Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

or that they search other internet websites for identifiable information and collate that information for internal use

is this doxxing? have we been doxxed? i thought redditors hate doxxing but they seem to be okay with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I can't believe that they would get so mad at someone as to tag them like some idiot using RES.

:lol::lol:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Mendrian posted:

I was sitting around this watercooler with my co-workers and this lady came into my store to buy like 30,000 dollars worth of books and basically pay our store's plan for the next week and when she was about to leave she asked me - very politely - if there was any chance she could return one or two of the books if she didn't need them. I told her yes and when she was gone I turned to my buddy and said, hey check out this special snowflake. We all had a good laugh.

I hope you followed her outside, watched which shops she went into, and then added the license plate of her car to your copy of the till receipt.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
"I hATe THis GUY SO MUCH I WILL FOrEVER REMIND MYSELF WHO HE iS SO I CAN ALWAYS HAte THIS GUY!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

alf_pogs posted:

or that they search other internet websites for identifiable information and collate that information for internal use

is this doxxing? have we been doxxed? i thought redditors hate doxxing but they seem to be okay with this

The thing is, I have a couple years worth of tickets submitted. All of them are things like "Hey, who's going to Dragon Con this year" or "What are the dates for the next ship sale" or whatever, except for the one where I asked about that loving sliding Constellation door. Now, none of my screennames are the same between here, CIG, youtube, or whatever. Which means to earn my Goon label they did one of two things:

1) they decided my original ticket (and the follow up where I called Ray Roocroft a liar) seemed a little too un-Citizenly and opted to shoot first and ask questions later.

or

2) they monitored this thread and Derek's twitter and matched up the screenshot I took of the original response to my account, proving I'm a filthy goon.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'll answer you quickly before I step out:

:drops mic:

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Milky Moor posted:

What I admire about MoMA/Toast is that he's so worried about these posts being seen by someone in power - whether that's within CiG or, hell, in a court room - he won't admit to anything that could possibly link to his real identity without saying that he's not Toast or whatever.

But he just comes in, like clockwork, whenever something bad happens to CIG and really cares about the 'bias' in this thread or their Terms of Service or poo poo that no one would care about or argue for unless they had some kind of stake in it.

It's like he doesn't get that in Real Law Stuff people have other ways of finding out the identity of the person behind a post on this dead gay comedy website.

Can you all just stop engaging him whenever he shows up, like clockwork, to derail discussions? He's not a legitimate backer, he doesn't really care about CIG, he's just here to throw out idiot white noise.

i think you're giving him too much credit

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I bet r/games would have a field day with this

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Christ, it's like they used the evil version of IBM Watson to collate everyone's identities into some super goon database.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

Christ, it's like they used the evil version of IBM Watson to collate everyone's identities into some super goon database.

This is what would have happened if Person of Interest was written by morons.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Trilobite posted:

My favorite cat in this thread is still

I just want to dance along every time I see it!

http://pussydance.ytmnd.com/

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

I wanna highfive happy dance cat too!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sunswipe posted:

Why you...

I'll hold him down, you kick him.

Can a brother get a piece of this mad mob action?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Tortolia posted:

This is what would have happened if Person of Interest was written by morons.

Yeah. I know.

Will be cool when a few of us meet up in Austin for the studio tour. What a god drat hassle that was getting passable driver licenses and stuff to get by the NDA stuff.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Holy poo poo.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Jon Do posted:

look, i made 3 payments on it so far and you ain't put poo poo

i'm so tired of your bullshit Bib... *storms out, slams door*

Well, it's TB's NOW.

hide the pets.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ManofManyAliases posted:

Absolutely not. Sunday mornings are for runs on the boardwalk and omelettes with buttered toast

How is Santa Monica this time of year?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

EminusSleepus posted:

I wonder what tags they gave to these people

Wulf Knight - pretty sure it's 'the wulge"
Karl
Beer
And among others

I am merely a Snowflake. Not even a Goon or High Maintenance.

I feel grief.

Ben Lesnick, Developer.

I feel better.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Dose blasted goons and their meddling with config files!
:arghfist:

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Never turn your back on cats. That is today's PSA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZgklu52Rus&feature=youtu.be

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I feel grief.

Ben Lesnick, Developer.

I feel better.

:monocle:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Kakarot posted:

like comment upvote subscribe and share, lets make Major Tom the #1 channel for SC content!!!!

He always gets my thumbs up.

Because he DESERVES them.

Not because of brigading.

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I feel grief.

Ben Lesnick, Developer.

I feel better.

blatant disregard for backers

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

alf_pogs posted:

So far as we can tell, yes. When a British customer support team does it for no good reason, it's illegal!

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Murderion posted:

Institutionalize insulting your customers, but don't let them see it.

:negative:

Reading the comments of the backers supporting the insulting tags tells me that they are figurative (and in some cases literal) children who have never had to deal with any level of responsibility or know how important customer satisfaction is to a professional organization. I picture them having watched Clerks and cheer on Randal for his sick burns against customers and missed the part at the end of the movie where he says he knows he's lovely at his job and really has no business thinking he's so high and mighty over them. Those redditors defending CIG's CS practices have never gone through a similar moment of reckoning in their lives because they have no frame of reference of what it means to be responsible and have accountability for their actions. They keep saying, "Well people in those positions think these things all the time," but ignore the part that no company with any credibility would ever allow such things to be a drop-down option in their ticket system, that any company with any credibility would work their hardest to ensure the company culture is to promote an atmosphere of wanting to help their customers as fully as possible, and that something like this would be met with stern disciplinary action.

Sadly, I believe nothing will come from this. CIG will just keep doing what they're doing. The gaming "press" won't pick this up or anything. If the community manager and director of spaceships who is arguably the most famous face of the company besides Chris (sorry Sandi, it's true) can proudly display his website full of racist and pedophilic thoughts and conversations and not get fired or see any backlash from their supporters, this will blow over even quicker. In 2019, after Star Citizen has long since failed, and Chris and Sandi are struggling with bankruptcy courts to keep their mo-cap studios so they can work futilely against Hollywood blacklisting to keep hobnobbing with celebrities, some techie site that purports to have credibility like Wired or Kotaku will come out with a feature article looking back at what went wrong with what was at the time the biggest crowdfunding effort in history. The ticketing fiasco will garner a paragraph or two and presented as a "oh my gosh can you believe we found this out" item and ignore the fact that it was common knowledge a few years earlier because everyone would know they weren't paying attention then.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Murderion posted:

So far as we can tell, yes. When a British customer support team does it for no good reason, it's illegal!

i don't want to go all armchair lawyer but i spent last week writing and editing boring legislative training about this for a company who had been found to have breached privacy law. in the australian privacy principles there's a specific point that collating (even publicly obtainable) information about a user without their consent isn't acceptable behaviour for any private-sector organisation.

but i dunno maybe it's all cool

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Samizdata posted:

He always gets my thumbs up.

Because he DESERVES them.

Not because of brigading.

shut up and spread the brigading!@

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

This is TOTAL FAKE HATER BULLSHIT trying to make CIG look BAD.

But if it's actually true, I'm perfectly okay with it.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

alf_pogs posted:

i don't want to go all armchair lawyer but i spent last week writing and editing boring legislative training about this for a company who had been found to have breached privacy law. in the australian privacy principles there's a specific point that collating (even publicly obtainable) information about a user without their consent isn't acceptable behaviour for any private-sector organisation.

but i dunno maybe it's all cool

If CIG was just a US company, it'd probably be fine (lol US consumer protection). The laws Ray "what do you mean it's a racist slur" Roocroft has to follow are detailed here. Sections two through four are relevant, with principle three being the one they could be in violation of:

quote:

Personal data shall be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose or purposes for which they are processed.

The terms aren't strictly defined, but the company needs to show that collecting information on a users browsing habits is relevant to providing customer support for a spacegame.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I hope you followed her outside, watched which shops she went into, and then added the license plate of her car to your copy of the till receipt.

She shops at Amazon so I told her to never come back to my store again even though she's the target demographic.

This is a metaphor about goons.

Brian Rubin
Sep 23, 2013

G0RF posted:

GAME WISDOM TALKS TO SPACE GAME JUNKIE

For those who aren't familiar with Brian Rubin, he is the blogger behind "Space Game Junkie". He was an early enthusiast for Star Citizen, and conducted a lengthy interview in March of 2013 with the always-gracious-with-fanboys Chris Roberts. (I'm not being snide here, btw-- whatever his faults, he's always been gracious with his fans.)

In July of last year, Rubin decided to stop featuring Star Citizen on his Space Game blog, and wrote a post explaining why he wasn't giving the game more coverage:

SPACEGAMEJUNKIE.COM: "Come, My Friends, We Need to Discuss Star Citizen"

Rubin recently was a guest on the Game Wisdom podcast, and a discussion of Star Citizen ensued.

Star Citizen discussion begins at 1:31:37.

I highly recommend listening to this dialogue.

Rubin could hardly be accused of being a Goon or Derek Smart devotee-- he is just a hardcore enthusiast for Space Games. He loved Wing Commander games, considers Starflight one of the greatest games of all time, he features indie games constantly on his blog and YouTube channel -- yet he has arrived at the same conclusions about Star Citizen that we've written about since last year, as has his interviewer.

They touch on several Star Citizen topics-- the huge download size, joystick issues, lack of depth, BadNewsBaron, space pants, missed release dates, his sale of his ships at a profit, Squadron 42, reasonable development cycles vs. open-ended ones, fish tanks, ludicrous stretch goals, the cyclical nature of Space Game enthusiasm, and his fears that Star Citizen's possible failure down the road might bring another long winter to the game genre he loves most.

Strongly recommended.

Especially for the senior management of CIG / Foundry and the team in LA tasked with Community Engagement and Marketing. Not that you ever take our advice here, but if you ever changed your mind about that, I'd recommend listening to this three times.

The first time should be as a group-- everyone in senior leadership and the Community Tesms hearing it together. Yes, it will be uncomfortable as hell-- that is the point. Don't pause the playback to discuss-- just take it all in together.

The second time, still as a group, start taking notes. Pause it as you must to capture all the choice material. Rubin is a Marketing Poll of 1, but you couldn't ask for a finer target. He is telling you so much that you've insulated yourself from over the last year. He is telling you how to win guys like him BACK. He's not mad at you, CIG, he's just disappointed-- both with the game and with the fact that he's disappointed after having been so excited early on. There are action items left and right here-- about improving delivery, about the user experience, about your development priorities, and more. For heaven's sake and your own, learn from them.

The third time, senior management should share this with the various teams under your authority. Again, this will be uncomfortable, but invite your subordinates to offer their own feedback on Rubin's complaints. Decriminalize internal discussions of the shortcomings of the game and invite teams to expand on them.

----

It would be all too easy in a dysfunctional organization to use this occasion as an opportunity to apportion blame-- to other departments, past employees, etc. DON'T LET THAT HAPPEN. Instead, let this be a unifying organizational challenge: "How do we win back the people we've lost or are soon to lose?"

It can't be 'more of the same', CIG. That is how you lost him and countless others like him. If you're going to course correct, it better be dramatic -- and as much as it will pain the living hell out of you, after you formulate that plan, you better plan on sharing it with fans. That means admitting mistakes, not revising history in realtime to serve the needs of the NOW. It can't be with promises you don't intend to keep-- because I can can name dozens off the top of my head without even trying, and the truth is, when it comes to broken promises, people can only forgive so many before they start to think of you very, very differently than you'd want them to.

If you're feeling especially open-minded, reach out to him directly. There's a lot you've forgotten about what makes Space Games fun-- and a SPACE GAME JUNKIE like this just might help you remember. It's not about polycounts or fidelity. If you forget to add the "fun", you don't really have a game, do you?

Game wisdom, indeed.

Thanks for the links and the kind words! :)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Brian Rubin posted:

You're a goon now, and forever have been.

Enjoy your ban and "Snowflake" status.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Brian Rubin posted:

Oh, and :eyepop:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Brian Rubin posted:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Brian Rubin posted:

:eyepop:

Great job btw :)

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.
Do you think Sandi and Chris's trip is ruined now? Thanks zen desk, you filthy leaver.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Omar strollin'
pffft. they probably got ahold of a european banknote worth as much more than 100USD as possible, just for the cocaine. probably two.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Jon Do posted:

pffft. they probably got ahold of a european banknote worth as much more than 100USD as possible, just for the cocaine. probably two.

Coke snorts better with euros.

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
This zendesk kerfuffle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17lkdqoLt44

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

ManofManyAliases posted:

Think what you want there big boy, I'm off for a bit anyway. Mid afternoon - nice day out - got stuff to do. Please don't leave 30 pages for me to trudge through when I return = p
Sorry I couldn't compliment you on your meltdown earlier, I was too busy banging my supermodel wife. I don't have time to sit here and congratulate everyone for every meltdown they have. I'm a very busy man, you know?

Oh wait hold on, I might have time for one more post.

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'll answer you quickly before I step out:

Do you think they put a ship up for sale, stop, wait for the return, then go back to work? And, where do they say you MUST pledge for this ship for development to continue? Are some here so business-inept that they truly feel that the crowd-sourced pledges comprise all of CIG's income?

The way I see their continuous concept sales are not as scam or as shady practices. They work on these ships because they are at a point in development where they're needed for progression (read: needed as assets to continue with SQ42, and with flight testing, etc.......).

Say that no one would give CIG one cent more from today, onward until development were complete. I think they have more than enough to make that more than a possibility.
Nice meltdown.

Justin Tyme posted:

This MOMA nonsense is stupid, he's doing quite a good job derailing the thread when one of CIG's biggest fuckups to date was just revealed.
This support thing isn't even in their top 10.

• Locked thread