Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Nice one.

ManofManyAliases posted:

So, yes - I'm just taking their word for it.

Be sure to let us know how that works out in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

ManofManyAliases posted:

What - why do I care to defend it? Because I see a lot of misinformation thrown around by both camps- misinformation based on speculation and lack of insight by all of us. Not one of us is close enough to the project to say definitively how something is or should be, and yet, we all act like we know.

You are coming to an important realisation here, I said this to you in a reply weeks ago - without any bullshit and with no bad intent I'll repeat what I said with a bit more information;

I didn't believe 99% of what Derek Smart was saying in his Star Citizen tweets, blogs and missives when I started reading them last year. All I knew about Derek was that he was the BC3000AD guy and he'd been around since the 'golden age' of gaming, the old Spectrum days. I've since had the opportunity to tell him that I didn't believe what he was saying, turns out he is in fact the kind of guy you can say 'you know what Derek, I thought you were full of poo poo' without him getting upset or defensive.

A few months ago I set out to see if I could discover, on my own, whether there was any truth to what he was saying, and to see if it was possible (for my own curiosity) to gain an insight into the development of this game that isn't necessarily available in public on the internet. I'm very much a believer in an old Zen saying - "Don't take their word for it, GO SEE".

So here I am several months later and I have been able to satisfy myself - Star Citizen is hosed. Amidst the bluster and bravado Derek Smart is right. Who the gently caress would have thought.

Here's another one of those old sayings I'm a big fan of - "don't believe everything you hear, but believe everything you SAY". Star Citizen, as has been pitched and sold over the last few years isn't happening, ever.

It's hosed, the engine is hosed, it's all hosed, and people who have more of an insight into this thing that you and I will ever have, have been trying to warn people and get the word out while CIG continues to sell spaceships for a game that will never, ever exist.

If you want proof, start by becoming familar with what Derek has been saying, take the curriculum, read his blogs, read his forum, read the comments left there by other devs. After that, don't take my word for it, go see. You have money in this thing, you have more motivation to do so than I ever did. I'm just a bloke on the internet.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

ManofManyAliases posted:

Because amazingribs.com said so? How many Michelin stars do they have? I mean - there's nothing wrong with the Ducasse method; he's more concerned about the flavor of the meat itself and not so much about the carbonization of the marble. Me? I prefer more of a char. So I start by rendering the sides of the steak - as would Ducasse, but I flash it with high heat and finish it with high sear to char it.

I've done my own experiments with this. Searing meat first does lose more moisture. If your only goal is moisture retention, sear last. The problem with searing last is that the flavor of the searing doesn't have time to mellow and develop with the rest of the flavors, and doesn't have time to spread through the rest of the cut. This is less obvious on heavily flavored things like beef, but super obvious on something like chicken. I once roasted a chicken at very low temperature until it was about done, then finished it off at very high temperature to sear the outside. It tasted awful, like burned rubber, but only the outer layer. The inside was ok, but bland.

Setting the meat out to warm up to room temperature is also good, especially for thinner items that you're only going to be cooking for a few minutes. If you're trying to target medium-rare on a steak, while still having some char on the outside, it lets you more easily hit the right inner temperature before the outside gets over cooked.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

peter gabriel posted:

ironically when the time came for CIG to buy a jpeg they just couldn't do it

maybe the price wasnt high enough?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Daztek posted:

Also, CIG employee

'catagorically' is spelled 'categorically'

it's also in your big image and looks pretty dumb

please fix
:pgabz:
It should be "catagorfically"

I like the smiley at the end.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

We really need to increase the amount of posting happening in this thread if CIG is literally paying people to read it and modify their site as a direct result. Lets make them earn that money.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Trillhouse posted:

Goons get through to support from a dead gay comedy forum faster than paying customers get through to support from the customer support portal.

It's so shocking. I was actually skeptical of them reading the forums before this weekend. But they had the decency to prove it.

Hey CIG. Wouldn't it be easier just to do a good job? If you were good at customer support you wouldn't need tags for "malcontents". It's easier and less stressful!

I love that through all their machinations and attempts to control the narrative...it doesn't matter. None of this makes the game come out. You can do whatever and prove the haters wrong and guess what? At the end of the day the game isn't getting done and you have 115 million to answer for. This is all pointless.

but then she wouldnt be the greatest sales person and train all CS peoples from a girls age.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Chalks posted:

We really need to increase the amount of posting happening in this thread if CIG is literally paying people to read it and modify their site as a direct result. Lets make them earn that money.

All CIG staff suddenly can cook great steaks

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Alternatively you can make a cold thin steak (flat iron, etc) pretty fantastic with a hot non stick pan and flipping it every 30 seconds. It lets the moisture escape and allows for better browning and more even cooking. The moisture being caught between the pan and steak prevents it from developing really good flavor.

It's something the guy who wrote Modernist Cuisine mentioned offhandedly in an interview and it works great.

It browns so quickly that cold thick cuts need to be finished off in a warm oven because they'll char. I usually use a little wire rack over the pan for this.

Also I have no idea why anyone likes the flavor of char.

Protip:. if you want to thaw or warm up a piece of meat really quicky just toss it on an aluminum cookie sheet or pan, the conductivity means it thaws crazy fast.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

peter gabriel posted:

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

By non stick I mean one of those anodized aluminum pans from calphalon. Great conductivity and heats up fast as hell even on a glass top.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

SomethingJones posted:

You are coming to an important realisation here, I said this to you in a reply weeks ago - without any bullshit and with no bad intent I'll repeat what I said with a bit more information;

I didn't believe 99% of what Derek Smart was saying in his Star Citizen tweets, blogs and missives when I started reading them last year. All I knew about Derek was that he was the BC3000AD guy and he'd been around since the 'golden age' of gaming, the old Spectrum days. I've since had the opportunity to tell him that I didn't believe what he was saying, turns out he is in fact the kind of guy you can say 'you know what Derek, I thought you were full of poo poo' without him getting upset or defensive.

A few months ago I set out to see if I could discover, on my own, whether there was any truth to what he was saying, and to see if it was possible (for my own curiosity) to gain an insight into the development of this game that isn't necessarily available in public on the internet. I'm very much a believer in an old Zen saying - "Don't take their word for it, GO SEE".

So here I am several months later and I have been able to satisfy myself - Star Citizen is hosed. Amidst the bluster and bravado Derek Smart is right. Who the gently caress would have thought.

Here's another one of those old sayings I'm a big fan of - "don't believe everything you hear, but believe everything you SAY". Star Citizen, as has been pitched and sold over the last few years isn't happening, ever.

It's hosed, the engine is hosed, it's all hosed, and people who have more of an insight into this thing that you and I will ever have, have been trying to warn people and get the word out while CIG continues to sell spaceships for a game that will never, ever exist.

If you want proof, start by becoming familar with what Derek has been saying, take the curriculum, read his blogs, read his forum, read the comments left there by other devs. After that, don't take my word for it, go see. You have money in this thing, you have more motivation to do so than I ever did. I'm just a bloke on the internet.

The one thing you left off is that CIG has also made the goons(not all of course). Not only by the tight censorship but actually giving DS and Goons power. I never started out this way but by time I started getting time outs for questions and downvoted on reddit, I found here.. By Casting out those who do criticize they make them goons. And the goons are accepting. And now we have power - to make the development go in directions it doesnt need to. I am happy I am a boogieman but they are so terrible they gave us power.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

XK posted:

Setting the meat out to warm up to room temperature is also good, especially for thinner items that you're only going to be cooking for a few minutes. If you're trying to target medium-rare on a steak, while still having some char on the outside, it lets you more easily hit the right inner temperature before the outside gets over cooked.

I am just going to have to disagree because raw beef is perfectly fine eating if seared on the outside. So to me it's more important to get that right.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

they probably thought it would be just as legitimate as buying a JPEG from them, thus why they never did

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Trillhouse posted:

Goons get through to support from a dead gay comedy forum faster than paying customers get through to support from the customer support portal.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

Checked the thread earlier today and 800 posts happened while I was at work. Did something happen?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Quavers posted:

e2: in its rightful place:

e: 4000 catte snipe

Quoting from page 4000. :negative:

What's new, guys?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

peter gabriel posted:

Go home everybody, we're done here.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
They haven't figured out that if they gave the goons the refunds they requested that they'd go and turn their attention to some other thing.

So if they were competent they would refund any requests they tagged goon already and move on. But they aren't smart. Derek Smart.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

MeLKoR posted:

Quoting from page 4000. :negative:

What's new, guys?

CIG have plagiarised your methods and keep secret notes on every backer, unsurprisingly they weren't so secret and now many people know they're snowflakes/troublemakers/goons/high maintenance etc.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Alternatively you can make a cold thin steak (flat iron, etc) pretty fantastic with a hot non stick pan and flipping it every 30 seconds. It lets the moisture escape and allows for better browning and more even cooking. The moisture being caught between the pan and steak prevents it from developing really good flavor.

It's something the guy who wrote Modernist Cuisine mentioned offhandedly in an interview and it works great.

Case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46eRIxVxkG8

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer
now we can just send them messages from that contact forum...
From snowflakes@goonds.com

subject. Eval snowflake goons

"buhahahahaa. Best $30 in entertainment I've ever spent was funding your game in 2012.

Heres to hoping for a couple more years of lols before your company goes paaaaaaaaarp. "

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Go home everybody, we're done here.

That will probably never be topped, imo

pgabz is the real MVP

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

intardnation posted:

The one thing you left off is that CIG has also made the goons(not all of course). Not only by the tight censorship but actually giving DS and Goons power. I never started out this way but by time I started getting time outs for questions and downvoted on reddit, I found here.. By Casting out those who do criticize they make them goons. And the goons are accepting. And now we have power - to make the development go in directions it doesnt need to. I am happy I am a boogieman but they are so terrible they gave us power.

Yes!

DS, Goons and CIG are in a three way symbiosis.

Nobody planned that, nobody sat down with a pencil and pad and drew a loving triangle or an equation. That's just how it is, that's the reality, and CIG can't or won't realise that and deal with it. I've never seen anything like it, it's a comedy bandwagon careering down a mountain with a simpleton behind the wheel.

At this point, goons are just here for the inevitable and hilarious wreck.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The best thing about the "Goons hate campaign" narrative is that this thread is, while very active and dedicated to the cause, an irrelevance to most of the user base of SA. Compared to the poo poo that used to happen when the GBS of a decade ago mobilised, the nemesis of CIG is a cat lady shouting at a shopping trolley in a Tesco carpark.

Edit: And still we're running rings around a $100 million company. That's how poo poo at everything CIG are.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 6, 2016

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Freudian slippers posted:

Checked the thread earlier today and 800 posts happened while I was at work. Did something happen?

To catch up:

- It was discovered that CIG was tagging users on their support site in a not-nice way and publishing that data as JSON in their support HTML page.
- CIG immediately took notice from reading this thread and pulled down/broke the site, failing to touch the mobile version
- CIG then put up a 1990s-ish "under construction" page with stolen artwork
- When the stolen art (seems to be a trend here) was pointed out on this forum, CIG removed it, additionally they removed the mobile version access as well, again from reading the forum thread. It was also pointed out that the tagging data was still available on the "under construction" page if you looked at the source code, so they screenshotted the page and replaced the page with the screenshot

This is all kind of out of order, but it's the basic gist. CIG has been basically playing a cat and mouse game with themselves and it's been hilarious. Also all of this basically 100% confirmed that they are monitoring this thread, practically in realtime. Hi!

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

PST posted:

CIG have plagiarised your methods and keep secret notes on every backer, unsurprisingly they weren't so secret and now many people know they're snowflakes/troublemakers/goons/high maintenance etc.

Hahaha, you're making GBS threads me. Page or it didn't happen. :laffo:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Hello CIG thread watching employee

Nobody minds that you're here. Really! You're an integral part of our community and without your efforts we would never have been able to contribute as productively to Star Citizen's development.

We only ask that you introduce yourself - think of it as a small thank you to us for keeping your bills paid. Post your catte, your favorite beer, tell us of your hopes and dreams and just be our friend in general

Her name is Alexis. She's really nice and she's been with CIG since the beginning.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

peter gabriel posted:

I only eat food from plastic packets that require no preparation, I literally pour cereal directly into my mouth

I sometimes eat cereal from a drinking glass. After I'm done with the cereal, I have a glass of strangely flavored milk to drink. It's oddly satisfying.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

revmoo posted:

To catch up:

- It was discovered that CIG was tagging users on their support site in a not-nice way and publishing that data as JSON in their support HTML page.
- CIG immediately took notice from reading this thread and pulled down/broke the site, failing to touch the mobile version
- CIG then put up a 1990s-ish "under construction" page with stolen artwork
- When the stolen art (seems to be a trend here) was pointed out on this forum, CIG removed it, additionally they removed the mobile version access as well, again from reading the forum thread. It was also pointed out that the tagging data was still available on the "under construction" page if you looked at the source code, so they screenshotted the page and replaced the page with the screenshot

This is all kind of out of order, but it's the basic gist. CIG has been basically playing a cat and mouse game with themselves and it's been hilarious. Also all of this basically 100% confirmed that they are monitoring this thread, practically in realtime. Hi!

Thanks for the update! What a bunch of gently caress-ups.

Fake edit: Hi, Sandy!

Deedrix
Jun 6, 2016

"Give me money and I'll give you shit in return."
CIG ToS

MeLKoR posted:

Summing it up they went and watched his videos and changed pgabz's name on his zendesk account to major tom. Which they would have never known that was him unless they did some snooping.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

MeLKoR posted:

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Her name is Alexis. She's really nice and she's been with CIG since the beginning.

Ironically whoever is reading the thread fast/hard/fidelitousnessly is doing a pretty good job.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Deedrix posted:

Summing it up they went and watched his videos and changed pgabz's name on his zendesk account to major tom. Which they would have never known that was him unless they did some snooping.

It's all over, goons control the narrative. :derp:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Wisdom.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

SomethingJones posted:

Yes!

DS, Goons and CIG are in a three way symbiosis.

Nobody planned that, nobody sat down with a pencil and pad and drew a loving triangle or an equation. That's just how it is, that's the reality, and CIG can't or won't realise that and deal with it. I've never seen anything like it, it's a comedy bandwagon careering down a mountain with a simpleton behind the wheel.

At this point, goons are just here for the inevitable and hilarious wreck.

In the shitposting system, the backers are represented by two separate yet equally important groups, the Goons who investigate Croberts and the Derek Smart who publicises them, these are their stories.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

MeLKoR posted:

It's better than all that though. Some of the stuff they're doing, like linking Pgabz CIG, SA, and Youtube account names in their records, and tagging customers as Goons is, on the face of it, illegal under UK and Aussie Data Protection laws. And coming off that it looks like Foundry, who are doing the CIG CS from the UK may not have even registered themselves, as required by law, with the Information Commissioner's Office.

It's unlikely that anything will come of it, I don't even know if any of the people involved have reported it. But in terms of starkly highlighting what a dodgy company CIG is, it's pretty good.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 6, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Propagandist posted:

Ironically whoever is reading the thread fast/hard/fidelitousnessly is doing a pretty good job.

She works hard and is really good at her job.

Deedrix
Jun 6, 2016

"Give me money and I'll give you shit in return."
CIG ToS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

She works hard and is really good at her job.

She hates snowflakes though.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

Daztek posted:

Also, CIG employee

'catagorically' is spelled 'categorically'

it's also in your big image and looks pretty dumb

please fix

Isn't this an admission of what Derek was trying to prove by demanding PU access?

They aren't supposed to have some special hidden version and have promised anyone who paid money full access to the game. So their response when someone points this out is to tell them to shut up about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

https://forums.robertsspaceindustri...communicated/p4
http://archive.is/xXTI5

• Locked thread