Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Zoness posted:

if you think this you are probably not good at playing lucio and could probably use some more time learning how to play lucio

as for why you should wall ride a lot - wall riding mixed with normal movement and weaving crossfade auras increases your survivability drastically

I had like a 75% winrate Lucio before I got sick of playing him. You can't wall ride while pushing the cart which is what you end up doing most of the time.

Lucio is easy mode and really loving dull because of how passive he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Haha oh my friend there are plenty of terrible widows, you are just too good at the game to see any. You should lose a few matches on purpose while watching some Netflix so that you can play with we overwatch plebs

Of course there are terrible Widows, they all end up on your own team.

I for one can't wait for her to be nerfed into the loving ground.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
On attack I'll play Lucio gladly if no one else has picked him. Hit speed buff for taking the objective, then hit healing aura to protect the team. Blast sound waves the whole time. Knock assholes into pits. Fun stuff.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I wish Lucio had more songs because on KotH I pretty much just have the healing one on at all times except for when we're running to the point. Maybe you get more mileage out of the movement one on the non-KotH maps, I go for Mercy instead on those so idk

I guess I don't know what aura effects you could actually give him without making him completely broken though (Or maybe have each song only last a certain amount of time so you're forced to rotate between them/choose the right time to bring out healing etc) That would make him feel less passive/require more thought I think

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
The sniper game kind of ruins the game. If one team has a really good one, you'd better hope your team has a solid one too. I guess Genji or Tracer can go hunting for her, but her escape is pretty insane.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

idk everytime I seem to be in a game where we're getting stomped 99% chance there's a Lucio on the team skating around in circles firing his lovely gun at Reinhardt from across the map and I have to switch to mercy because no one else will since we already have a "healer"

He's definitely a good support but a lot of the times you need a tank, mercy, or damage hero instead

If they're doing a ton of consistent damage his heal just isn't enough and his gun sucks at anything but super close range

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 7, 2016

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric

Buckwheat Sings posted:

The sniper game kind of ruins the game. If one team has a really good one, you'd better hope your team has a solid one too. I guess Genji or Tracer can go hunting for her, but her escape is pretty insane.

Today I killed a Widow with Torblerone's long range shots. Couldn't believe it. I know this has nothing to do with the point of your post. I just wanted to brag.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I'm expecting them to adjust her if only because of how the entire competitive scene has slowly morphed (on non-KotH maps) into "dedicate 100% of resources to killing the enemy Widowmaker nonstop." They knocked Zen down from his throne in closed beta because of similar balance issues in competitive.

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Zoness posted:

if you think this you are probably not good at playing lucio and could probably use some more time learning how to play lucio

as for why you should wall ride a lot - wall riding mixed with normal movement and weaving crossfade auras increases your survivability drastically

Lucio's gameplay isn't fun. It's boring. His gun has terrible gunfeel. There's barely any decision making to be had with his auras. Wallriding isn't an especially engaging movement ability. Sound barrier is dead simple to use. He just runs back and forth spamming his lovely projectiles at a choke or shield and hits his ult and boost when its time to fight. However he really helps your team win the game, so if you find winning fun then pick him.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

When I'm playing Mercy, I have to play a minigame of constantly flying between targets while simultaneously minding my positioning (so that I don't overextend and fly into someone's sight range), as well as carefully deciding between hanging back for an incoming Res or staying in the fight to provide damage amp/healing.

When I'm playing Lucio, I sit behind my team and shoot fart bubbles down a corridor while I watch my ult charge incredibly slowly.

He's fun on KotH, but only because you get to knock people into holes and are able to utilize his wallriding more effectively. On every other map, he feels like garbage to play.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

Grammaton posted:

Today I killed a Widow with Torblerone's long range shots. Couldn't believe it. I know this has nothing to do with the point of your post. I just wanted to brag.

There was a game on route 66 defend this past weekend where the goon team went all Torbelone (and a mercy) and we ended up winning.

All X team compositions are hilarious and fun IMO

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I wish Mercy's fly was on a shorter cooldown. I always get caught on CD and die

Guw
Jan 10, 2013

There's a console patch for PS4 that removes Torbjorn

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Man, I still think you guys are stupid, but whatever. I get to play Lúcio then and be "useless" when the whole team rushes forward like idiots and I still get 6k healing. :shrug:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

The cd on Mercy is short as-is and would be OP with her zipping everywhere if it was any shorter

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Vermain posted:

I'm expecting them to adjust her if only because of how the entire competitive scene has slowly morphed (on non-KotH maps) into "dedicate 100% of resources to killing the enemy Widowmaker nonstop." They knocked Zen down from his throne in closed beta because of similar balance issues in competitive.

I "expect" them to in that she definitely needs adjusted in her "ability to wipe out half/all of a team singlehandedly if left alone" ability, not her "ability to quickly kill one target" ability, but they've remained completely quiet on the issue unlike Mccree, so I don't know if they actually think it's an issue or not. And it's not limited to comp play, and is arguably worse in "high level but not organized"-type play since she's such a strong solo choice but most of her strong counters require coordination or characters that people don't like picking in solo queue.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Besides widowmaker what else counters widowmaker

I play pharah a lot and I love sneaking up on widowmakers high up on a map, jumping up off to the side of their version, and blowing her the gently caress up

Obviously it goes both ways and she also destroys a pharah that has poor situational awareness with her jump

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Besides widowmaker what else counters widowmaker

Double Winston and (extremely good) Genjis. That's about it.

Dias posted:

Man, I still think you guys are stupid, but whatever. I get to play Lúcio then and be "useless" when the whole team rushes forward like idiots and I still get 6k healing. :shrug:

I am not saying that Lucio is useless. I am saying that he isn't fun to play in a very basic sense of gameplay interactions.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Yeah I don't think anyone's complaining lucio is useless, in fact he's so loving useful that it's just short of being mandatory that your team have one.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The problem is actually that he is too useful.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

and I love sneaking up on widowmakers

I think that's one of the key points why widowmaker is op. It's one of the fastest charging ults in the game and pretty much destroys Genji and even overpowered McCree. Their whole gimmick right now is to be sneaky sneaky on people rushing to the point by themselves.

Actually giving a good sniper a legit maphack probably wasn't the best idea.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I want all the people saying Lucio is boring to tell me how high they can get using his wall jump

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
No, I'm saying you guys are stupid for thinking he's not fun, not that he's not useless. I was just talking about the Rein guy over there, because apparently people don't notice when you're healing with Lúcio. :P

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dias posted:

No, I'm saying you guys are stupid for thinking he's not fun, not that he's not useless. I was just talking about the Rein guy over there, because apparently people don't notice when you're healing with Lúcio. :P

What part of Lucio's gameplay do you find fun? What decisions are you making moment-to-moment while playing him?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Wall jumping too high would put you out of aura range.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

gandlethorpe posted:

Wall jumping too high would put you out of aura range.

I don't think there's a wall high enough to qualify for this though, his aura range is surprisingly massive.

Khaba
Oct 29, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

I want all the people saying Lucio is boring to tell me how high they can get using his wall jump

I mean, I find wall jumping around boring, so...?

I normally play support roles in every game, and I really just don't like Lucio. Mercy can be ok, but you're very team dependent, and Symmetra/Zenyatta aren't really main supports.

I'd rather just fill the tank role and run around hooking people with Roadhog then missing all my shotgun shots.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Vermain posted:

What part of Lucio's gameplay do you find fun? What decisions are you making moment-to-moment while playing him?

Which wall do I jump on to get behind the enemy, can I DOOT the enemy from that point and wall jump back to my team safely

E: is the enemy positioned at a point where if I switch to speed boost, I can wall jump behind them and DOOT them into a cliff

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

TheKingofSprings posted:

Which wall do I jump on to get behind the enemy, can I DOOT the enemy from that point and wall jump back to my team safely

What are the benefits to getting behind an enemy as Lucio?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

I don't think there's a wall high enough to qualify for this though, his aura range is surprisingly massive.

If you hang out far enough down the Ilios well you can get out of aura range

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
People that do not like playing Lucio because he is boring: who is your favorite and why? I must know.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Vermain posted:

Picking off stragglers (in fact, just aiming his gun instead of mashing M1), switching auras on the fly if I see a Rein that's behind and my team is topped off, knowing when to Amp Up instead of just spamming it, dancing on the point or on the payload while 4 guys try to hit me.

I think Mercy is WAY more boring and way more frustrating to play if you don't play with a decent stack.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Vermain posted:

If they go after you they're turning their back on the enemy team and if they don't you can DOOT them out of cover to make it easier for your team to do things before wall jumping back to heal

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Vermain posted:

you make reinhardts drop their shield and die

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
He's one of the less technical heroes. His wall-riding capabilities are incredible, but he doesn't have the damage or the longevity to warrant using it solo. You can jump up to the balcony in King's Row, Amp It Up speed boost across the rooftops and land on Point A in about three seconds of the doors opening, but anyone worth their salt will instantly crush you making the effort pointless.

His gun is hard to use, but it also does little damage overall so it's not hugely intrinsically rewarding to aim it well compared to Zenyatta.

For anyone that wants their APM challenged, Lucio doesn't really scratch that itch.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I wish Mercy's fly was on a shorter cooldown. I always get caught on CD and die

I always get caught with my idiot team never in line of sight, personally

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

The team's healer risking themselves to act as a lone wolf flanker is such a mind bogglingly bad decision in my brain maybe that's why I hate playing lucio

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Munsun posted:

People that do not like playing Lucio because he is boring: who is your favorite and why? I must know.

Favorite what? Support?

I like playing S76 the most because he has a combination of useful abilities that all have separate tests of mastery: the positioning of Biotic Field, the tracking of Pulse Rifle, your flick aiming ability with Helix Rocket, and your sense of timing when using his ultimate. All of these means that there are multiple areas in which I can improve while playing him, and his versatility means that he's rarely a poor addition. His weapons have a good sense of "gunfeel:" it feels good to impact someone with both Pulse Rifle and Helix Rocket, especially larger targets like Roadhog. Finally, Sprint is a surprisingly useful tool that also makes getting back to the frontlines after dying less of a hassle.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

The team's healer risking themselves to act as a lone wolf flanker is such a mind bogglingly bad decision in my brain maybe that's why I hate playing lucio

Team's lone healer? Pretty bad idea. But if you also have a Mercy on your team, Lucio can do a great job with distracting enemies if they aren't coordinated enough to instantly kill him, and with his auras he can get away from things a lot of other Heroes wouldn't be able to.

Keyphrase: If they aren't coordinated enough to instantly kill him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Cowcaster posted:

I mean, you're not doing it all the time, sometimes you just wanna gently caress around or really piss off that poor tank that no one seems to follow around on payload.

Also sometimes you see teams going Reaper/Winston/Lucio/McCree, aiming for your head 24/7 and it warms your heart.