Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HGH
Dec 20, 2011
That reminds me, when Naruto first used the Rasenshuriken, Tsunade went up to him and was all like "If you keep using that technique you'll destroy your nervous system and shorten your life span".
Now keep an eye on how many Rasenshurikens we toss from here on out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

HGH posted:

That reminds me, when Naruto first used the Rasenshuriken, Tsunade went up to him and was all like "If you keep using that technique you'll destroy your nervous system and shorten your life span".
Now keep an eye on how many Rasenshurikens we toss from here on out.

There's a work-around to that and I don't think it's ever really explained or anything but basically by using different forms of chakra (because there are different kinds of chakra) he can "coat" the Rasenshuriken is protective chakra such that the chakra shrapnel from the technique doesn't rip him to poo poo. This only works in Sage Mode or another power mode he'll gain later though.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
I thought it was because in Sage Mode he could extend his chakra away from his body so he didn't have to, like, actually touch him. So more a protective coat around himself than the shuriken, which is sort of a dumb difference of semantics but hey it's nart (featuring father mint) dumb semantics are sort of the name of the game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I would think he'd just go 'oh okay' and make sure to only let his clones be the ones to throw the things from now on, but sure, a radiation shield protective layer of chakra clingwrap makes about as much sense too I guess.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The original problem with the Rasenshuriken is it creates a sphere of nearly absolute destruction that rips everything inside to really small pieces. Naruto fixes this by throwing the thing instead of holding it and shoving it into people. Far more dangerous to his life span is letting the Kyuubi hit 4-tails or higher, because at that point the Chakra cloak is dissolving his skin. The reason the higher tailed forms for him look like a roving mass of red and black is because it's actually his blood and flesh being used to replicate that of the Kyuubi.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Doesn't he almost always-in game at the least-have a Clone do the making of the various Rasentechniques? I assumed the clone just kinda makes it in such a way that he doesn't actually touch the thing directly.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Even in official stuff he usually has the clones do stuff but throws the final product himself, because he's too stupid/not skilled enough to do all the steps required for each move alone. So he divides the tasks between clones.
Although there's an occasion or two where he'll have the clone use the attack and have it whiff as a distraction.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The main reason he uses the Clones is he can't do the shaping himself and focus on giving the Chakra, because he has so much Chakra that finesse is nearly impossible unless he focuses entirely on controlling how much Chakra he uses. Instead he gets around his lack of Chakra Control by having someone else do it, this is also why he's good at incorporating other Chakra/Energy in the Rasengan, as he's used to having the Clone shape it by supplying small amounts of Chakra. Rasenshuriken involves wind Chakra for example, and in most of the movies whatever the newest special energy ends up getting used.

It's not a mental thing it's a physical thing, he actually knows all the steps for the Rasengan. It's like why he can't use normal clones but can spam shadow clones for forever, one requires such small amounts of Chakra that learning that amount of control would take forever, the other requires so much that using it can kill people and Naruto gets to ignore that because he's a nearly endless supply of Chakra. I mean the other large user of Shadow Clones is Kakashi and he creates at most 50-100 in part 1, Naruto can create over 1000 in Part 1 and still fight at pretty much peak performance.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

what if every naruto clone is just the soul of every headband wearing middle schooler who died doing the naruto run

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

I haven't listened to the cast yet, but there's nothing this season that caught my attention, so my anime opinions are safely sealed away. The world is safe for another generation.
Now I've listened to the cast, and I'm going to watch Tanaka-kun on Jordan's recommendation, because the last time I watched something based on a Choco Disaster review it worked out really well. Haruchika is super good. It's one of those things that's so thematically-cohesive and casually progressive that it makes me despair for video games. It's a sad state of affairs when an anime adaptation of a young adult novel is on par with your most sophisticated classics.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

The Naruto update is gonna be going up on Monday since I have weekend plans, but you all will be able to enjoy it on Memorial Day and take the holiday time to remember the sacrifices Naruto's parents made for the Hidden Leaf Village.

FutureFriend posted:

what if every naruto clone is just the soul of every headband wearing middle schooler who died doing the naruto run

Also the brave souls who continue to fight the good fight and do the Naruto run, particularly at the several anime cons going on this weekend.
Apropos of that, one of my favorite con things was seeing a Travis Touchdown cosplayer crossing the street while doing that awful sword-akimbo run he does in No More Heroes.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

ChorpSaway posted:

remember the sacrifices Naruto's parents made for the Hidden Leaf Village.

Truly it is not Naruto but his parents who are Ninja-Jesus. Which makes Naruto a Ninja-Dan Brown plot device.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

White Coke posted:

a Ninja-Dan Brown plot device.

Angels and Nine-Tailed-Fox Demons

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

FutureFriend posted:

there's not enough clones for it to be that

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Naruto actually did learn how to create rasengans the normal way during the time skip but found out that using clones he could make them better and do things like the Big Ball Rasengan or the Rasenshuriken. Konohamaru (baby not appearing in this game) also does the Rasengan with clones but that's because he's an idiot who's just copying naruto

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, Madara has taken control of the Nine Tails, having taken advantage of a weakness in the jinchuriki sealing technique. Minato has his attentions split between the village and his family, but will he be able to find a solution that can protect both? What about present day Naruto? Wasn't he busy doing something? Well whatever, it's time for the end of Chapter 4, The Birth of Naruto!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
This last episode was perfect in every way, commentator-wise. That loving Scooby Doo laugh at 11:26 had me laughing for a long time. Holy poo poo Kushina talks way too long and much for a dying woman. A loving LP with Minato and Kushina commentating over Naruto's life is such a perfect idea that will never happen I'm actually kind of mad about it.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Is it just me or is Kushina kind of a little terrible? Like, how is getting some baby stuff before the baby is born being "really hasty"? I mean where I come from, we call that normal preparations for having a child. I'm guessing this is just a quirk of the original text/language, but... I mean come on, stop teasing your husband for actually trying to be a good father. Also:

"I don't care what the reason was, as long as Naruto's happy."
"Minato, what are you going on about..."

I mean... what? Just, what? What exactly is so odd about a father wanting his son to be happy? Kunshina please, I get that they're going for you playing the archetype of "woman who isn't the normal stereotype of super motherly" here, but that's a bit much. I refuse to believe you cannot comprehend your husband wanting his child to be happy. Maybe she's taking something really, really strong for the morning sickness? In... in her third trimester?

What even is this bullshit long-rear end "final words" she's giving to Naruto? I can understand like, they want to shwo she's very down to earth so she has practical things to say, but, jesus. She just goes on and on and on. "I love you Naruto, always know your mom and dd love you so much" would probably be more appropriate! Naruto has good writing for its female characters, is what I'm saying.

I also feel like given the speed the ninjas have been shown to travel, the rest of the Hidden Leaf's army would have arrived before Minato used his Don't Fear The Reaper seal. Like, they were doing a good job at driving it back before, I'm sure they could have temporarily held it at bay/kept it trapped for a few days until Kushina got her strength back and could seal it. I get why that doesn't happen, because then we wouldn't have Naruto, but... it feels a bit contrived how they're having these long conversations, discussing how they're going to seal it, whether one of them will die, etc, and meanwhile no one shows up in time to help.

I think Naruto might have been somewhat better, or at least had a more interesting setting, if it actually had Minato as the main character, and took place during Ninja War 3. You'd have him, Juraiya, the 3rd Hokage, all the others. You'd have the gravitas of really big things happening from the start since they're at war, rather than having the original run of Naruto where things are pretty low-stakes, but I think that might work better that way. Really have Minato be a full character, have him worry about his son, show his motivations for wanting to end the ninja war as wanting peace not only for everyone, but so that his family can grow and thrive, his son can grow and thrive, in a world without war. You could actually show the Uchiha clan being looked down on as sort of second class citizens even though that makes no sense because they're quite powerful but whatever, show how Minato and the others think about that. Are some of them ok with how they're being treated and agree, do some of them think it's bad and want to help? I don't know, am I crazy for thinking this sounds like it would be really interesting to have been done?

Well now that I got that out of my system... what exactly happened with that Reaper Death Seal thing? Minato permanently destroyed/removed half of the fox's chakra, right? And then sealed the rest into Naruto? So everything we've seen Naruto do with it, and his potential, is half of what it could do? Does Madara know about this? Will the Fox being only half as strong possibly be enough to make him unable to enact his moon hypno ray plan?

And I can't be the only one who feels bad for Kyuubi, can I? Here he is, finally free, and now this rear end in a top hat wants to seal him away again. Inside a freaking baby. Years of time trapped without even anyone to talk to, to do anything. I can't blame it for killing Naruto's parents and trying to kill Naruto, I wouldn't want to be kept prisoner either much less kept prisoner in a freaking child. #Kyuubi_did_nothing_wrong

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Oh no, a wife playfully teasing her husband. Whatever are we to do.

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

Shoeless posted:

Is it just me or is Kushina kind of a little terrible? Like, how is getting some baby stuff before the baby is born being "really hasty"? I mean where I come from, we call that normal preparations for having a child. I'm guessing this is just a quirk of the original text/language, but... I mean come on, stop teasing your husband for actually trying to be a good father. Also:

"I don't care what the reason was, as long as Naruto's happy."
"Minato, what are you going on about..."

I mean... what? Just, what? What exactly is so odd about a father wanting his son to be happy? Kunshina please, I get that they're going for you playing the archetype of "woman who isn't the normal stereotype of super motherly" here, but that's a bit much. I refuse to believe you cannot comprehend your husband wanting his child to be happy. Maybe she's taking something really, really strong for the morning sickness? In... in her third trimester?

What even is this bullshit long-rear end "final words" she's giving to Naruto? I can understand like, they want to shwo she's very down to earth so she has practical things to say, but, jesus. She just goes on and on and on. "I love you Naruto, always know your mom and dd love you so much" would probably be more appropriate! Naruto has good writing for its female characters, is what I'm saying.

I also feel like given the speed the ninjas have been shown to travel, the rest of the Hidden Leaf's army would have arrived before Minato used his Don't Fear The Reaper seal. Like, they were doing a good job at driving it back before, I'm sure they could have temporarily held it at bay/kept it trapped for a few days until Kushina got her strength back and could seal it. I get why that doesn't happen, because then we wouldn't have Naruto, but... it feels a bit contrived how they're having these long conversations, discussing how they're going to seal it, whether one of them will die, etc, and meanwhile no one shows up in time to help.

I think Naruto might have been somewhat better, or at least had a more interesting setting, if it actually had Minato as the main character, and took place during Ninja War 3. You'd have him, Juraiya, the 3rd Hokage, all the others. You'd have the gravitas of really big things happening from the start since they're at war, rather than having the original run of Naruto where things are pretty low-stakes, but I think that might work better that way. Really have Minato be a full character, have him worry about his son, show his motivations for wanting to end the ninja war as wanting peace not only for everyone, but so that his family can grow and thrive, his son can grow and thrive, in a world without war. You could actually show the Uchiha clan being looked down on as sort of second class citizens even though that makes no sense because they're quite powerful but whatever, show how Minato and the others think about that. Are some of them ok with how they're being treated and agree, do some of them think it's bad and want to help? I don't know, am I crazy for thinking this sounds like it would be really interesting to have been done?

Well now that I got that out of my system... what exactly happened with that Reaper Death Seal thing? Minato permanently destroyed/removed half of the fox's chakra, right? And then sealed the rest into Naruto? So everything we've seen Naruto do with it, and his potential, is half of what it could do? Does Madara know about this? Will the Fox being only half as strong possibly be enough to make him unable to enact his moon hypno ray plan?

And I can't be the only one who feels bad for Kyuubi, can I? Here he is, finally free, and now this rear end in a top hat wants to seal him away again. Inside a freaking baby. Years of time trapped without even anyone to talk to, to do anything. I can't blame it for killing Naruto's parents and trying to kill Naruto, I wouldn't want to be kept prisoner either much less kept prisoner in a freaking child. #Kyuubi_did_nothing_wrong

this post is my ninja way

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

like hot drat tho, i know this thread isnt about just "lol anime" about naruto but uhmmm maybe don't take it seriously enough to write posts like that

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Lol that cutscene is longer than an episode of Naruto.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I want to point out that the animal summon thing aren't actually just toads/snakes/slugs, those are just the three that the sannin used and they're in universe cool guys so everyone in Konoha knows about them. Additionally Kakashi's summons are actually pretty unique because they aren't summon animals in the same way the toads/snakes/slugs are, they're actually his dogs that presumably live in his house and he summons them long distances with various techniques. The toads/snakes/slugs on the other hand live in unique locations around the world that only their contracted summoners can find, and might be separate dimensions. Their are other summoning contracts; for example that giant staff that the Third Hokage uses is actually the leader of the Monkey summons transformed, and Might Guy has a contract with the tortoises, Temari even has weasels and I think Itachi could summon crows.

The reason for Naruto's name is also kind of nice, he's named after the hero from Jiraiya's first book and his only book that isn't some sort of erotica. I'm also pretty sure that whilst taking half the Kyuubi's chakra shrunk him at the time he's almost literally an infinite source of the stuff so he probably regenerated some of it by the time of the first part of Naruto.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
I am too eating my vegetables mom, this instant ramen cup has five whole dried peas and carrot chunks in it!!

I'd totally be the tortoise ninja, I can already summon them irl. The trick is to offer them cucumbers :3:

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

I would summon pigeons that were also my boyfriends.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Shoeless posted:

Naruto has good writing for its female characters, is what I'm saying.

If only we all could live in your world....

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Getting MGS4 flashbacks here. Kushina's run on monologue works a lot more when it's jammed into a couple text bubbles.

Now that you've finished subjecting your co-commentators to the birth of Naruto, I look forward to the next episode in which a character I never cared about it gets written out of the story forever. Or so I remember. I'm guessing the fight ratio is gonna massively increase soon?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Magmar posted:

Might Guy has a contract with the tortoises

I get that Naruto-land has all manner of bullshit creatures with weird powers but I can not imagine how in the world a tortoise summon would be useful. Especially to Might Guy, the guy whose whole gimmick is running fast.

e: gently caress I just realized typing this that they're ninja turtles I hate you so much Naruto author.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It's ninja tortoise. Totally different.
I think Guy actually uses him all of one time in a pretty creative way. Mostly as a midair launch pad.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

The main purpose of that summon is Might Guy actually doesn't have many defensive options, so I'm assuming the Tortoise summons make up for that potential weakness. Guy just never got in a fight where his own Taijutsu wasn't enough to win and the times he did the summon probably wouldn't help regardless so it never really comes up. They also might double as training weights and throwing weapons, after all Tortoises are heavy.

The two times it shows up are the Chuunin exam, where he uses it to talk to Lee about not being an idiot and fighting before the actual exam and I think something that comes up soon.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

TwoPair posted:

I get that Naruto-land has all manner of bullshit creatures with weird powers but I can not imagine how in the world a tortoise summon would be useful. Especially to Might Guy, the guy whose whole gimmick is running fast.

Turtle shields. God, it's like you didn't even watch FutureFriend's LP of Kindom Hearts.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Turtle shields. God, it's like you didn't even watch FutureFriend's LP of Kindom Hearts.

As long as they also yell HAYLP while Guy lets them die, this is an acceptable answer.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

HGH posted:

It's ninja tortoise. Totally different.
I think Guy actually uses him all of one time in a pretty creative way. Mostly as a midair launch pad.

NOH. No. No, please. Please. Don't start bringing Mario into Naruto.

Also you guys were absolutely right about it taking loving forever for them to actually die. It's like that one girl in the movie theater from whatever Scary Movie that was from.

edit:

ChorpSaway posted:

I would summon pigeons that were also my boyfriends.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jun 1, 2016

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, we begin Chapter 5, with markedly more action than the last chapter! Naruto has finished his initial training, but that doesn't mean things are all smiles in Ninja World! Madara is hard at work preparing to start a war, and he's got his agents in the field making a move...

Characters Introduced This Update

Konan
One of the co-founders of the Akatsuki. Along with her colleague Pain, she led the Akatsuki and eventually was able to help capture several Tailed Beasts and destroy the Hidden Leaf Village. However, Naruto was able to turn them to the good side, and since then Konan has worked to stop the Akatsuki's plans for world domination. Her paper powers are still the coolest part about her.

Pain
The supposed leader and co-founder of the Akatsuki. He was one of the few wielders of the Rinnegan, considered to be the most powerful eye technique, and that's entirely why he's relevant at this point in the story. Madara is out to graverob Pain of his magic eyes and Konan is the only one who knows of his resting place.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Aw jeez, that's two cool moments that didn't really get their due.
Kisame's suicide involved trapping himself in a water bubble and then summoning a bunch of sharks to eat him alive inside it.
And like you mentioned there's Konan "I have 1 billion explosive papers set up to explode for 10 minutes" part. It was a neat visual, which is basically what most of Konan's schtick is because she's the most boring throwaway villain they had.
Bullshit magic eyes are the worst.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I barely know the plot of Naruto almost entirely from these videos and your previous LP and watching a playthrough of the last game on YT when it came out. And ya know what I really don't care to know any more, just do the pretty anime poo poo and laugh.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ChorpSaway posted:

Madara is out to graverob Pain of his magic eyes and Konan is the only one who knows of his resting place.

So I guess immunity to decomposition is another bullshit eye power? Because I mean, that guy's been dead for a while, I'm no optometrist but I can't imagine they'd stay viable for transplant that long.

Also I guess another part the game cut is Konan coughing up the location, because otherwise that whole exchange went

"Tell me where the corpse is"
"No"
*fight*
"Well I'm going to loving kill you now"

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I think he used mind-eye gibberish to get the info out of her.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't be shocked a bit. In fact I feel foolish for asking something like that when the character was in the proximity of a bullshit magic eye user.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Maybe Kishimoto thought that, if he wrote in enough bullshit eye powers, one of them would magically make Naruto the best anime/manga ever.

• Locked thread