Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Gitro posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo? It was absolutely miserable to fight, doggos got steadily picked off, spawns got picked off eventually, everything just slowly died while I managed to wipe a handful of their units until they ran out of axes.
:lol: if you saw that and didn't autoresolve despite the casualties instead of taking hours off your life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Vargs posted:

The way I do it is by having my front lines alternate between melee infantry->ranged->melee infantry->ranged. When the enemy gets close, I pull the ranged back a bit, leaving gaps in my line. The enemy generally still gets caught on the melee, and there's a big open space for your ranged to keep firing with direct line of sight. As a bonus, this also means that your line can stretch twice as far.

This has some disadvantages. Your melee units are going to be slightly flanked until you can shoot all of the orcs or whatever on the sides of them. The open spaces also present an easy opportunity for enemy heroes or monsters to walk on through and eat your crossbowmen. I like to have a few melee in reserve to catch anything that tries to slip through.

Overall it works okay, though I've been preferring the "throw heroes way in front of your lines to tank and then shoot into the blob that wraps around them without worry" strategy.

That definitely makes well leveled heroes a challenge to face and super valuable, especially if you're facing an army with better melee than you. I imagine against players it may not work quite so well but it has worked well for me in the past.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I haven't been doing checkerboards but instead have had intermittent success getting my archers in the back-left of my line to fire at the enemy on the front-right. It depends on the terrain angle a lot though.

Another strategy is to put your front line at the bottom of a valley, so the combat is being fought on flat ground, but the enemy are clearly visible to your archers as they pile up behind the front line.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shumagorath posted:

:lol: if you saw that and didn't autoresolve despite the casualties instead of taking hours off your life.

It always amuses me how much the AI loves the one unit type (missile cav) that is more or less universally reviled by players. Very few players like to use missile cav, and the ones that do only use a few units, not 8+ in a single stack.

I like to think some CA dev has just been trolling us for like five titles now.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Mazz posted:

Not really no, but I do suggest you get 3 Thanes the +3 to recruits ability (first skill in the second tier of the bottom tree), as you can leave all 3 in your combat province and recruit level 9 units straight away. If you queue up all the build orders you can move the thanes and they'll still come out as level 9 in however many turns it takes.

Is +9 the max?

Also, multiple armories in the same province stack as far as the local recruitment limit right?

Reik fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 6, 2016

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is it true that the game does not run well on NVIDIA laptops?

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
The reason the checkerboard works is that the enemy infantry is generally unable/unwilling to try to push between your blocks of infantry assuming the gaps are not massive. If you make an infantry unit into a square and then leave a gap that size between the next infantry, nothing will get through. As the enemy infantry which is usually in a wide line hits your infantry block, they start to wrap around and "surround" it. Except by surround it, I mean get shot in the side/back by the thunderers/handgunners 30 feet away. Its brutal and the only really effective way to use gunpowder units.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Another Dwarf formation I used a bit.
M = Melee / R = Ranged / H = Hero
code:
MMMMMM            MMMMMM

R   H           H   R
   R                 R
       MMMMMMMMM

The upper melee lines protect your crossbows/guns. A decent amount of the enemy line charges right down into your lowered center, putting them into line of sight of your ranged units who have a hero in front of them to help stop any leaks. You may want to hide your ranged at the very bottom initially and then move them into this position after everything is locked down.

You could also probably cut out the right side and replace it with an extended lowered melee line, and then stick all of your ranged on the left. Having enough space for all those crossbows would be an issue (easier with Irondrakes/Trollhammers), but it would probably make the enemy settle in more consistently shootable positions while giving your ranged units one less angle to be flanked from.

Vargs fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 6, 2016

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mazz posted:

Not really no, but I do suggest you get 3 Thanes the +3 to recruits ability (first skill in the second tier of the bottom tree), as you can leave all 3 in your combat province and recruit level 9 units straight away. If you queue up all the build orders you can move the thanes and they'll still come out as level 9 in however many turns it takes.

Or you could have those thanes do something useful.

Or save the upkeep and buy an extra half attack instead of them.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Chomp8645 posted:

It always amuses me how much the AI loves the one unit type (missile cav) that is more or less universally reviled by players. Very few players like to use missile cav, and the ones that do only use a few units, not 8+ in a single stack.

Its actually because the AI guy doesn't play videogames, he's just an AI guy who does what he's asked. If he doesn't play games in general much less total war, he'll accept whatever the game designers tell him as if it were true. "Have the AI skirmish with its skirmish troops, and flank the player's skirmish troops." He'll say ok and put it in the game. He won't go "uhh, skirmish cav is expensive garbage, why would the AI do that when the player doesn't" unless he plays the game.

A lot of this stuff makes sense if you've worked at a software dev before, esp one with a large dev team. There's a PM that allocates some tasks for the week / next milestone. Hey you, work on vampiric and chaos corruption, get it done by Friday. You, go work on dwarf building trees. They have some amount of time to work on that task.

Then it gets even shittier. You as the design guy might need to modify the UI a little. So you just go in there and do that, right? No, you can't. That's not your job. To get chaos corruption or vampiric corruption done you need an art guy and some programmer time that might already be allocated. If you have a cool idea that would require changing the UI, scrap it and do something shittier than can get done by Friday. Maybe the art guy's first pass of the vampiric corruption actually sucks, but you don't care, you just put the texture in because now you're almost done with your task.

The point is, I get the sense CA develops this way and that it is very toxic to their games. The way the UI has been nailed down since Rome 2, the way they spend lots of time on art assets and graphics but then implement the actual gameplay in very shallow ways, it all smacks of the same thing. Design by allocation and committee with people treating as a job rather than caring about the finished product.

So what I'm saying is when you reach a team of 200, you are just doing a job. The AI guy is doing his job, implementing poo poo nobody would ever actually use because he doesn't play the game. He's just getting paid to do what he was asked to do.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Draynar posted:

Can someone explain this checkerboard formation to us Total War newbies?

I'll do it in pictures!

Here's the formation head on.

And here it is from the other side.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Chomp8645 posted:

The A.I. can micro them better than any human ever will and missile cavalry formed the largest-ever contiguous land empire, soo-ooooo....

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Shumagorath posted:

The A.I. can micro them better than any human ever will and missile cavalry formed the largest-ever contiguous land empire, soo-ooooo....

In a videogame about unit compositions if there's a venn diagram where one side is "armies players use to win matches" and the other is "armies the AI brings" there's probably something wrong in how the AI is building its armies. Especially given that it's an issue release after release.

Like, Rome 2 and slingers.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
So how on earth did those two stacks of Bjornlings spawn in the southernmost tip of the badlands to harass my undefended settlements? Did they sail all the way there? Why?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Deified Data posted:

So how on earth did those two stacks of Bjornlings spawn in the southernmost tip of the badlands to harass my undefended settlements? Did they sail all the way there? Why?

The AI is scripted to drop two stacks of Bjornlings on the west coast of the Ork Savage lands around turn 80. Once you deal with them you won't get any more invasions from there.

It's meant to push the whole "chaos is invading everywhere" feel even if they get bogged down trying to get down south, which is what happens most times. I find it a touch cheesy the way it's implemented.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Rakthar posted:

The AI is scripted to drop two stacks of Bjornlings on the west coast of the Ork Savage lands around turn 80. Once you deal with them you won't get any more invasions from there.

It's meant to push the whole "chaos is invading everywhere" feel even if they get bogged down trying to get down south, which is what happens most times. I find it a touch cheesy the way it's implemented.

That's a relief. I saved when I noticed them so I could give it some thought, but I have a couple armies across the river wiping up the Border Princes so I'll just send them over. That could have been very bad if I hadn't gotten lucky.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

I've got a single Chaos Lord up north without any army, building up his camp by his lonesome. He got sucked into an enormous battle between 2 allied Norscan armies and 2 invading Empire armies. I only had that single guy to control for the whole fight. It was basically just Dynasty Warriors, or Sauron Simulator 2016.

Also, the AI is stunningly bad at chasing down routing units after a battle. They'd go after something and then 3 seconds later, decide to go after a different unit on the other side of the map. Repeat forever. Just kinda went back and forth in one spot for several minutes and didn't catch anybody at all.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

quote:

Its actually because the AI guy doesn't play videogames, he's just an AI guy who does what he's asked. If he doesn't play games in general much less total war, he'll accept whatever the game designers tell him as if it were true. "Have the AI skirmish with its skirmish troops, and flank the player's skirmish troops." He'll say ok and put it in the game. He won't go "uhh, skirmish cav is expensive garbage, why would the AI do that when the player doesn't" unless he plays the game.

Skirmish Cav is extremely powerful in most TW games, though. It's only something casual players don't bring for the same reason casual players don't make all-cav armies, it's very micro-intensive.

You can argue that the Norscan stack composition is incredibly annoying, and it is, but your argument breaks down when you suggesting the AI is dumb for pumping out their strongest units (Skirmish Cav, Chariots, Trolls) instead of massing their worst unit option (lovely T1 infantry) so that they're easier to defeat.

Look at the proper Chaos stacks and once they've teched up is mostly Chosen and Hellcannons with some Chaos Knights, which is also reasonable given their options. Slightly too heavy on Hellcannons, but it's weaknesses as a unit aren't reflected in it's stat card, so it's a common mistake for AI to make.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

madmac posted:

Skirmish Cav is extremely powerful in most TW games, though. It's only something casual players don't bring for the same reason casual players don't make all-cav armies, it's very micro-intensive.

You can argue that the Norscan stack composition is incredibly annoying, and it is, but your argument breaks down when you suggesting the AI is dumb for pumping out their strongest units (Skirmish Cav, Chariots, Trolls) instead of massing their worst unit option (lovely T1 infantry) so that they're easier to defeat.

Look at the proper Chaos stacks and once they've teched up is mostly Chosen and Hellcannons with some Chaos Knights, which is also reasonable given their options. Slightly too heavy on Hellcannons, but it's weaknesses as a unit aren't reflected in it's stat card, so it's a common mistake for AI to make.

So let's just put it this way. Whether the guy is given dumb unit lists that he puts in verbatim or whether the algorithm selects tier 1 stuff and ranged units due to quirks, the end result is that AI compositions are often quite different from player compositions. In Rome 2 at release the AI loved spearmen and slingers. In Shogun 2 it was stacks of archers. In Attila, the reason the AI loved ranged skirmish cav was understandable, since that was a game about that. The AI still has a way of making questionable troop compositions that are quite different from what players do, and that seems worth fixing. Making army lists that imitate player compositions doesn't seem out of reach, to me.

If you're talking about the Chaos LL stacks, I have a feeling those are pre-generated or follow some kind of pre defined roster. I've noticed some hellcannon armies, giant armies, chosen armies, but I haven't done enough testing to figure out whether the AI recruits them on the fly or whether those are the pre generated stacks for Archaeon, Sun Eater, The Prince guy, The Bjornlings, etc.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

madmac posted:

I don't know. Some players bring missile cav but it's usually four units or less unless they are specifically doing a kiting gimick full-cav army or something. Nobody brings 8+ units of missile cav as anything but a joke. That's the main difference between the AI and a player. It's not that the AI uses them at all, it's that they tend to field them in hilarious numbers.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Does anyone have any quick tips on how I can stop the orcs from running over all of my poo poo as a dwarf in the campaign map?

Maybe it was because I over expanded into the Blood River Valley too quickly (around turn 20ish) but it seems like there are always 4 Orc armies running around sacking my cities which I can never catch.

Is there anything I can do to stem the tide of orcs, or did I just shoot myself in the foot for expanding to fast?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

I don't know. Some players bring missile cav but it's usually four units or less unless they are specifically doing a kiting gimick full-cav army or something. Nobody brings 8+ units of missile cav as anything but a joke. That's the main difference between the AI and a player. It's not that the AI uses them at all, it's that they tend to field them in hilarious numbers.

Eh. I used to mass full stacks of missile cav as far back as Med 2 and it was remarkably effective, and as recently as Atilla the Hun's were incredibly powerful in fielding stacks of mostly archer cav with a bit of heavy cav for support.

Using missile cav in huge numbers is actually the best way to use them, if you're are going that route.

With the Norscans though it's more that Marauder Cav is one of their few options that isn't straight T1 garbage units, other other good stuff being chariots and trolls, which they also use after they've teched up.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

McGavin posted:

It looks like Raise Dead is bugged for some people.

I know that I have never seen anything more than 0 casualties in a province, no matter how big the battle was.

I just quit my newest campaign because I didn't feel like playing with a broken faction, so I think I'm actually going to use it as an excuse to step away from the game and wait for them to patch it and add more content. It's a really fun game, but I'm confident it's going to get a lot better, and I don't want to get completely burned out before then.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Works fine on mine. I'm not running it on ultra though.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011
I've decided to do a basic guide on Vampire Counts like Madmac's Greenskin guide. Thus:

LORDS OF UNDEATH

Mannfred von Carstein

Leader of the Vampire Counts of Sylvania, and the better of the two starting legendary lords. Technically a wizard, Manny has access to the Lore of Vampires and Lore of Death, but can also be built into a near-unkillable melee fighter without sacrificing his magical powers. He starts with the spells Invocation of Nehek, a heal-over-time spell that regenerates your units (including Manny himself), and Spirit Leech, a damage-over-time spell that deals heavy damage to a single target.

Important skills to note are The Hunger, which gives him significant life regeneration while in melee, Power Drain, which gives him an extra 15 points of power reserve in combat (though this requires heavy investment into Lore of Vampires, which you may not want to make), Children of the Night, which with two points invested gives you an extra vampire hero slot (though all lords have access to this skill, you might want to spend these points elsewhere on Manny), and Fate of Bjuna, a damage-over-time spell that deals heavy damage to multiple-model units.

Mount options are an armored nightmare, a flying nightmare,and a zombie dragon. Unfortuantely, each mount has the previous as a prerequisite, so you can't have Manny walk until level 25 then get a zombie dragon for a single point.

Heinrich Kemmler

The most powerful human necromancer alive, Kemmler sold his soul to the Chaos gods for a second chance after his enemies defeated and ruined him. He is a wizard lord with access to the Lore of Vampires, and starts with Invocation of Nehek. Kemmler is strictly inferior in combat to Mannfred, and indeed, to even a generic vampire lord.

His most notable skill is Master of the Dead, which passively provides regeneration to your units near him. It's not very strong, though. Not even close to Invocation, for example.

His punishment for sucking is having to walk everywhere he goes. No mount options, not even a dead horse.

Vampire Lord

A generic vampire lord with access to the Lore of Vampires and the same combat and campaign support skill trees that Manny gets. Starts with Invocation of Nehek.

Skills to note are The Hunger, Power Drain,and Children of the Night. You want that Children of the Night on every vampire lord; vampire heroes are awesome, as you'll see. Since you don't have access to Lore of Death, consider advancing Lore of Vampires far enough to get Power Drain and Curse of Years, an awesome area debuff that utterly shitifies the stats of any enemy in range.

Mount options are the same as Manny's.

Master Necromancer

A generic necromancer hero with access to Lore of Vampires. Starts with Invocation of Nehek. Can get Master of the Dead, like Kemmler. Also like Kemmler, not worth taking over a vampire lord.

Mount options are a nightmare and a flying nightmare. No dragons for these losers.

DEAD HEROES

Necromancer

A wizard hero and basically identical in combat power to the necromancer lord. Has access to Lore of Vampires. Starts with Invocation of Nehek. Can ride a nightmare.

On the overmap (which is the only place they should ever be), you can deploy them to reduce building costs in your provinces, and spec them to be better at same with Prime Mover, or in enemy provinces to gently caress with their winds of power. Another good skill is Advisor, which increases the income from whatever region he's in by up to 15%.

Vampire

Your best hero by far, and one you should be able to get quite a few of, thanks you your lords all getting Children of the Night. A durable melee fighter thanks to The Hunger, extra life regen on command skill Immortal Will, and her solid combat skill tree, and a powerful caster thanks to her access to Lore of Death. That's right, the vampire hero does not get Lore of Vampires like everybody the gently caress else, but rather the much better Lore of Death. This makes sense because

In combat, she can use her Spirit Leech to snipe lords and Fate of Bjuna to kill hordes before wading into melee to crack heads with the best of them. On the overmap she can deploy to speed growth in your provinces or retard it in enemy provinces, but why? She can also get some healing and corruption-spreading skills in the blue tree.

She can ride a nightmare and later, a flying nightmare.

Banshee

Your assassin hero. On the overmap, she's an assassin, with the aptly named Assassin skill. In combat, she's a surprisingly tanky assassin thanks to her ethereal trait preventing 75% of incoming damage. She's fast as hell, but can't ride a mount.

You can deploy her in your provinces to reduce enemy agent success chance, or in enemy provinces to gently caress with their income, but her best use is wandering around murdering enemy agents for levels. She can get the Inspector skill to increase income by up to 15% in her current region.

Wight King

Your fighter hero. In combat, he's a durable fighter, though not as durable as the vampire thanks to lack of health regen. On the overmap, he can deploy in your provinces to increase public order, or in enemy provinces to reduce it and spark rebellions. Or he can sit in your army and passively improve your units' veterancy with Drill Master, as well as making new units cheaper to recruit with Inspirational and recruiting them at higher levels with Exemplar.

He can ride a dead horse, and add a significant amount of armor to it with an extra point.

KNEE DEEP IN THE DEAD

Zombies
Role: Cheap Tar Pit
Requires: Barracks Level 1

Zombies are dirt-cheap expendable troops used to bog your enemies down while your better units kill them. You'll lose these in huge numbers and not give a fraction of a gently caress.
Raise Dead will always present you with at least three units of zombies to recruit, which underscores their expendability.

Skeleton Warriors
Role: Tar Pit
Requires: Barracks Level 1

Skellies are your upgraded tarpit infantry. They have shields and thus can tank ranged fire better than zombies, and are faster as well. Still not as strong as other factions' basic infantry, skeletons are still primarily used to tie up enemy forces.
Raise Dead will always present you with at least one unit of skeleton warriors to recruit.

Skeleton Spearmen
Role: Anti-Large Tar Pit
Requires: Barracks Level 2

Skeletons with spears. These are more effective at dealing with enemy cavalry. Still just a tarpit.
Raise Dead will always present you with at least one unit of skeleton spearmen to recruit.

Crypt Ghouls
Role: Basic Damage Dealer, Debuffer
Requires: Cairn Level 1

Crypt ghouls are your most basic damage dealers, but their attacks do little against armored ememies, and you will soon want to replace them with much more effective killers. Their poison damage reduces the stats of enemies they hit.

Grave Guard
Role: Tough Tar Pit
Requires: Barracks Level 2, Armory Level 1

The tarriest of pits, Grave Guard are much better equipped to survive extended engagements while holding your enemies in place for your monsters to kill.

Grave Guard(Greatswords)
Role: Infantry Killer
Requires: Barracks Level 3, Armory Level 1

Grave Guard which have traded their standard issue sword and board for a great big fuckoff zweihander. Use these to flank and murder enemy infantry being held down by your tarpits.

Cairn Wraiths
Role: Elite Killer, Hero Killer
Requires: Cairn Level 3, Armory Level 1

Spooky ghosts designed specifically to murder your enemies' best units, Cairn Wraiths come with several specialized tools to help them in their mission. First, their scythes are armor-piercing and deal magical damage, bypassing all damage reduction other than ward saves. Second, they are ethereal, which gives them a 75% chance to ignore any non-magic damage attack. Finally, they have the terror special rule, which causes enemy units around them to temporarily rout at a higher leadership breakpoint than normal (in addition to the normal -10 leadership from fear).

I'LL BITE YER KNEECAPS OFF!

Black Knights
Role: Infantry Killer Cavalry

Black Knights are your basic anti-infantry cavalry. They should be used to flank and kill enemy infantry units trapped by your tarpits.

Black Knights(Lances & Barding)
Role: Elite Killer, Shock Cavalry, Linebreaker

Black Knights which trade their swords for armor-piercing heavy lances. They can be used both to break infantry lines and morale with the weight of their charges, and to countercharge and kill enemy cavalry or monsters. Once their initial charge is completed, order them free of the melee and swing around for another charge.

Hexwraiths
Role: Elite Killer, Hero Killer, Shock Cavalry
Requires: Cairn Level 3, Armory Level 2

Wraiths on spooky horses; in addition to their normal wraithly abilities, they function as shock cavalry, and also are one of only two units you get with vanguard deployment.

Black Coach
Role: Infantry Killer
Requires: Vampire Crypt Level 2, Armory Level 2

A heavy chariot used to kill infantry, which gets stronger as enemy troops die nearby. Unfortunately it requires heavy micro to use properly, as it will get pretty hosed up if you charge it in and leave it there. Has three activated abilities with shared cooldowns which each increase specific combat stats.

CREEPY CRITTERS

Fell Bats
Role: Fast Flying Harrier
Requires: Forest Level 1

A cloud of giant bats. In the early game, bats will be your answer to light cavalry attempting to flank your forces, missile cav, missile units on walls that you're assaulting, and missile units in general. They are also extremely fast and can chase down routing enemies to keep them from coming back.

Dire Wolves
Role: Fast Light Cavalry
Requires: Forest Level 1

A pack of giant undead wolves that function as your light cavalry. Very effective at killing poo poo if you charge them into the rear of engaged units. Also good at running down fleeing enemies. Can be vanguard deployed.

Crypt Horrors
Role: Linebreaker, Tank
Requires: Cairn Level 2

Regenerating zombie trolls. Once your enemy's troops are bogged down in your tarpits, charge these through your own line into key enemy units. Also an excellent unit for duelling enemy monsters, as their poison shitifies the enemy's stats.

Vargheists
Role: Flying Heavy Damage Dealer
Requires: Forest Level 2

Berserk degenerate vampires, vargheists will be your primary damage-dealer for most of the game. Proper usage is to wait until the enemy are tarpitted by your crap units and then land these on top of them from behind. Their size and mass will disrupt the enemy formation, and their high-damage attacks will murder them in job lots. Have bats and wolves standing by to serve as cleanup crew once the enemy start to rout, and find another target for your vargheists. Also exceptionally good at taking walls.

Varghulf
Role: Heavy Linebreaker, Elite Killer
Requires: Forest Level 2, Vampire Crypt Level 1

Another degenerate vampire, the varghulf is a super-heavy living siege engine. In battle, use it like you would a unit of crypt horrors, to disrupt enemy formations or kill their monsters. In sieges, they are living battering rams capable of smashing a gate down before your troops can even reach the walls. Hopefully a future patch will tag them as siege engines so you can attack walled settlements without having to build towers or rams.

Terrorgheist
Role: Heavy Flying Linebreaker, Elite Killer
Requires: Forest Level 3, Vampire Crypt Level 1

Giant zombie bat the size of a dragon. Functionally a flying varghulf, and used in much the same way. Has the added bonus of being anti-large and dealing extra damage to targets of horse size or larger.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

I wonder if this issue could be affecting the AI as well as players. It would somewhat explain why the Vampire Counts have been so tepid. In two campaigns for me they didn't step an inch outside of Sylannia unless they were just poaching ruins left behind by Chaos. They seemed utterly ineffectual most of the time.

Yeah my gay rear end has noticed that too.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
As I will likely never play this game but do enjoy the concept and the Warhammer world, are there any good/enjoyable players that make YouTube videos?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Indolent Bastard posted:

As I will likely never play this game but do enjoy the concept and the Warhammer world, are there any good/enjoyable players that make YouTube videos?

Contradictory request.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Chomp8645 posted:

Contradictory request.

OK, how about just entertaining? (Or at the bare minimum, not incredibly annoying)

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

Grouchio posted:

I have an NVIDIA Geforce 770m that's a few years old and it runs fine for me on ultra unit sizes and medium settings with all the bells and whistles enabled.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Indolent Bastard posted:

OK, how about just entertaining? (Or at the bare minimum, not incredibly annoying)

Pretty much everyone I've seen playing this game on youtube is boring on a level that I wasn't even aware existed, aside from these two dudes doing a multiplayer campaign against each other.

They're pretty awful at it and the 60 second turn timer makes the game a disastrous mess, but at least they're relatively funny and likable.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

LegendOfTotalWar is ok if you want a guy with an accent who swears and plays on legendary. He is not bad at the game and does not annoy me while I watch his videos.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Am I crazy or is there not a list of what the difficulty settings do anywhere

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

RentACop posted:

Am I crazy or is there not a list of what the difficulty settings do anywhere

There never is. The AI cheats on a sliding scale from Hard to Legendary, and Legendary puts additional restrictions on you like not being able to pause in battle and not having a minimap.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
Total war has never mad for entertaining videos. :negative:

Screenshot lets plays are usually okay.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Indolent Bastard posted:

As other have mentioned the battles vs AI can be borning as gently caress to watch people play. The strategic map part is even worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

This guy puts out pretty good multiplayer matches. Does a good job of balancing showing the close up cool poo poo and zooming out for the whole battle overview. Multiplayer matches won't really have much of the lore/story though (if that is your interest).

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 7, 2016

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I feel like the only guy in the world who likes strategy game LPs. I think they're relaxing.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Dude on Reddit did a test with some Dwarf ranged units:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kKoARlZLnb1Q0LwEi1T36k42CsyXQkSTBx6DvIg5ctY/edit#gid=952012517

The 4-cannon grand battery I use, admittedly, is pretty much good only for lord sniping. The exceptional results of the Organ Gun here gives me hope (and the mediocre-as-gently caress Thunderers stats despair) that I can put more explodey death in my compositions, while keeping 2 cannons around for provoking the enemy into an advance and stunlocking Giants.

EDIT: lol master engineers stack their bonuses. this is what you get when you stack 18 engies and a ranged unit

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 7, 2016

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

toasterwarrior posted:

Dude on Reddit did a test with some Dwarf ranged units:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kKoARlZLnb1Q0LwEi1T36k42CsyXQkSTBx6DvIg5ctY/edit#gid=952012517

The 4-cannon grand battery I use, admittedly, is pretty much good only for lord sniping. The exceptional results of the Organ Gun here gives me hope (and the mediocre-as-gently caress Thunderers stats despair) that I can put more explodey death in my compositions, while keeping 2 cannons around for provoking the enemy into an advance and stunlocking Giants.

EDIT: lol master engineers stack their bonuses. this is what you get when you stack 18 engies and a ranged unit

Cannons and Organ guns was what I settled on pretty quickly, so it's good to hear I chose correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

So you fire each cannon before you load it, or does it discharge all its ammunition as a glorious shotgun blast?? :psydwarf:

• Locked thread