Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eldrinkycrowjay
Jun 26, 2012

Dave_Indeed posted:

Shotguns are bullshit unless it's an over/under.

Side-by-side for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

eldrinkycrowjay posted:

Side-by-side for life.

gently caress you dude.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Roylicious posted:

Right when I posted that I thought about crack heads being crack heads and yeah alright. That's fair enough. I don't live in that kind of neighborhood though so I never felt the need but obv not all places are the same. If you want a gun to defend yourself with I'm not saying you shouldn't have one.

But, to be fair, if dude brained her with a lamp while she was watching TV she didn't have the chance to defend herself anyway, same for the bar dude probably. I'm talking about you're in your bedroom and you hear a break in and you make the conscious decision to go unlock your gun, load rounds into the magazine, etc (unless you just keep it loaded and in a drawer I guess but that seems dumb to me) versus just running out the back window or something. For all you know you're going to miss and then the robber stabs/shoots you in the confusion.

According to the ruling, Jackson was home alone that night and was in bed reading the Bible when she heard her dogs barking. She got up to see what was happening and noticed a man at the back patio door that she did not know or recognize.

The man, later identified as Riley, 53, started “banging on her patio door, yelling obscenities and threatening to kill her,” the opinion shows.

Jackson called 911 to report the incident and also retrieved a shotgun from a closet. Riley attempted to gain entry to the home by kicking and banging on the door; he finally gained entry by breaking the glass door with a patio table.

“Mrs. Jackson fired her weapon, striking the man one time in the chest, causing a fatal wound,” Smothermon said.

Based on the investigation, Smothermon said evidence at the scene of the home was consistent with Jackson’s statements. Riley’s body was found with his feet inside the threshold of the home; pieces of glass inside the home from the broken glass also had prints consistent with Riley’s boots.

http://m.news-star.com/article/20091209/NEWS/312099962

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Edgar posted:

Does your shotgun shoot nicely? I am thinking buying a 870 action express to kill some rabbits.

late, but don't buy any remington product made after 2007. they got bought out and the stuff they make now is astoundingly lovely.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Roylicious posted:

Right when I posted that I thought about crack heads being crack heads and yeah alright. That's fair enough. I don't live in that kind of neighborhood though so I never felt the need but obv not all places are the same. If you want a gun to defend yourself with I'm not saying you shouldn't have one.

But, to be fair, if dude brained her with a lamp while she was watching TV she didn't have the chance to defend herself anyway, same for the bar dude probably. I'm talking about you're in your bedroom and you hear a break in and you make the conscious decision to go unlock your gun, load rounds into the magazine, etc (unless you just keep it loaded and in a drawer I guess but that seems dumb to me) versus just running out the back window or something. For all you know you're going to miss and then the robber stabs/shoots you in the confusion.

Distance is always the best single defense, if it's just you and your things. A proper door and deadbolt probably cost less than a pistol too, if you're not on the ground floor. Still, u can't blow tin cans up w/ ur homeowners insurance, so that's one in the negative column for passive measures.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

eldrinkycrowjay posted:

Side-by-side for life.

Sorryformybadjokes
Apr 21, 2004

I identify as a simian who pronounces the 'silent' letters in words.
Fallen Rib
I just live in NZ where we pay our criminals a living wage

Sorryformybadjokes fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 7, 2016

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Jeff Sichoe posted:

I live in Texas, a state where it's legal to shoot an arsonist, fleeing the scene of the crime, in the back. :clint:

Edit: eh, the wording of Texas Penal Code § 9.42 is such that I believe said act upholds the spirit of the law, if not the letter...

*ch-chk*

And that's good enough for me. :clint:

The Bananana fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 7, 2016

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

don't do the crime if you cant do the time imo

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Dave_Indeed posted:

gently caress you dude.

Side-by-side makes more sense for just about every conceivable purpose though :confused:

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
I hear these are good to use when you have an itch in the back of your throat or the roof of your mouth OP. Confirm/Deny?

Cartouche
Jan 4, 2011

Roylicious posted:

Tezzor spotted.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I inherited a Remington 1100 from my dad. Gas operated semi auto 4 lyfe :hellyeah:

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth

EmperorFritoBandito posted:

Side-by-side makes more sense for just about every conceivable purpose though :confused:

No, it doesn't. There's a good reason every pro skeet/trap shooter ever runs an O/U.
SxS belong in cowboy shooting competitions and on the farm, or to protect your wagon from highwaymen, that is all.

Worlds Smuggest
Mar 13, 2010
I believe everyone should understand some basic level of self defense.

Guns, Flamethrower, kitchen knife, or High explosives, what ever you feel comfortable taking legal responsibility for the use and ownership of.

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
Any legit self defense will teach you to get the gently caress away if at all possible first, though.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
of the two ranges near here one says no shotguns allowed and the other says "shotguns must be authorized by staff"

I might just have to practice in the backyard and hope no busybody neighbors call the cops

Worlds Smuggest
Mar 13, 2010

Ein cooler Typ posted:

of the two ranges near here one says no shotguns allowed and the other says "shotguns must be authorized by staff"

I might just have to practice in the backyard and hope no busybody neighbors call the cops

Do not do this,

or if you do, post to GBS.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Ein cooler Typ posted:

you can do it in the house just make sure you set up two couch cushions against the wall to act as a backstop

safety first

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

safetyStanddown posted:

No, it doesn't. There's a good reason every pro skeet/trap shooter ever runs an O/U.

Like I said, you use O/U for dumb games and side-by-side for actual real life things.

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

Like I said, you use O/U for dumb games and side-by-side for actual real life things.

Real life things like shooting small, fragile, and highly mobile things out of the sky?

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Dogmeat posted:

Real life things like shooting small, fragile, and highly mobile things out of the sky?

See: Dumb games

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

See: Birds

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx
My point.

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Trap and skeet Olympians use the O/U. SxS is way harder to point precisely. What purposes do you have in mind other than that?

I used to shoot sporting clay tournaments, never met a serious competitor that used anything other than o/u or a semi.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

Don't over/unders kick out the spent shells all cool when you open them? That's a p. big win right there.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Ork of Fiction posted:

Don't over/unders kick out the spent shells all cool when you open them? That's a p. big win right there.

Yeah. So do side by sides, pumps, and semi autos, though

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Ork of Fiction posted:

all new shotguns do this unless they are modeled after an old timey one

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
Next thing you know, you'll be telling me that other guns let the bullets out after you pull the trigger!

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013
NEway, here's my shotgun. Sometimes I have to pull the shells out by hand. :psyduck:

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

When the trumpcolypse happens you'll be laughing at the unprepared scrubs without shotguns

Dogmeat
Jun 20, 2003

Woof!

I guess we're just confused of what other purpose you think shotguns have except to primarily shoot birds out of the sky.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Ein cooler Typ posted:

They had some mosin nagants at the pawn shop but they were all like $500

what the gently caress...

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Jeff Sichoe posted:

all five of them

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

Dogmeat posted:

I guess we're just confused of what other purpose you think shotguns have except to primarily shoot birds out of the sky.

Shooting things that, uh, aren't birds?

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

"greasing" "goblins"

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Roylicious posted:

If someone broke into my house (which is already really unlikely but alright) I'd rather just let them have the TV or whatever rather than kill them.

pussy

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Roylicious posted:

If someone broke into my house (which is already really unlikely but alright) I'd rather just let them have the TV or whatever rather than kill them.
What if they want your body???

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
but how does it taste?
That's probably the number one thing I'm looking for when purchasing firearms. Taste and mouth-feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If I was in the US I'd totally get a shotgun and comtemplate the barrel with a mix of curiosity and existential confusion

• Locked thread