Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Quidnose posted:

There are a lot of people in the mafia community right now who have inserted themselves seemingly for the reason of solely trolling and being a dick to everyone. I have always seen this community as one of the best on SA with a lot of awesome people who have been incredibly close in spite of the fact that we all play a game where we call each other liars and terrible at reading and the like. But a small few have been really, incredibly toxic in the last couple of games that I have played and it's getting super old. I don't think I'm being over sensitive here because it is going beyond the context of in game and becoming mean spirited and pervasive.

As such, I am going to take a break from mafia, because I'm sick and tired of these people joining as many games as they can and then making GBS threads on the hard work of players, mods, and the spirit of the game by not playing mafia and instead just being jerks. This isn't about playstyle, because I know a lot of people in this community who I respect and enjoy playing with in spite of the fact that they don't play the way I play. This is about coming in here and making GBS threads on games. It'd be great if it stopped.

Hope everyone has a nice summer.

Quidnose, I apologize for any obsdoc comments that were hurtful - I realized I've been very bad about that in some of them lately and am curbing that habit. Have a good break and see you when you return!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

Quidnose posted:

I would not have requested a replacement if I had remembered or seen that because that game is smaller. I apologize if it hurts your game at all since I know you put effort into it.

it's cool yo, don't worry about it

glad that you were upfront about it

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Kashuno posted:

I am learning today how cheap it is to travel these days to most places if you book a couple months out and I am going to spend way too much money traveling I think

Are you using wowair? I've heard good things.

Quidnose posted:

As such, I am going to take a break from mafia

Boooooooo (I get it though, hope you come back soon!)

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Yeah there's a difference between shitposting and making GBS threads on people.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Allen Wren posted:

Yeah there's a difference between shitposting and making GBS threads on people.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I like the latter within reason

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Spiros posted:

I like the latter within reason

you're dumb, but just a bit

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

You're dumb but you're also a human being with inherent value, now listen to me you mongoloid

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It just occured to me that society has done a decent job of weeding out obviously racist phrases but mongoloid has just sort of slipped through

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

I love the word because it was the first insult I learned from the internet

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's pretty funny but I also somehow just realized the origin of it

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

You drat trapezoid!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mongoloid actually refers to people with Downs Syndrome, so it's racist and ableist. Yes I'm going to say that unironically, get hosed if you want to start poo poo over that.

It's also a DEVO track with a killer riff but somewhat-embarrassing lyrics.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

Allen Wren posted:

Mongoloid actually refers to people with Downs Syndrome, so it's racist and ableist. Yes I'm going to say that unironically, get hosed if you want to start poo poo over that.

Apparently it was used to describe the pathology of Downs syndrome as an actual medical term. Just like idiot, imbecile, and moron were medical terms to describe people with varying degrees of mental disability.

Yes, it's not an appropriate word to use and I wouldn't condone it, but that's how this works. The word is used medically, gets picked up by laymen and used as an insult, then can no longer be used medically because of the negative connotation, so the medical community has to find new words to describe medical conditions.

Technically calling someone an "idiot" should be offensive to people with profound mental disability, but nobody gives a gently caress anymore.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Adahn1986 posted:

Apparently it was used to describe the pathology of Downs syndrome as an actual medical term. Just like idiot, imbecile, and moron were medical terms to describe people with varying degrees of mental disability.

Yes, it's not an appropriate word to use and I wouldn't condone it, but that's how this works. The word is used medically, gets picked up by laymen and used as an insult, then can no longer be used medically because of the negative connotation, so the medical community has to find new words to describe medical conditions.

Technically calling someone an "idiot" should be offensive to people with profound mental disability, but nobody gives a gently caress anymore.

a lot of people do, and a lot of people hate "crazy" now

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

This slippery slope we're sliding down, one day we might have to be nice to each other due to censored words.

I don't want to live in this world.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Allen Wren posted:

actually, crazy idiot, it's a racist term for asian people, so it's still okay to use.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Adahn1986 posted:

I think this loses some impact when the etymology for mongoloid in reference to downs is that "they look like mongolians" and in the 60s they stopped using it because it was too racist for even that period of time

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

PBS Newshour posted:

a lot of people do, and a lot of people hate "crazy" now

This is why I don't really understand the PC movement. The only reason to be offended by a word is if it's true, and if it's true then you should own it. Having people point out your weaknesses shouldn't prompt you to scream at them for discriminating against you, rather it should present an opportunity for you to address how you feel about the label.

Then again, people are pretty loving weak and pathetic sometimes.

God, being a misanthrope feels good.

Tobbs Gnawed
Apr 4, 2007

All round mafia nice guy

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I think this loses some impact when the etymology for mongoloid in reference to downs is that "they look like mongolians" and in the 60s they stopped using it because it was too racist for even that period of time

Oh, it's racist as hell, I'm not denying that. I'm just pointing out that it's just words, and if you call someone an idiot, moron, or imbecile it should be offensive for the same reasons.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

When I first heard it I thought it was about that but I was assured it wasn't. People are weird.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Adahn1986 posted:

Then again, people are pretty loving weak and pathetic sometimes.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

if i ever see anyone here call anyone else a clown i will cut their head off

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

GulagDolls posted:

if i ever see anyone here call anyone else a clown i will cut their head off

ur a clown l0l

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Quidnose posted:

There are a lot of people in the mafia community right now who have inserted themselves seemingly for the reason of solely trolling and being a dick to everyone.
Boring and pointless post if you don't name names. I haven't been paying attention lately, tell who to blackList.

Lumpen
Apr 2, 2004

I'd been happy, and I was happy still. For all to be accomplished,
for me to feel less lonely,
all that remained to hope
was that on the day of my execution
there should be a huge crowd of spectators and that they should
greet me with howls of execration.
Plaster Town Cop

Spiros posted:

This slippery slope we're sliding down, one day we might have to be nice to each other due to censored words.

I don't want to live in this world.
Fight of the passive aggressive newspeak future :
"Bless your heart!"
"Bless YOUR heart!"
"BLESS YOUR HEART!!!!"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i have said this a lot before but there isn't a robocop or pc problem. everyone has a voice, people are aware of that, so people want to exercise their voice on every issue now and a lot of times just want to be angry so they can feel superior to something cause everyone has the internet now and its really easy to.

there isn't anything liberal about it, like there is no difference between the crazy people in gamergate or the mras who got pissed at mad max and "sjws" or crazy people on tumblr besides teh flavor of their politics.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I've never seen sjw myself

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I've never seen sjw myself

its really good

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Thats why people love Trump, he isn't PC

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Hello Adahn, I have never seen you post before and I am just curious if you are new or a namechange.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

This conversation

is lame

:grin:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Lumpen posted:

Boring and pointless post if you don't name names. I haven't been paying attention lately, tell who to blackList.

I agree with this post, but I can't tell what part of me actually wants to blacklist folks and what part of me is just upset that some people hurt quidnose.

drat you people, how could you kill quid's spirit like this

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Quidnose you're a cool guy and fun to play with even if it's super frustrating when you tunnel me

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

The first time I got irl mad in a mafia game it was at quidnose but you learn pretty quickly it's because he takes the game more seriously (and subsequently is much better than me) than anyone else.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Tremendous Taste posted:

This conversation

is lame

:grin:

:byodood:

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I made a game
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779325

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Do not sign up to his games.
Bigfoot will rape your butt.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...
this sounds like the game for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, Quidnose, I hope you don't wander off completely. I was planning on talking about that exact topic when my game ended. I know Max and a few others wanted to talk about it too. So hopefully you can join in on the conversation then.