Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You know I just realized that they finally got rid of that loving god awful "you need to toggle melee mode on/off" thing they had going for a while. Now we can just alt-click again to order missile units into melee.

I'm thankful for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Wallet posted:

Have you poked around in the diplomacy AI at all? I'm not familiar with it, but I'm sort of wondering how lovely it would be to modify the AI's willingness to become someone's vassal.

Not yet, no, but it's probably in the CAI tables somewhere, and I think I saw a diplomacy one when looking for building tables.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
What's the best way to deal with bats swarming your artillery as empire? Crossbows or melee?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

They will just attack the Crossbows instead. Shoot them with the Crossbows when they're doing a fly-by, but otherwise keep reserves close to your artillery to guard them against fliers when fighting Vampire Counts. They don't really have ranged units, so they will have to die on the hill you choose to base your artillery at.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011
Crossbows would be able to hit them before they get to your artillery and wouldn't have to travel as far to hit them if they've already started attacking. Might do better to keep a melee unit by the artillery to take care of them, they would also help protect against flanking cavalry as well.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
If you are fighting someone with flyers, you should always base the appropriate melee near your artillery. This includes stuff like going up against Karl Franz on Deathclaw.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
actually ranged units shoot their max range on flying targets with no LoS penalties, so it's probably best to just shoot the gently caress out of them as they fly in. With the Dwarfs I used Gyros to lure VC flying units in front of my thunderers line, and bats tended to die instantly.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jun 9, 2016

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Has anyone tried the mod that lets you upgrade smaller settlements to higher tiers so you can build the higher-end buildings in more places? Does it feel like it negatively affects the overall game at all?

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

lilspooky posted:

I know they're working on a patch, but I'm asking what their track record is for actually seeming to properly fix things based on how they handled the older games.

Objectively speaking, on the plus side CA aren't particularly known for making knee jerk changes in response to criticism. They really do prefer to take their time with fixing things.

OTOH, that does mean patches come out slowly and they will sometimes ignore things they don't think are big enough problems to worry about.

There's also a trend for them to "fix" things in standalone expansions but not the main game, though hopefully it'll be less of an issue with Warhammer since the trilogy plan means they're stuck with supporting this game for several years.

In any case, they like to bundle big patches with content updates, so I'd expect the first major patch to be announced along with some sort of FLC/DLC or whatever.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Voyager I posted:

I'd be pretty dubious about checkerboarding with the Empire. Dwarven melee units are tough enough to bear the burden and their ranged units won't melt if some enemies slip through the gaps, but Empire infantry is of generally lower quality and their Handgunners will just die if you let cavalry hit them.

Checkerboard works really well with Empire too. While their infantry (except Greatswords) won't hold nearly as long, they will hold long enough. Just keep a couple units of Halberds in reserve and use your superior cavalry to slaughter anything that tries to flank before sending them into the infantry line. Once lategame hit I liked sticking 2-3 tanks in my front line to really bolster its toughness.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.

DO IT TO IT posted:

Has anyone tried the mod that lets you upgrade smaller settlements to higher tiers so you can build the higher-end buildings in more places? Does it feel like it negatively affects the overall game at all?

I actually make that mod, it shouldn't do anything too crazy since it takes a bit of growth to get to t4, especially for the dwarves since their baseline growth is significantly lower. I just added the ability for the AI to use them in the most recent one.

The only things it'll change is add a little to mid and late game economies and increase the odds AI armies have higher tier units in them, since they won't need province capitals to build tier 4 barracks.

Makes no changes to Chaos, Norse or Savage Orcs.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
Is there a recommend Dwarf stack for taking on end game chaos? I'm trying to figure out the mixture of armour pierce vs front line sust

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

midge posted:

Is there a recommend Dwarf stack for taking on end game chaos? I'm trying to figure out the mixture of armour pierce vs front line sust

Are ironbreakers, thunderers, and cannons not getting it done?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

There should be a mod that starts Chaos hordes with more pop. Starting at 2 with a marauder building is just trash and bad and I hate it so much. I don't mind paying for buildings but everything costs pop for hordes, not just the size upgrade. Being unable to build anything for 8-10 turns is bad and stupid.

Decus
Feb 24, 2013
The OP suggests that you move 25% slower with siege gear in your army but I'm just not seeing that in the databases and haven't really noticed it in-game either. I know some of the mods have been changing it so siege lowers your campaign movement but by default this time around CA set the action points for every unit to the same value so nothing should either speed you up (cavalry armies in previous games) or slow you down (siege in previous games) on the campaign map. If I had to guess, this was to encourage actually using siege in normal stacks for the factions that are built around having good siege to force confrontations (dwarves with their low speed, chaos with its lack of foot ranged). At the faction level they likely gave more movement bonus opportunities via heroes in stacks and technologies/time to reach technologies to the ones they felt should be buffed there, leaving everything at the faction level rather than at the stack level. This also encourages more playing around with units than what could have been if they gave each monster its own movement costs on the map.

Guess I'll also take the opportunity to super suggest that you don't use radious because it sucks, with the above being just one of the myriad of reasons for why.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Reading through the thread I have a feeling a lot of people renamed Mannfred's starting Vargulf to Fluffy.

As did I :v:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Weissritter posted:

Reading through the thread I have a feeling a lot of people renamed Mannfred's starting Vargulf to Fluffy.

As did I :v:

I came to the same conclusion and probably a high percentage of people who used renaming renamed the vargulf to fluffy.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Decus posted:

The OP suggests that you move 25% slower with siege gear in your army but I'm just not seeing that in the databases and haven't really noticed it in-game either. I know some of the mods have been changing it so siege lowers your campaign movement but by default this time around CA set the action points for every unit to the same value so nothing should either speed you up (cavalry armies in previous games) or slow you down (siege in previous games) on the campaign map. If I had to guess, this was to encourage actually using siege in normal stacks for the factions that are built around having good siege to force confrontations (dwarves with their low speed, chaos with its lack of foot ranged). At the faction level they likely gave more movement bonus opportunities via heroes in stacks and technologies/time to reach technologies to the ones they felt should be buffed there, leaving everything at the faction level rather than at the stack level. This also encourages more playing around with units than what could have been if they gave each monster its own movement costs on the map.

Guess I'll also take the opportunity to super suggest that you don't use radious because it sucks, with the above being just one of the myriad of reasons for why.

I have been meaning to test this definitively but I keep being lazy about it. Like, have a stack with a siege engine and see how far their movement goes. Disband the siege engine and end turn. Is the movement circle any bigger next turn?

If that's the case then that means artillery is way more viable than thought based on the previous information. Unfortunately much of the early game artillery underwhelms in terms of damage against units, I think this is a pretty good argument for the tier 2 stuff.

I guess get your doom divers ready boyz.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
What do you have to do to win heroic victories? I just won a fight as Mannfred against 3 full stacks of kislev troops. There was no visible yellow on the autoresolve bar. I cut off the reinforcing troops, killed them, rested, and then killed the main army. I lost ~500 troops, kislev lost ~2200. Each unit of wolves had like 300+ kills from eating runners. It was still a "decisive victory"

Then I win some base defence with a lovely garrison and whoops, heroic victory

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

terrorist ambulance posted:

What do you have to do to win heroic victories? I just won a fight as Mannfred against 3 full stacks of kislev troops. There was no visible yellow on the autoresolve bar. I cut off the reinforcing troops, killed them, rested, and then killed the main army. I lost ~500 troops, kislev lost ~2200. Each unit of wolves had like 300+ kills from eating runners. It was still a "decisive victory"

Then I win some base defence with a lovely garrison and whoops, heroic victory

I have a feeling it's some sort of weird army value based thing because I've won heroic victories on autoresolve which would imply that it's not autoresolve bar based.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Seems like a perfectly reasonable response to me. Lots of new to total war players jumped in for this game there was bound to be some confusion

I do wish they'd brought the army tab button back from attila. Being able to switch between two 20 card stacks with a button press rather than funneling through 40 cards onscreen at once was so convenient.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 9, 2016

sg54
May 9, 2012
Finished my first playthrough as the Dwarves. I tried all the rest first but settled with them. Razed the Greenskins and VC to hell. My only complaint is after 150+ turns I realized I'm still not "finished". Looks like my book of grudges has a grudge on one of the minor VC groups (Schwareajflakdflkaflkjadlsfkjalkds). I can't finish until I clear my book of grudges - the only catch is they were wiped out about 100 turns ago.

I'm going to grudge on the book of grudges and give the Empire a full playthrough now.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Mazz posted:

I actually make that mod, it shouldn't do anything too crazy since it takes a bit of growth to get to t4, especially for the dwarves since their baseline growth is significantly lower. I just added the ability for the AI to use them in the most recent one.

The only things it'll change is add a little to mid and late game economies and increase the odds AI armies have higher tier units in them, since they won't need province capitals to build tier 4 barracks.

Makes no changes to Chaos, Norse or Savage Orcs.

Awesome, I'll have to give it a try!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lol gently caress the Norse factions jfc

Skaeling currently own two settlements btw.

QuintessenceX
Aug 11, 2006
We are reasons so unreal
The occupy anywhere mod is wild. The border princes poo poo stomped the orcs and dwarves to the south while the varg have colonized the north. The VCs have decided to haunt the mountains around sylvania and stomped out all life surrounding them. This poo poo is awesome.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

The Honga site for Total War: Warhammeris up, albeit a bit rough on the edges. I find it better than the online encyclopedia for browsing and comparing stuff.

Also there's a mod that turns the province modifiers on some buildings factionwide: Global Building Bonus

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
So... running as Empire is kicking my arse. Hard diff. Mainly Norsca and various northern tribes. Dogs and fast Cav seem to dance around my blocks of spears and swords and head right to my cannons and crossbow. Had a couple of guys zig zag between 4 sword and spear units just to engage my cannon. I like running heavy cannon (4) after dwarf run. Isn't there some threat range that forces the calvary to engage my melee? I've even had then charge through my unit and hit the crossbow to almost disengage and them go from cannon to cannon group. A pain as I have to turn off the melee toggle on my crossbow and then re-select the guncrew on the cannon. A bit of a pain. Wondering why I'm so bad at micro. Also I am trying to put a protective block around the crew but marauders always dance around them. Annoying.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've made a huge mistake.

Comstar posted:

This is Total:war:Hammer. Lots of people talking about hammers.

No no, that's a mistranslation, albeit an understandable one when we're dealing with adapting a European intellectual property.

It's actually Toe-To-Tail Warhammer - goatmen, giant rats, gigantic birdmen, and other anthropomorphic animals fighting each other in a dark medieval setting.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

No no, that's a mistranslation, albeit an understandable one when we're dealing with adapting a European intellectual property.

It's actually Toe-To-Tail Warhammer - goatmen, giant rats, gigantic birdmen, and other anthropomorphic animals fighting each other in a dark medieval setting.

Dark literally -- the collapse of the whaling guild and the subsequent lighting shortage is a major plot point

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
This is probably a stupid question, but does your graphic quality setting affect load times? I have it set to medium and I know that my computer is not ideal for the game, but the game runs well apart from the minutes long load times before and after combat.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Von_Doom posted:

So... running as Empire is kicking my arse. Hard diff. Mainly Norsca and various northern tribes. Dogs and fast Cav seem to dance around my blocks of spears and swords and head right to my cannons and crossbow. Had a couple of guys zig zag between 4 sword and spear units just to engage my cannon. I like running heavy cannon (4) after dwarf run. Isn't there some threat range that forces the calvary to engage my melee? I've even had then charge through my unit and hit the crossbow to almost disengage and them go from cannon to cannon group. A pain as I have to turn off the melee toggle on my crossbow and then re-select the guncrew on the cannon. A bit of a pain. Wondering why I'm so bad at micro. Also I am trying to put a protective block around the crew but marauders always dance around them. Annoying.

Honestly I two specific armies just to deal with these assholes, and those specific armies involved heroes/generals with a lot of move speed bonuses, no artillery and a lot of white dudes with guns/bows.

Basically the American South.

EDIT: And I hunt those fuckers down like dogs. Watching them run rampant all over the north was really frustrating when they'd do literally anything to avoid my stacks, and when I did finally trap the fuckers it was all missile cav... which is largely useless but drags the battle out.

Can't wait to go north with my VC's so manfred can snipe the leader so the whole stack runs away then I can just autoresolve execute on the next move turn.

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jun 9, 2016

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Von_Doom posted:

If they're really bothering you, crossbowmen and shield spears can make squares very easily. Four spear units and two bow units per square.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wow, a random event just killed a high level sorcerer aka the only way chaos can get favored field engagements at the moment. Lame!

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Kimsemus posted:

That's not really canonical with the tabletop at all though, the Empire had some sublime elite/heavy infantry choices that made them fun to play. Plugging that gap hardly makes them symetrical imo.

Not really, though? Greatswords and assorted imperial elite infantry still got their poo poo pushed in hard if hey tried to fight stuff like Chaos Warriors or Black Orks on even ground. Imperial infantry game was always about properly using supporting detachments and cavalry/artillery support to let your squishy little humans hit above their weight. They're actually in a good spot right now - Halberds are solid defensive lineholders and monster-killers and Greatswords will hold the line agaisnt anything for an extended time and do a good amount of damage even though they'll eventually get mulched by the top-league shitwreckers.

midge posted:

I rolled Thorgrim into the Storm of Chaos with a Master Engineer, 6*Ironbreakers, 4* Hammerers, 4* Thunderers, 2*Cannons and 2*Grudgethrowers (one of these ahd the Razor Standard, the other one the banner that gves flame attacks) and he did exceedingly well in field battles and just clowned all over the poor fuckers whenever I could bait them into underground battles.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm keeping the orc camp near Marienburg as the Imperial Military Academy. Newly-minted lords and heroes are sent there to Sack it every turn until they reach a decent level.
They end each turn in Marienburg so troop losses in autoresolve are not an issue, even with a small cheap army.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

So does reaching the chapter goals speed up the chaos invasion? That could be a downside of Marienburg academy.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Have they announced Khornate LLs yet?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

genericnick posted:

So does reaching the chapter goals speed up the chaos invasion? That could be a downside of Marienburg academy.

It only counts once for chapter goals. They have to be different settlements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

CommissarMega posted:

Have they announced Khornate LLs yet?

Valkia the Bloody hopefully :pray:

• Locked thread