Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

So I just bought Doom and I'm having a strange issue:

The game launches slightly "zoomed in" so I can't see anything on the edges of the screen. Like it thinks my resolution is higher than it is.

I can't find an options menu to change it. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Try going into the campaign menu a little ways, I think you need to do that to find the settings.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The Devil Tesla posted:

Try going into the campaign menu a little ways, I think you need to do that to find the settings.

Just tried this. The settings menu is too far on the left to be visible. :(

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

smoobles posted:

The game launches slightly "zoomed in" so I can't see anything on the edges of the screen. Like it thinks my resolution is higher than it is.

smoobles posted:

I think this is the same issue I've had in the past, it's a issue with some games and the monitor being set to 59.9hz instead of 60hz or vice versa. Maybe VSync affects it, I'm not sure. If your monitor has some sort of stretch-to-fit function I'd suggest trying that, then adjusting the settings.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

smoobles posted:

i dont have the game but does alt-enter work to put it into a window so you can see/move it and access the options?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

GeForce Experience if you have an nvidia card to set settings to optimal?

A different monitor you can set to default long enough for you to change settings?

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

Accordion Man posted:

Not to mention making sure that NOLF never sees the light of day again.

I replayed the first game the other week for the first time in at least 10 years and frankly, they're doing you a favour.
The game's stealth doesn't work. The shooting sucks. The story really isn't worth mentioning.

I passed NOFL basically while screaming at it. Then I tried to start on 2, got as far as the soviet installation and just gave up on it. It's not fun. It's not worth it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

NOLF2 is better than 1 in many ways except for the part where many areas have infinitely spawning guards even when there's no alert.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

smoobles posted:

:smoobles:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

smoobles posted:

Try Disable dpi scaling in windows compatibility options?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

The funny thing is it actually wasn't. Aiden was no super leet hacker he was just the dumb violent muscle for a person that actually was one and he swiped his super duper magic hacking scripts from that guy.

Uh, I didn't say anything about whether or not Aiden was a super leet hacker, I said he was an rear end in a top hat creep redditor-type. Seems like your post is totally inline with that

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Did the discover roulette for a few hours and it is amazing the kinds of poo poo that gets on steam. Ported flash games, xblive games, etc. Even saw a few Early Access RPGmaker games.

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Jun 9, 2016

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

smoobles posted:

I always forget which F key turns games into window mode, but maybe that's possible?

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
F11 usually. Also try Alt+Enter

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
The Kojima wild ride just never ends, does it?

Part of me hopes it's true, part of me knows it's probably just confirmation bias. I've already spilled my guts over this last December, so I'm just sharing this for the heck of it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

The worst pain is the one that you won't ever let go of.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Blattdorf posted:

Part of me hopes it's true, part of me knows it's probably just confirmation bias. I've already spilled my guts over this last December, so I'm just sharing this for the heck of it.

This is from the subreddit full of people whose minds are so broken that one of them trespassed in a Manhattan office building because they thought that some magic numbers in the game were telling them that if they snuck onto a certain floor they would find something. They also thought that the script for those MGS1 car commercials were a secret code.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Blattdorf posted:

Hes gone just let it go you idiot

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The true MGS5 ending is hidden in a pachinko machine.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

corn in the bible posted:

Hes gone just let it go you idiot

Nah man don't you see, the Konami drama was all a part of his master plan!!!!!!

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'm not particularly heartbroken about Kojima's departure at Konami, but I do love those bizarre theories about him and the MGS games. He's like a Lost episode encapsulated into a human being, so people just keep looking way too deep into innocent and unrelated things that he says and does. And he totally encourages it too, it's brilliant.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Gorn Myson posted:

He's like a Lost episode encapsulated into a human being

Pretty brilliant if you ask me.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Keeps people interested in him while he falls off the earth making whatever new game his studio is working on.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Lucinice posted:

Nah man don't you see, the Konami drama was all a part of his master plan!!!!!!

It's the saddest thing since people were swearing that the Xbox One had a hidden core that would make it even more powerful than the PS4 thanks to magic DS12 and Microsoft would be activating it any day now.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I love MGS Drama please never stop posting it (I'm not kidding I live for this)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Guy Mann posted:

This is from the subreddit full of people whose minds are so broken that one of them trespassed in a Manhattan office building because they thought that some magic numbers in the game were telling them that if they snuck onto a certain floor they would find something. They also thought that the script for those MGS1 car commercials were a secret code.

That sort of thing only happens on Archer

https://imgur.com/gallery/luK4m

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Palpek posted:

The true MGS5 ending is hidden in a pachinko machine.

You jest, but:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rszPXD8PSdY

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

What are the best metroidvania's on steam? I've only got beat buddy that I know of.

Thanks guys. It's my favorite genre. I'm gonna wishlist it up for the coming storm sale.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Man, between Brigador and House of the Dying Sun it's been a real banner week for stylish, morally-bereft goon games.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Aiden would have been way more fun to play as if the game didn't constantly try to paint him in a good light and pretend he's some kind of awesome vigilante badass. If Watch_Dogs revelled and acknowledged that Aiden was a complete piece of poo poo then I'd have way less issues with the game. Though I'd still complain about the usual Ubisoft sandbox formula that I have gotten completely sick of by now.

What makes him such an rear end in a top hat? What does he do in the game? I've never played it.

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Azhais posted:

:psyduck:

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here

quote:

“Without Steam, without other platforms, it was just painful,” says another. “The Windows Store is a giant disaster. It’s on fire. 98% of PC copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider, a flagship Windows 10 game, were bought on Steam. The same is true for Minecraft. That hurt us, too. The store’s a mess; the number of people who couldn’t even install the game from the Microsoft store was… significant.”

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2016/06/09/how-fable-legends-took-down-lionhead

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Azhais posted:

:psypop:

What a time to be alive.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

2% what a market share, great job Microsoft

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

1. Banished
2. StarTopia
3. Imperium Romanum Gold Edition
4. Port Royale 2
5. 1849
6. Cities in Motion
7. AdvertCity
8. Anno 2070

9. Big Pharma

I love puzzle games, but I'm not afraid to admit when they get to be too much for me. SpaceChem is a perennial favorite of mine that I burned out on way before the end, for example. Big Pharma shares certain similarities with SpaceChem, but with a layer of corporate management on top of the mind-bending puzzles. It's an interesting combination, and also a very exhausting one.

You get to be the CEO of a pharmaceutical company, which turns out to be a lot more interior design and number-crunching than the vlogging and buying Wu-Tang albums that I expected. Starting with a small empty room, you import ingredients through hatches in the walls, run them through a gauntlet of machines, and funnel the resulting pills, creams, and tinctures back out for a profit. Each ingredient has positive and negative effects that are activated at different concentrations, so your machines can raise, lower, and rescramble concentrations to make effective medicines.

Cramming all the necessary machines and connecting converyor belts into the space you have is your primary concern. You can research and unlock more efficient machines but you're trading space efficiency for higher running costs, which must be weighed against the profit of the drug. These values in turn fluctuate with the cost of ingredients, the market demand for that cure, and any competitor companies in that market. This is the management layer I spoke of and while you can do well enough ignoring price fluctuations, more difficult scenarios and the Master-level goals require you to retool your operation based on the market, especially once patents come into play and companies start locking each other out of producing specific cures.

This additional layer of complexity may be unwelcome to those just trying to wrap their brains about their assembly lines. Cures can be upgraded to more valuable remedies by hitting specific concentrations with specific machines. This sometimes requires catalysts mixed in with special machines, which might also require re-arranging your chemical's traits with yet another machine. All of these processes must then be crammed into limited space, and layout mistakes can be costly to undo. An efficient, profitable line is incredibly gratifying to put together, but it can be a difficult road to get there.

You'll have over three dozen scenarios to choose from, with goals ranging from make X dollars over Y years to deliver Z quantity of a specific drug. Regardless of your goals, the means will be similar, building assembly lines for simple drugs while you research the ingredients and tools to make more complex ones, and refactoring everything when you start to run out of space. New machines, upgrades, and rules may come into play in later scenarios, but never to particularly dramatic effect. It's one of those games where you really have to love the core gameplay loop because it's not going to deviate much from scenario to scenario.

The presentation is perfect for a puzzle game, with clear, colorful, cartoony shapes and pleasing animations for all your machines. I want to give special recognition to the sound effects, which reach Blizzard-levels of polish for how perfect and gratifying they are to hear. Machines make delightful buzzes and clanks, belts whirr along happily, and even the buttons have rich bleeps and bloops to them. It's an excellent concept assembled and presented as well as anyone could expect, so the only question is how long you'll care to stick with it. There's not a lot of variety to building lines or running your company, but if you want to build Rube Goldbergian coveyors and tax your brain in turning a profit, you'll find no end of content to keep you happy.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Am I missing something about the GoG summer sale, or is it literally impossible to get enough XP for the middle / last games? I don't see anything about game purchases granting xp, but even it they do, it would take a LOT of purchases.

I already have the games, but it's still weird.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Xander77 posted:

I don't see anything about game purchases granting xp
If you mouse over games it has an XP amount. 1k xp per USD I'm guessing? (I have CAD enabled, so...)

odiv fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 9, 2016

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

What makes him such an rear end in a top hat? What does he do in the game? I've never played it.

Where to even begin. His whole motivation the entire game is to avenge the death of his niece, which he himself caused because he was dumb enough to hack into a bank and not expect any repercussions from it. So ever since then, he goes on a vigilante spree where he roams around the city looking for the people who ordered the hitmen that tried to kill him and killed his niece while he intercepts phone calls and emails from people on the street who get angry at another and then and goes and kicks their rear end or even murder them in cold blood for committing the heinous offense of "thought crime", before any actual crime is committed as well as randomly gently caress with road signs by hacking them so it displays some lovely unfunny Internet meme and cause traffic accidents. Meanwhile his sister and his nephew which he is very creepily attached to are getting harassing phone calls so Aiden decides the best course of action is to install surveilance cameras hidden everywhere in his sisters house and it eventually leads to his sister being kidnapped which again, is entirely Aiden's fault. There is also a section where Aiden intentionally lets himself get arrested so he can deal with someone in prison who threatens to expose his identity as the vigilante and murders countless prison guards and cops in the process.

And the game tries to frame the entire thing as a superhero origin story, where Aiden was completely in the right and is some kind of badass instead of a creepy, hosed up piece of poo poo who brought everything upon himself and refuses to accept responsibility for his own part in his niece's death and instead lashes out at others.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Xander77 posted:

Am I missing something about the GoG summer sale, or is it literally impossible to get enough XP for the middle / last games? I don't see anything about game purchases granting xp, but even it they do, it would take a LOT of purchases.

I already have the games, but it's still weird.

odiv posted:

If you mouse over games it has an XP amount. 1k xp per USD I'm guessing? (I have CAD enabled, so...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Nevvy Z posted:

Thanks guys. It's my favorite genre. I'm gonna wishlist it up for the coming storm sale.

I think Salt & Sanctuary hasn't been mentioned yet. It's often regarded as a 2D Dark Souls, but it basically has all the elements of a metroidvania as well, so I'd recommend it.

• Locked thread