Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
What's that clip where the guy from Silicon Valley auditions to be in the X-Men?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Count Chocula posted:

What's that clip where the guy from Silicon Valley auditions to be in the X-Men?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlVMEqjGrIQ

Pete Holmes has a bunch of these called Ex-Men from his show but it looks like the official ones were all taken down. There's a series of similar ones with Street Fighter characters with some other guys like Kumail too.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I bring a gift from another thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FswhQmILLU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
"It's a magma factory, they're making magma... for the troops. For the lava troops."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Empress Theonora posted:

"It's a magma factory, they're making magma... for the troops. For the lava troops."
"This fucker, this magnetic fucker..."

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Just got the email that my Ecto Cooler is waiting for me at home.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

I really wish soft drink companies could just make their limited editions without making it into some ~social media experience~/artificial scarcity bullshit. Surge eventually wound up in gas stations after the Amazon-only buy-by-the-case gimmick ended but Crystal Pepsi never moved beyond that and Mountain Dew is holding Pitch Black hostage for some contest.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I wonder if previous generations were as obsessed with nostalgia/reliving their childhood as this one.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Yaws posted:

I wonder if previous generations were as obsessed with nostalgia/reliving their childhood as this one.
Well my parents, who were born in the 1950s, still have the mindset of the 1950s, if that counts.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yaws posted:

Previous generations weren't raised from birth to think of their childhoods as composed of consumer products. But yes: all those digital substations that have popped up over the last few years are nostalgia aimed at boomers.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Yaws posted:

Longing for the imagined past is definitely not new.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Happy Days and Grease were 1950s nostalgia for people in the '70s. We got That 70s show in 1998. The 80s/90s nostalgia wave is natural, yet feels exacerbated due to the Internet.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know why but the "Magneto has no G-D reason to be in this movie" made me crack up.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Happy Days and Grease were 1950s nostalgia for people in the '70s. We got That 70s show in 1998. The 80s/90s nostalgia wave is natural, yet feels exacerbated due to the Internet.

You forgot American Graffiti, even though that's technically the early '60s, it's got that same vibe because of Wolfman Jack and the greasers.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

This whole time I thought they were exaggerating

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

The 80s/90s nostalgia wave is natural, yet feels exacerbated due to the Internet.
I would bet it is... stronger than it used to be in generations gone by, primarily because previous generations didn't have such ready access to media from the time that's being nostalged about.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

As of the latest on-screen, WHM is now the world's premium x-themed entertainment.

It sounds like they enjoyed Apocalypse enough, was fairly surprised they were so positive - i've heard quite a lot of negativity about it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

well why not posted:

It sounds like they enjoyed Apocalypse enough, was fairly surprised they were so positive - i've heard quite a lot of negativity about it.
The Internet's latest gimmick is racing to be first to poo poo on movies expected to be popular, or at the least to do the most spackle-y, wall-decorative splattershit on it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Yep, everyone tries to trash films for outrage-fuelled pageviews.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I watched Apocalypse yesterday and it was boring as gently caress aside from a few scenes which legitimately ruled.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Apocalypse is loving terrible, it has nothing to do with people wanting to poo poo on it, it's just outright bad and at time genuinely incompetent film-making.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

TetsuoTW posted:

The Internet's latest gimmick is racing to be first to poo poo on movies expected to be popular, or at the least to do the most spackle-y, wall-decorative splattershit on it.

This is 100% true, but it's interesting in this case, because, as much as I love the WHM guys, they have been some of the same people who normally do exactly that.

I mean, even ignoring their BvS reaction, it's a podcast tearing apart bad movies. That's...kind of what they do.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Well yeah, but "making GBS threads on" and "making fun of" are different things, as highlighted by one literally involving fun and the other figuratively involving poo poo.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

TetsuoTW posted:

I'm kind of predicting that Suicide Squad will be somewhere between entertaining to mediocre, and regardless of its actual quality, the internet will rush to declare it the worst film ever created before the first group even leaves the theater.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

They're already complaining that it "doesn't know whether it wants to be gritty drama or action comedy", a) as though those were exclusive, and b) because they're loving dumb.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I watched Apocalypse yesterday and it was boring as gently caress aside from a few scenes which legitimately ruled.

This is how every Bryan Singer X-Men movie goes so that checks out.

I distinctly recall being so absolutely bored coming out of the theater for the original X-Men 2 and not really getting why people loved it.

First Class is the best X-Men film, hands down.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

precision posted:

I distinctly recall being so absolutely bored coming out of the theater for the original X-Men 2 and not really getting why people loved it.

Woah, let's hope Steve doesn't read this thread, that's in his top 30!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I mean, we're talking like, 29, 28, right?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

precision posted:

The love of X2 escapes me too. I feel it has a great opening, a fantastic Wolverine fight and then an ungodly amount of time with people running around corridors.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

X2 does really suffer from having half the movie set in a gray bunker.

well why not posted:

As of the latest on-screen, WHM is now the world's premium x-themed entertainment.

I mean listening to them talk about it you can tell why they liked it, they're wearing their nerd hearts on their sleeves. Which isn't a bad thing: it's okay to like a movie!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tender Bender posted:

it's okay to like a movie!

Tell that to the Internet!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I'm kind of predicting that Suicide Squad will be somewhere between entertaining to mediocre, and regardless of its actual quality, the internet will rush to declare it the worst film ever created before the first group even leaves the theater.

On the other hand Deadpool, Ant Man, and Guardians of the Galaxy seemed to mostly get by unscathed once they came out and Suicide Squad seems much more in that wheelhouse rather than a movie like Batman v Suparman that was trying so hard to be taken seriously and set up a franchise.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Guy Mann posted:

On the other hand Deadpool, Ant Man, and Guardians of the Galaxy seemed to mostly get by unscathed once they came out and Suicide Squad seems much more in that wheelhouse rather than a movie like Batman v Suparman that was trying so hard to be taken seriously and set up a franchise.

Kind of. Ant-Man and GotG were pretty firmly PG-13 adventure movies with campy cheesy humor as a selling point, whereas Suicide Squad is going for "edgy" and we all know it's really fuckin' hard to do "edgy" well, especially in the superhero genre.

Personally I think SS is gonna be fine, but it's not like there isn't reason for concern. Jared Leto's stink is all over it and he's got what you'd charitably call an "inconsistent track record".

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I think misogynists getting angry about Ghostbusters is going to make that movie's impact more tolerable, because the other people who will dislike it will be consciously trying to not overstate things to sound like MRAs

precision posted:

Kind of. Ant-Man and GotG were pretty firmly PG-13 adventure movies with campy cheesy humor as a selling point, whereas Suicide Squad is going for "edgy" and we all know it's really fuckin' hard to do "edgy" well, especially in the superhero genre.

Personally I think SS is gonna be fine, but it's not like there isn't reason for concern. Jared Leto's stink is all over it and he's got what you'd charitably call an "inconsistent track record".

I mean it's only edgy compared to the standard MCU bowl of Lucky Charms

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Am I going nuts or has Andrew told that story about running into the costume guy with his head off before?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Illinois Smith posted:

Am I going nuts or has Andrew told that story about running into the costume guy with his head off before?

He did, but I don't remember which episode it was.

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

He did, but I don't remember which episode it was.

Space Jam, I think?

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Bryan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Who's the guy who pronounces mutant as mu-TAHNT and villain as vil-LANE? It bothers me.