Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Regarding the whole Sports Direct thing, I'm not surprised one bit by all the information thats coming out. Back in 2003 I got a job at a Donnay outlet which was one of the brand names operated by Sports Direct (or Sports Soccer as it was called then), and I've got some real horror stories of that place if anyone wanted to hear them.

I was there for a total of 6 months before I walked out on them and I was already one of their longest serving staff. This place paid 16 year olds in 2003 a starting wage of £5.50 an hour and they couldn't keep anyone because they treated their workforce so badly. I made it a point to never buy anything from that company, even when I worked there I never made use of their staff discount. It was a rotten, miserable place run by nasty people relying on teenagers who wouldn't know any better not to put up with their bullshit and who's "motivational techniques" were utterly powerless against anyone who had submitted their notice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Ludicro posted:

Regarding the whole Sports Direct thing, I'm not surprised one bit by all the information thats coming out. Back in 2003 I got a job at a Donnay outlet which was one of the brand names operated by Sports Direct (or Sports Soccer as it was called then), and I've got some real horror stories of that place if anyone wanted to hear them.

I'd certainly be interested, thanks!

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

EmptyVessel posted:

Thanks for all this, I'll look into it further but not wildly convinced by these examples. The reason I specified ethological sources is that ethology is generally focused on animal behaviour under natural conditions which neither of these experiments are at all. I have no problem agreeing that animals (or people) put into an unnatural environment and then put under stress will start to act crazy but don't see why this should be called 'superstition'.
There was a fairly recent paper discussing groups of chimps that have been observed repeatedly hurling rocks at trees for no obvious reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVv3IUGPDK8

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/brianmoore666/status/740310768688582656

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

DEPORT THE BBC!

Has anyone forwarded it to the beeb yet or told him Nige got hosed over too?

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Ah David Coburn. A poor man's trump.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Looking at the full list of votes on the Investigatory Powers Bill, one name stands out in particular.

Tom Watson voted for it, in one of the most surprising volte-faces imaginable because he's usually pretty canny about tech issues.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

TinTower posted:

Tom Watson voted for it, in one of the most surprising volte-faces imaginable because he's usually pretty canny about tech issues.

The gently caress. That's a face heel turn if I ever saw one.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Extreme0 posted:

Isn't he a wrestling fan too?

Conference season this year would be much more exciting if an anti-Corbyn coup among the backbenchers was being orchestrated by a "higher power", only for Tom to reveal himself by saying "IT'S ME, CORBYN! IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, CORBYN!"

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Kipper gonna kip.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Extreme0 posted:

Surprised to see David Davis caving or abstaining as well, since someone said there was only one Tory rebel and it wasn't him.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Dominic Grieve looked uncomfortable all day. In the "I want to vote against this but the Pigfucker General has my balls in a vice" sense.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Bunch of my friends are going festivalling tomorrow, do they have to be worried about having a tiny swiss army knife with them to cut food and stuff or does the law account for things like living in a tent for a week?

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Not related to anything in particular, but this thread seems to know its 80's politics, so: I'm watching Spitting Image's 1987 election special, and I cannot for the life of me identify the fifth guy in the famous 'We're Useless' song. Neil Kinnock, Roy Hattersley, Dennis Healey, Michael Foot, and ??? I've spent half an hour looking up 80's Labour leaders without any luck. Can anyone please help, it's driving me crazy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iAzIkjO3G0&t=750s

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Could it be Blair? He was already a Thing in 87.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/Oli_Coulson/status/739385154066604032

:whitewater:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Coohoolin posted:

Bunch of my friends are going festivalling tomorrow, do they have to be worried about having a tiny swiss army knife with them to cut food and stuff or does the law account for things like living in a tent for a week?
As long as the blade is under 3" long and it folds but doesn't lock in the opening or closing position it's fine. Apparently that last bit is due to an overbroad reading of a line designed to prohibit most switchblades and autoknives without having to specifically ban each one, and never was supposed to ban safety locking knives, but people have been done for those before so it might just be that they like to laugh when it opens in your pocket and stabs you in the thigh, or closes on your fingers when you're whittling.

If you have a good reason, you can carry anything of any length or locking type as long as it would be broadly understood to fit the purpose and you're not being a dick.

That's as written in England & Wales. In Scotland I think it's broadly the same but you can also wear a sgian dubh if you're also wearing a kilt. I'm not being facetious, national dress was added alongside religion on the 'good reason' thing.

Unkempt posted:

Could it be Blair? He was already a Thing in 87.
If only they'd done the copper wire test before letting him become leader.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I wear trousers can I carry a foot long Seax?

Or, presumably, in Coohoolin's case he can carry a pike.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 8, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

OwlFancier posted:

If I wear trousers can I carry a foot long Seax?

Or, presumably, in Coohoolin's case he can carry a pike.

Trousers wouldn't be enough for my Seax :smug:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Apraxin posted:

Not related to anything in particular, but this thread seems to know its 80's politics, so: I'm watching Spitting Image's 1987 election special, and I cannot for the life of me identify the fifth guy in the famous 'We're Useless' song. Neil Kinnock, Roy Hattersley, Dennis Healey, Michael Foot, and ??? I've spent half an hour looking up 80's Labour leaders without any luck. Can anyone please help, it's driving me crazy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iAzIkjO3G0&t=750s
Wouldn't think it's Blair because he wasn't even in the Shadow Cabinet in '87. Only suggestion I have is Gerald Kaufman who was Shadow Home Secretary going into the election.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

TinTower posted:

Looking at the full list of votes on the Investigatory Powers Bill, one name stands out in particular.

Hmm, an MP who is pretty canny about tech (and privacy) issues voted for a Bill which all of the major CSPs have agreed to and which addresses (almost) all of the privacy issues raised about the existing legislation.

Must be some sort of conspiracy!

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

forkboy84 posted:

Wouldn't think it's Blair because he wasn't even in the Shadow Cabinet in '87. Only suggestion I have is Gerald Kaufman who was Shadow Home Secretary going into the election.
Yeah, it isn't Blair - he didn't have any leadership position in 87 (stood for the shadow cabinet but didn't get in), and SI's original take on him was an unctuous little schoolboy in old-style cap and short trousers. Kaufman was one of my thoughts too, but even back then he was bald and wore glasses, and one of the related videos had a different puppet for him, so it's not him either!

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jun 8, 2016

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Apraxin posted:

Yeah, it isn't Blair - he didn't have any leadership position in 87 (stood for the shadow cabinet but didn't get in), and SI's original take on him was an unctuous little schoolboy in old-style cap and short trousers.

Who among us could grasp what that schoolboy would unleash?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Howdy Ober, I know you don't like poo poo news stories when you wake up;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-36472234

Auntie posted:

Disabled girl handcuffed by Sussex Police, IPCC finds

The police watchdog said the force had failed to to respond effectively to the needs of a vulnerable child

An 11-year-old girl with a neurological disability was handcuffed and put in leg restraints while being held in custody, the police watchdog has found.

The girl was detained for a total of 60 hours without an appropriate adult by Sussex Police.

A number of officers and staff members had a case to answer for misconduct, the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) said.

Sussex Police said it would respond to any "new learning" identified.

The girl, named Child H in the IPCC's report, was arrested three times and detained under the Mental Health Act once between 2 February and 2 March 2012.

Her disability had not been diagnosed at the time of the police contact, but her mother had told officers she believed she had an autism spectrum disorder.

Despite this, the IPCC found she was twice held overnight in police cells, without a parent, guardian or social worker present to support her.

She was also restrained using a mesh anti-spit hood, handcuffs and leg straps.

The IPCC concluded that a number of officers and members of police staff had a case to answer for misconduct.

Two of those identified - a custody sergeant and an inspector - who, according to investigators, failed to ensure an appropriate adult was present, have since retired.

The force took "management action" against six custody sergeants found to have failed to ensure an appropriate adult was present.

It disciplined another custody sergeant found to have failed to ensure Child H was dealt with quickly, and two police constables who restrained the girl in handcuffs, in the same manner.

The watchdog found all nine had a case to answer for misconduct.

No further action was taken against a former front desk enquiry officer who the IPCC believed had failed to treat Child H's mother according to her needs, a call handler for failing to log sufficient information about the girl's condition, and against a police constable who, in the view of the investigator, had a case to answer for misconduct.

On a number of occasions, officers did not record any rationale for their use of force on the youngster, who has "a neurological disability which can cause challenging behaviour", inspectors said.

Her mother, known as Ms H, said in a statement through her solicitors: "My daughter's contact with the police in 2012 was nothing short of a nightmare for both of us.

"At the time her disability meant that she could behave in very challenging ways, but what she needed was patience, respect and the support of her mother.

The girl was restrained with handcuffs, leg restraints and a mesh anti-spit hood

"Instead she was locked up in a police station without me or anyone else who knew her for support.

"I know that some of the officers were doing their best, but I cannot understand why others thought it was appropriate to put an 11-year-old girl in handcuffs and leg restraints.

"I can't accept that it will ever be appropriate for the police to hood a disabled child, regardless of how they behave.

"I call on Sussex Police to stop doing this to children immediately."

The watchdog made a number of recommendations after its investigation, including:

• Improved training on the use of force on children and adults with mental illness, to ensure the use of force is avoided wherever possible

• Additional training on detaining vulnerable people and the role of an appropriate adult

• Ensuring officers are accountable for their use of force

IPCC Commissioner Jennifer Izekor said: "This was a complex investigation, which found Sussex Police officers failed to respond effectively to the needs of a vulnerable child.

"While it is clear Child H had significant behavioural problems arising from her disability, Sussex Police and, indeed other agencies which were - or should have been - involved, did not appear to have the skills and capacity to respond to her effectively. The situation was exacerbated by the lack of understanding of Child H's complex needs."

Ms Izekor added she was pleased the force had engaged with Child H's family to improve any future dealings with her after the IPCC launched its investigation.

The force's temporary Deputy Chief Constable, Robin Smith, said: "As a chief officer I have a duty to protect officers and the public when we are called on for help, whether the threat comes from a child or someone who is unwell.

"This is very often the case and it was on several occasions that the girl's mother called for our help.

"The application of any type of restraint is considered only when the level of resistance causes concern for the safety of the detained person, the officer and other members of the public."

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
gently caress the po-lice.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Let's all hope this leads to a bold and progressive discussion on exactly what kind of children it's fine to put in shackles.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
acab imho

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Should we shackle the children of police?

Or just children dressing up as police officers?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Coohoolin posted:

If you couldn't use them when camping, why the gently caress would camping shops sell them?

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

As long as the blade is under 3" long and it folds but doesn't lock in the opening or closing position it's fine. Apparently that last bit is due to an overbroad reading of a line designed to prohibit most switchblades and autoknives without having to specifically ban each one, and never was supposed to ban safety locking knives, but people have been done for those before so it might just be that they like to laugh when it opens in your pocket and stabs you in the thigh, or closes on your fingers when you're whittling.

If you have a good reason, you can carry anything of any length or locking type as long as it would be broadly understood to fit the purpose and you're not being a dick.

That's as written in England & Wales. In Scotland I think it's broadly the same but you can also wear a sgian dubh if you're also wearing a kilt. I'm not being facetious, national dress was added alongside religion on the 'good reason' thing.

If only they'd done the copper wire test before letting him become leader.

A point on this - this is the law as written but festivals are big private events and if you get searched on arrival and they don't want you having it then they can deny entry. You won't get arrested but but you might lose you knife!

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Total Meatlove posted:

If you couldn't use them when camping, why the gently caress would camping shops sell them?
Not everyone goes camping with thousands of other people in a private field with plentiful alcohol?

I don't really see how a tiny swiss army knife is going to raise flags though (you could do far more damage more easily with a hammer or metal tent peg) and a quick Google suggests they are fine at Glastonbury at least.

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Coohoolin posted:

As Gruffalo Soldier says it's really up to the festival (which one is it incidentally? The strictness can vary hugely) and the whims of the security staff, but based on personal experience it's a) not that likely they'll be searched (again, depends on the festival), b) very unlikely security staff will care about a Swiss army knife and, c) basically unheard of that they'd be refused entry for having one

clear eyes full farts
Jul 3, 2007

the uk is just awful
It's a fake democracy
with free education and healthcare as long as you are a dosser and I am trapped here :(

it'll be fine in the campground, not in the arena/performance area(s)

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

TinTower posted:

Watson might be prone to resigning at inconvenient moments but as far as I can tell he's a down-the-line whip loyalist.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OvineYeast posted:

Watson might be prone to resigning at inconvenient moments but as far as I can tell he's a down-the-line whip loyalist.

The vote wasn't whipped though.

OvineYeast
Jul 16, 2007

Freiheit ist immer Freiheit der Andersdenkenden

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The vote wasn't whipped though.

Huh, stand corrected.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Mister Adequate posted:

Howdy Ober, I know you don't like poo poo news stories when you wake up;
The Act still largely based on the 1983 one written by the people who thought it was a good idea to give Sir James Savile direct access to hospitals has resulted in the serious abuse of a vulnerable child?

I suspect everyone involved was following both letter and spirit. :gonk:

Gruffalo Soldier
Feb 23, 2013

Niric posted:

As Gruffalo Soldier says it's really up to the festival (which one is it incidentally? The strictness can vary hugely) and the whims of the security staff, but based on personal experience it's a) not that likely they'll be searched (again, depends on the festival), b) very unlikely security staff will care about a Swiss army knife and, c) basically unheard of that they'd be refused entry for having one

Yeah to clarify when I say 'refused entry' I mean 'refused entry with the knife'. They'll still let you in. They might take your knife though. And your extra beer. And the weed you hid in your suncream.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/740496476757970944
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/740497560519991298

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Apparently Labour heartlands in Wales are really gunning for Leave.

• Locked thread