Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

mlmp08 posted:

Some people get deeply attached to their home of choice.

See also: Americans always rebuilding in forest fire zones, directly on eroding beaches that get slammed by hurricanes all the time, and in flood planes.

the poo poo going on over dune barriers in New Jersey is comical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Psion posted:

Last couple of times I've flown there's been a new line in the safety speech - right after tampering with lavatory smoke detectors is "federal law also prohibits consuming your own alcohol." Is this a recent change? Last time this topic came up I remember reading there were rules against it (maybe in a CFR?) but it was unclear whether or not they were actually law and/or enforceable. Did something come out to change that?

also the odds that this will affect anyone's inflight drinking are so close to zero as to be indistinguishable, so whatever

14CFR121.575. I was surprised at how old this section appears to be. I have been bringing mini bottles aboard planes and mixing my own gin and tonics for years and years now. Oops.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015
Simply use the British solution of drinking as much as humanly possible right up to boarding time. Many of our airport bars start serving at 5am.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

inkjet_lakes posted:

Simply use the British solution of drinking as much as humanly possible right up to boarding time. Many of our airport bars start serving at 5am.

There is now a 24hr Nandos in Gatwick South. I ate peri peri pancakes at 5am because my life is a hollow shell. :britain:

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

inkjet_lakes posted:

They've got that covered too.

quote:

121.575 Alcoholic beverages.
(c) No certificate holder may allow any person to board any of its aircraft if that person appears to be intoxicated.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Craptacular posted:

They've got that covered too.

Learn how to hold your liquor. :cheerdoge:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
If you're incapable of doing something like flying without being drunk you're an alcoholic.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

14CFR121.575. I was surprised at how old this section appears to be. I have been bringing mini bottles aboard planes and mixing my own gin and tonics for years and years now. Oops.

You usually can't bring your own alcohol to consume into a bar or restaurant either.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

hobbesmaster posted:

You usually can't bring your own alcohol to consume into a bar or restaurant either.

You usually can't bring your own food or drink in to a bar or restaurant in any way, but you can in an airplane, so they're not really comparable.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

If you're incapable of doing something like flying without being drunk you're an alcoholic.

If you're capable of doing something like flying flying without being drunk, but you get drunk anyway, you're a cool dude.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

People who are afraid of flying often drink to 'calm their nerves'.

In the real world, it means that someone with severe anxiety is now drunk and likely to start acting like a lunatic.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I drink before a long flight so I can get to sleep easier.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I drink because not drinking is for fuckin' squares.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Sometimes I like to have a good time at the airport bar meeting other travelers and finding out what they're all about.

Sometimes I have poo poo to do that I need to be lucid for (like driving at my destination), and I don't drink. It just depends!

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Drinking on flights is expensive garbage if your goal is to sleep.

Benadryl - take 2 while taxiing and sleep blissfully for the next 4-6 hours.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

lol if you don't have free drinks on flights.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
lol if your body can still tolerate alcohol after college and the several years after college. :smith:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I can't remember the last time I was on a plane where I didn't either have poo poo I needed to do as soon as the plane landed or was at the controls myself. I can't so much as have a beer on a flight these days :/

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Yeah, I stopped drinking after a spectacular hangover on January 1st this year. I'll be flying to Vegas and Seattle soon and won't be able to have a mild buzz to take the edge off of how lovely flying is.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If the drinks are on the airline, hell yes, I try to make sure they lose money on me. If not, no thanks.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

wait was anyone advocating buying drinks on an airplane?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm still stuck on the idea people willingly fly commercial in this country anymore.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Godholio posted:

I'm still stuck on the idea people willingly fly commercial in this country anymore.

Willingly is the key word here

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

It's remarkably non-lovely if you think ahead and make the slightest preparations. Also if watching idiots miss their flights gives you a sense of shadenfreude.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Godholio posted:

Seeing family, friends and places is cool and good and part of a normal existence so a mild inconvenience for 2-6 hours is usually worth it to many.

Never change goons. Bonjour from the Eurostar on the way to Paris.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Not giving a poo poo has been really beneficial to me in terms of dealing with the major and minor aggravations of commercial air travel.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

I'm Mr. T in the A-Team when it comes to flying, sorry

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I drink on flights because its classy as hell. But also I only fly for pleasure so the second I get checked into the airport, Im officially on vacation.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Yeah - that's the CFR I was thinking about. But I haven't ever heard it in an airline safety speech until this year, and furthermore I've read dozens of articles about getting minibottles through security with TSA being like "yeah sure, good idea, go for it" and even arguments that it was legal.

I'm more than willing to believe it was just people ignoring a CFR for years but I'm curious what changed to put it in the speech.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Psion posted:

Yeah - that's the CFR I was thinking about. But I haven't ever heard it in an airline safety speech until this year, and furthermore I've read dozens of articles about getting minibottles through security with TSA being like "yeah sure, good idea, go for it" and even arguments that it was legal.

I'm more than willing to believe it was just people ignoring a CFR for years but I'm curious what changed to put it in the speech.

Probably a number of incidents with drunk passengers happened in the last reporting period.

block51
Jun 18, 2002

Ghetto? Yes, But I still shop there.

Acid Reflux posted:

Here's a quick writeup on that Piedmont Dash-8 painted in the retro livery for their CEO's retirement. I'd kind of put it out of my mind since the project was so hush-hush, but now that the company is writing about it, I guess I can finally say that our paint shop really knocked it out of the park with that one. :) Those guys really do a great job on everything they touch, but this one was a cut above. We might not be a huge company as far as MROs go, but our CEO is awesome about bringing in the cool stuff when he can.

http://cla.aero/cl-completes-one-kind-piedmont-retro-livery-american-airlines/

I got a good picture (well... an OK picture...) of it sitting on the ramp at SBY on 5/25/16! They were fixing the sliding doors on gate 2 that day so the drat truck is in the way!

I didn't know the story behind it though!

block51 fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jun 7, 2016

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

wolrah posted:

You usually can't bring your own food or drink in to a bar or restaurant in any way...

Am I missing something? Because bringing alcohol into restaurants that don't serve, or have 'bottle service' is totally a thing and so is bringing food into bars that don't have a kitchen.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Restaurant/bar proprietors are allowed to make whatever rules they want, and so are the airlines. Jesus.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Murgos posted:

Am I missing something? Because bringing alcohol into restaurants that don't serve, or have 'bottle service' is totally a thing and so is bringing food into bars that don't have a kitchen.

Depends on state and city.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Murgos posted:

That's the key. Your example doesn't apply because airlines do serve alcohol.

Plus it's a lot easier for one drunk jackass to cause a panic when everyone else is trapped in a pressurized tube with them, so the airlines have a little extra incentive there too.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Safety Dance posted:

Restaurant/bar proprietors are allowed to make whatever rules they want, and so are the airlines. Jesus.

No, not really. The State does that. For example, in Texas, if a business serves alcohol, it is a crime to bring alcohol in or take it out of the premises as a customer. If you can sell alcohol for consumption off-premises, it is a crime to consume it on the premises where you bought the alcohol. If you don't have a liquor license at all, that's the only time that patrons can bring in alcohol and drink it there, but you are going to lose out on :homebrew: income from alcohol sales. Restaurants, airlines, etc., can't violate those rules or face fines and loss of their liquor license.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I flew on a completely empty Alitalia flight and they said we can all have unlimited wine so I did. Best flight I ever had. Sorry some of you only fly to squaresville. Partying on planes is the best thing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

regular Alitalia flights are unlimited wine too

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Does this happen often?

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/GPS-Interference-NOTAM-For-Southwest-226365-1.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Sorry if I missed this earlier but I just saw this: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/teen-fights-for-the-right-to-strap-guns-to-drones

I know drone chat gets pretty testy in here sometimes but just a quick question, does the FAA have any ground to stand on here?