 >< i cant remember) I dont have any challenges. Ive found titans to be so hit and miss, i just go drow/demons now :/

what is the good dwarves that make gems fast?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I assume you already have the challenge that makes your buildings count as more buildings, the Dwarf or whatever one. It's trivial post-ascension if you're willing to wait (because its requirements change), but if not just get to the end of your R and go neutral mercs with dwarf (1,2) for the multiplier reduction. I tried Goblin bloodline for even more cost reduction but ended up actually using old-Demon (the flat +mana regen), but Druid should work fine too, your goal is to go Tax Collection > mercs > Goblin's Greed > pay for upgrades with those FC > wait until 4:50 and jam all your spells at once and buy max Strongholds.

No gem power doesn't stop Goblin's Greed from keying off those, so you still get FC, and it's super cheap so you can Tax Collection for your first few FC to get Greed itself. Ruby Power isn't prohibited, so that can give you a few bonus assistants. Where specifically are you getting stuck?

You mention a merc build but im not able to get anywhere near the E55 coins required to even start on mercs. I get to E43 coins, with Elven bloodline and Titans. Elven bloodline is even the only bloodline that lets me unlock neutral factions in the first place, the other bloodlines only get to mid E15 coins in the 5 minute time limit (1E16 coins required to unlock neutral factions)

I have all challenges.

The best i am able to do is 550 iron strongholds in 5 minutes.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

If anyone is looking for a mobile idle game Nonstop Knight is pretty good for Android / iOS It has a hack and slash setting where your character runs through dungeons killing things going floor to floor even when the game is closed. He stops at bosses so you need to "play" there by taking on the boss after upgrading your gear and you can mash some skills if you want and go back to idling. It has a pretty standard ascension feature, you get currency based on how far you got and use it to buy 50% stacking upgrades to armor attack and so on.

I'm liking it a lot so far. The "premium" currency seems to not really have a use you can use it to buy gold to upgrade your gear that goes away when you ascend (you play idle games so you know anything that is 1 ascension only is useless). You can also use it to buy a revive which lets you power through a boss, but you are better off just ascending and killing that boss next go through the dungeon or idling for a few hours for the gold to upgrade and beat him and then ascend. You can also watch an ad in the shop for a "free" item when stock refreshes, sometimes its a revive pot you might want to pick them up if you have a 45 seconds to waste.

It plays great as free and has really pretty graphics. Art style looks like the action RPG Fate which I always loved the art style there. Bosses are rather frequent for a true idle feel probably needs about as much attention as trimps, early game is going to be massing attack boss until you get to where you were before and need to grind for a bit to get to the next area.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ineptitude posted:

You mention a merc build but im not able to get anywhere near the E55 coins required to even start on mercs. I get to E43 coins, with Elven bloodline and Titans. Elven bloodline is even the only bloodline that lets me unlock neutral factions in the first place, the other bloodlines only get to mid E15 coins in the 5 minute time limit (1E16 coins required to unlock neutral factions)

I have all challenges.

The best i am able to do is 550 iron strongholds in 5 minutes.
Huh. I did it late enough (because I was far after it came out) that it wasn't an issue to hit that number of coins.

Googling a bit, Elfline Titans seems right, though you need some good Lightning Strike RNG. The magic number is, what, 625? with the dwarf challenge. Sorry I gave awful advice!

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The boost that it gives you is so small that I wouldn't bother until you are closer to like R38+.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

If you do it at the start of an R, your excavations will also be cheap enough that you can use them for the faction coins to join the faction. (Gifts are another option, of course.) Just export beforehand in case it doesn't work out, and also prep your lightning strike forecast to help it hit a few useful things during your 5 minutes.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I just discovered that you can auto-cast spells while offline in Realm Grinder. I stupidly assumed it would only work when you're active. :negative: It's taking so long to unlock Drow faction. I'm never gonna finish my first stupid reincarnation.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Xtanstic posted:

I just discovered that you can auto-cast spells while offline in Realm Grinder. I stupidly assumed it would only work when you're active. :negative: It's taking so long to unlock Drow faction. I'm never gonna finish my first stupid reincarnation.
You actually can't, your "spells cast" stat just increases while offline a certain rate for each autocast upgrade you have unlocked. It has absolutely no relation to your online mana generation or autocast setup.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Aurgh. I'm never gonna get 10k spells cast.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I think it's total, not in one game, which means you don't have to be evil, which means you can do it as angels in a few hours online.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Falcon2001 posted:

The other problem is that as you get bigger and bigger areas, it turns buying upgrades into a chore, rather than a puzzle. I've got the first two areas and the first area mostly unlocked but I can't be arsed to really do much since it would take like an hour or so to rejigger the whole area. I dunno if Reactor idle was better at this but I'm about to drop it and just come back much later.

Basically: the factorio-like concept of the game is pretty solid so he's got some good ideas, but the big problem is just how slow and painful it is. maybe having significantly less space would help or something.

I just unlocked the 2nd area and I'm enjoying it right now. I also just play in little spurts and refactor a piece here and there. It's always making money and I don't care enough about being min-maxed at the perfect time to want to redo everything in one go.

Overall, don't recommend if you want something quicker. I'm kind of treating it like a Factorio knockoff of the kittens game. That said I'm enjoy it and am considering tossing $3 to him to support him.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I am on the very cusp of being able to Do Things with neutral research (R24, at R gems, banging out the 25 brainwave casts + 650 lightning strikes :shepface:)

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Sindai posted:

I think it's total, not in one game, which means you don't have to be evil, which means you can do it as angels in a few hours online.

Oh of course. I'm stupid.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Im trying for goblin 1 challenge, which just takes time/luck. How do i know when i got it?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The icon for the challenge will change, a wedge of the spell upgrade icon above it will fill in, and there'll be green checkmark on it when you play goblins that shows the bonus you got from completing it is active.

Basically don't worry you can't miss it.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Sindai posted:

The icon for the challenge will change, a wedge of the spell upgrade icon above it will fill in, and there'll be green checkmark on it when you play goblins that shows the bonus you got from completing it is active.

Basically don't worry you can't miss it.

do i need anything before i actually start the challenge? Do you mean the icon in the trophies tab? Im on R3 as i have the mercs thing in my upgrades

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

You need challenges and bloodlines unlocked. Then run Goblin/Goblin and cross your fingers. All requirements for each challenge are listed on the challenge.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

So challenges can only be done after R7? as that is when bloodlines open?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Tier 2 challenges require bloodlines. Tier 1 challenges only require the faction spell upgrade from the secret trophy.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Klungar posted:

Tier 2 challenges require bloodlines. Tier 1 challenges only require the faction spell upgrade from the secret trophy.

Think i only have the elf and fairy secret trophies. And both of those challenges seem a bit out of my reach atm.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Most challenges are easiest at the end of an R, when you've got enough gems to reincarnate again (or close to that). Some challenges don't give a poo poo though. All challenges, to my recollection, can be safely done in the first R they're available, though a handful become easier if you wait (demon 1 comes to mind).

All spell upgrade trophies are pretty trivial to get as early as R0 (I think fairy's actually one of the harder ones of those), so take a break to knock those out in the meantime. NB that for the elf, undead, and angel ones which care about time of day/day of week, you can change your system clock and have it count. (Changing system clock won't help for much of anything else important, but it does help for those unlocks.)

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
So I'm slowly progressing through trimps (zone 45ish is where I slow down now) and was just checking in to make sure I'm not a complete idiot. I assume spend bones on imps first? The world ones seem better than the map ones to me. I know I'm prestiging suboptimally since I could easily get better helium returns doing it earlier, but I'm addicted to challenges. I'm about to hit up scientist 2, and guess I'm just wondering if there's anything I should be shooting for other than slowly prestiging into power to get to 60 eventually.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

Vil posted:

Most challenges are easiest at the end of an R, when you've got enough gems to reincarnate again (or close to that). Some challenges don't give a poo poo though. All challenges, to my recollection, can be safely done in the first R they're available, though a handful become easier if you wait (demon 1 comes to mind).

All spell upgrade trophies are pretty trivial to get as early as R0 (I think fairy's actually one of the harder ones of those), so take a break to knock those out in the meantime. NB that for the elf, undead, and angel ones which care about time of day/day of week, you can change your system clock and have it count. (Changing system clock won't help for much of anything else important, but it does help for those unlocks.)

Ok i'll look up the race spells. Just got goblin. I have to at least abdicate in order to try the challenge or i can get it after i buy the spell? (this is for goblins)

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Eldercain posted:

So I'm slowly progressing through trimps (zone 45ish is where I slow down now) and was just checking in to make sure I'm not a complete idiot. I assume spend bones on imps first? The world ones seem better than the map ones to me. I know I'm prestiging suboptimally since I could easily get better helium returns doing it earlier, but I'm addicted to challenges. I'm about to hit up scientist 2, and guess I'm just wondering if there's anything I should be shooting for other than slowly prestiging into power to get to 60 eventually.
I think the optimal is only, in order, production, population, breed speed, then spend the rest on duplicating good helium runs.

Instead I am buying them all because it's there and any map imp is better than a voidsnimp.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

All the bone imps in Trimps are good. Don't worry about throwing bones at helium until you've got them all.

Meskhenet posted:

Ok i'll look up the race spells. Just got goblin. I have to at least abdicate in order to try the challenge or i can get it after i buy the spell? (this is for goblins)

For a challenge you must only meet its requirements (of which an unlisted one is always "be playing as the faction in question"). Unless the challenge has a time limit on it (list below), you can do it whenever you like. So no, you don't have to start from a fresh abdication.

So in the case of goblin 1, so long as you're R2+, you're playing goblins, and you've unlocked and purchased the goblin spell upgrade, it's just a matter of twiddling your thumbs and waiting for Green Fingers Discount to roll high enough. One quirk to that particular challenge is that it only works properly when online (GFD is calculated differently for offline time), so leave the game online but idle, rather than offline, while you wait.

Challenges with time limits:

Fairy 1, 2, 3
Elf 1, 2
Angel 1, 2
Demon 2
Druid 4
Dwarf 2

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Please tell me that at some R I get to skip the brain numbing tedium that is Lightning Forge, because goddamn, that is an enjoyment killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Klungar posted:

Please tell me that at some R I get to skip the brain numbing tedium that is Lightning Forge, because goddamn, that is an enjoyment killer.
You do. Eventually you never go Mercenaries at all, but it takes a while.