Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
I guess they traded Cassidy's super strength for fighting ability.

Not a bad episode, but it looks like the show might go into a "Sin of the Week" format, which could drag on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Obviously the chronology is off from the book & they're going an odd (and frankly non-interesting) way with Tulip so far BUT, seems okay 2 episodes in. Loved what this episodes opening teased.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
cassidy is great and the meat guy had his glasses on so it should be okay

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Show's pulpy and comic book-ey. I like it!

The fight choreography's very entertaining. It's got a sharp, deliberate style.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

lmao at all the comic spergs complaining
show owns

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Supreme Allah posted:

Obviously the chronology is off from the book & they're going an odd (and frankly non-interesting) way with Tulip so far BUT, seems okay 2 episodes in. Loved what this episodes opening teased.

I found the opening to be really weird so I just want to know: is there a good explanation for it? Don't spoil it, but if there's a payoff coming for that random western scene I'd like to know. I got that the natives were hanging from the giant tree Cassidy is burying the box under, so it's the same town, it just felt extremely disconnected from the main narrative.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Zaphod42 posted:

Another terrible Tenzarin opinion.

It just doesn't seem as good as Feed the Beast.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

hollylolly posted:

I found the opening to be really weird so I just want to know: is there a good explanation for it? Don't spoil it, but if there's a payoff coming for that random western scene I'd like to know. I got that the natives were hanging from the giant tree Cassidy is burying the box under, so it's the same town, it just felt extremely disconnected from the main narrative.

It was basically a teaser for a very important character, so there is a good explanation & also a payoff.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Supreme Allah posted:

It was basically a teaser for a very important character, so there is a good explanation & also a payoff.

Ok cool. Thanks!

I loved the shot of the chainsaw beginning to pull that dismembered arm away. :allears: Cassidy is the best, though his accent is unintelligible at times.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Really enjoyed the meat dude and his creepy "one-armed" assistant, but my favorite was the two weirdo "Government" dudes setting up that coffee can over Jesse's midsection and singing a song while cranking on a bizarre old musical contraption. Just weird poo poo that makes complete sense to them but zero to us without context.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
As a non comic reader, I really like the way this show just goes out of it's way to be so weird and without context. It doesn't always work, but it's better than starting as a garbage procedural and then trying to build into it's own show from there. (Lucifer) (Lucifer is actually pretty good though, but started slow and bad) Half this poo poo makes no sense, but usually manages to be entertaining anyways.

Oh look, we're rich assholes on a plane snorting coke, but actually everyone has crossbows and spears now!

The Preacher is unconscious for 3 whole days and not a single person in the town questions this.

Let's sing a song, if that doesn't work, chainsaw obviously.

Tom Cruise explodes, eats up most of a news cycle.

Meanwhile in the 1880s.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This was a solid episode, I don't give a poo poo if it's different. I loving love everything about this show.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
That chainsaw moment might have been inspired by the end of Forklift Driver Klaus, which is awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oB6DN5dYWo

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

hollylolly posted:

That whole bit seemed like it was designed to try and allay any comic fans' fears that the show would be ditching a certain character.

TLM3101
Sep 8, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

That whole bit seemed like it was designed to try and allay any comic fans' fears that the show would be ditching a certain character.

And seems to go out of its way to say that "Don't worry, we're not changing a single thing on this part" into the bargain. I enjoyed the hell out of this episode, and any residual fears that might've lingered from the pilot has been laid to rest.

Much like the Hat-dudes under the tree. :D

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

hollylolly posted:

Cassidy is the best, though his accent is unintelligible at times.

Seriously why didn't they just let him do his normal accent, its not that far off Irish either; also his normal accent keeps creeping in occasionally so it seems not even the production crew can tell the difference.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Forceholy posted:

I guess they traded Cassidy's super strength for fighting ability.

Seems to me that the two angels had super strength, and Cassidy was at least toe-to-toe with them during the fight. It seemed more like a brawl between two evenly-matched parties rather than a fight that showed actual technique and ability from either. Though Cass had a leg up with his whole, you know, not able to be killed thing.

That said, it seems like that whole thing is more of a Highlander kind of deal, where he can't necessarily be killed, but is incapacitated for a while at least from some more grievous injuries that would normally kill anyone else. If you ever watched Highlander movies or the show, mostly any time they are "killed" they wake up later and it's never really specified (that I can remember) how long they are out before they wake up again. Seems like that with Cassidy unless he gets some blood.

poo poo, I wonder if Cassidy even NEEDS blood on the reg.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
The chainsaw fight sequence was amazing and this continues to be some of the best choreographed fighting in TV other than Daredevil.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Re. Cassidy's durability

It was said to be a mistake by the writer in the long run but I always liked how short of the traditional sun bath or a nuke, nothing - not even the unstoppable patron saint of murder who can literally kill anything else in all Creation - can kill Cassidy, he's a loving cockroach in human form. Decapitation, a bunch of grenades, shotgun blasts, *those* six-shooters, none of them are able to finish the job. It kinda fits him perfectly as a character, that big, awful poo poo you can't flush for love or money.

I guess they risk making him look more competent than he really is with the flashy fight scenes, though.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

life is killing me posted:

Seems to me that the two angels

Their not angels, they are normal people with spirits inside them that give them powers and try to control them. The show is about Scientology!

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
I like this show so far, it's just so unashamed of violence and weirdness it's actually a bit refreshing. I agree it's kind of disjointed at times but that also makes me interested to see what sort of crazy poo poo is going to come up in the next scene whenever there's a cut.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

... okay, this episode did feel a bit disjointed. But it's building towards something.

Amazon video dropped the subtitles for Eugene which is not a smart decision because I think I missed some vital connection to the following scene. That seemed to come out of nowhere.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Eugene was saying that maybe he couldn't change, despite wanting forgiveness and doing the baptism and everything God was still being silent for him. Maybe people just are what they are (iirc, it's along these lines anyway). He says this after Jesse insists to Tulip he's a different man, but she scoffs and says he's bad, bad man.

Jesse's face while Eugene is talking seems to show him realizing he's not a good man despite all his trying, and he was going to do something violent to the bus driver to make sure he didn't hurt the little girl.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It wasn't just that he couldn't change, it was his theory that the person he is now is actually who God wants him to be.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Cheers. It works for the way Jesse sees the bus driver as well, doesn't it? "This guy can't change what he is so I'm gonna be what I am and make extremely sure."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

My Lovely Horse posted:

... okay, this episode did feel a bit disjointed. But it's building towards something.

Amazon video dropped the subtitles for Eugene which is not a smart decision because I think I missed some vital connection to the following scene. That seemed to come out of nowhere.

That's funny, I never had trouble figuring out what arseface was saying (I like how cassidy hinted at his real name, and Jesse dropped his origin story real quick) but it is nice to have the subtitles just in case; they always have them on TV.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Cheers. It works for the way Jesse sees the bus driver as well, doesn't it? "This guy can't change what he is so I'm gonna be what I am and make extremely sure."

Yeah, exactly.

I loved the smash-cut ending. Its going to be interesting to see what happens next episode, how Jesse reacts either way. Can somebody who is in a coma hear The Word? I guess that was the setup of her mother saying that she plays her favorite TV-shows, since the doctors say she's still listening.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, when she said that you knew he was going to try it once he figured out his power.

She's probably going to be completely hosed up.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If the guy from the pilot is any indication (my girlfriend said "now she's in a waking coma, good job"). They better not be inconsistent with how literally targets take the Word after setting that up, that would be a terrible waste.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

My Lovely Horse posted:

If the guy from the pilot is any indication (my girlfriend said "now she's in a waking coma, good job"). They better not be inconsistent with how literally targets take the Word after setting that up, that would be a terrible waste.

Open your eyes might not be the best instructions after how open your heart turned out.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
Had a great time with it.

There are moments - in the best possible way - where it really hits the wild & offbeat tone of the comics. Not even necessarily the big outlandish stuff like the church scene. The sight of Jesse, smoking furiously while trying to hacksaw his way out of an ankle-chain. Cassidy wheedling his way to getting what he wants while darting around outside the sunlight (or playing the loveable scamp card for Jesse's benefit). His unexpectedly splendid quiff this ep also really helps to make him *look* the part.

I'm also really pleasantly surprised by the thoughtfulness, even sensitivity lurking around the edges. The episode was lobbing around some pretty big ideas (God may allow us free will, but doesn't he also give us the limitations that prevent us from changing? If we're incapable of change, doesn't that suggest it's just as he planned it? If he made us like this, where does his will end and our free will really begin?), coherently and confidently.

I particularly liked how they handled Linus in just a couple of scenes, as someone who isn't genuinely changed by either the baptism or the threat of a surprisingly ineffective scalding . because he's too just good at lying to himself. When he's frightened, he babbles that it isn't his fault, then quickly admits that he *knows* it's his fault; again, he's incapable of change because he's clearly been over these arguments himself a thousand times before. He's ended up rehearsing redemption to the point of cynicism, because he's keen to be a good man, or because he's afraid of punishment. He's tried to change for the better so often that it's become a meaningless ritual to keep him going.

I wasn't so keen on

- Jesse being knocked out again, which felt too much like a device to keep the main storyline from moving forward too quickly. It's just a wee bit cheap is all, even if it did lead to a highly entertaining fight scene.
- Donnie being back. Is this guy really sticking around as an evil henchman? Didn't we finish with him and his family last episode?
- Tulip. I loved Ruth Negga in her card-playing scene. I also like that her disapproval of Cassidy has been transferred to a genuine stick-in-the-mud character, like devils into a herd of swine. But we had a scene of her showing up, discomfiting Jesse, and trying to recruit him in last episode. We now have *three* more scenes of her discomfiting Jesse and trying to recruit him in episode 2. She's in danger of becoming an irritant, rather than a thrilling call to adventure, and that's a pity.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Okay, drat, yeah... that church fight scene was hilarious and brutal both. I couldn't stop grinning the entire time.

All around good episode. This show so far has legs and I can't wait to see where it goes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

My Lovely Horse posted:

I really hope at some point they include one of my favorite one-off panel jokes from the series. Jesse uses the Word and tells a couple of guys,"RUN" and they turn around and take off in the other direction. As they're running, one of them turns to the other and gulps,"f....forever?"

grobbo posted:

I'm also really pleasantly surprised by the thoughtfulness, even sensitivity lurking around the edges.

I actually thought it was really sweet how he reacts to Arseface. He lets out a shout of shock and horror when he first sees him, but then he very genuinely apologizes because he knows that it was a lovely thing to do. Even though he cracks jokes with Jesse about it soon after, I didn't get the sense that his apology was an empty platitude, but that he really did feel bad for how he reacted.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Sentinel Red posted:

Re. Cassidy's durability

It was said to be a mistake by the writer in the long run but I always liked how short of the traditional sun bath or a nuke, nothing - not even the unstoppable patron saint of murder who can literally kill anything else in all Creation - can kill Cassidy, he's a loving cockroach in human form. Decapitation, a bunch of grenades, shotgun blasts, *those* six-shooters, none of them are able to finish the job. It kinda fits him perfectly as a character, that big, awful poo poo you can't flush for love or money.

I guess they risk making him look more competent than he really is with the flashy fight scenes, though.

I mean, that's the point, though--in the comics, he's so incompetent in everything he eventually burns any bridges back to Jesse and Tulip never takes to him at all, even getting pissed at Jesse for being so gung-ho a friend to Cassidy that it seems he cares more about Cassidy than he does Tulip. Basically, his only real thing he's got going for him, his only REAL strength, is the fact that nothing can kill him. He's a total selfish dick otherwise, a drug addict and a psychopath who has some shining moments of being a huge help to Jesse which are far outweighed by all the moments where he fucks something up, up to and including the moment where he holds Tulip hostage for a reason I can't remember and Jesse has no idea where she is.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Yeah, they did a really good job of showing how Cassidy is a complete rear end in a top hat ,but Jesse doesn't see it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

I really hope at some point they include one of my favorite one-off panel jokes from the series. Jesse uses the Word and tells a couple of guys,"RUN" and they turn around and take off in the other direction. As they're running, one of them turns to the other and gulps,"f....forever?"

My favorite use of the Word is during the big Jody fight BURN and he just catches on fire.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

life is killing me posted:

I mean, that's the point, though--in the comics, he's so incompetent in everything he eventually burns any bridges back to Jesse and Tulip never takes to him at all, even getting pissed at Jesse for being so gung-ho a friend to Cassidy that it seems he cares more about Cassidy than he does Tulip. Basically, his only real thing he's got going for him, his only REAL strength, is the fact that nothing can kill him. He's a total selfish dick otherwise, a drug addict and a psychopath who has some shining moments of being a huge help to Jesse which are far outweighed by all the moments where he fucks something up, up to and including the moment where he holds Tulip hostage for a reason I can't remember and Jesse has no idea where she is.

there's the bit toward the end of the comic where Jesse beats the piss out of Cassidy and makes some quip along the lines of "your problem is you neverlearned how to fight because you never had to." they may have kind of hosed up that minor pay off.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

Yeah, they did a really good job of showing how Cassidy is a complete rear end in a top hat ,but Jesse doesn't see it.

His letter in the last issue all but spells out that the story was actually about Jesse the preacherman saving Cassidy's soul, and not all that Genesis bullshit. Which is great, because it's simultaneously partly true and precisely the kind of narcissistic thing Cass would think.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

muscles like this? posted:

My favorite use of the Word is during the big Jody fight BURN and he just catches on fire.

That's an impressive moment for Jody because everyone else is freaking out and he just jumps into a trough of water. My favorite off the top of my head is 'Miss' to the Grails sadist torturing Cassidy.

The more I remember about this series the more I don't know how they'll pull off some of the stuff that happens especially with the Grail and their very special charge.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

grobbo posted:

- Tulip. I loved Ruth Negga in her card-playing scene. I also like that her disapproval of Cassidy has been transferred to a genuine stick-in-the-mud character, like devils into a herd of swine. But we had a scene of her showing up, discomfiting Jesse, and trying to recruit him in last episode. We now have *three* more scenes of her discomfiting Jesse and trying to recruit him in episode 2. She's in danger of becoming an irritant, rather than a thrilling call to adventure, and that's a pity.

This is becoming my biggest concern quickly. I didn't have much of a problem with her last episode the way some did, but I agree 100% she's starting to nag him and its annoying. And I feel like the two of them don't exactly have a ton of chemistry right now. That can change, but it'll have to or else a huge part of the story won't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Supreme Allah posted:

That's an impressive moment for Jody because everyone else is freaking out and he just jumps into a trough of water. My favorite off the top of my head is 'Miss' to the Grails sadist torturing Cassidy.

The more I remember about this series the more I don't know how they'll pull off some of the stuff that happens especially with the Grail and their very special charge.

The best Word usage in the comics is You're going to go gently caress yourself, sheesh.

I reread the series over the last few weeks and laughed at " You all gently caress off" cut to guy running ".... Forever?"

• Locked thread