Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
it's been a good day so far in this thread and worlds isn't even over yet

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
I prefer not to roll with women unless they're really hot then it's okay.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Girls are gross obv

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
I'm an extreme newbie beginner but it was hard for me to tell if I was doing the sweep drill correctly, she was so light. Also I guess I'm a bit apprehensive about squashing them as I am a big dude at 215.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
I'm sure that the girl isn't exactly stoked on drilling with a fat 1 month white belt every day either.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

kickascii posted:

I'm an extreme newbie beginner but it was hard for me to tell if I was doing the sweep drill correctly, she was so light. Also I guess I'm a bit apprehensive about squashing them as I am a big dude at 215.

In BJJ you're gonna have to go with people lighter with you, and if you're above 200 you're gonna have to do it a lot. Get used to it, and look on it as an opportunity to work on precision.

kickascii
Mar 30, 2010
Yeah I had a flashback to 8th grade, getting picked last for kickball. Everyone partnered up quick and we were the ones left.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Here's a thought. Who's she most likely to use BJJ against in a real life application? Yep, your creepy 215lbs rapist rear end. Let her learn.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
:drat:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Being a flexible girl can be like a BJJ cheat code. I'll be like "rad I have her heel... ok, pressure pass, move around into side control and... how the gently caress am I in her full guard again?"

It's like grappling against an M.C. Escher drawing.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

JaySB posted:

Here's a thought. Who's she most likely to use BJJ against in a real life application? Yep, your creepy 215lbs rapist rear end. Let her learn.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Being a flexible girl can be like a BJJ cheat code. I'll be like "rad I have her heel... ok, pressure pass, move around into side control and... how the gently caress am I in her full guard again?"

It's like grappling against an M.C. Escher drawing.

We have a female brown belt that I loving hate rolling against. I can not create a space small enough to contain her.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

fatherdog posted:

In BJJ you're gonna have to go with people lighter with you, and if you're above 200 you're gonna have to do it a lot. Get used to it, and look on it as an opportunity to work on precision.

As a >200 pounder, the other day I drilled mount escapes with one of the few people in class bigger than me. Holy poo poo, I am so sorry little people.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

Neon Belly posted:

As a >200 pounder, the other day I drilled mount escapes with one of the few people in class bigger than me. Holy poo poo, I am so sorry little people.

There are a few guys bigger than me who train at the fundamentals class at my gym, including a couple big fat dudes. I'd really like to work with them but they always seem to pair up with the smallest person.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

JaySB posted:

Girls are gross obv

yea. i get to roll around with attractive women on the reg. if you think jiu jitsu is anything less than a thinly-veiled excuse for me to know the intimate primal touch of a man you are mistaken

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wangsbig posted:

yea. i get to roll around with attractive women on the reg. if you think jiu jitsu is anything less than a thinly-veiled excuse for me to know the intimate primal touch of a man you are mistaken

my wife is basically convinced that I'm into men now, thanks jiu jitsu. No seriously thanks, if this means less kids.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I had a question about grappling cardio. My normal cardio is decent, my grappling cardio is much less so. In the past week or so I've made a point to roll more and take less breaks during open mats, I was wondering if that could be counter productive at a certain point? Today I was completely shot at the end and just poorly defending, I was thinking maybe I should roll up to the point of being extremely tired but maybe not completely gassed for two more rolls.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

roll untuil youre fukken daed

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Just my two cents. But keep rolling till you're dead while trying to focus on technique and breathing. Once you're dead, keep rolling. The fact you won't rely on your strength could make you work on your technique even more. Even if you mostly only get passed because you're completely gassed.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Roll more, focus on technique and timing and don't rely on your strength as much.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rolling at 10th planet Burbank was a blast. First time trying a no gi class.

Applied a lot of the stuff I learned from watching Stephan Kesting videos and at least I know now that pulling guard is a thing that you do and it keeps you from getting owned instantly.

I did tap some younger dude like 5 times but that's probably not fair because I think I just brute forced the poo poo out of him.

All the dudes I rolled with seemed stoked after which is also new, I guess not getting owned immediately is helping.

soy fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 7, 2016

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

My first competition as a blue belt is going to be the Nationals. How bad should I expect to be owned?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I used to think I had great grappling cardio but the reality is that I'm just really lazy when I train so I don't expend much energy and I outlast most people

Cons: I get tapped a lot
Pros: It's funny when I come up against my teammates in competitions because they think they have my number until I annihilate them with nerd rage

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.
So this is a potentially interesting idea:

RollTec Grappling: The first wearable made for grapplers.

It seems pretty basic so far - it only supports four basic positions and merely calculates the time spent in each one. I mean, I'm not sure how it's going to help a guard player to become a better grappler by spending some more time in mount, on the other hand it's probably more geared towards beginners or intermediates rather than Literally Marco Garcia. Maybe as a proof of concept and with some more development time it could lead to something more?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Seltzer posted:

I had a question about grappling cardio. My normal cardio is decent, my grappling cardio is much less so. In the past week or so I've made a point to roll more and take less breaks during open mats, I was wondering if that could be counter productive at a certain point? Today I was completely shot at the end and just poorly defending, I was thinking maybe I should roll up to the point of being extremely tired but maybe not completely gassed for two more rolls.

As another white belt who lived/lives still on pure strength and athleticism to survive, I find that I don't actually start using technique until I'm exhausted. When I'm fresh I'll try something, get destroyed, use all my energy and strength to survive, look at the clock realize I still have 4:00 left, freak out, hope he submits me because I feel like I'm going to die, then start trying to focus on using technique and as little energy as possible to create space and survive.

This is how every rolling session typically goes for me. When I started I felt like death with 5:30 left, now it's down to 2:00 until I feel like death, so I'm definitely progressing and learning to relax and be more efficient.

It just takes time...

And a lot of suffering...

Lots and lots of beginner suffering.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

JaySB posted:

My first competition as a blue belt is going to be the Nationals. How bad should I expect to be owned?

You're a blue belt already? I should train more...

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Neon Belly posted:

You're a blue belt already? I should train more...

The advantages of living 2 minutes away from your gym and not having to work...

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I'd say I'd be training the same if I was in a similar situation, but probably not. Still takes a good training ethic. I'm less than five miles away from my school and barely get there three times a week (although the 8:30pm start time for classes doesn't help either).

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 7, 2016

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alfalfa posted:

As another white belt who lived/lives still on pure strength and athleticism to survive, I find that I don't actually start using technique until I'm exhausted. When I'm fresh I'll try something, get destroyed, use all my energy and strength to survive, look at the clock realize I still have 4:00 left, freak out, hope he submits me because I feel like I'm going to die, then start trying to focus on using technique and as little energy as possible to create space and survive.

This is how every rolling session typically goes for me. When I started I felt like death with 5:30 left, now it's down to 2:00 until I feel like death, so I'm definitely progressing and learning to relax and be more efficient.

It just takes time...

And a lot of suffering...

Lots and lots of beginner suffering.

I'm really glad I spent 2+ years doing strength and conditioning before starting BJJ because even with that it's pretty tiring. But more than that I'm glad I spent a lot of time building up my ligament/joint/whatever and mobility from lifting/gymnastics because as a beginner I feel like I could get injured really easily without all that... Which at this point, is my major concern alongside figuring out basic defenses and escapes and at least identifying when I'm in a position to attack.

It kinda seems from my small sample size that 10th planet is pretty rough in the rolling and as a beginner might be a little more likely to end up injured.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

anyone ever train in nashville? I've got to spend a week there due to work and have a pretty good streak going that I don't want to mar

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
I'm in a pickle. I love grappling, been at it for over a decade now on and off, but there aren't a lot of options where I currently live. The last guys I trained with promoted a familial environment, but it quickly became clear that (with one or two exceptions) they were just trying to win at all costs every training, and they were constantly talking poo poo behind each other's backs. On top of that, when I hosed up my knee I discovered that they didn't even have the basic medical supplies, had to ask for a cup of ice from the restaurant next door.

Now after a long rehab I decided to come back and try a new place that's popped up. BB instructor is chill, but it's weird. The mats don't get washed, and when I asked if he was concerned about staph he just shrugged. It's a small group cause the program's still so new, and he makes a point of asking me what I want to train, but doesn't listen to my response at all. Yesterday, at his prompting, I asked about back takes from top and so he showed us the basic halfguard to reguard sequence? Today again he starts class asking what I want to do, so I asked if I might get a chance to work on spinning behind vs underhook escapes from side control, and he's like 'yeah cool!' and then just had us work the standard mount escape for the whole time. At 45m in everyone seemed super bored and there was a pause, so I'm like 'hey do you think I could try that spin behind thing i was talking about?' and he said sure, I did it once really slow and careful in case he was worried it was too dangerous or wacky, and he's just like 'yeah man that's perfect you've got it!' and starts us back onto mount escapes/retention (which he acknowledges I have down). And there's no open mat after class or anything, so it's not like I can just wait it out and then grab someone to drill with. And of course I do my best to develop my game while rolling, but obviously there's some stuff that you just need to drill and perfect before it's gonna work live.

tldr, I feel like the 'instruction' around here is actually holding me back. I know that there are lots of ways I could tighten up my game, and I know what kind of stuff I enjoy learning/doing, but I don't get any time to work on any of it, just constant newbie drills and fights to the death. Anyone got any creative solutions? I hate feeling like I'm paying these guys to waste my time.

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 8, 2016

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Do you have any friends you could set up a garage gym with? You could probably make decent progress with a few hundred dollars worth of mats and a couple of good dvds until a better option pops up.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Everyone just move to LA or San Diego, it's cheap to live there and holy poo poo so many schools you could train at a different academy every day if you wanted and they would all own.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

beautiful los angeles, california, famously known for its low cost of living

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

soy posted:

Everyone just move to LA or San Diego, it's cheap to live there

I wasn't aware there was a big bjj scene in Liechtenstein.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

soy posted:

Everyone just move to LA or San Diego, it's cheap to live there and holy poo poo so many schools you could train at a different academy every day if you wanted and they would all own.

Las Vegas

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
I grew up in SD and honestly I'd love to be closer to family and BJJ heaven but low cost of living? Where can I get some of that? Everything I see is like '1bed0bath shipping crate: $2000/mo'

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Rorion's idiot shithead kids are getting rid of online blue belts (replacing it with a white belt with a blue stripe) and are requiring their white belts to have at least a year of rolling experience before they can test for blue belts now. Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

can a blue stripe still open a franchise because lol if so