Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Carecat posted:

Valve actually enforce some quality control on Greenlight.

http://mmofallout.com/not-massive-valve-just-struck-down-digital-homicide/

It's pretty cool that all it takes to get your games taken off of Steam is drawing the ire of an obnoxious unfunny internet video reviews man and his fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
youtubers literally control the world now

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Guy Mann posted:

It's pretty cool that all it takes to get your games taken off of Steam is drawing the ire of an obnoxious unfunny internet video reviews man and his fans.

Yes that is all they did wrong.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Guy Mann posted:

Wow, you're dumb. Their games weren't taken off steam, their greenlight games were just marked as 'incompatible' whatever that means.
They currently have over 20 versions of the same lovely space invaders clone on greenlight and they have added another 5 games in the day since that article was published. I really don't know how anyone can defend them at this point.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
So, I just spent a chunk of my weekend on Dead Island, Definitive Edition, and I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone. The graphics are better, but looking bad was never really a problem the old version had, and it's all fairly subtle stuff, like better lighting effects, god rays and water. The gameplay remains unchanged, as far as I can tell, with the first act being fun enough, if repetitive, and everything suddenly turning to utter poo poo in the second act. There's not one big thing which makes it unplayable, it's a combination of minor things like:

1) You now have access to weapons that electrify and incinerate enemies. When these enemies die, they damage you if you walk over their corpses.
2) Some normal zombies can throw knives at you, which for some reason are a one hit kill unless you're close to max health. Apparently you're supposed to be able to dodge them, but usually by the time you realised they've thrown them, you're already dead.
3) Lots of enemies give off poison gas, which makes the screen hard to see if you stand near them or their dead bodies.
4) There are lots of living people everywhere, who shoot you on sight. They're pretty easy to kill, since their bullets do gently caress all damage, but the gun play feels floaty and unsatisfying compared to meaty melee combat.
5) So many bullshit MMO side quests, like "Fix 4 live speakers" and "Turn off 4 fire hydrants". This is actually a problem in act 1 as well, but I was out of patience by act 2 so it bugged me more.
6) The "Use a special power" button is the same as the "Use a health kit" button, so I kept doing the latter when I meant to do the former.
7) The enemies get much more aggressive, frequently running up behind you when you're not looking and doing a ton of damage before you realize where they are

I think if you playing coop were with a few friends, it wouldn't as much of a problem, but even then, I honestly think you'd have more fun playing Borderlands 1/2.

streetsonfire
Apr 18, 2013

And I don't know what's good
for me

Alan_Shore posted:

Witcher 2 update: the game is much better than the tutorial indicates. It looks amazing too, and runs perfectly on my 980m, which always makes me feel special. The world is just so interesting. The sneak mechanics suck though, it took me so many tries to get out of the dungeon without killing anyone.

The battle system is a bit clunky though. I mainly just roll around and shoot Igni. I tried to kill the Edregga Queen and she just kicked my rear end so bad. I can't even see what I should do, I guess it'll be more rolling around and chipping away her health with Igni. Not the most enjoyable way to fight but the world makes up for it.

If you wanna cheese it, make like 15-20 grapeshot bombs and just dump on her. Cedric sells the recipe if you don't have it already.

That should completely kill her or at least get her within one or two shots of igni.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

streetsonfire posted:

If you wanna cheese it, make like 15-20 grapeshot bombs and just dump on her. Cedric sells the recipe if you don't have it already.

That should completely kill her or at least get her within one or two shots of igni.

I DO wanna cheese it! Thanks, I'll give that a try! Also, what path is best? I'm goona max out training before selecting mage/sword/alchemist

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Guy Mann posted:

God i haven't typed this is a long time but, Lurk More

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Only about 24hrs left of the free weekend but it is worth checking out Atlas Reactor

Simultaneous turn based team battles.

A bit similar to xcom multiplayer if you controlled 1 character on the team and everyone went at once (with different abilities having different priorities so you can strategise with your team).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAknvq2wZdQ

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Alan_Shore posted:

I DO wanna cheese it! Thanks, I'll give that a try! Also, what path is best? I'm goona max out training before selecting mage/sword/alchemist

Yeah, one thing to remember is Cheesing is Encouraged in the witcher. The whole idea is to be prepared for big fightsso read up on monster weaknesses etc. The combat quickly gets better once you have some skill points invested too. You should also be prepared for the fact that the final boss of act 1 is a bitch and a half (though I hear he was toned down in a patch sometime). It was a real act of frustration for me to take him down but also, I am bad at vidja games

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Guy Mann posted:

And to have the games be, y'know, loving horrible.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Justin_Brett posted:

And to have the games be, y'know, loving horrible.
When has that ever affected greenlight in the past?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Because their business model seems to be putting a ton of really bad games onto the store for cheap, made with stuff they just bought on the Unity store. The lawsuit probably made Valve notice what they were doing.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

What exactly is the money making idea behind releasing all that? Reap in all the sales from sarcastic youtube riff reviewers buying the games?

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

resistentialism posted:

What exactly is the money making idea behind releasing all that? Reap in all the sales from sarcastic youtube riff reviewers buying the games?

Yea

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

resistentialism posted:

As unlikely as it seems, trading cards. Which explains why they have been splitting up games so each will have it own set of cards. Then they give away tens of thousands of free steam keys and reap the (tiny) profits.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I think it's been mentioned before but Khimera: Destroy All Monster Girls is pretty good and it's kind of weird to me that it's a free game, unless it's supposed to serve more as promotional material for something else down the line. The gameplay and controls are kind of rough at first, but the more I played, the better it felt and by the end after getting all the movement power-ups, you can really zip through stages. Issues like the default attack having a very small radius is always a thing, but honestly not much of a problem considering your other attacks, mainly the dash punch, are way too useful. You can practically dash punch damage race every boss encounter and not have any issue.

What makes it fun to play is it is a pretty charming game. It's like a poor man's Shovel Knight/Shantae hybrid stylistically. There's a hub town with characters that are amusing enough to talk to and gets more characters added to it as you do stuff. The overworld map is done in a mario 3/shovel knight style. Even stuff like the checkpoints are kind of interesting. There are collectibles that are reasonable to collect if you're into that type of poo poo, too.

So if you like playing 2d games, you might as well give this one a chance since it's free. It relies more game personality than gameplay, so if you don't dig it there, you might not like it much since the gameplay is admittedly kind of flawed in areas. The font is also not good and the item menu, while laid out well, would be easier to use if you could just cancel out of it rather than having to scroll to unpause. I liked it and it took me around 4-5 hours to do pretty much everything in it and would buy a future product from the developers.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
While I catchup with thread can anyone :words: me on 12 is better than six?

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

corn in the bible posted:

12 is better than 6 owns owns owns

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

Nevvy Z posted:

12 is made up of the numbers 1 and 2. Coming in first and second is much better than coming in 6th.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nevvy Z posted:

Maybe ask the Final Fantasy thread.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

this is what happens when you beat Legend (1994)

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Alan_Shore posted:

They're all good and viable, but whichever you pick, you should really get the perk out of the sword tree that doubles your dodge distance. Makes a huge difference. It doesn't have any prerequisites so it's a low-investment grab, too.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Meowbot posted:

I only got a litlte bit of time this morning to play onechanbara but it still wasnt a fever dream that I was asleep dremaing its a n awesome game with cool taunt animations chainsaws and so much more

i think illstart it over and take screenshots so o ucan see my journey im loving it this is my JAMI would do a lets play but i dont think anyone cares enough to see my skills put to the test I cant even do cool combos so i guess im nto cool but these girls are so cool fuckin hi ll this game is good

the bosses have al ot of hp tho and im kind of gettins weaty playing it not because of the butt cracks but becuase of the huge hea]th bars

Transform more! Cool combos would also help, as they do more damage. There is an accessory you can get that will make cool combos easier.

Meowbot
Oct 12, 2005

I havent had a plrecription for my eyes in years so the other day I went and got a new one and it hasnt changed. The doctor was like why havent you seen us in 4 years? I told them im scared of op tomietris when the air shoots into your eyes and dilation. They told me my eyes cold get worse....

Light Gun Man posted:

Transform more! Cool combos would also help, as they do more damage. There is an accessory you can get that will make cool combos easier.

icej ust bveen upgfrading the guns but should I be upgrading the ski9lls (that would be next but i Havent done it yet )

someone mentioned that the input lag or whatever and yea this does NOT feel like devil ma ycry or god hand even but this game is god hand meets devil may cry with bad controls with super cute fun ny girls dont play it in japaense the english dialogue is amazing now that I got faps ready I can take screneshots for yalal of my journey at least through the beginnin so more people are like gently caress yea! and bust through walls on hosed up lookin women creatures wielding chainwsaws

best dialoge uin the game

"hey funbags

wake up bitch!"

i want that for my avatar on somethingawful but I dont have a 10 to make it ill show you soon its AWESOme

oh yeah thanks for thae dvice but if I cant do COOL combos (I can with saki srot of but not really) and I like kasura and ayays unless im using the chainsaw girl what are good skills to upgrade?

Ahhhhhhh its so good ut makes mee crayz

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Kagura's blades-on-a-ribbon weapon are pretty ridiculous, and her ecstasy moves are also pretty good, so I tend to play as her. Especially the one that makes blood clones, that rules for bosses and poo poo. Runner up for me is two-blade Aya.

Of course, you should play whoever you are having the most fun with though!

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I love playing as Saki and Saaya because pugilisting the poo poo outta monsters never gets old.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Furnaceface posted:

I hope you dont do this all month because youre making me want to buy Startopia (again) and reinstall Port Royale and I already have enough on my plate with Stellaris and Total War Warhamer and soon Hearts of Iron 4. :argh:

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON REVIEWS! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

1. Banished
2. StarTopia
3. Imperium Romanum Gold Edition
4. Port Royale 2

5. 1849

Fostering a rough-and-tumble western town sounds like a good time to me, but alternatives to the traditional city-builder don't always go as planned. The balance between expansion and resources is a delicate one, and straying too far from the middle can be disastrous. 1849 has the right look of a builder and starts off well enough, but you'll soon find it doesn't go much further than that.

As the name and the stylings might imply, 1849 is set around the time of the gold rush in the western U.S. wherein thousands of scruffy types made their way to California to grub for gold. Your job is to build settlements for them across several different scenarios, sometimes focusing on trade or a specific resource, other times going for a certain population level. You provide plots for migrants to set up homes on, and those plots upgrade automatically based on the resources you provide. They need food, firewood, booze, hides, and so on if you want to move much past a shantytown.

If you've got it in your head already that you're going to be building your very own Deadwood or watching drunken cow-punchers brawl at your saloons, let me stop you right there. 1849 is a very basic city-builder that hinges entirely on the flow of goods through your settlements. You build wheat farms to make wheat, bakeries to turn wheat into bread, and so on. The only action you'll see is some hot & heavy wheelbarrow pushing through your crowded streets. All resources flow through your warehouse at the center of town, so don't get too creative with your layouts because you want all your production buildings as close to the center as possible.

That's not the only limitation the game has for you, either. Your income is based on rent from your residential plots. All of your production buildings cost you money in wages to operate, so you're looking for the perfect balance between residents and wages. Unfortunately, it doesn't exist. You'll need twice as many residents as can work at your buildings to turn any sort of profit, and unemployed settlers become criminals who steal from your buildings and disrupt production. If you have too many residents the criminals will strangle your cash flow, and if you have too few you can't afford to run your buildings. This means no matter what, your town is going to be lopsided towards unemployment and criminals are going to be forever nibbling at your bottom line.

There's trading to do between cities but it is the laziest possible implementation of such a system. Each scenario has a short list of things you can buy and things you can sell. To start trading one resource you pay a huge up-front fee, and then after that you can exchange goods for money instantly. I assume this is how you supplant your income without spawning criminals but there's no automation to it, you just have to remember to push the "give money" button every few minutes. It's also easy for your city to stagnate under this system if you don't open a key route at the right time, because your balance of residents can get out of hand and keep you from saving up the money to open the route needed to prosper.

You'll find no end of little aggravations like this in 1849. Once fire brigades are introduced you MUST build them immediately or every single one of your houses will inevitably burst into flames. There are no tools to track production rates of resources so it's trial-and-error figuring out how many farms and bakeries are needed for a given population. The maps are also depressingly small, preventing you from building a sprawling frontier city. Not that you would be able to anyway, since there's a very limited number of buildings that all look very similar. The sound design is adequate but the graphics are a blurry mish-mash that will offend your eyes unless you're playing as far zoomed out as possible. It's not the worst way to spend an hour or two but you're not going to find any of the freedom or growth that is the cornerstone of the genre. And that's doubly ironic for a game about westward expansion.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

Alan_Shore posted:

Witcher 2 update: the game is much better than the tutorial indicates. It looks amazing too, and runs perfectly on my 980m, which always makes me feel special. The world is just so interesting. The sneak mechanics suck though, it took me so many tries to get out of the dungeon without killing anyone.

The battle system is a bit clunky though. I mainly just roll around and shoot Igni. I tried to kill the Edregga Queen and she just kicked my rear end so bad. I can't even see what I should do, I guess it'll be more rolling around and chipping away her health with Igni. Not the most enjoyable way to fight but the world makes up for it.

Witcher 2 was good but 3 made it look like complete garbage. The side of W2 where you have to go to some Harpy cave is one of the worst levels in all of games in the last decade. I still enjoyed it but gently caress that entire level

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Alan_Shore posted:

Don't bother maxing the training tree, some of it is essential (+1 vigor) and most of it is really forgettable (more throwing knife damage :geno:) while skill points are fairly limited so you want to go down one of the real trees as soon as possible so you can get to the awesome stuff like instant kill chance and the adrenaline abilities.

Lonely Rolling Star
Mar 20, 2009

Better than a crowbar.
So apparently my half year of accrued Steam credit can be used on Steam hardware as well as games. So I've now got a Steam controller on the way. Can't wait to complain about the lack of a d-pad and shelve it in a week.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Does anyone play the Ghost in the Shell game?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah, it was a really underrated game IMO, one of the real hidden gems of Playstation 1.

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

Gerblyn posted:

So, I just spent a chunk of my weekend on Dead Island, Definitive Edition, and I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone. The graphics are better, but looking bad was never really a problem the old version had, and it's all fairly subtle stuff, like better lighting effects, god rays and water. The gameplay remains unchanged, as far as I can tell, with the first act being fun enough, if repetitive, and everything suddenly turning to utter poo poo in the second act. There's not one big thing which makes it unplayable, it's a combination of minor things like:

1) You now have access to weapons that electrify and incinerate enemies. When these enemies die, they damage you if you walk over their corpses.
2) Some normal zombies can throw knives at you, which for some reason are a one hit kill unless you're close to max health. Apparently you're supposed to be able to dodge them, but usually by the time you realised they've thrown them, you're already dead.
3) Lots of enemies give off poison gas, which makes the screen hard to see if you stand near them or their dead bodies.
4) There are lots of living people everywhere, who shoot you on sight. They're pretty easy to kill, since their bullets do gently caress all damage, but the gun play feels floaty and unsatisfying compared to meaty melee combat.
5) So many bullshit MMO side quests, like "Fix 4 live speakers" and "Turn off 4 fire hydrants". This is actually a problem in act 1 as well, but I was out of patience by act 2 so it bugged me more.
6) The "Use a special power" button is the same as the "Use a health kit" button, so I kept doing the latter when I meant to do the former.
7) The enemies get much more aggressive, frequently running up behind you when you're not looking and doing a ton of damage before you realize where they are

I think if you playing coop were with a few friends, it wouldn't as much of a problem, but even then, I honestly think you'd have more fun playing Borderlands 1/2.

I quite like this game. I bought Dead Island in a sale and didn't make it past the first little bit before getting bored. This new version is much more fun and seems like Dying Light without the annoying platforming/parkour segments. I have noticed the zombies run straight for you a la Borderlands and this is frustrating in single player but combat in Dead Island is very easy. I can't really say what it is I like about it other than the movement and combat work much better on this new engine, and the graphical bits that annoyed me now don't.

Zombies sneaking up behind you is pretty cool because they are loud and you can hear them coming.

Simply for the joy of being a little asian lady smashing hordes of zombies with my bare fists and winning, this was well worth the $3 upgrade.

bad day fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 6, 2016

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Freak Futanari posted:

Yeah, it was a really underrated game IMO, one of the real hidden gems of Playstation 1.

....The steam FPS one...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Freak Futanari posted:

Sakurazuka posted:

I never miss an opportunity to post the intro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0UBycyZb6w

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

GreenBuckanneer posted:

....The steam FPS one...

It's good if you like bad Korean MMOFPS games.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

GreenBuckanneer posted:

yeah its really good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KzrtrXEzEY&t=165s

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

GreenBuckanneer posted:

....The steam FPS one...
It's a really bland and generic codterstrike alike (domination mode, ctf mode, counterstrike one-life-only bomb mode) that has basically nothing to do with the show other than 4 of the character models and playing short bits of the anime in a tiny window in some of the menus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4va_1o5ao4

You don't even get to drive the spider tanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

:anime:

• Locked thread