Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Rhyno posted:

I love when people advertise their lovely, tarted up econoboxes as "turn key."

When something looks like that I wouldn't expect it to start :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

Nubile Hillock posted:

I'm the $10 eBay grille

The box said 10 horsepower :downsrim:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'd like to officially introduce you to the world's worst race car:

http://columbus.craigslist.org/cto/5583490205.html

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Fast,

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
I dunno, looks like he was committed at least. There is a cage and it looks like he had a suit and some stuff. It might be slow but I've seen worse. Wish there were more pictures.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
that's pretty aggressively Ohio

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

meatpimp posted:

Nothing like buying someone's broken dream

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

meatpimp posted:

This reminds me of the kid I was working with at the junkyard that kept asking what the best way to convert a Cavalier to RWD was and nobody to drill it into his head just how dumb an idea that was and it literally would be a better use of time and resources to just buy an 80s camaro.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

1500quidporsche posted:

This reminds me of the kid I was working with at the junkyard that kept asking what the best way to convert a Cavalier to RWD was and nobody to drill it into his head just how dumb an idea that was and it literally would be a better use of time and resources to just buy an 80s camaro.

nah, that's a car that was built to run a specific (slow) oval class.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

1500quidporsche posted:

And that reminds me of the guy who spent an obscene amount of money (I want to say $100k+ but that just seems unreasonable so who knows) converting his cobalt to rwd. IIRC he failed, then tried again,, and I don't remember if he succeeded, it was a red cobalt I think.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I actually think it was closer to $300k. I found the original thread:

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/victory_red_ss-goes-rwd-48074/

The car rolls now I think but the went into serious debt and divorced I think over this.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

mariooncrack posted:

http://www.cobaltss.net/forums/2-0l-lsj-performance-tech-47/victory_red_ss-goes-rwd-48074/

The car rolls now I think but the went into serious debt and divorced I think over this.
Goddamn, that's like watching a pile of money burn. The car is still not driving under own power, the best I could tell. And everything he's done could be easily achieved by buying a used Camaro.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Nitrox posted:

Goddamn, that's like watching a pile of money burn. The car is still not driving under own power, the best I could tell. And everything he's done could be easily achieved by buying a used Camaro.

That thread has been bouncing around for years, I've seen it before and took another look. My thoughts now are the same as I thought before... it seems like an elaborate troll. He's talking about ways to make power with an LSx like it's some kind of groundbreaking experiment that he's doing, when in reality, it's cheap and easy to make the 750hp that he's bragging about...

Weird stuff. And he's still got a Cobalt.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If I had the time, and I mean like time to the point that I was completely bored with nothing to do, It would be interesting to buy a car and troll it's specific forum with some sort of elaborate ruse. Just to see how far you could take it before being banned. But really, if that is an elaborate troll that guy deserves a giant medal for committing not only himself but his bank account.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Nitrox posted:

And everything he's done could be easily achieved by buying a used Camaro.
How much would it cost to have a tube-frame chassis built from the ground up and a Cobalt-shaped body dropped on it? I can't imagine it would be more than what he's spent on that abortion.

And goddamn this forum is miserable to read. Years of SA has spoiled me, I guess. My eyes and brain both hurt.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

The thing with super awesome monster swap cars or whatever is that they're pretty much useless for any sort of competition. You just end up with this weird car that just hoovers money up and goes slow, and then gets dumped on car forums for sale ads.

:shrug:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Octopus Magic posted:

The thing with super awesome monster swap cars or whatever is that they're pretty much useless for any sort of competition. You just end up with this weird car that just hoovers money up and goes slow, and then gets dumped on car forums for sale ads.

:shrug:

In my time attack league you just get thrown into a class with R35 GTRs and C7 Z06s and get stomped, unless you are also willing to spend $69 Billion dollars on Aero mods as well. It's also one of the reasons (aside from being a cheapass+slow car is why I compete in the stock weed wacker classes.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 6, 2016

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Idiot in 2007 posted:

As far as the time line, the car should still see the street in April, just closer to the end than the beginning.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

Human Grand Prix posted:

In my time attack league you just get thrown into a class with R35 GTRs and C7 Z06s and get stomped, unless you are also willing to spend $69 Billion dollars on Aero mods as well. It's also one of the reasons (aside from being a cheapass+slow car is why I compete in the stock weed wacker classes.

Yeah, I had the reputation of the "bringer of bad news" (I CAN ONLY IMAGINE MY BIG RED TITLE THERE) on DSM forums when dudes were like "YEAH MAN I WANNA BUILD A SCCA CAR OUT OF MY [20+ year old DSM that never had any real suspension development] AND IT'S GOING TO RUN WITH CORVETTES/VIPERS ETC AND AND AND" etc. Dudes with $20k+++ in their DSMs + actual aerokit development (using that Andrew Brilliant personally designed time attack aero) can barely keep up lap time wise with a stock C6 Z06 with some Hoosiers thrown on them. I suggested to the dreamer to go buy a Touring 2 Evolution that was already built and save his money if he really wanted to go Mitsubishi.

I mean I'm all about busting your head into the wall until your brains fall out, which is why I still have my car, but a blessed little man named Steeb Jobs is famous for saying: "Real artists ship". There's another thread where a guy who's building up the car with big aero widebody, big turbo, lots of tubular suspension items, cheap coilovers, and he's done like 1 open track day with someone else's car. Have fun figuring out all the issues of that car!!!

Car dudes :argh:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I wonder if modifying cars might make more sense in some countries where the availability of big engine sports cars is more limited.

In North America the cheapest and best way by far to go faster is to just sell your lovely car and buy a Z06.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Holy poo poo, a quote from that thread:

quote:

Sort of bringing this back out of no where, but I hope things are looking up for you Rod. I've had some **** luck over the past couple years myself, so I understand. I had to admit defeat and sell my $12K LSJ motor I had built for $8K[. That was to pay off my bills because I was broke as **** and to buy a used stock LSJ only to get the car back up and running for my crazy rear end ex-girlfriend to total the Cobalt into a Tattoo shop only two months later. Then not even a month after that I hydroplaned in the Integra and backed that into a telephone pole totaling it. After all was said and done, I paid off the rest of my bills with the insurance from the Cobalt and bought a new integra shell to swap everything into. I know that was not nearly as much as you have invested, but you have hung in there strong and that is quite respectable! Props to one of the OG's for sticking in there through thick and thin!

WhiteTrash.txt

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

The Orange Mage posted:

that's pretty aggressively Ohio

No doubt. I don't know what you call it, but people that race super lovely cars around dirt tracks is popular here. I have a high school classmate into that,and sometime last year he seemed to be the topic of a heated FB thing, where he was accused of having a class illegal head on his 90s cavalier.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

leica posted:

If I had the time, and I mean like time to the point that I was completely bored with nothing to do, It would be interesting to buy a car and troll it's specific forum with some sort of elaborate ruse. Just to see how far you could take it before being banned. But really, if that is an elaborate troll that guy deserves a giant medal for committing not only himself but his bank account.

I want to join a Mustang forum complaining about mystery knocks from my front end and asking where to look, with resolution ultimately being finding a severed arm or leg in the wheel well or something.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The Cobalt thread is kind of sad because the dude seems to really have some sort of sad obsession with this project.

quote:

With that list is a cost sheet which includes a $11,000. payment due now with another $20,000. needed to finish the project. For those who have followed this project know that my wife has allowed me to get this far and she has been my greatest supporter. I found difficult to tell her that I need $30,000 more after everything that was already poured into this project. From the look on her face and the sadness in her eyes, it is fair to say that the project is through. I tried guys but I can't justify putting my wife through more of this loss by asking her to pull more from RRSP's.

then

quote:

...but the wife and I worked out a plan to go forward with the project. The plan requires a lot of overtime for me as well as belt tightening. I am also going to have to end up doing work that requires some help from people with automotive metal/paint/wiring skills as the money runs out at that point.

then

quote:

As far as the project goes, I have been making some head way and I am learning to do things I have not done before. The truth be told, I have reached that point I had hoped to never get to, I am broke. I am actually losing ground to the debt that I am in so I work at learning new skills to finish what I can.

It just keeps getting worse :(

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Buy the dude an SA account. Only the gentle tickle of goon satire can save him now. I don't know if the thread would go in AI or E/N though.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Carth Dookie posted:

Buy the dude an SA account. Only the gentle tickle of goon satire can save him now. I don't know if the thread would go in AI or E/N though.

What if he turns out to be a closet racists like the mustang guy?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Why in God's name would you go into debt for a car project, much less a moonshot one like this that will have zero value to others. It's just baffling :psyduck:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Coredump posted:

Bonus?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

1500quidporsche posted:

Why in God's name would you go into debt for a car project, much less a moonshot one like this that will have zero value to others. It's just baffling :psyduck:

If I'm ever in the position to have the space to own and work on a project car you just wait. I'll blow your mind with the series of poor financial choices I'll make.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Coredump posted:

It probably wouldn't make it different from any other car forum.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Human Grand Prix posted:

It probably wouldn't make it different from any other car forum.

Except that racists on other car forums are generally pretty open about it

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/calgary/summers-coming-put-the-top-down/1169987112?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Ah spring. Birds come out, flowers bloom, ragtop cloud car and PT prices go up by a factor of 10.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The only place I'd drive a Sebring Convertible is off of a cliff.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

8ender posted:

The Cobalt thread is kind of sad because the dude seems to really have some sort of sad obsession with this project.

It just keeps getting worse :(

Yeah, some people don't know when to quit.
"I could have bought a ZR1 Corvette, but instead I have this (completely emissions illegal) V8 Cobalt. It's the only one like it!" :shepspends:

I'm not even sure why, unless you're already loaded $$-wise, you would start a project like this if you didn't intend to do all the fiddly bits, like chassis fab your self. Buy a chassis kit, learn to weld. Pay someone to build your engine and trans, maybe.

He may have a "show winner" or whatever when he gets done, but it will never be worth what he put into it, even accounting for sentimental/personal value. You can bet it will *always* be "that damned car" AKA "the reason we never got to go on vacation" to his wife.

edit: seriously - did he do any of the work himself, or farm everything out? Unless you're independently wealthy, I can't even fathom attempting to build something like that if you can't do any of the work yourself.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 8, 2016

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Over the decade, he's tried to pay several people to do the work. He had a builder I think and then got ripped off. He found another builder that then got really sick, swore up and down to finish the car, closed up shop, and then ripped him off. I think he then found a "racing engine" builder.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Where is this cobalt thread so I can make fun of other peoples horrible choices in life?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

slidebite posted:

Where is this cobalt thread so I can make fun of other peoples horrible choices in life?

mariooncrack posted:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Cobalt guy is a goddamned idiot.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Cobalt guy just wanted to build this car to reconnect with his brother whom he's had a falling out with a long time ago and they haven't spoken since, but brother has died and now Cobalt guy is really sad but doubling down on completing it.

Seriously, it's in there somewhere. I spent about 15 minutes just reading posts on random pages of it.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

We need to make a thread of Sisyphean "ultimate car builds"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Octopus Magic posted:

We need to make a thread of Sisyphean "ultimate car builds"