Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

For some reason, sounds I put in my CoC directory don't get picked up. sounds\ambient\random etc don't do a drat thing. Some sounds must be working - AO3 works fine.

Any suggestions? Am I dumber than most?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Ddraig posted:

The latter. We went and it was cool.

How much did you spend in bribes to get in?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Missing Name posted:

For some reason, sounds I put in my CoC directory don't get picked up. sounds\ambient\random etc don't do a drat thing. Some sounds must be working - AO3 works fine.

Any suggestions? Am I dumber than most?

If you've got mods installed there's a folder called gamedata that has a duplicate file structure to the main game directory and it'll look there for assets before the vanilla directories. Try there.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Klaus88 posted:

Not sure if you are joking, there are legal guided tours.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Not sure if you are joking, there are legal guided tours.

Yeah, and how much in bribes do you gotta pay to get to there? :v:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

If you're coming from the east, about 2 SAMs

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Oberleutnant posted:

If you've got mods installed there's a folder called gamedata that has a duplicate file structure to the main game directory and it'll look there for assets before the vanilla directories. Try there.

Exactly where it is. I hosed with AO3 sounds and that worked, so...?

I'll try later

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Hey bros. Is the OP still current with respect to mods, or has something newer and better come along? For any of the three games.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
Does anyone know how to get Arsenal Overhaul to work with Warfare mod for Call of Chernobyl?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

NeoSeeker posted:

Does anyone know how to get Arsenal Overhaul to work with Warfare mod for Call of Chernobyl?

Whats the problem? After installing CoC and updating to 3.1.2, I install AO by dragging and dropping the gamedata, same with Warfare right after.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
It crashes right after I press New Game in the main menu.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 22, 2016

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Node posted:

Hey bros. Is the OP still current with respect to mods, or has something newer and better come along? For any of the three games.

well the OP and second post were last edited in 2013, so

dunno what's come out since though!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Klaus88 posted:

Despite popular belief I'd imagine it would actually be incredibly difficult to do this. I guess it would technically be possible to sneak in or bribe your way in but it would probably be more difficult and more expensive than to just go through the official sources, seeing as how there's about three checkpoints and an entire radioactive forest to go through if you want to sneak in.

It makes for a nice romantic story but the easiest way to get in is just plain bureaucracy.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
did you take any pictures

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
My girlfriend is the better photographer so she took plenty, so I'll get them off her.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Photoshop bloodsucker eyes into a dark corner, post on reddit, go viral, feel like you wasted your time anyway.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Photoshop bloodsucker eyes into a dark corner, post on reddit, go viral, feel like you wasted your time anyway.

The latter point is pretty good, I feel. I mean, we got to see a lot of abandoned buildings but at times it's pretty much like walking through a badly constructed set because of all the people who've been through there before staging photographs and not really taking any consideration to keep it as they found it. There's not a single original photograph to be had there.

As an avid boyscout back in the day, I firmly believe in the credo of "Leave things better than you found them", except in fringe cases like this where people want to see things as they originally were, and not your particular 'improved' version etc.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I'm looking to start a replay of Call of Pripyat soon and I'd like to spruce up the visuals a bit and maybe do a bit of bugfixing (if it's needed?), no big overhauls.

Atmosfear looks good for visuals. Anything else to recommend?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Avocados posted:

Whats the problem? After installing CoC and updating to 3.1.2, I install AO by dragging and dropping the gamedata, same with Warfare right after.

So I have CoC 1.2 installed, I drop in AO3 the game runs fine. Then as soon as I drop in Warfare and the patch for AO3 it stops working.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

NeoSeeker posted:

So I have CoC 1.2 installed, I drop in AO3 the game runs fine. Then as soon as I drop in Warfare and the patch for AO3 it stops working.

Most likely culprit is that Warfare and the patch are using an old script for COC that is incompatible with the current version. I suspect this may be the case as Darryl has been making GBS threads out COC stuff so much it's insane, and I'd imagine it would be hard for most mod makers to keep up.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Yeah, like herds of six + bloodsuckers cornering you in Yantar

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

For all I've been bitching about SGM 2.2's stupid poo poo, I'm starting to have a ton of fun with it. I got a Jellyfish so I don't have to give a poo poo about running through radioactive water, and I got the AK-74 with a Kobra and suppressor. It even has higher damage than a normal AK-74. The AI is still decent, especially since I'm playing on Master, but they don't seem to magically know where I am if I don't instantly kill somebody anymore, and their poor vision after dark makes it a lot of fun to creep around the perimeter with night vision picking off bandits with a silenced gun.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Missing Name posted:

Exactly where it is. I hosed with AO3 sounds and that worked, so...?

I'll try later

How are you saving and commenting your sound files?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SocketWrench posted:

Yeah, like herds of six + bloodsuckers cornering you in Yantar

Press 1 and https://gfycat.com/ColdShockedAdmiralbutterfly

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Nevermind, I installed the CoC 1.2.22 patch and the new AO3 3.4.4 and NPCs give quests again. Also hotkeys for commanding squadmates, really awesome addition. And the economy seems fixed, along with a bunch of things that seemed off with the initial release.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 25, 2016

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

How are you saving and commenting your sound files?

Standard audacity settings. As a test, I copied the entire MISERY ambient folder over and it didn't do anything either.

All to get rid of ratchant.ogg

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Missing Name posted:

Standard audacity settings. As a test, I copied the entire MISERY ambient folder over and it didn't do anything either.

All to get rid of ratchant.ogg

Are your sounds at 4400hz?

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Is there any way in the gamefiles to increase squad size in Call of Chernobyl?

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

MariusLecter posted:

Are your sounds at 4400hz?

Yep.

There's a slight possibility that the .exe has modified directories, so my folder names could be wrong. But why would they do that?

This seems to be the only folder set that isn't being read.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
What is the go to mod these days? I've been playing various versions of sgm for years now and feel like switching to something new.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

floor is lava posted:

What is the go to mod these days? I've been playing various versions of sgm for years now and feel like switching to something new.

Call of Chernobyl - http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/downloads
+ AO3.4.4 - http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/addons/ao-for-call-of-chernobyl

CoC 1.4 patch is in the pipes, adding spawns into interior spaces like the labs and NPP interior.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
A free roam mod. Cool. Gonna give it a go. Thanks.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

How long does it take for NPC squads to be friendly again? Sid wanted me to off this mercenary, and I'm crouched in a hidey hole. So far none of the others have turned hostile, but the moment they see me, they turn red and shoot. (CoC 1.32, AO3)

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS
I recently decided to check out CoC with AO installed, and I can't tell if I'm out of practice, or if things are just somehow tuned to be exceptionally brutal. My first start was as a Loner, and I found myself sandwiched between both of the military blockades with no real way to negotiate my way through due to the faction being KoS. After a while, I just gave up, because I had no luck punching my way through either of them. The second time, I started with Clear Sky, and things were a lot better initially. But, eventually, taking a mission to bring a PDA to Nimble, I find myself more or less in the exact same position. Is there something I'm forgetting, or is the Cordon in general just a total murderfuck no matter what? I beat SoC on Master, and I remember the end feeling like such a painful slog that I thought "Man, I'm going to play on normal from now on." Even on "Stalker" in CoC, I am still getting wrecked in a couple of shots. I feel like I remember that always being the case in the beginning, but I can't quite remember how to get around it. Do I just take mutant killing missions in the Great Swamp area until I can buy some better armor, or is that experience basically CoC in a nutshell?

Is there a different recommended start or any other advice anyone's got for getting a foothold?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

An ecologist start is super easy. You can go straight from Yanov to the bar. There might be a few zombies in Yanov and a few bandits in Wild Territory, but that's it. You're neutral to most factions as an Ecologist, including mercs and I think military.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Nails posted:

I recently decided to check out CoC with AO installed, and I can't tell if I'm out of practice, or if things are just somehow tuned to be exceptionally brutal. My first start was as a Loner, and I found myself sandwiched between both of the military blockades with no real way to negotiate my way through due to the faction being KoS. After a while, I just gave up, because I had no luck punching my way through either of them. The second time, I started with Clear Sky, and things were a lot better initially. But, eventually, taking a mission to bring a PDA to Nimble, I find myself more or less in the exact same position. Is there something I'm forgetting, or is the Cordon in general just a total murderfuck no matter what? I beat SoC on Master, and I remember the end feeling like such a painful slog that I thought "Man, I'm going to play on normal from now on." Even on "Stalker" in CoC, I am still getting wrecked in a couple of shots. I feel like I remember that always being the case in the beginning, but I can't quite remember how to get around it. Do I just take mutant killing missions in the Great Swamp area until I can buy some better armor, or is that experience basically CoC in a nutshell?

Is there a different recommended start or any other advice anyone's got for getting a foothold?

There's a secondary cordon to garage path vaguely northwest of the weapons guy's compound.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

Military is actually pretty easy as well. Neutral with duty and ecologists which are both well equipped factions and both have traders that sell the best suits in the game. Also endless supply of well armed and armored buddies from the start. And Helicopter strikes if there's one in the area and you have buddies to call it in.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 6, 2016

Nails
Oct 29, 2004

MALIGNANTLY USELESS
I get the feeling that the go-to strategy is dragging a friendly recruit squad into a firefight and/or kiting any enemy factions back to the base and then looting the corpses until you find a workable rifle and selling the rest until you can get some better armor. I got really lucky and managed to loot a scoped AK-47 variant of some kind that does more damage than a normal one. Found a sunrise suit in the swamps, so I'm okay now. That helicopter is the worst though.

I'll be sure to check into a military and ecologist start too if I get stuck. Thanks guys!

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

The BEST way to make money hands down is to collect fallen weapons that are 60/55% and up damaged and use a repair kit on them once and they're at 70%~ or whatever sellable is.

Repair kits cost 2250. But considering it can make 3 rifles buyable it's well worth the investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
Policing weapons for ammo and attachments works real well, esp if you pick up AP rounds. They're generally a lot lighter too so you can load up and not have to make space as often